Registering with the FAA
6848 13 2017-12-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LAphil
lvl.2
United States

Hi All,

I'm not sure if it's mandatory or not now (the internet seems to give conflicting answers) but I'm trying to register my Spark with the FAA.

How did you guys register yours? Is it under the section 336 model aircraft or Part 107 UAS rule?
The Spark *seems* to fall under both categories.

I'd be using mine recreationally.. so to fly and get footage for fun and personal use.

P.
2017-12-13
Use props
Virgil Quick
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1074104 ft
United States

I think this link will work.  It does appear that registration is now mandatory.  Congress hid this requirement in the 2018 National Defense Authorization Act, the sneaky rascals.

https://registermyuas.faa.gov
2017-12-13
Use props
LAphil
lvl.2
United States

Virgil Quick Posted at 2017-12-13 10:21
I think this link will work.  It does appear that registration is now mandatory.  Congress hid this requirement in the 2018 National Defense Authorization Act, the sneaky rascals.

https://registermyuas.faa.gov

Cheers Virgil. This is the page I'm at, but then when I click 'Register', I can't quite work out which of the two options that it presents relates to the Spark..
2017-12-13
Use props
Virgil Quick
Second Officer
United States

I selected the option on the left, the 336.  Not sure if matters all that much.
2017-12-13
Use props
Sparky Mike
lvl.2
United States

I just did 336 for fun/personal use. Its $5. 336 is the "hobbyist" one:

Please remember the Safety Guidance:
  • I will fly below 400 feet
  • I will fly within visual line of sight
  • I will be aware of FAA airspace requirements: www.faa.gov/uas/where_to_fly/airspace_restrictions
  • I will not fly directly over people
  • I will not fly over stadiums and sports events
  • I will not fly near emergency response efforts such as fires
  • I will not fly near aircraft, especially near airports
  • I will not fly under the influence

To operate as a hobbyist, you must operate according to the safety guidance you have acknowledged and in accordance with a community based set of safety guidance. For further information on the safety guidance visit

Where/how is everyone marking their sparks with their reg #s??? Says you can mark it under the battery - seems like a good idea?

2017-12-13
Use props
Virgil Quick
Second Officer
United States

Sparky Mike Posted at 2017-12-13 10:54
I just did 336 for fun/personal use. Its $5.

Where/how is everyone marking their sparks with their reg #s??? Says you can mark it under the battery - seems like a good idea?

I marked mine along the top using a small stick on label that I printed with a Casio label maker.
2017-12-13
Use props
LAphil
lvl.2
United States

Yeah I've done the same along with a sticker saying 'If you find me in your yard, your pool, or a bush, please call this number to give me back. My parents are worried about me.'
2017-12-13
Use props
Brambleman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20627 ft
United States

Officially registered under 336, definitely going to add my phone number to the sticker too.
2017-12-13
Use props
tvon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43373 ft
United States

I did mine before this became re-official.  I'm just curious how many people will call the local airport when within 5 miles.  I've commented on a dozen Boston drone youtube videos, all super obviously close to the airport (class B) I wasnt commenting to bust balls, i'm legit curious what a class B tower would say. However my comments are removed or ignored.  
2017-12-13
Use props
smithe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I have read this statement on the FAA site a few times, "Unless exclusively operated in compliance with Section 336 of Public Law 112-95 (Special Rule for Model Aircraft), the aircraft must be registered if over 0.55 lbs."  I read that to mean as long as you fly in compliance with Section 336, line of sight, outside 5 miles from an airport, etc... you don't have to register.  I don't have any issues with registering my device because let's face it, the Spark is small enough that it doesn't take long for it to be out of sight for someone with even the best eyesight, which definitely isn't me  
2017-12-13
Use props
dcchen85
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1691722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am flying my drone only for fun, but I clicked the option on the right, and registered my drone under part 107...
Can I still use the registration for recreational and hobby use, without taking the exam (Not planning on taking that exam). Or, is it best that I cancel this part 107 registration and re-register my drone under section 336 (Spending another $5)?
2017-12-13
Use props
rdg52
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7812 ft
United States

dcchen85 Posted at 2017-12-13 19:11
I am flying my drone only for fun, but I clicked the option on the right, and registered my drone under part 107...
Can I still use the registration for recreational and hobby use, without taking the exam (Not planning on taking that exam). Or, is it best that I cancel this part 107 registration and re-register my drone under section 336 (Spending another $5)?

I did the same thing as you. I sent an email to them to see what to do.

Bob
2018-1-1
Use props
JasonBo
lvl.1

United States

FAA REGISTRATION STICKER BUNDLE
https://www.slickwraps.com/bundl ... obbyist-pilots.html
Click here

Outdoor / Indoor
Laminated & UV-rated to resist fading
Water resistant
Durable & scratch resistant with a matte finish
Easy to apply with residue free removal (if you ever need to remove them, they’ll come off clean)
Customized with your FAA number as well as phone number in case of loss
2018-2-8
Use props
dansmar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 422149 ft
United States

dcchen85 Posted at 2017-12-13 19:11
I am flying my drone only for fun, but I clicked the option on the right, and registered my drone under part 107...
Can I still use the registration for recreational and hobby use, without taking the exam (Not planning on taking that exam). Or, is it best that I cancel this part 107 registration and re-register my drone under section 336 (Spending another $5)?

A part 107 registered drone needs the pilot registered part 107 to fly. Ie sort of like license plate for the drone(s) and a separate pilot license.

If it’s for recreational then it’s probably cheaper and faster to reregister as recreational - then the registration covers you and any drone you fly as long as it is labeled.

The 5 mile airport rule is not always true, some exclusion zones are larger for busy airports always check with the official FAA app B4UFLY to check if it is safe to fly.
2018-2-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules