Gimbal Cover Reminder
2083 22 2017-12-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

I wanted to share something that has saved me numerous times.  I bought the "enhanced" gimball bubble that has the gimbal holding clamp built into it.  After forgetting to take it off a couple of times, I also bought a large red ribbon and velcroed it to the bubble.  Now, it's impossible to begin a flight without noticing that the bubble is still on.  You don't need to buy a special ribbon like I did.  Anything long and visible will certainly get your attention.

IMG_3561.JPG
2017-12-14
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Looks like a good idea,   haha!
2017-12-14
Use props
tomramos213
lvl.2
United States

Remove before you go
2017-12-27
Use props
Caspers driver
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4540515 ft
United States

Not only a great ideal. It's a necessity for someone like me.
I've got red ribbons on clamp and tiny ones on battery's to remind me to remove after flight (to cool)
2017-12-27
Use props
4WDaus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1187257 ft
Australia

Love it, the mother of necessity!
2017-12-27
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Awesome idea. HAHA
2017-12-27
Use props
RL_XXI
lvl.3
Flight distance : 456 ft
United States

When I first read this I thought damn, must have bad memory to forget the cover, after the second time I forgot to remove it sparked me to get one as well. LOL Thanks for the idea.
2017-12-31
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Where did you get the ribbon and string? Looks like something from a parachute
2017-12-31
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

After forgetting to remove it a couple of times, I appropriated a piece of red ribbon from my wife's sewing stuff. A wee bit of super glue and I've not forgotten since.
2017-12-31
Use props
RL_XXI
lvl.3
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2017-12-31 14:20
Where did you get the ribbon and string? Looks like something from a parachute

Got mine here,... https://carolinadronz.com/products/remove-before-flight-keychain
2017-12-31
Use props
RL_XXI
lvl.3
United States

Twice this week I forgot the damn thing,... doh! Not any more. Drilled 2 small holes in the cover and used a very small cable tie I use for securing wires in my racing quad builds. Thanks again to the OP for this great idea. I just wish the weather would get warmer so I can get some sky miles on the clock.

2018-1-4
Use props
IceBox-Murdock
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43845 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is a very bright idea! Thanks to you!
2018-1-4
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

I just want to get the tag for a great keychain accessory
2018-1-4
Use props
eddieNoob
lvl.4
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2018-1-4 14:59
I just want to get the tag for a great keychain accessory

eBay is loaded with these. I got two for a tad over 5 bucks, free shipping.
They even come with a big heavy key-ring for each.
2018-1-7
Use props
RolandW
lvl.2
United States

The OP wrote, "Now, it's impossible to begin a flight without noticing that the bubble is still on." Well maybe, but it is still quite possible to power up the aircraft with the gimbal cover/clamp in place. I know everybody thinks these RBF ribbons are so cool, but what you need is something that blocks the power button. If you have no intention of flying (for example if you simply intend to power up the aircraft to update firmware, check a setting, or use the simulator) you could very easily turn on the power without giving the clamp a thought, ribbon or no. Ideally, the gimbal cover would have an appendage that would block the power button, but given the locations of the button and clamp, this would be difficult if not impossible to design. Or DJI could implement an interlock switch, but that would add cost. I'll bet there will be lots of new Mavic owners who will accidentally power up their birds even though they have a spiffy red ribbon dangling from the gimbal clamp, especially this time of year when we're all fiddling with them inside, waiting for the weather to get better. I got some red Post-it flags and printed "Clamp!" on them. I stick them over the power button on each battery. That's where the reminder needs to be, not on the gimbal.
2018-1-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cool little accessory - especially for that clamp!
2018-1-7
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

eddieNoob Posted at 2018-1-7 03:46
eBay is loaded with these. I got two for a tad over 5 bucks, free shipping.
They even come with a big heavy key-ring for each.

Do you have a link to the ones you purchased? Not all i have seen come with key ring. TIA!
2018-1-7
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Oh Dear......1 step away from flying rites being revoked.
2018-1-7
Use props
eddieNoob
lvl.4
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2018-1-7 07:17
Do you have a link to the ones you purchased? Not all i have seen come with key ring. TIA!

Here you go:

RemoveBeforeFlightFlagWKeyRing

From Tuscaloosa, Alabama.   'o)  Nice big (not giant) key rings, too.

2018-1-7
Use props
RL_XXI
lvl.3
United States

RolandW Posted at 2018-1-7 06:34
it is still quite possible to power up the aircraft with the gimbal cover/clamp in place.  

To each their own. I like the ribbon reminder, I haven't powered on my bird once without taking the cover off since I added it. It's really hard to not see that big red flag that tells me do nothing until removed.
2018-1-7
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

RolandW Posted at 2018-1-7 06:34
The OP wrote, "Now, it's impossible to begin a flight without noticing that the bubble is still on." Well maybe, but it is still quite possible to power up the aircraft with the gimbal cover/clamp in place. I know everybody thinks these RBF ribbons are so cool, but what you need is something that blocks the power button. If you have no intention of flying (for example if you simply intend to power up the aircraft to update firmware, check a setting, or use the simulator) you could very easily turn on the power without giving the clamp a thought, ribbon or no. Ideally, the gimbal cover would have an appendage that would block the power button, but given the locations of the button and clamp, this would be difficult if not impossible to design. Or DJI could implement an interlock switch, but that would add cost. I'll bet there will be lots of new Mavic owners who will accidentally power up their birds even though they have a spiffy red ribbon dangling from the gimbal clamp, especially this time of year when we're all fiddling with them inside, waiting for the weather to get better. I got some red Post-it flags and printed "Clamp!" on them. I stick them over the power button on each battery. That's where the reminder needs to be, not on the gimbal.

As someone else said, "To each his own".  Since adding that ribbon to my bubble, I've not once powered up with the bubble on.  Also, when I drive to a location to fly, the first thing I do is drop the bubble inside my trunk - among other stuff in there.  I've never had a problem finding that small, clear bubble afterwards thanks to the ribbon.
2018-1-7
Use props
RolandW
lvl.2
United States

Yes, of course, do whatever works for you. All I’m saying is that a ribbon on the gimbal cover or clamp does not conform to sound lockout-tagout practice.
Imagine there’s a large machine broken down in a manufacturing plant, and it’s your job to crawl deep inside it to make the repair. Which safety method would you prefer: put a red warning ribbon on the components you’ll be working on inside the machine or padlock the electrical disconnect on the wall?
2018-1-9
Use props
rdg52
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7812 ft
United States

RolandW Posted at 2018-1-9 06:09
Yes, of course, do whatever works for you. All I’m saying is that a ribbon on the gimbal cover or clamp does not conform to sound lockout-tagout practice.
Imagine there’s a large machine broken down in a manufacturing plant, and it’s your job to crawl deep inside it to make the repair. Which safety method would you prefer: put a red warning ribbon on the components you’ll be working on inside the machine or padlock the electrical disconnect on the wall?

You can find them here too. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ ... fore+flight+ribbion
2018-1-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules