sign in?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
camilo zk
lvl.1
Austria

so today I went to fly my phantom after walking several hours on the mountains. when I arrive, prepared everything and turned on the application, it prompted me to "sign up", which I could not do because I had no internet. So I come down without being able to shoot what I needed.

now: SERIOUSLY?
2017-12-10
Use props
AlanHd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

This sometimes happens after installing updates, good practice is to sign out and sign back in after any update before setting out to fly.
One way around this problem is if you have a phone with mobile data then use this has a mobile hotspot to sign in. But I guess if you were in the mountains you would have had no signal at all.
2017-12-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It’s tough many have made same mistake only once though, post number 2 info should be taken on board.
2017-12-10
Use props
camilo zk
lvl.1
Austria

in my opinion, good practice would be to not demand users to sign in in order to be able to use an application. ridiculous...
2017-12-10
Use props
AlanHd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-12-10 09:16
I'm sorry but this is pure rubbish & why I run an older app & firmware.  You shouldn't need to "sign in" for permission to fly YOUR drone!  Would you find it acceptable if your car didn't start because you had no internet connection to authorize your drive?

I'll repeat it again:  Tens of thousands die annually in vehicle accidents.  To my knowledge NO ONE has died from a consumer drone.

Don’t shoot the messenger, I didn’t say it was a good thing, I was just sharing that it’s sometimes needed, so it’s best practice to do it in a situation where you have internet before you try fly.
2017-12-10
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

I'm sorry but this is pure rubbish & why I run an older app & firmware.  You shouldn't need to "sign in" for permission to fly YOUR drone!  Would you find it acceptable if your car didn't start because you had no internet connection to authorize your drive?

I'll repeat it again:  Tens of thousands die annually in vehicle accidents.  To my knowledge NO ONE has died from a consumer drone.

True.      
2017-12-10
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Germany

Imagine the following news headlines:

GROUNDED PILOTS CREATE WORLDWIDE CHAOS

Yesterday hundreds of pilots found their planes grounded by Boeing. In New York, London, Frankfurt and Shenzhen pilots were unable to start their engines because they had not logged in to the manufacturers home page and had no flying status. Even Air Controllers and FAA officials were unable to help as the pilots were informed they should have logged in to Boeing for permission to fly before leaving their hotels…… Read the full story on page 3……….
2017-12-10
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft
Spain

Agreed !!  ^^^^^^^^
2017-12-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Think it’s fair to say in most countries in the world you need a license insurance and tax and your car needs to be in proper working order before you are legally allowed to drive it on public highways, if you don’t meet these requirements you are likely to be heavily fined put off the road and not allowed drive , are these not restrictions, I mean it must be terrible for some judge to put you off the road and tell you you are not allowed to drive he doesn’t own your car.

You can fly but you are restricted , the same way if your put off the road you can still start your car but you are restricted from driving on any public roads.

I think if you asked the majority of people flying drones would they prefer to pay a tax for flying do a flying course study and get a license and leave your drone in to be tested every two years and on top of all that suffer the high cost of paying for all of above.
For me I’ll sign into the app

I say all of this because you seem to be happy to compare flying drones to driving cars

2017-12-10
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

AlanHd Posted at 2017-12-10 09:22
Don’t shoot the messenger, I didn’t say it was a good thing, I was just sharing that it’s sometimes needed, so it’s best practice to do it in a situation where you have internet before you try fly.

DB wasn't saying your post was rubbish - he was saying DJI's sign-in policy is rubbish...  ;-)  
2017-12-10
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-10 10:59
Think it’s fair to say in most countries in the world you need a license insurance and tax and your car needs to be in proper working order before you are legally allowed to drive it on public highways, if you don’t meet these requirements you are likely to be heavily fined put off the road and not allowed drive , are these not restrictions, I mean it must be terrible for some judge to put you off the road and tell you you are not allowed to drive he doesn’t own your car.

You can fly but you are restricted , the same way if your put off the road you can still start your car but you are restricted from driving on any public roads.

Yes a reasonable response to the point, but hallmark you are comparing apples to oranges there...
If I thought for a minute, even a second, that just signing in to the app would save me tens or even hundreds of dollars I'd feel similar.  HOWEVER, I think we all know that signing in to this stupid app does nothing but give DJI an element of control over our property, be it small or large.  There is no safety benefit great or small and there is no maintenance check short of grounding your bird because the "app" said so, that will afford us any benefits that reach the extent you described for cars.  I agree with Dirty, if I miss a safety inspection and my drone were to fall out of the sky, the likelihood that it will cause injury or even damage is small as compared to a man sized aircraft or automobile.
Bottom line, unless you or someone can provide emphatic proof of some significant and highly useful reason for signing in to the app then I must completely agree with the others, it is rubbish.
2017-12-10
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Dockater Posted at 2017-12-10 10:37
Imagine the following news headlines:

GROUNDED PILOTS CREATE WORLDWIDE CHAOS

You are on a roll today, FUN KNEE!
2017-12-10
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Concur
2017-12-10
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Welcome to the collective comrade, der comisar will permit you to fly your bought and paid for property when you follow his rules specifically and by the letter...enjoy
2017-12-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-12-10 11:15
Yes a reasonable response to the point, but hallmark you are comparing apples to oranges there...
If I thought for a minute, even a second, that just signing in to the app would save me tens or even hundreds of dollars I'd feel similar.  HOWEVER, I think we all know that signing in to this stupid app does nothing but give DJI an element of control over our property, be it small or large.  There is no safety benefit great or small and there is no maintenance check short of grounding your bird because the "app" said so, that will afford us any benefits that reach the extent you described for cars.  I agree with Dirty, if I miss a safety inspection and my drone were to fall out of the sky, the likelihood that it will cause injury or even damage is small as compared to a man sized aircraft or automobile.
Bottom line, unless you or someone can provide emphatic proof of some significant and highly useful reason for signing in to the app then I must completely agree with the others, it is rubbish.

Do all pilots not have to ask permission and sign in to fly what makes drone pilots different. If you think you are signing in to allow dji some control then just use dji Pilot app with absolute no information being expunged in anyway no records no details of where you flew no possibility of any records being passed on.
Most people sign in so have accepted it, I don’t hear anyone complaining about infringement of the data privacy law being broken, while I’m 100% sure why we have to sign in I don’t see many opting out, if this was a real concern then I think we would see a much more determined protest than a few threads on forums.
I have a brother in law who flys hot air balloons the amount of safety provisions and permission from IAA Local government etc, signing into an app should not phase anyone and if it does just use dji Pilot app .
2017-12-10
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-10 11:42
Do all pilots not have to ask permission and sign in to fly what makes drone pilots different. If you think you are signing in to allow dji some control then just use dji Pilot app with absolute no information being expunged in anyway no records no details of where you flew no possibility of any records being passed on.
Most people sign in so have accepted it, I don’t hear anyone complaining about infringement of the data privacy law being broken, while I’m 100% sure why we have to sign in I don’t see many opting out, if this was a real concern then I think we would see a much more determined protest than a few threads on forums.
I have a brother in law who flys hot air balloons the amount of safety provisions and permission from IAA Local government etc, signing into an app should not phase anyone and if it does just use dji Pilot app .

Granted reasonable assertions IF we were talking about manned powered flight etc.
However, the however is this...
First, NO pilots do not have to get permission or sign in/file a flight plan IF they are taking off from an uncontrolled airfield and flying VFR.  Now they do have to announce over the radio on a common frequency when departing but that is for potential traffic deconfliction not for permission.
In the case of "signing in" it accomplishes none of the above, it does not file a flight plan and it does not assure deconfliction, it only prevents the operator from using their UAV if they do not.  This means that flying a UAV, most times, is very much like taking off from an uncontrolled airfield and we are always supposed to fly VFR and since the FAA does not require radio capability that also means we don't have to coordinate deconfliction real time.
My point is not about data collection, matter of fact I'll go further, it absolutely has nothing to do with data security, collection, or privacy.  It is about the ability to freely operate one's property fully and completely as you see fit when you see fit and where, without any restrictions (other than law & regulation stipulated by appropriate authority) in any manner one sees fit.  Simply forgetting to log in and then finding that you can't operate just because of a simple oversight such as this is not acceptable to me.
Further, this is not about safety...I completely agree with safety and the need for it and I believe all should adhere to all safety policies and above all else use common sense when safety rules don't cover all circumstances.  As I noted before, nothing about the app truly changes or ensures a drone operator will be safe or that they will follow safety rules, and certainly signing in or not does not change the safety level in any way, unless you wish to claim that by failing to sign in you can't fly and therefore you can't violate any safety rules.
2017-12-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-12-10 12:23
Granted reasonable assertions IF we were talking about manned powered flight etc.
However, the however is this...
First, NO pilots do not have to get permission or sign in/file a flight plan IF they are taking off from an uncontrolled airfield and flying VFR.  Now they do have to announce over the radio on a common frequency when departing but that is for potential traffic deconfliction not for permission.

I seem to remember all the initial fuss was over privacy but since release of dji pilot privacy doesn’t seem to be a problem anymore.
We do have to remember to bring our keys to drive our car, If we forget or worse lose them trouble, im  sure it’s not that difficult to remember to sign in . Hey if we want to call over to our neighbors we are expected to phone first, there was a time we just called over, I guess it’s a sign of the times.
2017-12-10
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-10 12:47
I seem to remember all the initial fuss was over privacy but since release of dji pilot privacy doesn’t seem to be a problem anymore.
We do have to remember to bring our keys to drive our car, If we forget or worse lose them trouble, im  sure it’s not that difficult to remember to sign in . Hey if we want to call over to our neighbors we are expected to phone first, there was a time we just called over, I guess it’s a sign of the times.

Yes you may be correct...for me I've always operated on an assumed risk when it came to privacy...as many will claim nothing is sacred or secure on the internet.  I don't like it being institutionalized, and that is a problem, but for me not so much I've accepted the risk.
True we can all be trained, to remember our keys or log in etc...but I have never found it wrong to ask WHY and especially in this case...
2017-12-10
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Germany

Privacy, rights, control and a lot more. There must be controls, no one in their right mind and with a modicum of intelligence would agree a no control policy is right. The question is who however, has the authority to issue and, this is important, to enforce the controls. Most of us in this forum live in countries where we have voted for our governing authorities and as long as they represent our interests on the whole we accept them.

We may not like what the laws impose, or parking fines, or regulations on alcohol sales, the taxes and the like, but they are ours, made largely by us for us. Now what happens when Jack Daniels tells us that we cannot drink their product outside of a specified time, and to make sure that we keep to this the bottle cap will not open until you sign in? You may have to prove your age to buy beer, but you do not have to prove your age in addition to the brewery. These are/would be examples of controls above and beyond the law and as far as I know, are not legal.

Would you like to sign in by a foreign manufacturer to drive your foreign car, that your government says you are allowed to drive, or have your speed limited because you are in a built up area? Want to take an alcohol test every time before you drive? For better or worse there are some things that have to rely on trust, times change, but I still want to be the one that locks MY door.
2017-12-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-12-10 15:02
I feel the majority of people would like to FLY THE DRONE THEY PURCHASED without getting permission from DJI to do so.

Tens of thousands die each year in vehicles.  NO ONE IS DYING FROM CONSUMER DRONES!  Further there is no corollary in your car requiring you to "sign in" before being allowed to drive...with or without a license!  This is simply reactionary fearmongering.  There is no logical reason for these attempts by DJI to act as the Drone Police.  It doesn't even make sense from a liability standpoint as DJI is no more liable for the misuse of its product then is Ford, Chevy, Smith & Wesson, Hillerich & Bradsby (maker of Louisville Slugger bats),  or the Ginsu Knife Company.
Tens of thousands die each year in vehicles. NO ONE IS DYING FROM CONSUMER DRONES!
I suspect that this has no relevance at all.
DJI requiring the occasional sign in, is not about safety or liability.
It came in when russian hacked firmware did as DJI's response to attempt to get everyone using software versions created without the previous vulnerabilities.
That's the reason it was rushed in.
I'm not commenting on how well it was implemented or how effective it is.
2017-12-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-12-10 15:02
I feel the majority of people would like to FLY THE DRONE THEY PURCHASED without getting permission from DJI to do so.

Tens of thousands die each year in vehicles.  NO ONE IS DYING FROM CONSUMER DRONES!  Further there is no corollary in your car requiring you to "sign in" before being allowed to drive...with or without a license!  This is simply reactionary fearmongering.  There is no logical reason for these attempts by DJI to act as the Drone Police.  It doesn't even make sense from a liability standpoint as DJI is no more liable for the misuse of its product then is Ford, Chevy, Smith & Wesson, Hillerich & Bradsby (maker of Louisville Slugger bats),  or the Ginsu Knife Company.

If I want to use my photoshop acc my paypal acc my Facebook acc my Twitter acc all these apps I must be signed in, to use this forum I need to be signed in I have many paid apps I need to sign into to use and everyday security gets stronger , your basically signing in to use an app,

If it’s privacy your looking for I suggest you use pilot app your privacy is 100% protected, so yes there have been changes to using dji go app, but they have given you another option.

Your just talking here about signing into an app something that we do everyday and most of the apps can track plenty of stuff about us.
2017-12-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-12-10 15:58
What you present is the proverbial "What came first the chicken or the egg?" question.  The fact that NO ONE IS DYING has total relevance because there is NO REASON for the attempt at restriction & control on the part of DJI.  The whole reason people began hacking the firmware was suspicions over what was being transmitted back to DJI & to circumvent the ever-increasing restriction & control.  "What came first. The hacking or the control?"  

Have you forgotten the holiday weekend where half the customer base couldn't get off the ground?  How many threads have there been where people are unable to fly more than 50m @ 30m height because they weren't signed in?  Ever try to fly a Spark with the goggles & see the "fun" involved?  The latest is having to take a test before being allowed to launch...once for each drone you own!  Now they have your drone broadcasting your personally identifiable information to the world while flying.  This thread is only the latest example.  What's next?  I don't want to go off to fly & wind up grounded dealing with a bunch of unnecessary lunacy just to fly the drone I purchased.  I'm not leasing it...I bought it.  Leave me alone & let me enjoy it!

You're distracted by your particular fantasies about how DJI infringes on your personal freedom.
The hacked firmware was to remove the built-in limits of DJI firmware.
Suddenly people were buying it and going to crazy heights.
DJI quickly responded by releasing new firmware with the vulnerability patched and wanted to get as many people as possible using the new firmware.
Here's their PR release regarding that.
https://www.dji.com/newsroom/new ... nd-firmware-updates
2017-12-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-12-10 16:10
I'm sorry but that has to be the worst analogies ever.  Flying a drone has NOTHING to do with signing into or accessing an online service.  Nor does this have anything to do with privacy.  It has to do with being forced to sign in in order to use the hardware you have purchased for its intended purpose.  Our drones aren't an online service.  They fly & take photos/videos.  It is akin to being forced to sign in to Maytag before you can turn on the stove to cook dinner, or having to log in to your Honda account before the lawn mower will start.

Difference is you need the app to use the drone, I’m not apologizing for anything, I have Camera surveillance here at my business in order to use their full potential I need to sign into my app, your clutching at straws here, you only have to sign into app once unless you sign out, as you said you have already opted out so you don’t have this problem.
Anyone who has purchased since the signing saga are well aware they have to be signed in I don’t hear them complaining or drone sales falling through the floor, most people understand that signing in is part and parcel of everyday life for most of us. And I think it will be the case for all drones in the future whether Chinese German or as it is with some US drone manufacturers today.
You are very much entitled to opt out as you have but if what your complaining about is not being able to use updates well you must have known when you purchased that the app would continue to update and change.
2017-12-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-12-10 16:10
I'm sorry but that has to be the worst analogies ever.  Flying a drone has NOTHING to do with signing into or accessing an online service.  Nor does this have anything to do with privacy.  It has to do with being forced to sign in in order to use the hardware you have purchased for its intended purpose.  Our drones aren't an online service.  They fly & take photos/videos.  It is akin to being forced to sign in to Maytag before you can turn on the stove to cook dinner, or having to log in to your Honda account before the lawn mower will start.

And your analogy is just as ridiculous.
How often do you have to log in to fly?
If you were running up-to-date firmware you'd know that you don't have to log on to your DJI account every time you fly.
The facts don't match what you imagine.
2017-12-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-12-11 09:06
"Anyone who has purchased since the signing saga are well aware they have to be signed in I don’t hear them complaining.."

You are responding to a thread where a user is complaining about being unable to use his drone due to this very issue...one of hundreds/thousands of similar complaints here and on other sites....yet you "don't hear them complaining"?  I feel this pretty much sums up your objectivity on the matter.

I’ve already giving my opinion on that OP is responsible for his own aircraft he knows quite well what to do to get his aircraft in the air, he’s feeling the same way as anyone would if you lost your car keys.

Hundreds of thousands of complaints, where do you see that not on this forum. Yes initially when we had the scaremongers telling all and sundry that this was the end of their flying the end of dji and the sky was going to fall in.

But most people are smart they can work out stuff for themselves and most are flying happily, but it seems any chance you get to scaremonger your all over it like a rash.
2017-12-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-12-11 09:53
"But most people are smart they can work out stuff for themselves and  most are flying happily..."

Was this OP "flying happily" when he walked home after being denied the abiility to fly the drone he purchased?

We are all aware what we need to do to fly, taking responsibility is what we as adults should do, I’m sure he wasn’t happy but we are never happy when we make mistakes it’s called human nature, he is in full control of whether he flys or not.
2017-12-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-12-11 12:28
No DJI is in control of when you fly by arbitrarily forcing you to be signed in before you can fly.  If he was in control he would have flown.  This is really very simple to understand it just seems to elude you.

What does being forced to sign in to an account have to do with "taking responsibility"?  The only mistake the OP made was updating to the version that imposed this limitation on his ability to fly his aircraft..

The only mistake the OP made was updating to the version that imposed this limitation on his ability to fly his aircraft.
And not being aware of this despite many, many threads going back months, describing the issue and it's solution.
2017-12-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-12-11 12:47
People coming in now have no such knowledge.  They likely have no option as their purchase comes with newer firmware. There should be a big big sticker on the box saying "Sign in required.  User may only fly with DJI approval."

More scaremongering, don’t dismiss users as being stupid, they don’t need approval to use their aircraft their well capable , even you managed to sign in here to use this forum or did someone give you instruction how to do it.
2017-12-11
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Dockater Posted at 2017-12-10 13:38
Privacy, rights, control and a lot more. There must be controls, no one in their right mind and with a modicum of intelligence would agree a no control policy is right. The question is who however, has the authority to issue and, this is important, to enforce the controls. Most of us in this forum live in countries where we have voted for our governing authorities and as long as they represent our interests on the whole we accept them.

We may not like what the laws impose, or parking fines, or regulations on alcohol sales, the taxes and the like, but they are ours, made largely by us for us. Now what happens when Jack Daniels tells us that we cannot drink their product outside of a specified time, and to make sure that we keep to this the bottle cap will not open until you sign in? You may have to prove your age to buy beer, but you do not have to prove your age in addition to the brewery. These are/would be examples of controls above and beyond the law and as far as I know, are not legal.

Here Here Well Said Well Spoken!!!
2017-12-11
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-11 09:59
We are all aware what we need to do to fly, taking responsibility is what we as adults should do, I’m sure he wasn’t happy but we are never happy when we make mistakes it’s called human nature, he is in full control of whether he flys or not.

Sorry hallmark, I find it worrisome that you would victim blame the OP because he made a "mistake" and therefore couldn't use his property.  No sign in requirement would mean no loss of use of his property, so which did come first the chicken or the egg here...
As I noted previous, if someone can show incontrovertible proof of what, why, and how this sign in feature is truly enhancing safety &/or security then I will jump up and down and do cartwheels in support of it.  Until then, I see no reason why it is necessary.
Therefore, I don't see it being fair or reasonable to blame the OP for this.  The primary aspect of what is being debated here is that of freedom and control.  You keep saying well I have to sign in for this and sign in for that, OK then, what about we just be given a disc with the SW to fly our drones (our property) and be done with it...it is ours free and clear and if DJI wants to update it and we want to accept the update OK fine but if not then we can continue to use our property as we see fit within the laws & regs established for our area & country.
I am frightened that so many seem to think this way of operating and line of thinking is OK, it is not.  If I'm playing some online game and I need to sign in to play it, OK, it is an on-line game only...however, if I go to the store and by a game (which is now my property) and it uses my phone to play it and I have to sign in each time or even once to play the game I bought this is not OK.  Now I will give you that if I buy something that says I must do X and Y then I have been forewarned and I would have the option of not making the buy.  However, many of these control changes are recent and a very large number of folks had no idea this was even on the horizon.  I would even add that nearly all of these key details were never explained or advertised about the product.  Personally I can't remember seeing anything about this kind of stuff, even now I'm hard pressed to find anything that fully explains these restrictions and requirements you have to dig through the manual to find it and even then it is cursory in nature, nor to use the drone you'll have to sign in, or to take a test.  For the record some, not all, of this info can be found but only after digging for it.
Beyond being frightened I'm dismayed, you know to each his own...I've accepted much of what DJI has sold me (as I said before) but it doesn't make it right or OK and since my entry in to this purchase, and here is the crux, I have had added restrictions placed upon me that were not part of the purchase advertised or not.  It's not apparent that I may change your mind, that is OK but I'm hoping that others who read this will at least think about it, and maybe enough will finally say enough is enough...I hope.
2017-12-11
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-12-11 12:47
People coming in now have no such knowledge.  They likely have no option as their purchase comes with newer firmware. There should be a big big sticker on the box saying "Sign in required.  User may only fly with DJI approval."

I GET IT...
2017-12-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-12-11 20:44
Sorry hallmark, I find it worrisome that you would victim blame the OP because he made a "mistake" and therefore couldn't use his property.  No sign in requirement would mean no loss of use of his property, so which did come first the chicken or the egg here...
As I noted previous, if someone can show incontrovertible proof of what, why, and how this sign in feature is truly enhancing safety &/or security then I will jump up and down and do cartwheels in support of it.  Until then, I see no reason why it is necessary.
Therefore, I don't see it being fair or reasonable to blame the OP for this.  The primary aspect of what is being debated here is that of freedom and control.  You keep saying well I have to sign in for this and sign in for that, OK then, what about we just be given a disc with the SW to fly our drones (our property) and be done with it...it is ours free and clear and if DJI wants to update it and we want to accept the update OK fine but if not then we can continue to use our property as we see fit within the laws & regs established for our area & country.

First it’s not my job to explain exactly why changes were made, I think you will see above Labroids explained one very good reason why changes had to be made, and it’s basically dismissed, so no matter what I or others offer up as to why changes were made I will be shot down , some with good reason some with no reason.

So I will try to give you my opinion on why we face as we go through life changes that sometimes we don’t agree with and don’t seem fair or something we have not signed up to.

Scenario: I go to my paypal account to purchase something, I’m locked out of getting my money, because PayPal are trying to improve their security system, remember they don’t explain what security changes probably because of security, they are now requiring me to sign in under a new password and other new security measures, I now have to re sign in wait for them to confirm my details before I can use My money, yes it’s a pain in the ar*e but I don’t have a choice, they can do this to me as many times as they like but I feel I didn’t sign up to this but I have to put up with it or move somewhere else.
If I forget my password I have to go through a whole other rigmarole to get access to My money. Is this part of life now I ask myself, I’m afraid it is if I want to trade through PayPal but it’s not exactly what I signed up to.

Scenario: In 1940 Ireland I purchase a new car I drive it around freely for two years on public roads, then suddenly I’m told I can no longer drive my car unless I have the new driving license, but when I purchased the car I didn’t buy into any license scheme and how will a license improve my driving I’ve been driving around for two years no crash no problems, why do I need a piece of paper to drive around.
But I have a choice I can go back to the bicycle and sell my car.

I have seen many changes imposed on me through my life not all for my good, some that are good for me some that are good for others but in most I have other options if I don’t want to take them on, in order to do this I must be as strong as my convictions and move on, if I opt into the changes then I must get on with it and now follow the rules I signed up for.

And just like the OP he signed up for the new rules of flying his drone and in order to fly he must be aware what he needs to do, if he is not happy he can opt out, if he gets it wrong he can’t blame anyone else because he made the decision to sign up to the rules of flying his drone, I would say dji drone but we know other drone manufacturers have adopted the same rules.

Now apart from getting caught out up on a mountain because I forget to sign in, can you give me any other good reason why there would be a problem signing into your app.
Privacy is not a problem because we now have options to protect this affecting us.
We don’t have to ask permission to fly we have the choice to sign in or not.
Having to do a test, I’m all in favour of this anything that helps new and old users gain even the smallest amount of information on keeping safe is good in my book. And yes the way it’s done can and I’m sure will be improved but a journey of a 1000 miles begins with a single step.

I have decided to opt in so I can take on board what needs to be done in preparation for flying, if it goes wrong for whatever reason I accept that , I was aware and equipped with all the knowledge before I started so I fully accept responsibility
2017-12-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-12-12 06:51
You continue to offer poor analogies.  Signing into a website, PayPal, accessing your network camera are all online items specifically designed & requiring online access.  Your drone requires no network access to fly except DJI arbitrarily imposed it.  It is akin to Whirlpool dictating your washer wont run if you arent logged into your Whirlpool acvount.

Vehicle licensing requirements were imposed by government, not vehicle manufacturers.  There is no requirement to have a license to fly a drone.

I think what you need is to have the strength of your convictions, you continue to fly dji drones buy dji drones , or are you just trying to be some sort of conscientious objector, I’m sure all those who have stood their ground , not purchased or decided to sell will be having a great laugh at this now.

I still have heard of no good reason from you as to what the problem or difficulty to signing in to your app once, not every time you fly.

Except your quote below .
“Now they have your drone broadcasting your personally identifiable information to the world while flying. “
I find this extremely hypocritical, for someone who decides to come on the dji forum and post what are clearly illegal videos ad nauseam,  and break most of your countries rules for flying, so you argument regarding personally identifiable information is just rubbish you are obviously signed in when you upload videos so your not too worried about personally identifiable information.

Regarding when you first open up your drone and try to activate, yes dji should let purchasers know in a more informative way that they will be required to be signed in to activate and fly their drone, but their is also an option to return the drone at this stage at no cost except time to the purchaser, I haven’t heard of one case where someone was so offended by this that they returned their drone.

Change comes for us all, some we have no problem with, some we don’t like, when we don’t like something we can and are entitled to complain about it and that’s your entitlement and if this doesn’t change things, you have to make up your mind if your prepared to make a stand and show your true convictions, but so far all of this is just Flogging a dead horse.
2017-12-12
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-12 03:40
First it’s not my job to explain exactly why changes were made, I think you will see above Labroids explained one very good reason why changes had to be made, and it’s basically dismissed, so no matter what I or others offer up as to why changes were made I will be shot down , some with good reason some with no reason.

So I will try to give you my opinion on why we face as we go through life changes that sometimes we don’t agree with and don’t seem fair or something we have not signed up to.

...thank you for your opinion.
2017-12-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules