Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Which model ?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_C0Ll61p
lvl.2
Croatia

Hi,  

I just joined your forum and would like to ask for some advice.  
I am a photographer and would like to start filming with drones.
Recently I almost bought a hexa drone, but friend of mine advised me to get smaller model first and learn how to fly the thing. Guess that's a sensible advice...
Since I'm really just getting into drones have to admit I have no idea where to start.

Several colleagues recommended Phantom 3. Apparently there are four models - Standard, SE, Advanced and Pro.
Ideally, I would like my drone's camera to produce good enough video for documentaries or web campaign, and reasonably good photographs.  
Which model would you recommend as a beginners choice.  

Also, where could I find samples of images and videos taken with those four drones, to make a comparison. I tried youtube...
Last question, and I know there is no easy answer. Would you consider getting s/hand drone ?

Thank you  

2017-12-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You can find them in the photo/video section, yes p3 Pro is a very good drone, but if it’s video and photo your looking for you will find it hard to beat P4Pro .
2017-12-11
Use props
allyssongemelli
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2562467 ft
Brazil

If you can spend a little more, it's better buy a Phantom 4. 20 MP Camera, and you can get 4K images. The Full HD 1080p it's quite awesome! Take a look!
2017-12-11
Use props
AlanHd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

The 4 Pro has a fantastic camera. It’s well worth the extra money in my opinion.
2017-12-11
Use props
Walk The Dog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 111955 ft
Canada

The 4 Advanced or Pro have a great camera for the $.
2017-12-11
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have just posted 2 vids of mine from this afternoon. It's not pro level stuff but may give you an idea of the camera's punch for video. Both the Pro and the Advanced are very capable craft but it's personal taste as to which one is best for you and what you need.
2017-12-11
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

What is your budget?
Most of these are very easy to fly right out of the box.  The problems come in to play when you start getting comfortable and complacent.
You'll need to get used to the controls, camera ops, and flying while taking photos/videos, each by themselves not too difficult but together can be a bit more challenging.
You need to get the most platform you can afford to loose and replace.
2017-12-11
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

P4 PRO definitely the best, but the most expensive too.  If you don't have experience, there's always the danger of a crash, choose carefully.
2017-12-11
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=114373
2017-12-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

If you have the money for a P4A (advanced), I would go for that model and not for the P4P (pro)
Almost the same features except for some sensors and the 5.8 transmission.
Both are a good trade for the money I would say.
The P4A has a much better camera than the P3...
2017-12-11
Use props
JackCarter
lvl.2
Croatia

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-12-11 11:10
[view_image]

Had a look at your shots, really like them.
Whar is the difference between Spark and Phantom ? It seems they both have the same camera.
2017-12-11
Use props
JackCarter
lvl.2
Croatia

Thanks for the answers :-)
It seems I'll have to go with Phantom 3, just because of the budget. If I do get hooked on it, will get 4.
2017-12-11
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Haha they are not my shots.  I just linked the first pic to get your attention and then the thread.  

I'm sure you noticed the OP used Lightroom on the pics

2017-12-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Buying a DJI drone won't teach you how to fly RC...

These drones are pretty much stable and steady hovering, without any RC stick input.

If you seriously want to learn to actually fly, please buy an inexpensive drone like a Tiny Whoop.
& take the crash course... Here, you will be controlling everything about the flight. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-12-11
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

[view_image]

Nice pic, did you do any post work on it?
2017-12-11
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Haha... I have no connection with it... I just found the thread posted over here --------------------------------------------- >
2017-12-11
Use props
PeteHB
lvl.4

France

I am very new to drones and drone photography and am just learning both aspects, the photography was what attracted me as being an amateur photographer for 50 years. There is a lot of talk about camera quality and whilst it is OK it is not in the realm of DSLRs nor are the lenses, I have paid way more for a single lease than a P4P so I don't expect to get pin sharp stills images from my drone which happens to be a P3P but video which by and large (and is by no means my strength as I am only just getting to grips with that on a land based camera after a few years) soft focus and softer quality images are more than acceptable. Then again there is the post production work which is more of a necessity or can be with drone photography as you don't have the control that you do in a land based camera and as a personal comment I find tends to lead to excessively manipulated images.
My two bits worth is that drones are very good for video and OK for stills viewed on a PC but won't stand up to printing in large format even with a lot of cropping. However it is a whole new field to play in and opens up a lot of different previously unavailable aspects of photography to enjoy.
2017-12-11
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft
Spain

[view_image]

Wow !! Awesome shot
2017-12-12
Use props
JackCarter
lvl.2
Croatia

PeteHB Posted at 2017-12-11 23:56
I am very new to drones and drone photography and am just learning both aspects, the photography was what attracted me as being an amateur photographer for 50 years. There is a lot of talk about camera quality and whilst it is OK it is not in the realm of DSLRs nor are the lenses, I have paid way more for a single lease than a P4P so I don't expect to get pin sharp stills images from my drone which happens to be a P3P but video which by and large (and is by no means my strength as I am only just getting to grips with that on a land based camera after a few years) soft focus and softer quality images are more than acceptable. Then again there is the post production work which is more of a necessity or can be with drone photography as you don't have the control that you do in a land based camera and as a personal comment I find tends to lead to excessively manipulated images.
My two bits worth is that drones are very good for video and OK for stills viewed on a PC but won't stand up to printing in large format even with a lot of cropping. However it is a whole new field to play in and opens up a lot of different previously unavailable aspects of photography to enjoy.

Hi Pete,

you are right, it's a whole new ballgame. I have been pro photographer for some 20 years, and it feels I'm just starting out. I guess my final gole would be to fly bigger drones and do high quality work, but have to start somewhere. So, I thought I could get P3P and learn the basics, and make some money in the process. I'm not sure thats the best route, but it seems logical.
Few years ago I almost bought hexa drone, but it's probably better that I didn't.
I think P3 will do for start.
2017-12-12
Use props
JackCarter
lvl.2
Croatia

I just found s/hand Phantom 3 pro, with two batteries. Guy had it for a year and did 4 flights in total.
I'm not sure about the batteries, guess it's not great to leave them sitting for a year...
2017-12-28
Use props
PeteHB
lvl.4

France

I swopped my P3Pro for a P4 just before Christmas, haven't had time or the weather to fly the P4 yet but from what I have read the lens is better and there are less spherical and photochromic distortions. Hope you find the P3Pro works for you.
2017-12-31
Use props
JackCarter
lvl.2
Croatia

Thanks, Pete... just got it, it looks as new, almost...
Now have to get a tablet for it. I did manage to download dji software to my Samsung Core prime, but am not sure it will work.
2018-1-4
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

If you are a professional and expect professional quality and features a p4pro is the choice.
2018-1-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The P3P is a good quad to start with but is respectively 2015 tech - the Phantom has evolved considerably with the P4 series. Bang for buck, there are some amazing deals out there on the Phantom 4 Advanced which has a 1" 20MP sensor capable of DCI 4K video at 60p, mechanical shutter, variable aperture, dual H.264/.265codec and has an array of intelligent flight modes and highly sophisticated algorithms such as flight autonomy RTH and precision landing. It's the best camera drone on the market for it's price IMO. The pro version includes dual frequency (2.4 & 5.8Ghz) with 360 degree OA in tripod mode but the extra cost makes these rather unnecessary upgrade features a waste of money. So if image quality is more important to you than portability I'd recommend the P4A. If portability is more important then consider the Mavic or Mavic Platinum - the latter is about 80% quieter than the P4 - the P4 is VERY LOUD!
2018-1-4
Use props
*onecooltech*
lvl.2
Flight distance : 883406 ft
United States

[view_image]

Wow!! Nice picture.
2018-1-4
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

JackCarter Posted at 2017-12-12 02:23
Hi Pete,

you are right, it's a whole new ballgame. I have been pro photographer for some 20 years, and it feels I'm just starting out. I guess my final gole would be to fly bigger drones and do high quality work, but have to start somewhere. So, I thought I could get P3P and learn the basics, and make some money in the process. I'm not sure thats the best route, but it seems logical.

You will find that it does not take a lot of high tech to produce good aerial photos. A lot of the complexity found in modern digital cameras is no use to you when up in the air. Same applies to lenses, most times a fixed focal length lens is fine, as the content of 99% of shots is at infinity focus. The P4Pro is good value, because of its larger sensor, variable aperture and a degree of adjustable focus. If you are experienced in photography, then a P4Pro with some ND filters and shooting in RAW will get you excellent results.
2018-1-4
Use props
JackCarter
lvl.2
Croatia

Thanks, Geebax...
Just tried my P3P, is there a way to ' slow down ' controls ? I mean, to make them less sensitive...
Since I am just starting, how long does it take to learn to fly well ?
I guess around 50 hours...
2018-1-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules