OSMO Plus with an z-axis....help
2090 29 2017-12-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Steve2017Newbie
lvl.2
United States

I have an OSMO Plus with a z-axis. I have seen footage that is rock solid with this combination.

I have tried everything and can't get it to be as stable as I think it should be. I am starting to wonder if something is not working correctly. The link below is footage with the z-axis.  No matter what I do I can't get much better than that.  Do you think it's not working correctly?
Thanks

2017-12-12
Use props
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69455 ft
United States

It looks like it is still canceling out most of the movement.  Did you adjust the spring tension properly?

Also, it’s not magic, you still have to walk gently if you want it to eliminate everything, and avoid jerky motions.
2017-12-12
Use props
Steve2017Newbie
lvl.2
United States

9245 Posted at 2017-12-12 20:52
It looks like it is still canceling out most of the movement.  Did you adjust the spring tension properly?

Also, it’s not magic, you still have to walk gently if you want it to eliminate everything, and avoid jerky motions.

Yes, I walked like a ninja and set the spring tension many different ways.   
The footage is not even close to being good. I have seen youtube footage where the guy was running with the OSMO and z-axis, it was much better than that.

That's unusable.
2017-12-13
Use props
Steve2017Newbie
lvl.2
United States

What does your OSMO z-axis look like

If you have an OSMO with a z-axis will you please post some footage. I can't get steady footage (see below) for the life of me. Yes, I have tried to walk like a ninja and have experimented with spring tension.

I wondering if it's not working correctly. It seems like the spring is not strong enough to hold up the camera. No matter what tension I set it at it bobs up an down a lot.

Please tell me that it works better than that

Thanks Steve

2017-12-13
Use props
lvl.4
United States

Steve2017Newbie Posted at 2017-12-13 13:03
Yes, I walked like a ninja and set the spring tension many different ways.   
The footage is not even close to being good. I have seen youtube footage where the guy was running with the OSMO and z-axis, it was much better than that.

Honestly, I would be pretty happy with that, your never going to 100% eliminate movement and you have eliminated 99%.  It looks very similar to what I get and what other users have gotten.

Also, bear in mind, that not everyone uses the Go app for their filming, others, like Filmic Pro, have built in stabilization in addition to what they get from the Z Axis.  Then understand that whatever video you watch may have gone through post processing as well to stabilize it further.

Try that same shot again without the Z axis and see what results you get...
2017-12-13
Use props
flighttime1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 906352 ft
United States

I would suggest you shoot one scene with and without the z-axis in order to see the difference. Your footage looks similar to the first time I tried out the z-axis. Practice, practice, practice.
2017-12-13
Use props
Steve2017Newbie
lvl.2
United States

9245 Posted at 2017-12-13 13:52
Honestly, I would be pretty happy with that, your never going to 100% eliminate movement and you have eliminated 99%.  It looks very similar to what I get and what other users have gotten.

Also, bear in mind, that not everyone uses the Go app for their filming, others, like Filmic Pro, have built in stabilization in addition to what they get from the Z Axis.  Then understand that whatever video you watch may have gone through post processing as well to stabilize it further.

Thanks, I will check out Filmic Pro. Is that an app?
2017-12-13
Use props
Steve2017Newbie
lvl.2
United States

Steve2017Newbie Posted at 2017-12-13 14:59
Thanks, I will check out Filmic Pro. Is that an app?

It looks like the Filmic Pro is just for the OSMO Mobile. I have the Plus
2017-12-13
Use props
lvl.4
United States

Steve2017Newbie Posted at 2017-12-13 15:11
It looks like the Filmic Pro is just for the OSMO Mobile. I have the Plus

You could use an M1 gimbal, but I was just using it as an example, my point was just that whatever you saw may well have used third party software with digital stabilization, or they could have just done it in post production.
2017-12-13
Use props
flighttime1
Second Officer
United States

Looking at the clip you are getting movement on the left side. The camera is much more sensitive to movement when the the subject is near. It's as if you had a telephoto lens on the left and a wide angle in front. If you look at the center of your video, it's very stable. As I stated in your other post, practice, practice, practice. Another problem you may find with that close and far issue is that it can't be stabilized in post. Again, for the same reason, one part of the video is smooth and the other is bouncing all over the place.
2017-12-13
Use props
Steve2017Newbie
lvl.2
United States

9245 Posted at 2017-12-13 16:05
You could use an M1 gimbal, but I was just using it as an example, my point was just that whatever you saw may well have used third party software with digital stabilization, or they could have just done it in post production.

Warp Stabilization in post does not work that will on the OSMO footage.  I think the movement is too soft and slow
2017-12-14
Use props
Steve2017Newbie
lvl.2
United States

flighttime1 Posted at 2017-12-13 19:38
Looking at the clip you are getting movement on the left side. The camera is much more sensitive to movement when the the subject is near. It's as if you had a telephoto lens on the left and a wide angle in front. If you look at the center of your video, it's very stable. As I stated in your other post, practice, practice, practice. Another problem you may find with that close and far issue is that it can't be stabilized in post. Again, for the same reason, one part of the video is smooth and the other is bouncing all over the place.

Yes, Warp Stabilization does not work that will on the OSMO footage.  I have tried

Thanks for your help
2017-12-14
Use props
flighttime1
Second Officer
United States

Steve2017Newbie Posted at 2017-12-14 03:30
Yes, Warp Stabilization does not work that will on the OSMO footage.  I have tried

Thanks for your help

It works fine if your subject is far enough away from the camera or if you're using a 25mm or longer lens.
2017-12-14
Use props
flighttime1
Second Officer
United States

Steve2017Newbie Posted at 2017-12-14 03:30
Yes, Warp Stabilization does not work that will on the OSMO footage.  I have tried

Thanks for your help

Here's a trick you can use that will help stabilize Osmo vids. Crop your vid to exclude those areas that are closest to the camera, run warp stabilizer and then undo the crop and don't redo the analyze stage. It won't help with the problem areas but it will give you as much correction as is possible.
2017-12-14
Use props
Steve2017Newbie
lvl.2
United States

flighttime1 Posted at 2017-12-14 11:39
It works fine if your subject is far enough away from the camera or if you're using a 25mm or longer lens.

Longer lens? I did not think of that.  I will try that tomorrow
2017-12-14
Use props
Steve2017Newbie
lvl.2
United States

flighttime1 Posted at 2017-12-14 11:50
Here's a trick you can use that will help stabilize Osmo vids. Crop your vid to exclude those areas that are closest to the camera, run warp stabilizer and then undo the crop and don't redo the analyze stage. It won't help with the problem areas but it will give you as much correction as is possible.

Sweet I will try it

Thanks Flighttimeme1
2017-12-14
Use props
Nigelbrinkmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

Hi, your getting there, as said lots & lots of practice
2017-12-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Steve, do you turn the tension adjustment knob too tightly?
How about its performance without Z Axis? Thank you.
2017-12-15
Use props
Steve2017Newbie
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-12-15 01:44
Hi Steve, do you turn the tension adjustment knob too tightly?
How about its performance without Z Axis ?

DJI Mindy

Will turning the tension adjustment knob too tightly damage the Z axis?

I will try and see what the footage looks like without the Z axis.
2017-12-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Steve2017Newbie Posted at 2017-12-15 19:26
DJI Mindy

Will turning the tension adjustment knob too tightly damage the Z axis?

Steve, sorry for the late response.
The balance of Z-Axis should be adjusted to ensure that the arm can move up and down freely without bumping against the endpoint. I mean do no adjust the knot too tightly.
Please refer to the user manual to adjust the balance. z-axis.png
Please let us know the performance without Z-Axis, thank you.
2017-12-18
Use props
Steve2017Newbie
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-12-18 18:24
Steve, sorry for the late response.
The balance of Z-Axis should be adjusted to ensure that the arm can move up and down freely without bumping against the endpoint. I mean do no adjust the knot too tightly.
Please refer to the user manual to adjust the balance.[view_image]

Thanks, DJI Mindy.

I know how to set up the Balance.  Even when I have it set up exactly how your diagram shows the camera bounces up and down with the slightest movement. This movement can be seen in the above video.  I wish there was a way to make the spring stiffer so the camera would not bob up and down so easily.   

I shot the same scene with and without the Z Axis, there's not much difference.

2017-12-20
Use props
lvl.4
United States

Steve2017Newbie Posted at 2017-12-20 05:09
Thanks, DJI Mindy.

I know how to set up the Balance.  Even when I have it set up exactly how your diagram shows the camera bounces up and down with the slightest movement. This movement can be seen in the above video.  I wish there was a way to make the spring stiffer so the camera would not bob up and down so easily.   

It is supposed to bounce up and down, if it didn’t, it wouldn’t work.
2017-12-20
Use props
Steve2017Newbie
lvl.2
United States

9245 Posted at 2017-12-20 10:51
It is supposed to bounce up and down, if it didn’t, it wouldn’t work.

No sh*t

Did you look at the footage? It is supposed to absorb the z-axis movement.  The video is bouncing up and down. If it was working as advertised it would not do that.
2017-12-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Steve2017Newbie Posted at 2017-12-20 05:09
Thanks, DJI Mindy.

Hi Steve, thanks for the update, I will forward the video to our engineers to look into, will come back to you very soon, thanks for the patience.
2017-12-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Steve2017Newbie Posted at 2017-12-21 08:53
No sh*t

Did you look at the footage? It is supposed to absorb the z-axis movement.  The video is bouncing up and down. If it was working as advertised it would not do that.

Hi Steve, I got the feedback from our engineers, it looks like you didn't balance the axis, if you are sure you have already balanced it properly, please note it is still important to control how you walk.
Please walk steadily and make more practice. Thank for the understanding.
2017-12-27
Use props
j.jwilsondesign
lvl.1
United States

Are you holding the handle vertically?
2018-1-2
Use props
Steve2017Newbie
lvl.2
United States

j.jwilsondesign Posted at 2018-1-2 14:36
Are you holding the handle vertically?

I have tried it both ways
2018-1-2
Use props
Christian_Milan
lvl.1

Bulgaria

Well try consulting the dji company.Hopefully they can help you with the problem.
2018-4-8
Use props
Christian_Milan
lvl.1

Bulgaria

Well try consulting the dji company.Hopefully they can help you with the problem.
2018-4-8
Use props
Christian_Milan
lvl.1

Bulgaria

2018-4-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules