1528 3 2017-12-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
roamer105
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3156145 ft
  • >>>
United States

for nearly 2 years flying a Phantom 3 PRO and for the last 6 months a Mavic PRO (in addition) most of my flights where FPV flights using Litchi FPV, my iPhone and HOMIDO goggles. Not perfect, but quite cheap. With that combination I only got head tracking for gimbal pitch which is really all that was needed. All flight controls are completely managed by the RC producting a very steady video footage during flight. I have been producing many cinematic flight videos using FPV.

I purchased the DJI Goggles because of the massive high quality display(s). I agree that the image is VERY impressive. However, the HEAD TRACKING is VERY PROBLEMATIC - true for both modes as either mode will produce a very unstable image (small, random left/right movements while airborne, even when hovering but more so when moving) even if the Goggles are layed down on a solid, stable surface (I did that just to make sure it is not my head/body ). In all cases the GIMBAL PITCH movement is perfectly stable and very smooth - much better than FPV with the iPhone. I would keep the goggles for sure if I could turn off the rest and just keep gimbal PITCH. The YAW position and movement in both modes is not stable as soon as the Mavic PRO is airborn. I moved the sensitivity sliders all-the-way to the left for both modes, but to no avail. Same results.

Of course, I could turn off all head tracking and in fact when I do that the image is completely stable. However using the Goggles that way (while the image is great) it seems an over-kill as I would get similar results with a good sunshade and my iPad.

So, there you have it. If DJI would listen and fix the yaw instability problem and in addition adds a THIRD head tracking mode that is gimbal PITCH ONLY I most certainly will reconsider purchasing that version of the Goggles.

2017-12-11
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Of course, I could turn off all head tracking and in fact when I do that the image is completely stable. However using the Goggles that way (while the image is great) it seems an over-kill as I would get similar results with a good sunshade and my iPad.

I don't use any head tracking at all, but in my opinion there's no comparison between using the goggles and a tablet like the iPad Mini 4: the goggles are far superior.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "good sunshade", but I find those three-sided versions basically useless in sunlight, and while something like the MavMount with a (four-sided) hood works well, it's less convenient to use, gets uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time, and doesn't provide the immersive experience that the goggles do.
2017-12-11
Use props
HomePoint
lvl.4
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I actually sent mine back to the UK store that I purchased them within 12 hours of trying them, I didn't even make a flight as I was so dissapointed.  If they were around £250-£300 then I would get them again, but they need a complete redesign with features and adjustments that justify £450-£500

I am sure DJI are working on it.
2017-12-11
Use props
roamer105
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3156145 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Googles ENGINEERING please consider:
Here is a list of fixes and suggested improvements for the DJI Goggles:

1) Fix the YAW stability problem (small random left/right gimbal movements) during either modes of head tracking.
        2) Add a Gimbal-Pitch-Only Head Tracking mode.
        3) Add a line from the center to "Head Tracking Gimbal AR assist crosshair" to improve ability to reposition the view to AC direction when the "crosshair" is off screen
        4) Add a metric/imperial selection option for telemetry information
        5) Allow at least a 24Hr validity/verified time to avoid having to reconnect Go 4 every before every flight. Once a day is enough.
        6) Add Color Saturation control
        7) Allow recording onto the Goggle MicroSD card
        8) Allow playback of 2.7K and 4K video recordings
        9) Add optional voice feedback for telemetry information

2017-12-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules