No fly zones
6142 11 2015-4-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wingdriver
lvl.1

United States

I checked DJI's  no-fly zones. And usually it's around airports in such, which I totally agree with. I live in Southern California and was planning a trip up the coast to Big Sur in the redwood forests. But I just found out from a friend that you cannot fly drones on federal land. I do not know if this is true. So if anybody out there has any information about this I'd appreciate knowing the truth. Heck  I wanted to Yosemite and fly my drone climbing up the side of the mountain. Been there before and feel I could get some great footage.

I don't care for flying around subdivisions and homes. People get the wrong idea and think I'm invading the privacy, which couldn't be farther from the truth. But in Southern California it's very hard to find open areas.
2015-4-15
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Wing,

That's what I've heard as well. I was hoping to do Yellowstone but researched it and apparently drones are not allowed in Federal Parks, I'm not sure about individual state parks. I don't have anything formal to point you to but that is my understanding from researching it a while back. Sorry.

Jerry
2015-4-15
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

not allowed on federal parks or state parks.  only local and city/county parks.
2015-4-15
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

National Parks have a ban on drones but i've never heard that California State Parks are out.  there is still plenty of sky to fly.
2015-4-16
Use props
wingdriver
lvl.1

United States

The problem I have with this law is that their only cheating themselves. I love to create, to take beautiful footage of scenery that will take your breath away. Then I love to edit and put it to music. I've heard all the ruckus on the TV news about drones invading peoples privacy. It may be true for a few, but I've seen on YouTube some of the drones footage and it's beautiful. The creation of these videos that people get to see on the Internet only makes them want to visit these areas. Thus increasing the income of the small businesses in the area. It helps the economy. I was planning a trip up to Northern California to grab some footage. I even wrote to the caretaker of  Hearst  Castle asking permission if I can get some footage with my drone around the castle. I promised him I would give them a copy of that footage so we could put to the website of the castle. But unfortunately never got a reply. I had checked the no-fly zones on the DJI website and says nothing about federal property and parks. Thus the reason for my post. I will continue to research to make sure I'm not breaking any laws. We'll keep you guys informed. And thanks for the replies. Fred
2015-4-17
Use props
stock12to32
lvl.3

United States

I always check this map before I go fly somewhere but not all places are listed on the map so I also check websites, like in my case I wanted to fly at a place here in Ga called Stone Mountain and the map does not show no fly zone but it says on their website "No Drones".
I have been told all federal property is off limits as well.
2015-4-17
Use props
Jimswim
New

United States

stock12to32 Posted at 2015-4-18 02:50
I always check this map before I go fly somewhere but not all places are listed on the map so I also ...

Great map.  Thanks for the link.
2015-4-17
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

I believe it is federal parks that are restrictive.
2015-4-18
Use props
TCMAC
lvl.2
United States

That's a great map ... In Florida, State Parks are prohibitive as well, unfortunately
2015-4-18
Use props
Bob - BSquared
lvl.1

United States

TCMAC Posted at 2015-4-18 17:01
That's a great map ... In Florida, State Parks are prohibitive as well, unfortunately

Hey Folks!

The FAA has another set of no fly zones that are very wide and far reaching!

You have to Search with Bing.com.

Then there is an Internal Memorandum.

I stumbled across it.

It is important!

It has Exemption Policy detailed in it.

Here is how you cane get this Internal Memorandum:

Operators can find this notice on the Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA) Web site at http://fsims.faa.gov. This notice is available to the public at http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/orders_notices.

I live directly under the Dulles South Approach Path.

Using this Exemption Policy, I can indeed fly here.  You have to follow the exemption criteria!

Now I fly strictly by this Exemption Policy.
2015-9-11
Use props
Bob - BSquared
lvl.1

United States

Bob - BSquared Posted at 2015-9-11 18:56
Hey Folks!

The FAA has another set of no fly zones that are very wide and far reaching!

Honestly, I do NOT understand a down vote!

This is indeed important information.  It can allow flight in No Fly Zones - IF one meets the exemption policy.

Not trying to get over folks!  The max vertical height over me, 800 meters, places one directly in the flight path!  Another perspective is that it is 1760 yards to a mile.  The 1760 feet is 1609.344 yards.

800 meters is 2624 feet.  So you can see that you can very easily get into the approach path.

This 800 meters translates into 0.497 Mile!  

This isn't trivial!  This Phantom Series weighing a little less than a Kilogram WILL bring down some of the smaller turboprop aircraft!

Going into one of the Jet engines will definitely cause a failure of an engine.

Time to get serious!
2015-9-13
Use props
Bob - BSquared
lvl.1

United States

Bob - BSquared Posted at 2015-9-13 19:21
Honestly, I do NOT understand a down vote!

This is indeed important information.  It can allow fl ...

I will say that the attitude that a down vote is highly disturbing!  I have been at 2000 feet, and have had to take evasive action to keep from having a Bald Eagle join my Flight Instructor and I in the cockpit!  Yes, it is bigger than a Phantom.

However, those single engine aircraft fly in these areas ALSO!  Whom wants to be responsible for killing a pilot or some passengers?  That is what so disturbs me!

General Aviation single engine aircraft fly at the minimum of 2000 feet over populated areas.  It happens to be FAA Rules and Regulations.  I always flew strictly by them.  Cross Country flying I would usually climb to 6000 feet.  It may have to be at a different altitude due to low level clouds.  It is also based on direction of flight.

That is only 1/4" Plexiglass or Lexan that is in the windshield!  Think about it!  Take a Cessna 172 flying at 110 knots, add your airspeed tat you have no idea of, and it IS a recipe for serious injury, possible death, then you also have an aircraft that weighs 1700+ pounds empty coming down on lord only knows what.  Depending on fuel load, it may be in excess of 40 gallons that will turn into flame on impact.

I guess there is no need to continue posting to the Forum(s)!  Some folks have a view that certainly does NOT fit with REALITY!

2015-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules