CE area, 5.8GHz questions
859 2 2017-12-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

I try to understand some technical issues with android and 5.8GHz in CE area.

Wifianalyzer (VREM), an android app running on my sony xperia m4, says the available channels are:
36,40,44,48,52,56,60,64,100,104,108,112,116,120,124,128,132,140,144,149,153,157,161,165
It that channel list correct?
(I have had no luck finding the frequency channels used in EU in other ways).

For the spark I use an iPhone SE and tell the spark to use a 2.4GHz channel.
The iPhone then uses channel 151 or 159 to connect to the rc.
But those channel are not on the list above. Right?
Can't android use those channels? Or what is the android 5.8GHz issue?

Related question:
Does android shut cellular data down when connected to wifi?
Or does it just mess the routing table up?
2017-12-14
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 922569 ft
France

I would say your channel list is correct (not sure for 165), but Spark 5.8Ghz is only able to use 149 to 165.

Unfortunately, many (even recent) 5.8GHz enabled Android phones do not see those channels in Europe, because :

- they are not authorized since long time and software support has just not been updated
- the allowed power is so low that vendrod purposely disable them to prevent having bad connections

That said, the hardware is usually capable to use them with decent power level as soon as it switch to an adequate (but illegal) regulatory domain.

The Spark RC plays the role of the Wifi access point (router) and even in Europe, the Spark RC do broadcast a "US" wifi regulatory domain. If you put them in airplane mode, some phones should be able to use this to switch to this doamain and use 5.8 GHz between RC and phone. You may have to also shut down Wifi and re-enable it as right after enabling Wifi stack is sometime in "00" regulatory level for a short amount of time in order to be able to select a first network. (and stick to its domain after that, this is why other networks should be "erased" t prevent the phoen connecting to them first)
2017-12-14
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

Thanks! That was very helpful.
I would contribute with something, but after reading several wifi threads here I just got a headache.
Would it work to use channels 36,40,44,48 between phone and rc ?
Assuming all newer android devices see those channels.
2017-12-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules