New Firmware Review from a Beta Tester
1527 11 2015-4-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chris Con
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501175 ft
United States

So now that our non-disclosure agreements for this beta version are a moot point, I'd like to give a little information about what general users might expect from the firmware upgrade..
It's awesome.  

During the testing a lot of "notable" members participated in group discussions about everything.  We created active topics searching for GPS loss (atti mode), true fly aways,  IMU callibration issues, battery charging, etc. We really ran the gauntlet and I want to give a big hat tip to all of the other beta testers here.. We found bugs, sure.  But the firmware is so good that the bugs we found were not "fatal" for the most part. ... This firmware is what we've all waited for. It's given me the confidence to fly my Inspire 1 in situations where I wouldn't have dreamed of before.  DJI got it right this time.. Now they just have to throw us a bone and give the Inspire 1 a camera upgrade.. But, I'll leave that for another post.

2015-4-15
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I had one short flight with the new firmware today. Some things that gave me issues before seem to be addressed but I will need to fly a bit more to make sure it is not a placebo effect... Good on you and the rest of the Beta Testers!
2015-4-15
Use props
Chris Con
lvl.4
United States

Should also be noted here, that as far as I know, (and we were a very vocal group), 0 crashes.  0 lost Inspire 1s. .. May the trend continue.
2015-4-15
Use props
sbarryjackson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18931532 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good job Chris and thanks to all who participated. Took mine out tonight in very windy conditions and it flew like a champ.
2015-4-15
Use props
GeneralToner
lvl.4

United States

sbarryjackson, interesting you mention wind, we tested that a week or so back when there were pretty good storms across the county (no issues).  I have over 10 hours on the new firmware with not a single gps drop.  This was a very stable firmware.

Big thanks to Blade Strike and Tahoe Ed for I am sure many many hours of testing before the beta team got it.
2015-4-15
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

The timing's amusing.  I had mine up just a few hours before the new firmware was posted.  Sudden switch to Atti mode as a 30MPH gust hit.  At this point I was experienced enough to catch it and recover but it still got my attention.  Nice to know GPS stability is improving!  
2015-4-15
Use props
Chris Con
lvl.4
United States

I can also cosign with wind issues. I personally flew in 28 mph gusts at low altitude in low controlled speeds.  When a gust hit the GPS lock wasn't perfect and my Inspire 1 did move out of it's "box" , but recoveries and corrections were predictable and I felt I could "trust" my craft.  I personally didn't lose GPS to ATTI at all during the entire test (and I tried lots of crazy things to attempt it).
2015-4-15
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

Any re-linking issues?
2015-4-15
Use props
Chris Con
lvl.4
United States

That's a good question. The only relinking issues I personally had were during a third or fourth battery switch during one flying session.  App was still open and couldn't see my Inspire 1 after the new battery was turned on.  I restarted my iPhone (off topic, but everyone is talking about tablets, but I've moved from my ipad to my iphone 6 plus as my everyday screen) and the DJI Pilot app found my inspire 1's camera again... This only happened once though and to me wasn't a big issue.
2015-4-15
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

Reading thru the update notes they mention you might have to relink the RC to the Quad  Thanks
2015-4-15
Use props
Chris Con
lvl.4
United States

I had no issues with having to rebind/ relink after the update.  "It just worked"
2015-4-15
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

Same here.  No relinking - it just worked.  Also went through updating all the batteries just in case there might be an issue.  But all of them updated successfully without incident.
2015-4-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules