How to guide: Calibrating the Gimbal and image horizon
4176 5 2017-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RobAlbania
lvl.4
Albania

How to guide: Calibrating the Gimbal and Image Horizon

Apologies to the experts who already know this.  The documentation on the I2 idoes not describe how to do the following, so here goes.  Hope it helps some other people, took me 3 days to discover how to do it!

The horizon calibration of your gimbal is best done at home on something like your kitchen floor, placing the drone in the centre of the kitchen.  Do it without blades attached, just to be safe!  Power up the I2 and transmitter, attach your DJI Go App, make sure everything connects and you have an image (with tilted horizon). Line up the camera and drone pointing perpendicular to one row of kitchen cupboards.  Use the tilt adjustment of the left hand scroll wheel so the screen centre focus point is on the line between the kitchen cupboards and the floor.  Do not worry at this stage that the entire row of kitchen cupboards appears to be tilted.

• Hold in the C2 button on the right hand side beneath the transmitter, and while holding in the C2 button, turn the upper right scroll wheel.  A horizontal line will be displayed on your OSD.  You may have to turn the scroll wheel a lot, on mine I had to turn it through more than two complete revolutions to adjust the horizon so the row of kitchen cupboard looked approximately level.  If you only adjust a few clicks, you may not see anything happening because the adjustment resolution is so fine (a good thing!).
  • You can then pan the lens through 360 degrees by holding in the C1 button on the left hand rear of the transmitter, and then adjust pan with the left hand scroll wheel.  While panning through 360 degrees, check that the horizon is horizontal in every position.
  • Repeat Step 1 and Step 2 as necessary to obtain as level a horizon as possible through the entire 360 degrees pan movement.
  • Turn off the drone, turn off the transmitter, quit the DJI Go App.

Now, when you power up everything again, the horizon adjustment you performed in steps 1 through 4 has been memorised.  If the above instructions are at all unclear, then I could make a YouTube video of the procedure, just ask!

2017-12-10
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
lvl.4
Flight distance : 935135 ft
United States

Is this in conjunction with the gimbal alignment option in the Go App or is this instead of that option?
2017-12-10
Use props
RobAlbania
lvl.4
Albania

It's instead of that option, you get a much finer control.
2017-12-10
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft
Spain

Thanks for share !!
2017-12-11
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the time and effort.
2017-12-11
Use props
Edward_Horvath
lvl.2
Flight distance : 560715 ft
United States

I do this and then can sit back and slowly watch the camera, very slowly, start tilting again.  What the hell?
2018-10-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules