Firmware fails
3057 35 2017-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans1b1f5891
New
Flight distance : 38222 ft

United Kingdom

My fully functioning never crashed Phantom 4 has stoped functioning after firmware update to 2.00.0106 using DJI Assist v2  1.1.8 from windows 7 PC with good internet connection.

Now on my iPhone 6 app I get broken video feed.
The useal green (connected) or red (not connected) light is now flickering green and red.
I have not tryed to fly the drone but there I can controll the gimble.

I have tried resetting the controller  ( not sure i am doing this right)
Reflashing the firmware on the phantom 4.

Please help me get it back in the air.

Cheers

Rob

2017-12-10
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The RC firmware needs updating I think.

If the RC is not updated to V1.9.3 the display will not be good.

Edit:- Given the current potential failing of DJI Go 4 V4.1.18 (there is a bug where RC build may not be seen to be needing updated ) this post may help you:-

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 0298&fromuid=154551
2017-12-10
Use props
fans1b1f5891
New

United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2017-12-10 05:19

This looks like it should solve my problem, however when i press and hold the three lines top left I get the firmware screen but is says device disconnected and there is no firmware info (though iPhone is connected to RC via usb)

any thoughts or do I have to somehow connect the P4 to DJI go3 app?

Cheers

Rob
2017-12-10
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans1b1f5891 Posted at 2017-12-10 06:19
This looks like it should solve my problem, however when i press and hold the three lines top left I get the firmware screen but is says device disconnected and there is no firmware info (though iPhone is connected to RC via usb)

One thing that may be worth checking is that make sure the display device has a good wifi internet connection (it will download files as needed). The aircraft should be switched off.

EDIT:- This may work with DJI Go 4 on your device (it might work, although 4.1.18 known to have problems), worth a try maybe.

This is the process I used to update the RC to V1.9.3:-

With RC and display connected (aircraft off), and display has a good wifi connection to internet. Run DJI Go 4 and 'enter device'. Open the 'aircraft status' screen by tapping the screen at top edge where it says 'disconnected'. The top line 'Overall Status' should show if update required (this may take a minute or two to appear). When it does then tap on that and it should take you through the process to update RC. This should work, but if not then repeat above as needed.

2017-12-10
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Is everything updated or just the aircraft? Could you post a screenshot of the firmware page from the app please.

Mark G.
2017-12-10
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi Rob, could you please try to press the buttons to reset the RC?  
* Turn on the controller, and make sure the aircraft is off.
* Press C1, C2, and shutter on the controller and then turn the controller off.
* Turn on both the aircraft and the controller and link the remote.

If that does not work, please try to force the controller to update:
* Turn on the controller, and make the aircraft is off.
* Press C1, C2, record and the wheel on the right side of the controller and then turn off the controller.
* Don’t let go of any of the buttons, turn on the controller. Then the controller will be able to update again.
2017-12-11
Use props
fans1b1f5891
New

United Kingdom

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-12-11 01:36
* Turn on the controller, and make sure the aircraft is off.
* Press C1, C2, and shutter on the controller and then turn the controller off.

after resetting my iPhone and performing the second of the two options this worked, though a very painful firmware upgrade experience. DJI Must do better next time!!
2018-2-27
Use props
fans1b1f5891
New

United Kingdom

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-12-11 01:36
* Turn on the controller, and make sure the aircraft is off.
* Press C1, C2, and shutter on the controller and then turn the controller off.

after resetting my iPhone and performing the second of the two options this worked, though a very painful firmware upgrade experience. DJI Must do better next time!!
2018-2-27
Use props
fansbf03994f
lvl.2
Flight distance : 824016 ft
Italy

Hello, I have a problem with the firmware upgrade to Phantom 4.
The Phantom 4 worked perfectly before the firmware attempt.

After the update failed several times (about 20x), I did a factory reset.

I use three different Dji Assistant 2 versions.
All download the older and the new firmware to 100%, Trasmission is also 100%, Updating remains stuck at 20%.

In the Dji Go4 app on Samsung Galaxy S8 I have since the factory reset no more access to the drone.
My dji account is registered with the following e-mail address: norbert.obermair@gmail.com

Many Thanks!
Obermair Norbert
2018-3-3
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansbf03994f Posted at 2018-3-3 07:16
Hello, I have a problem with the firmware upgrade to Phantom 4.
The Phantom 4 worked perfectly before the firmware attempt.

Only thing I would suggest is that when the update starts just to leave it, it takes a while to update if I remember correctly. Perhaps 45 minutes in total, and it stops at several points for prolonged periods of time.

Edit:- And make sure all batteries are fully charged. It doesn't update if below 50%.
2018-3-3
Use props
fansbf03994f
lvl.2
Italy

Aardvark Posted at 2018-3-3 09:23
Only thing I would suggest is that when the update starts just to leave it, it takes a while to update if I remember correctly. Perhaps 45 minutes in total, and it stops at several points for prolonged periods of time.

Edit:- And make sure all batteries are fully charged. It doesn't update if below 50%.

Hello, thank you for your answer. After the update stops at 20%, the drone reboots. Then you can click on - Retry - and the Assistant 2 tries to run the update again. This goes on forever. I always fully charge the battery before every attempt.
2018-3-3
Use props
fansbf03994f
lvl.2
Italy

fansbf03994f Posted at 2018-3-3 10:47
Hello, thank you for your answer. After the update stops at 20%, the drone reboots. Then you can click on - Retry - and the Assistant 2 tries to run the update again. This goes on forever. I always fully charge the battery before every attempt.

I also tried 2 different computers with Windows 7 and Windows 10.
2018-3-3
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansbf03994f Posted at 2018-3-3 10:47
Hello, thank you for your answer. After the update stops at 20%, the drone reboots. Then you can click on - Retry - and the Assistant 2 tries to run the update again. This goes on forever. I always fully charge the battery before every attempt.

It does reboot at one point as part of the update process, before continuing with the update. What happens if you leave it after it reboots ?
2018-3-3
Use props
fansbf03994f
lvl.2
Italy

Aardvark Posted at 2018-3-3 11:34
It does reboot at one point as part of the update process, before continuing with the update. What happens if you leave it after it reboots ?

Thanks for the answer. If the Phantom 4 has restarted, there is the possibility in Assistant 2 on - Retry - to click. Then the Assisstant 2 tries again to make an update. That goes back to 20%. Then after about 5 minutes you can again - Retry - select. This goes on forever.
2018-3-3
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansbf03994f Posted at 2018-3-3 12:48
Thanks for the answer. If the Phantom 4 has restarted, there is the possibility in Assistant 2 on - Retry - to click. Then the Assisstant 2 tries again to make an update. That goes back to 20%. Then after about 5 minutes you can again - Retry - select. This goes on forever.

There may be a problem with latest version of Assistant 2, try updating using DJI Go 4, with all connected and powered up, also good internet wifi.

If you look at 'About' in 'general settings' menu in DJI Go 4. You will see an option to check for and upgrade aircraft firmware.
2018-3-3
Use props
fansbf03994f
lvl.2
Italy

Aardvark Posted at 2018-3-3 13:27
There may be a problem with latest version of Assistant 2, try updating using DJI Go 4, with all connected and powered up, also good internet wifi.

If you look at 'About' in 'general settings' menu in DJI Go 4. You will see an option to check for and upgrade aircraft firmware.

Hello and thank you. I have tried ready with older DJI assistants. Since the reset factory, I can not connect the drone with the remote control (Linking is no longer possible), even DJI Go4 does not recognize the drone anymore.
Only Assistant 2 will recognize you drone. The update breaks off as described.
2018-3-3
Use props
fansbf03994f
lvl.2
Italy

Hello, I sent the Phantom 4 now with UPS for repair (Update failed) in the Netherlands. Did anyone have experience how long does it take normally to get the device back?
2018-3-7
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansbf03994f Posted at 2018-3-7 06:15
Hello, I sent the Phantom 4 now with UPS for repair (Update failed) in the Netherlands. Did anyone have experience how long does it take normally to get the device back?

Each case may be different, but I returned a Mavic Pro to the Netherlands, which had a faulty RC (it stopped illuminating). My total turn around from U.K was ten days. Of that, eight days was spent in transit. All in all it was a good experience for me with good communication from DJI 'after' getting first line support to issue a case number (which was not the best experience).
2018-3-7
Use props
fansbf03994f
lvl.2
Italy

Aardvark Posted at 2018-3-7 07:02
Each case may be different, but I returned a Mavic Pro to the Netherlands, which had a faulty RC (it stopped illuminating). My total turn around from U.K was ten days. Of that, eight days was spent in transit. All in all it was a good experience for me with good communication from DJI 'after' getting first line support to issue a case number (which was not the best experience).

Yes, I am confident that DJI will quickly solve the software problem with my Phantom. In the meantime I will buy the Mavic Air ;-)
2018-3-7
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansbf03994f Posted at 2018-3-7 22:03
Yes, I am confident that DJI will quickly solve the software problem with my Phantom. In the meantime I will buy the Mavic Air ;-)

"I will buy the Mavic Air ;-)"

It's a nice machine, but might also be worth considering a Mavic Pro, the Ocusync transmission system is very good and designed to work seamlessly with the Goggles should you ever decide to go down that route. And a rumour suggests that the Mavic Pro 2 is just round the corner
2018-3-8
Use props
fansbf03994f
lvl.2
Italy

Aardvark Posted at 2018-3-8 02:26
"I will buy the Mavic Air ;-)"

It's a nice machine, but might also be worth considering a Mavic Pro, the Ocusync transmission system is very good and designed to work seamlessly with the Goggles should you ever decide to go down that route. And a rumour suggests that the Mavic Pro 2 is just round the corner

Yes, it's just that DJI has the best drones. Some software problems, but that gets DJI under control, I'm convinced.
I like the Mavic Air because it is small, the gimbal is well protected and video is not bad either. But I will continue to make videos with the Phantom 4. The Phantom is a fantastic device.
2018-3-9
Use props
fansbf03994f
lvl.2
Germany

fansbf03994f Posted at 2018-3-9 09:18
Yes, it's just that DJI has the best drones. Some software problems, but that gets DJI under control, I'm convinced.
I like the Mavic Air because it is small, the gimbal is well protected and video is not bad either. But I will continue to make videos with the Phantom 4. The Phantom is a fantastic device.

If a drone works well, I advise of a firmware update. My update failed and made Phantom 4 flight disabled. The repair at DJI costs 308 euros.
2018-3-15
Use props
fansbf03994f
lvl.2
Germany

fansbf03994f Posted at 2018-3-15 22:21
If a drone works well, I advise of a firmware update. My update failed and made Phantom 4 flight disabled. The repair at DJI costs 308 euros.

Above all, do not perform a factory reset. This process has completely disabled my phantom.
2018-3-15
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansbf03994f Posted at 2018-3-15 22:24
Above all, do not perform a factory reset. This process has completely disabled my phantom.

Are you saying that your P4 is not working after being returned from repair and doing a factory reset ?
2018-3-16
Use props
fansc6d289ee
lvl.1
United States

I had a similar issue with a used drone i bought. this are the symptoms i had:
2018-3-16
Use props
fansc6d289ee
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-12-10 05:19

I had the same problem with a dji phantom 3 repair. the symptoms where:

1. drone turned on good and gimbal did its calibration correctly.
2. Phantom link light was solid green.
3. remote link light was solid red
4. issue here was 1. try relinking the drone. didn't work for me.
5. firmware would fail everytime. menaining the camera would talk to drone programing board. ;(

issue resolved was replacing the PCB board on the gimbal. that is what sends everything to the tablet or phone. all telemetry from drone is sent through gimbal operation. don't ask me why!
2018-3-16
Use props
fansbf03994f
lvl.2
Germany

Aardvark Posted at 2018-3-16 03:29
Are you saying that your P4 is not working after being returned from repair and doing a factory reset ?

The drone was repaired yesterday by DJI. I get the phantom in the next few days. I think she will work again. But I would have saved me 308 euros if I had not done the firmware update and the factory reset. Do not make a firmware update if your drone works well.
2018-3-16
Use props
fansbf03994f
lvl.2
Italy

fansbf03994f Posted at 2018-3-16 06:01
The drone was repaired yesterday by DJI. I get the phantom in the next few days. I think she will work again. But I would have saved me 308 euros if I had not done the firmware update and the factory reset. Do not make a firmware update if your drone works well.

I got a new Phantom 4 from Dji. It works, but the problems do not stop: with 3 different batteries came in flight and again the message: battery signal error.
Have then tried downgrade the firmware. The message comes despite the. Problems, problems ......
2018-3-24
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansbf03994f Posted at 2018-3-24 22:48
I got a new Phantom 4 from Dji. It works, but the problems do not stop: with 3 different batteries came in flight and again the message: battery signal error.
Have then tried downgrade the firmware. The message comes despite the. Problems, problems ......

"3 different batteries came in flight and again the message: battery signal error."

Can you provide a screen shot of the 'battery signal error' message you are seeing.

Is it possible that the battery firmware needs updating using DJI Assistant 2 ?
2018-3-25
Use props
fansbf03994f
lvl.2
Italy

Aardvark Posted at 2018-3-25 00:21
"3 different batteries came in flight and again the message: battery signal error."

Can you provide a screen shot of the 'battery signal error' message you are seeing.

I have found no way to update the batteries in Assistant 2 and in the DJI Go 4 app.
One more note: the message appears more often when the drone is on, for example in the
Sport mode consumes a lot of power.
If you end, e.g. a quick climb, the tension increases a bit
and the error message goes e.g. Descending again.

Thank you
2018-3-26
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansbf03994f Posted at 2018-3-26 09:21
I have found no way to update the batteries in Assistant 2 and in the DJI Go 4 app.
One more note: the message appears more often when the drone is on, for example in the
Sport mode consumes a lot of power.

"I have found no way to update the batteries in Assistant 2"

If the aircraft is powered up with each battery in turn and connected to PC running DJI Assistant 2 then it will indicate that an update is required if needed. If not then all batteries should be at current latest build.
The battery intelligent module is updated as part of the aircraft update, any battery firmware discrepancy might even be reported by the system as 'Incompatible firmware found' (or similar wording) by DJI Go 4.

Are you using latest firmware on devices and latest version of DJI Go 4 ?
2018-3-26
Use props
fansbf03994f
lvl.2
Italy

Aardvark Posted at 2018-3-26 12:12
"I have found no way to update the batteries in Assistant 2"

If the aircraft is powered up with each battery in turn and connected to PC running DJI Assistant 2 then it will indicate that an update is required if needed. If not then all batteries should be at current latest build.

Hello, I have the phantom 4 ready connected to the DJI assistant and also tried a downgrade. The error message comes but. There was no way to update the batteries in both DIJ Assistant and the newly installed DJI Go 4 app.
Do you think there is a risk of falling? The voltage in the battery does not really decrease, it is only the display of the battery voltage not currently displayed at the moment the error message.
If it's not really dangerous, could I fly anyway?
Thank you
2018-3-26
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

fansbf03994f Posted at 2018-3-26 21:00
Hello, I have the phantom 4 ready connected to the DJI assistant and also tried a downgrade. The error message comes but. There was no way to update the batteries in both DIJ Assistant and the newly installed DJI Go 4 app.
Do you think there is a risk of falling? The voltage in the battery does not really decrease, it is only the display of the battery voltage not currently displayed at the moment the error message.

I would recommend you send it in again for rep/replacement.
I also has got a replacement with the battery signal error  and strange things happen with that issue, not safe at all.
2018-3-27
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansbf03994f Posted at 2018-3-26 21:00
Do you think there is a risk of falling? The voltage in the battery does not really decrease, it is only the display of the battery voltage not currently displayed at the moment the error message.

If there is a genuine fault on the system causing the 'battery signal error' message, then there is the chance that it might fail.

Sound advice from KedDK above, I would return it to DJI and ask for a fully tested replacement.
2018-3-27
Use props
fansbf03994f
lvl.2
Italy

Aardvark Posted at 2018-3-27 03:26
If there is a genuine fault on the system causing the 'battery signal error' message, then there is the chance that it might fail.

Sound advice from KedDK above, I would return it to DJI and ask for a fully tested replacement.

Hello, the drone goes back to the repair. Many thanks for the help.
2018-3-27
Use props
fansbf03994f
lvl.2
Italy

fansbf03994f Posted at 2018-3-27 20:50
Hello, the drone goes back to the repair. Many thanks for the help.

The Phantom 4 will be repaired by DJI for free. DJI treats its customers very fair. That's why I ordered the Mavic Air Combo today ;-)
2018-4-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules