Satellite drop out
2346 10 2014-10-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
michael
lvl.1

Canada

Hi

I own 2 vision 2 plus UAV's. My first one which is only a couple of months old is in for repair as the camera started going crazy on its own, it's never been crashed or landed hard. Anyway this 2+ always got good satellite lock and never dropped out during flights. I purchased a 2nd 2+ 2 weeks ago and am having issues with satellite drop outs.

On the ground before a flight it takes a few mins  to get to 4 satellites and sometimes I have to move it around and eventually picks up 6 or 7 and the lights go green so I take off. Usually during the flight, I see the green lights start to flash yellow and the 2+ starts drifting and goes into ATTI mode, the App reports that I have dropped to 5 satellites, then it picks up 6 and the gps mode comes back on, it might do this a few times during a flight.

I have tried this at different locations, always in good weather and never near any power lines, it seems that this 2+ is not as good as my 1st one.

I have recalibrated it and the transmitter using the software and updated to the latest firmware and I always do the compass calibration before every flight.

I see a lot of posts about the tin foil trick which seems to work for most people but surly this must void the warranty?  I have reported this to DJI and await for a response.  

any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
2014-10-23
Use props
xzgraham
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7 ft
United Kingdom

Send it back to your dealer for a refund or a new unit.Why should you have to mess  around  with an expensive quad that is faulty.
2014-10-23
Use props
michael
lvl.1

Canada

ive emailed DJI support to see what they recommend, but this is the 2nd unit in a few months that's not right. My first ones camera suddenly started going erratic, banging from side to side and up and down. Googled it and most people have this after a crash or hard landing but mine has had neither, I have read that others have had this also for no apparent reason. Its on its way back but they could easily say that I have crashed it and that's why it causing the issue, but  the fact is, I haven't, so keeping my fingers crossed that it gets fixed under warranty and they do not try to charge me $700 for a new gimbal/camera unit.
2014-10-23
Use props
michael
lvl.1

Canada

ok. just had an email from DJI telling me that my issue requires my phantom to be sent back for repair. So, I have contacted flying cameras in BC Canada and asked them for the RMA. So this is my second +2 that has to be returned in 2 weeks through no fault of my own. 2 plus 2s in 3 month and both have to go to repair. This is not very good especially as they expect you to pay for the shipping which costs $60.
I am complaining to DJI regarding the shipping as I do not see why I have to pay for this when the 2nd plus2 was clearly send to me with a fault.
2014-10-24
Use props
xzgraham
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7 ft
United Kingdom

Dji should  have been able to find a fix for this  by now  but  they  seem not to be bothered :@
2014-10-26
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

xzgraham@btinte Posted at 2014-10-27 00:43
Dji should  have been able to find a fix for this  by now  but  they  seem not to be bothered

That's a bit harsh,,,,  there a little bit busy at the moment......

New controller better than all the other controllers coming soooooonnn.........

I'm sure you cant wait to buy one can you??  How confident do you feel on the products and service.

There's so much competition coming up,  and technology is catching them up fast,  so best to have a look around and escape why you can.... IRIS looks cool and I just did a shoot with one in Poland with my Vision + and was let down with its usual ribbon issue.  Glad I wasn't totally reliant on my trusty vision+..............

Incidentally to me field testing means that,  don't expect much of the product back and if you do , don't expect it in one piece.....
2014-10-26
Use props
zeekxxx
New

United States

To the OP.  I just took my cover off and tucked the long wire from the GPS unit under the protective shield and just let a bit hang out from the shield to attach it to the plug in.  You can easily find this mod on youtube.  I would not bother making this post if it didnt work like a charm.  I was going from 5 to 6 sats and then it would go yellow.  Started floating away all the time.  After the mod I get 7 to 8 sats all the time.  I flew this daily always nervous as heck it was gonna drop sats and float.  Problem solved.. I flew around the local school yard and it was rock solid with no loss of sats. You can also download an app on your smartphone to see how many sats are in the area and the signal strengths.  As you get the phone closer to the DJI phantom you can see the sat signals go down.  The unit is causing a bit of interference.  Do the search on youtube.  I am not sure if it is allowed to post up links in here.  Good luck.  
2014-10-26
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

zeekxxx Posted at 2014-10-27 09:50
To the OP.  I just took my cover off and tucked the long wire from the GPS unit under the protective ...

have a look at this

Courtesy of EIRLINK

It does work.
2014-10-26
Use props
DJI -Lisa.zhu
lvl.4

China

Please contact your dealer as the first option for any check or repair issue.
Otherwise, please send mail to support @dji.com for help.\
If you are the customer located in America, please send mail to  us.support@dji.com
If you are the custoer located in Euro, please send mail to support.europe@dji.com
2014-10-26
Use props
zeekxxx
New

United States

DJI -Lisa.zhu Posted at 2014-10-27 09:55
Please contact your dealer as the first option for any check or repair issue.
Otherwise, please send ...

Thats the same link I used to do it... good one.
2014-10-26
Use props
brian.r.letendr
New

United States

I had my phantom 2 vision plus for two days and experienced the lack of satellites and them dropping once I  started video. I was hesitant to open up my new Phantom but followed the instructions To reroute the cable under the factory shield and it worked perfectly without adding any additional shielding etc.
2014-12-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules