Phantom 1 questions
1357 7 2015-4-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mdlowe
New

United Kingdom

Hi everyone, i have a Phantom 1, i'm new to Quadcopters and have made some mistakes and am learning however if anyone can help with a couple of things....

Firstly i have updated the system to 4.02 which did improve things...

I have also carried out an advanced IMU calibration.
It doesnt hover on a dime as others have said, it does wander a little, however when hovering at eye levell it appears to be level, but the camera says something different at altitude,(about 200 ft).

First question, when hovering i try to rotate by yaw but the Phantom pitches up and starts to roll but i've noticed from video footage that it isnt hovering level, its over at about 5 deg any help with this would be appreciated.

Second question, i have a set of carbon props, they were balanced, before i did the system update i managed to crash in a muppet way and damaged the propellors, i have cleaned up the 2 damaged propellors (1 x CW and 1 x CCW prop)and rebalanced them, but in sorting the damage these 2 propellors are now 3 mm shorter than the other 2, is this going to cause inherent handling problems due to differential lift now they are shorter... should i bin them, and get a new set...

I couldnt use the prop guards as with the carbon blades the handling was attrotious.....schoolboy flying error....!!!

Any advice would be appreciated..should i re do the calibrations again....?

Mikey

2015-4-15
Use props
robertparkhurst
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Whats up first off id get rid of the smaller props you should run the same size props. My Phantom dont sit still at a hover ether it wanders a little bit kinda in a circle.Have you calibrated your remote in the naza firm ware that might help with the pitches up and starts to roll and calibrating it never hurts to do++...Good luck
2015-4-16
Use props
ShadyDealer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

9450 props are a fantastic and cheap upgrade. May help with stability.
2015-4-19
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Only use DJI propellers. There is no need to balance them. Prop guards will work fine with the DJI props - I don't notice a difference in flight manners at all.

There is much more wind at altitude and of course your Phantom will be moving around a lot at that height....or, to some extent at any height. GPS is only accurate to a few meters.
2015-4-19
Use props
mdlowe
New

United Kingdom

robertparkhurst Posted at 2015-4-17 08:46
Whats up first off id get rid of the smaller props you should run the same size props. My Phantom do ...

Agreed i have a replacement set all balanced and good they are 9 inch carbon fibre they work much better...I will investigate calibrating the controller, Do you have any pointers on how i can calibrate it to slow the yaw rotation, i'm sure it will just be a sensitivity setting but i'm new to this and any help would be appreciated thanks.....
2015-4-20
Use props
mdlowe
New

United Kingdom

ShadyDealer Posted at 2015-4-19 19:45
9450 props are a fantastic and cheap upgrade. May help with stability.

Thanks for the advice
2015-4-20
Use props
mdlowe
New

United Kingdom

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-4-20 02:01
Only use DJI propellers. There is no need to balance them. Prop guards will work fine with the DJI p ...

re the prop guards, i disagree.... the handling with prop guards and standard props was awful, i couldn't stabilise a hover at all, certainly not hands off as i can do with the guards off...i wondered if it was the additional drag of the go pro slung underneath but very much the same with the camera removed.....

While genuine props are without doubt the best way to go, the 9 inch props are fine and fully balanced, there is not additional vibrations and in calm weather the handling is so much better, i thought initially that ground effects were a factor but it appears that once the Phantom gets above 20 ft AGL the hover is ok but in yaw it tries to roll clockwise along the horizontal line of flight axis...

I will recalibrate the system and i'm looking for some advice on modifying the senstivity settings especially in yaw as it is very coarse movement and i think this could be the issue with roll.  

Any help is appreciated....
2015-4-20
Use props
ShadyDealer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I removed my prop guards as I found they would catch the props when trying to land and in one instance it nearly brought the Phantom down. Prop guards maybe ok in Zero mph wind or indoors or with the stock 8" props. When I use the 9" 9450s I will never risk flying with them on again.
2015-4-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules