14425 56 2017-12-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Just in a recent firmware update for Spark ,dji have introduced remote identification, you have the option at present to input information or not, it will mean those in the vicinity will be able to tap in and see who is flying in their area, it’s not compulsory now, in the future who knows.

I don’t believe this will be such a bad thing. Those flying with permission ie from ATC will now be able to be identified when they are flying with that permission and when they have left the area, it would also give ATC a chance to warn operators if something comes up or something is coming down.

I believe we will see this in all dji drones with upcoming firmware.

So what do you think? IMG_1334.jpg
2017-12-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

IMG_1334.jpg

Just in a recent firmware update for Spark ,dji have introduced remote identification, you have the option at present to input information or not, it will mean those in the vicinity will be able to tap in and see who is flying in their area, it’s not compulsory now, in the future who knows.

I don’t believe this will be such a bad thing. Those flying with permission ie from ATC will now be able to be identified when they are flying with that permission and when they have left the area, it would also give ATC a chance to warn operators if something comes up or something is coming down.

I believe we will see this in all dji drones with upcoming firmware.

So what do you think?

Apologies picture a bit askew can’t be bothered to straighten.

2017-12-14
Use props
Viking-Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2379249 ft
Spain

Even if I believe that having some control regarding the drone flight is good for the hoby as we can minimize the hazard of reckless piloting, I still don't like the sense of being observed and not having privacy, it's very "Big Brother" like, and I don't know the scope of it...I just think that our privacy is being expossed a lot allready by everything we do in our dayly life, internet, social media, mobile apps, web stores etc.
2017-12-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Viking-Pilot Posted at 2017-12-14 07:55
Even if I believe that having some control regarding the drone flight is good for the hoby as we can minimize the hazard of reckless piloting, I still don't like the sense of being observed and not having privacy, it's very "Big Brother" like, and I don't know the scope of it...I just think that our privacy is being expossed a lot allready by everything we do in our dayly life, internet, social media, mobile apps, web stores etc.

At the moment you don’t have to put your information so can remain anonymous For Now.

I very much agree you on releasing more personal information about ourselves, it seems since the onslaught of iPhones etc we have sold our soul to the devil and he won’t give it back.
2017-12-14
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Still I believe this new feature can be very beneficial in many regards. I welcome it and shall definitely use it. E.g. when uninformed and drone hostile people should criticise me, although I am flying in an authorised area, I can demonstrate that I am not hiding and not engaged in any illegal activity. Unfortunately there are also uninformed or careless drone pilots out there whose behaviour is causing all this debate about further restricting drone flying. When their drones now become visible, potentially dangerous situations or even damage can be limited etc.
And thank you for sharing the screenshot hallmark007, I definitely don't have this yet on my Android devices.

2017-12-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-12-14 08:19
Still I believe this new feature can be very beneficial in many regards. I welcome it and shall definitely use it. E.g. when uninformed and drone hostile people should criticise me, although I am flying in an authorised area, I can demonstrate that I am not hiding and not engaged in any illegal activity. Unfortunately there are also uninformed or careless drone pilots out there whose behaviour is causing all this debate about further restricting drone flying. When their drones now become visible, potentially dangerous situations or even damage can be limited etc.And thank you for shing the screenshot hallmark007, I definitely don't have this yet on my Android devices.

Yeah I do think there are plenty of benefits for users in this. I will also include my info here.
2017-12-14
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

" it will mean those in the vicinity will be able to tap in and see who is flying in their area"

Tap in how?  Every smart phone out there will be able to see via messenger or a DJI app?

As long as it is just an FAA number or such, it won't be any different than people can see what you are doing on the road by looking at your license plate.  I know the local bass fishermen would like this since they were being harassed by a Phantom drone while fishing.  They saw me paddling around with my kayak equipped with gopro cameras and thought it was my drone.  Nope, didn't have a drone at that time and I do not fly over water or away from myself.  

What is it with drones and bodies of water?  Can't have a lake without a drone buzzing around it these days.  The pilot getting another landscape photo that the internet is already full of while ruining other people's relaxing day at the lake.  Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
2017-12-14
Use props
Viking-Pilot
Second Officer
Spain

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-14 08:00
At the moment you don’t have to put your information so can remain anonymous For Now.

I very much agree you on releasing more personal information about ourselves, it seems since the onslaught of iPhones etc we have sold our soul to the devil and he won’t give it back.

Hahaha...you are absolutely right...it doesn't seem like it's going to be easier on that issue
2017-12-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Gunship9 Posted at 2017-12-14 08:59
" it will mean those in the vicinity will be able to tap in and see who is flying in their area"

Tap in how?  Every smart phone out there will be able to see via messenger or a DJI app?

As usual dji information on this is scant, which is why you ask the question maybe a new drone tracker app, bass fishermen can then send you a text to get the hell away and stop frightening the fish.

I agree with you nobody needs drones flying around them disturbing their peace.
2017-12-14
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

Double edged sword for me.
I would love to be open and legal, but two points
occur.
1 No doubt some low life will create  a hobby of listening out for drones and by some means downing them,and
2 There are so few places in the UK where you can fully legally fly.
2017-12-14
Use props
Viking-Pilot
Second Officer
Spain

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-12-14 08:19
Still I believe this new feature can be very beneficial in many regards. I welcome it and shall definitely use it. E.g. when uninformed and drone hostile people should criticise me, although I am flying in an authorised area, I can demonstrate that I am not hiding and not engaged in any illegal activity. Unfortunately there are also uninformed or careless drone pilots out there whose behaviour is causing all this debate about further restricting drone flying. When their drones now become visible, potentially dangerous situations or even damage can be limited etc.
And thank you for sharing the screenshot hallmark007, I definitely don't have this yet on my Android devices.

Yes I agree with you, but what worries me is the usage of the information gathered and who is going to have access to it.
2017-12-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bright Spark Posted at 2017-12-14 09:53
Double edged sword for me.
I would love to be open and legal, but two points
occur.

Drone Spotters yes I can see it row of cars people with binoculars anoraks comb overs and sandwiches wrapped in grease proof paper and making detailed lists. Lol
2017-12-14
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

So, you have to agree to having this info received?
2017-12-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-12-14 11:03

No you don’t have to agree, if you look under identification you can enter up 10 characters and flight information up to 90 characters, so I’m thinking it would be used more in a professional capacity than for use as hobbyists.
2017-12-14
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Viking-Pilot Posted at 2017-12-14 09:58
Yes I agree with you, but what worries me is the usage of the information gathered and who is going to have access to it.

Here you can read what it is all about: http://news.mnogoinfo.net/dji-la ... -system-for-drones/
And here the debate in another thread of this forum: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=122780
At the bottom line we are coming closer to being seen as participants in general aviation. Planes etc. have a so called transponder that emits actually more information than we shall be transmitting and have to meet much more requirements (formal registration and much more). But being recognisable in the sky for aviation authorities in my opinion will help to bring all of us to a better level. Here in my country I can regularly read uninformed newspaper articles with general aviation pilots complaining about dangerous situations that could be caused by drones. Some relate to real situations where careless drone pilots were involved, but most take place on a hypothetical level. That is enough already to put us drone pilots under general suspicion. If we are now getting recognised participants in air traffic like all others, I consider this to be a progress for the benefit of all.
2017-12-14
Use props
Viking-Pilot
Second Officer
Spain

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-12-14 12:23
Here you can read what it is all about: http://news.mnogoinfo.net/dji-la ... -system-for-drones/
And here the debate in another thread of this forum: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=122780
At the bottom line we are coming closer to being seen as participants in general aviation. Planes etc. have a so called transponder that emits actually more information than we shall be transmitting and have to meet much more requirements (formal registration and much more). But being recognisable in the sky for aviation authorities in my opinion will help to bring all of us to a better level. Here in my country I can regularly read uninformed newspaper articles with general aviation pilots complaining about dangerous situations that could be caused by drones. Some relate to real situations where careless drone pilots were involved, but most take place on a hypothetical level. That is enough already to put us drone pilots under general suspicion. If we are now getting recognised participants in air traffic like all others, I consider this to be a progress for the benefit of all.

I have read about Aeroscope and as long as it is just how they claim, I'm fine with it and I see the benefits of it in the long term as long as they (authorities) don't shrink more the drones policy.
We will see where all this leads us, I really hope this will prevent a lot of reckless pilots to behave in a hazardous way.
2017-12-14
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Viking-Pilot Posted at 2017-12-14 12:48
I have read about Aeroscope and as long as it is just how they claim, I'm fine with it and I see the benefits of it in the long term as long as they (authorities) don't shrink more the drones policy.
We will see where all this leads us, I really hope this will prevent a lot of reckless pilots to behave in a hazardous way.

And I fully agree with you because my hopes are the same!
2017-12-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-12-14 11:03

Hi Alabama, I found this it explains a lot.

DJI hаѕ launched a nеw remote identification system fοr drones called Aeroscope thаt serves аѕ аn ‘electronic license plate’.

DJI’s Aeroscope system allows drone pilots tο voluntarily identify thеіr flight operations tο authorities whіƖе still protecting thеіr privacy, thе company ѕауѕ.

Hοw іt works іѕ thаt AeroScope remotely identifies аnԁ tracks airborne drones, allowing law enforcement аnԁ aviation officials tο respond tο аnу safety οr security concerns.

AeroScope uses thе existing communications link between a drone аnԁ іtѕ remote controller tο broadcast identification information up tο 5km such аѕ a registration οr serial number, аѕ well аѕ basic telemetry, including location, altitude, speed аnԁ direction.

Under thе nеw system, DJI’s drones locally broadcast thеіr location, speed, heading аnԁ serial numbers tο AeroScope receivers, whісh authorities саn υѕе tο track drones; hοwеνеr, thеу ԁο nοt broadcast personally identifiable information, DJI ѕауѕ.

Nеw updates tο thе DJI GO 4 app аnԁ drone firmware wіƖƖ bе rolling out thіѕ week аnԁ allow drone pilots tο opt іn аnԁ share further information аbουt thеіr flights wіth authorities. Drone pilots mіɡht ԁο thіѕ, fοr instance, іf thеу аrе filming near a sensitive location аnԁ want tο ease concerns аbουt thеіr shoot.

Tο broadcast via Aeroscope, a nеw ‘remote identification’ menu іn thе DJI GO 4 app gives pilots thе option tο broadcast thеіr unique user identification code, οr UUID, tied tο each pilot’s DJI GO account, аѕ well аѕ ‘Identification & Flight Information’ іf a pilot chooses tο enter information. Thе default setting fοr both options іѕ tο nοt broadcast thеm, DJI ѕауѕ. camerajabber.com
2017-12-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-12-14 12:23
At the bottom line we are coming closer to being seen as participants in general aviation. Planes etc. have a so called transponder that emits actually more information than we shall be transmitting and have to meet much more requirements (formal registration and much more). But being recognisable in the sky for aviation authorities in my opinion will help to bring all of us to a better level. Here in my country I can regularly read uninformed newspaper articles with general aviation pilots complaining about dangerous situations that could be caused by drones. Some relate to real situations where careless drone pilots were involved, but most take place on a hypothetical level. That is enough already to put us drone pilots under general suspicion. If we are now getting recognised participants in air traffic like all others, I consider this to be a progress for the benefit of all.

Hey thanks for that it explains a lot far be it for dji to put a link in its notes to members . Good job.
2017-12-14
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-14 12:57
Hey thanks for that it explains a lot far be it for dji to put a link in its notes to members . Good job.

Thanks to you as well! I have the impression they just want to leave something for us to do too... ;-)
2017-12-14
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-14 12:54

DJI hаѕ launched a nеw remote identification system fοr drones called Aeroscope thаt serves аѕ аn ‘electronic license plate’.

Thanks, Hallmark.   I understand it a lot better now.
2017-12-14
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

One concern with a system like this, is the chances of it being hacked ... and drones being hijacked mid-air. As long as the transponder is broadcasting on a separate channel to the RC connection then it should be ok. Needless to say too much regulation will have a negative impact on our chosen pass-time... imagine if you had to login to ATC and register your flight and flight plan every time you wanted to just pop the bird up for a quick spin!
2017-12-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Lamplighter55 Posted at 2017-12-14 13:54
One concern with a system like this, is the chances of it being hacked ... and drones being hijacked mid-air. As long as the transponder is broadcasting on a separate channel to the RC connection then it should be ok. Needless to say too much regulation will have a negative impact on our chosen pass-time... imagine if you had to login to ATC and register your flight and flight plan every time you wanted to just pop the bird up for a quick spin!

ATC cover controlled airspace in order to fly in this space you need to be licensed and need permission, I don’t believe it would be humanly possible for ATC to cover all airspace below 400ft so I don’t envisage this happening.
2017-12-14
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-14 12:54

Yeah I see this as something PT107 users would use to identify even with having a waiver.
2017-12-14
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I don't think this is working on the P4Pro yet as I think it may require a firmware update. I have used it on my Mavic and it works but I can't get it to work on the Phantom.
2017-12-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-12-14 22:30
I don't think this is working on the P4Pro yet as I think it may require a firmware update. I have used it on my Mavic and it works but I can't get it to work on the Phantom.

No not yet, been awhile since we got F/Wupdate for P4Pro.
2017-12-15
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

They really need to fix existing issues before working on new stuff, would make sense seen as there are many than cannot fly due  bugs in firmware
2017-12-15
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Fine with me, I play by the rules.
2017-12-15
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

If by entering my Drone reg.no. and my flight license no. can get rid of the false FlySafe junk, forced DJI login and forced updates without possible downgrade when issues show up, then yes let it hit me.
If not, i really think DJI should get a big pile of other issues solved  before pushing this out. I woldn't be surprised if this stuff is already running in some manner causing a lot of interference for itself, not much else can explain all the trouble and shorted range even out in the wilderness a lot of users experience.
Perhaps they should stop adding new features to existing crafts and save it for future models with more processing power and bandwidth available.
2017-12-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

KedDK Posted at 2017-12-15 14:57
If by entering my Drone reg.no. and my flight license no. can get rid of the false FlySafe junk, forced DJI login and forced updates without possible downgrade when issues show up, then yes let it hit me.
If not, i really think DJI should get a big pile of other issues solved  before pushing this out. I woldn't be surprised if this stuff is already running in some manner causing a lot of interference for itself, not much else can explain all the trouble and shorted range even out in the wilderness a lot of users experience.
Perhaps they should stop adding new features to existing crafts and save it for future models with more processing power and bandwidth available.

It’s already in spark and Mavic , so it’s coming , there are plenty of positives in this for some , fact that you can opt out or not opt in is your choice.
Hopefully other issues get sorted for those who have them.
2017-12-15
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-15 15:09
It’s already in spark and Mavic , so it’s coming , there are plenty of positives in this for some , fact that you can opt out or not opt in is your choice.
Hopefully other issues get sorted for those who have them.

But would it be total disabled if 'opt out' or would it still use bandwidth for sending out some default stuff as serial no. or other things?
Modifications like this very well could explain the range and video feed trouble more and more are reporting.
2017-12-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

KedDK Posted at 2017-12-15 15:18
But would it be total disabled if 'opt out' or would it still use bandwidth for sending out some default stuff as serial no. or other things?
Modifications like this very well could explain the range and video feed trouble more and more are reporting.

Well if your having problems with this now it has nothing to do with above because it’s not available for P4Pro. But to answer your question I don’t know enough about it.
2017-12-15
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-14 14:26
ATC cover controlled airspace in order to fly in this space you need to be licensed and need permission, I don’t believe it would be humanly possible for ATC to cover all airspace below 400ft so I don’t envisage this happening.

Indeed ;-) I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek there ... however the ATC I'm alluding to is UAV specific flight monitoring systems as proposed by NASA and DJI are working on. It will probably be an automated system (layer) in addition to the current GPS Geo-fencing of no-fly-zones. But dynamic and 'real-time' - new drones being shipped with omnidirectional beacon transponders etc.
2017-12-15
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

-Apologies picture a bit askew can’t be bothered to straighten.-

But you could have turned it 90 °? ;-)
065919y3o4vhj3svuhj3jf.jpg

2017-12-15
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

And I think it is part of this:

https://www.dji.com/newsroom/new ... -aeroscope-solution
2017-12-15
Use props
Todd in Chicago
lvl.4
Flight distance : 513757 ft
United States

DJI has indicated that Aeroscope has no capabilities to interfere with flight, it is a one way communication; basically eavesdropping on the signal.

By the way, from what I've heard, you never needed Aeroscope or any firmware updates to do that...eavesdrop on the signal.  Aeroscope just makes it easier for official users to get the information they need to ensure safety.  Also Aeroscope will not be available to the general public.

With the firmware upgrades, it provides a way for drone pilots to provide useful information VOLUNTARILY to show INTENT.

:-)

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago
2017-12-15
Use props
fansb2edd25e
lvl.3
Flight distance : 736775 ft
United States

I have no problems with the introduction of what is essentially a transponder;  they've been used on aircraft for decade. and they are required for use in many areas.  However,  transponders in aircraft have to be turned on, they are not on by default.   I never turned either of the UUID or the other field and they were on when I looked at them  Oneof the reasons that transponders are not on all the time, is that they would generate needless clutter for ATC.    I'm not so sure about the drone ID being option.   Two field can be added by the pilot for clarification.  IE  myp4p  as opposed to using the drone serial number for controller interaction etc.  I may be wrong,  by I believe  data is being transmitted even at this point, "optional"; it's just not being personalized.
2017-12-15
Use props
fansb2edd25e
lvl.3
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-15 15:28
Well if your having problems with this now it has nothing to do with above because it’s not available for P4Pro. But to answer your question I don’t know enough about it.

The addition of the ID fields are certainly on the P4P;   I have one.
2017-12-15
Use props
fansb2edd25e
lvl.3
United States

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-12-15 05:13
Fine with me, I play by the rules.

I'm glad you "play by the rules",  but don't you want to know what rules have changed?  As a  PIC everyone should know about it.
2017-12-15
Use props
fansb2edd25e
lvl.3
United States

KedDK Posted at 2017-12-15 15:18

Im not an engineer, but the number of bytes being transmitted is probably minimal, and are probably not streaming data constantly, meaning that the data is probably being transmitted at intervals.
2017-12-15
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules