New (Replacement) Mavic Pro Rotates/Slides with No Controller Input
13706 162 2017-12-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Susan
Administrator

Jyunte Posted at 2017-12-24 22:54
I now have a case number from "Hanna T" at Support.

DJI Susan, please confirm that I will receive a NEW aircraft, not a refurbished aircraft. This Mavic Pro has been defective since day one, ten days ago (I started this thread the day I received it via FedEx). I don't see why I should receive a second-hand, "possibly fixed" aircraft when I haven't even had a single problem free day with this brand new aircraft.

I've received your message in PM, thanks! The support will help to send the shipping label soon, please kindly send it in when you received it. As for the replacement, please check the policy from here: https://www.dji.com/service/policy
Replacement service.png
2017-12-25
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2103150 ft
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-12-25 03:09
I've received your message in PM, thanks! The support will help to send the shipping label soon, please kindly send it in when you received it. As for the replacement, please check the policy from here: https://www.dji.com/service/policy

DJI Susan, thanks for posting that. I know that I will get a replacement, since the aircraft is defective, and it was reported to DJI 7 days after receiving it (and the problem reported on this forum on the day it was received). My question is about getting a NEW, Mavic Pro,  not a refurbished unit.
2017-12-25
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Jyunte Posted at 2017-12-25 04:37
DJI Susan, thanks for posting that. I know that I will get a replacement, since the aircraft is defective, and it was reported to DJI 7 days after receiving it (and the problem reported on this forum on the day it was received). My question is about getting a NEW, Mavic Pro,  not a refurbished unit.

The local team will take care of the case once the package arrived. They will offer you the corresponding solutions according to the damage assessment result.
2017-12-25
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-12-25 22:57
The local team will take care of the case once the package arrived. They will offer you the corresponding solutions according to the damage assessment result.

I said goodbye to my defective Mavic Pro this morning... Shipped it back to DJI in Cerritos, CA, about an hour's drive away. No doubt I'll be without a replacement for weeks. :-(
2017-12-26
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
United States

Jyunte Posted at 2017-12-26 22:59
I said goodbye to my defective Mavic Pro this morning... Shipped it back to DJI in Cerritos, CA, about an hour's drive away. No doubt I'll be without a replacement for weeks. :-(

My Mavic Pro was delivered to the DIJ Cerritos facility this morning. The clock begins!
2017-12-27
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Jyunte Posted at 2017-12-27 19:00
My Mavic Pro was delivered to the DIJ Cerritos facility this morning. The clock begins!

Well noted. It may take some time due to the holiday, but rest assured, our service center is now doing their best to speed up the process.
2017-12-28
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-12-28 00:06
Well noted. It may take some time due to the holiday, but rest assured, our service center is now doing their best to speed up the process.

DJI shipped out my replacement Mavic Pro to me today. It was shipped UPS, instead of FedEx, which seems unusual. Also strange, is the email I was sent. It has a space for the serial number of the Mavic Pro that was shipped, but it's blank... As is the serial number field on my DJI repair ticket online. Since I don't know the serial number, I can't tell if this is a refurbished unit or a new unit. DJI Susan, can you please send me the serial number? I'll PM you the case number. Thanks.
2018-1-8
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
United States

Jyunte Posted at 2018-1-8 13:56
DJI shipped out my replacement Mavic Pro to me today. It was shipped UPS, instead of FedEx, which seems unusual. Also strange, is the email I was sent. It has a space for the serial number of the Mavic Pro that was shipped, but it's blank... As is the serial number field on my DJI repair ticket online. Since I don't know the serial number, I can't tell if this is a refurbished unit or a new unit. DJI Susan, can you please send me the serial number? I'll PM you the case number. Thanks.

No response from DJI on the serial number request (send here and in a PM).
Guess I'll find out within 3.5 hours, as  it's on a UPS truck for delivery right now.
I'm going to have the UPS driver wait while I check the package for damage, and check the serial number on the box. If it's a refurbished unit, I'll refuse delivery and take it up with my credit card company.
2018-1-9
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Jyunte Posted at 2018-1-9 14:15
They replaced my late-2017 Mavic Pro, with a unit manufactured in 2015. This is unacceptable.
Has to sign for the package before I could examine it.

There were no Mavics manufactured in 2015.
2018-1-9
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2018-1-9 14:41
There were no Mavics manufactured in 2015.

You are right. I misread the serial number! I deleted my post.

The serial number of this replacement begins 08QCE, which should be 2017. There is lots of discussion regarding the difference between 08QU and 08QC prefixes. Someone on another forum reported that DJI confirmed his 08QU-prefix was a refurbished unit (even though it did not have the -R suffix, or any R in the serial number, and was bought, new, from a local retailer).

I guess I'll wait to hear from DJI again. It is raining, hard, in southern California, so I can't fly it today anyway.
2018-1-9
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-12-28 00:06

Well... I can't say I'm impressed.

This second replacement Mavic Pro does EXACTLY the same thing as the first replacement:

• Rotates to the left while hovering
  • Flies to the right when it should be flying in a straight line. This is not a great video, but unfortunately, I'd already deleted better videos from the card.
  • The gimbal did a serious reset during the first flight today... recording stopped, gimbal reset, lost control over the camera for approximately 15-20 seconds.
  • In Sport Mode, when stopping after flying straght forward, the aircraft shoots off to the right under braking.
  • In Sport Mode, when stopping after flying straght backwards, the aircraft shoots off to the left under braking.

I flew in two different places, 40 miles apart, just to rule out the possibility that it's anything to do with the flying location. The first location was at the local flying field and I did a compass calibration, even though the app did not say it was necessary. Before doing this calibration, I took off my watch, emptied my pockets, removed my cell phone, and moved the RC and display away from the aircraft. I did the calibration at the top of a 200ft hill, away from all magnetic and RF sources. The second location was at the beach. I got the same problem at both locations.

Maybe it's a batch of Mavic Pro aircraft that does this. I can't believe I'm the only one seeing this! A number of us Osmo owners see the same counter-clockwise rotation on the Osmo gimbal, not that they're the same -- just saying.

My first Mavic Pro exhibited NONE of these problems. Maybe I was just lucky, and they're all crap now?

2018-1-11
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

Could you ask for a refund and walk away with this messy situation?
2018-1-11
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
United States

DTK Posted at 2018-1-11 20:57
Could you ask for a refund and walk away with this messy situation?

Probably... But I would really like to continue flying, get my Part 107 , and earn some money. That was the goal all along.
2018-1-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Jyunte Posted at 2018-1-11 19:24
Well... I can't say I'm impressed.

This second replacement Mavic Pro does EXACTLY the same thing as the first replacement:

Jyunte, could you upload the original videos in the SD card to Dropbox and share the link here?  I'll forward to our engineers for double check.
2018-1-12
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-1-12 02:37
Jyunte, could you upload the original videos in the SD card to Dropbox and share the link here?  I'll forward to our engineers for double check.

I will. I'll make sure the firmware and software is fully updated (new firmware was just released).
In fact, I'll do some short, simple "straight line" flights tomorrow and upload both the videos and flight logs for your engineers to look at.
2018-1-12
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Jyunte Posted at 2018-1-12 08:13
I will. I'll make sure the firmware and software is fully updated (new firmware was just released).
In fact, I'll do some short, simple "straight line" flights tomorrow and upload both the videos and flight logs for your engineers to look at.

I'd also try an IMU calibration after you upgrade the firmware; it's possible that might do the trick. Other than that the only thing I can think of to suggest is calibrating the remote, but I'm guessing that won't help since it's presumably the same remote you've been using all along.
2018-1-12
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2018-1-12 14:09
I'd also try an IMU calibration after you upgrade the firmware; it's possible that might do the trick. Other than that the only thing I can think of to suggest is calibrating the remote, but I'm guessing that won't help since it's presumably the same remote you've been using all along.

Thanks for the suggestions. You're right, it's the same RC and I've calibrated it several times in an attempt to solve this problem. It shows no errors and seems to be perfectly calibrated. I'll do an IMU calibration also.
2018-1-12
Use props
Mavdude
lvl.4
Australia

Hmmmm, just the other day I was trying to fly a straight line and my Mav would gravitate to the left, and when I was stopping it would move to the left a lot. Almost ran into a pole because of it! There was a slight cross breeze, but when I turned around it still moved to the left when flying and braking(against the wind).
I have also noticed that it very slowly rotates with no stick input.
I will play more with this next time I go for a fly and try and get a better feel for what is going on.
2018-1-12
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
United States

Mavdude Posted at 2018-1-12 15:00
Hmmmm, just the other day I was trying to fly a straight line and my Mav would gravitate to the left, and when I was stopping it would move to the left a lot. Almost ran into a pole because of it! There was a slight cross breeze, but when I turned around it still moved to the left when flying and braking(against the wind).
I will play more with this next time I go for a fly and try and get a better feel for what is going on.

Oh, I'm glad it's not just me! The rotation during hovering that I see, is drastic, and it takes a long time to stop turning. Again, this is just like the gimbal drifting that we see on DJI Osmo units. DJI has not come up with a solution to that since we reported it months ago.
2018-1-12
Use props
4WDaus.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1187257 ft
Australia

Jyunte Posted at 2018-1-12 16:29
Oh, I'm glad it's not just me! The rotation during hovering that I see, is drastic, and it takes a long time to stop turning. Again, this is just like the gimbal drifting that we see on DJI Osmo units. DJI has not come up with a solution to that since we reported it months ago.

Feeling for you, hope you get a result good soon
2018-1-12
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
United States

Mavdude Posted at 2018-1-12 15:00
I will play more with this next time I go for a fly and try and get a better feel for what is going on.

Just another thing to try... Put it in Sport Mode, fly straight away from you, then let go of the stick to make the aircraft stop. Does is deviate drastically to one side as it brakes? Try the same thing, but flying backwards. Does it deviate drastically, maybe to the opposite side? See my cellphone video, a couple of posts above.

2018-1-12
Use props
Mavdude
lvl.4
Australia

Yes, that is exactly what it was doing. When you let go of the stick it would move up to several meters to the left when stopping. I think I may have tried reverse, but don't remember what it did.
Raining here today

I was also suprised at the drift when travelling forward, especially since it was in gps mode. In my mind, when in gps mode, when I push the stick straight forward, it should hold its heading as it is travelling forward, unless I rotate to a new heading.

Ps I was in sports mode, I will also try vanilla mode(normal)  next time.
Pps, what firmware version? I am on the second last .0100
2018-1-12
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
United States

This is what I did in preparation for today's flight tests:

• Updated Mavic Pro firmware using Assistant 2 to 1.04.0200. Update was successful.
  • Updated RC firmware using Assistant 2 to 1.04.0200. Update was successful.
  • Performed Visual Sensor calibration using Assistant 2. Calibration was successful.
  • Checked all 3 batteries. No updates required.
  • Calibrated RC. Calibration was successful, no deviation found.
  • Calibrated IMU on flat, level surface. Calibration was successful.
  • Calibrated Compass. Calibration was successful (no metalic objects or sources of RFI neaby).
  • Calibrated Gimbal. Calibration was succesfful.

Below is the edited video from several flights. It shows the Mavic Pro rotating during hover and drifting to the right while flying forward.

Clip #1
  • Starts pointing into the wind
  • Rotates right while hovering
  • Outbound flight: Drifts to the right (drifting down-wind) on outbound flight
  • Return Flight: Drifts to the right (drifting into the wind), flies over right side of hill

Clip #2
  • Starts down-wind, flying cross-wind
  • Aircraft is aligned with 2 verical poles
  • Outbound Flight: Aircraft drifts right (driting down-wind)

Clip #3
  • Aircraft is aligned with 2 verical poles
  • Return Flight: Drifts strongly left (no wind) - Only time it drifted left

Clip #4
  • Starting up-wind, pointing directly down-wind.
  • Aircraft repeatedly rotates left and is frequently corrected to point at target hill
  • Drifts severely to the right, missing target hill completely (off by 200 yards)

Clip #5
  • Starts down-wind, pointing directly into wind.
  • Aircraft aligned with a bush approximately 30 yards away
  • Aircraft drifts to the right, misses bush.

There was a constant, but fairly light wind present during most of the test flights today. The videos indicate wind didn't really affect the flying characteristics of this aircraft - It drifts right while flying in up-wind, down-wind, and cross-wind situations.

Here is the Dropbox link to the undedited version of clip #1 (recorded  to the Maviic's SD card in 720P to reduce file size).

This is the Dropbox link to the Flight Logs and DAT file.

2018-1-13
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
United States

DJI Susan, can you give me an update on this issue? Should I be returning my Mavic Pro for a refund? If I can't fly this thing in a straight line, it's not much use to me.
2018-1-15
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
United States

I started another case with DJI Support.

Sigh. I was so happy with my first Mavic, then I crashed it. Now I'm in DJI Hell... Trying to get a product from them that works.
2018-1-15
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Jyunte Posted at 2018-1-13 18:28
This is what I did in preparation for today's flight tests:

Received with thanks! We'll double check with our engineers, and com back later.
2018-1-15
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-1-15 18:34
Received with thanks! We'll double check with our engineers, and com back later.

Since we're always under a time constraint to return defective aircraft, I started a new trouble ticket with DJI Support.

I find it strange that two Mavic Pro aircraft would exhibit exactly the same response.

I find it even more strange that the DJI repair facility must have confirmed the problem existed in the first replacement in order to justify sending me another aircraft, but did nothing to make sure it did not exist in the second replacement. This makes me believe the problem exists in most, or at least many, Mavic Pros from many/most manufacture runs.

DJI needs to find out what causes the problem, and send me a new Mavic Pro which DOES NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM. That's what I paid for.
2018-1-15
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
United States

What the hell?

The DJI Support person who got my new support request just sent me an email saying that my case is already closed!

"Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

First of all, we would really like to thank you for your patronage in our products and we are sorry to hear that you're having issues with your drone. As per checking on the system, the ticket was resolved already. With regard to the replacement, we have dedicated drones for DJI Care Refresh, which reach the manufacturing standards of a new drone
."
I think my initial contact to DJI was pretty clear. Are you just blowing me off, DJI?

2018-1-16
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
United States

I contacted online support and was issued a case number. I was then sent a UPS shipping label. No questions were asked about the problems I'm experiencing with my 2nd replacement Mavic Pro... I  just got a shipping label!

So, now I roll the dice, again, and send a Mavic Back to DJI, again. All this in the hope that I'll get one that works like the very first one!
2018-1-18
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Jyunte Posted at 2018-1-18 00:17
I contacted online support and was issued a case number. I was then sent a UPS shipping label. No questions were asked about the problems I'm experiencing with my 2nd replacement Mavic Pro... I  just got a shipping label!

So, now I roll the dice, again, and send a Mavic Back to DJI, again. All this in the hope that I'll get one that works like the very first one!

Jyunte, our engineers re reviewing all data you offered, we'll come back if there is any update.
2018-1-18
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-1-18 19:06
Jyunte, our engineers re reviewing all data you offered, we'll come back if there is any update.

I shipped it back to DJI this morning, per the email and shipping label I received.

I included all the information included in my posts here, all the original videos, DAT files and Log Files are on the SD card that came with the Mavic.

I *really* just want to have a Mavic Pro that works as well as the first one (that I crashed).  It's quite possible that it's not the aircraft itself... maybe the controller is doing something weird, but the DJI engineers have not suggested it, and no one who has looked at the logs said they showed input from the controller at all. I've been without a Mavic Pro longer than I've owned any replacement aircraft. This is not good.
2018-1-18
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Jyunte Posted at 2018-1-18 20:04
I shipped it back to DJI this morning, per the email and shipping label I received.

I included all the information included in my posts here, all the original videos, DAT files and Log Files are on the SD card that came with the Mavic.

I understand your situation, and will keep follow up.
2018-1-18
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-1-18 23:32

I just checked the status of my return. It shows my Mavic was "accepted" on Tuesday January 16th (it's currently 10:20pm on Saturday), but not "Received"... what does that mean?
2018-1-20
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
United States

Looks like someone else is having the same issues: How straight is a straight line?
2018-1-21
Use props
Mavdude
lvl.4
Australia

Finally got out for a fly and can confirm that it slides to the left(several meters) when stopping after travelling forward and to the right when in reverse. The faster you go the worse the slide is. It happens in P mode too, but you have to be going fast, if you are just putting around it is pretty good.
It is much more noticable if you are close to the ground.

As for the rotating, when you rotate the craft, the gimble tries to stay at its current image, then when you stop rotating, it slowly finds its way back to centre as it will have gone to its extreme left or right position, depending on which way you rotated. I think this is working normally. If I leave it hovering, it doesn't really rotate.

2018-1-21
Use props
Ole Frederiksen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 724472 ft
Denmark

Jyunte Posted at 2018-1-21 00:43
Looks like someone else is having the same issues: How straight is a straight line?

... and that's me . I have received some tips that I will have to try out before saying I have the same issue as you do with your drone. The issues I have looks similar when moving forward/backward. But I don't recall to have seen the drone (or gimbal) rotate when hovering.

I do have a problem with a straight horizon though which you do not seem to gave on your videos.

I'm not sure we have the same problem, but when I have performed som more tests I will write about it in my original post.
2018-1-21
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-1-18 23:32

My Mavic Pro has moved on to the "Damage Assessment" phase. Next steps are "Quotation", "Repair", and "Shipment".

Why would it need damage assessment? It wasn't crashed.
A quotation for repairs? It wasn't crashed, it was defective out the box.
2018-1-22
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
United States

Interesting... I just got an email saying they replaced the flight controller ESC board. No charge, warranty repair.

Why I find this interesting, is that the DAT and log files showed the compass was fighting the GPS over where they thought the aircraft was in space. It didn't sound like an ESC problem.
And, why would TWO Mavic Pro, both brand new, straight from the factory, exhibit exactly the same problem?
Finally, why was the first replacement not tested, just replaced?
It seems other Mavic Pro aircraft are having the same problems as mine. Is this an indication of a larger manufacturing problem?

Now that they're replaced parts in my aircraft, I wonder if I'll actually get the same aircraft back?
2018-1-22
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Jyunte Posted at 2018-1-22 10:05
My Mavic Pro has moved on to the "Damage Assessment" phase. Next steps are "Quotation", "Repair", and "Shipment".

Why would it need damage assessment? It wasn't crashed.

Jyunte, it is the normal procedure of repair case. Free of charge will be provided if it is a warranty case. And each step can be traced in our system. It is estimated to be shipped in the coming working days. Hope you receive it soon.
2018-1-23
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-1-23 01:33
Jyunte, it is the normal procedure of repair case. Free of charge will be provided if it is a warranty case. And each step can be traced in our system. It is estimated to be shipped in the coming working days. Hope you receive it soon.

DJI Susan, why would DJI tell me all the information about the "repair" to my aircraft (that they confirmed the problem with my Mavic Pro; they found a problem with the ESC controller board; they replaced the ESC Controller board; that the repair took over 2 hours)... Only to ship me a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT AIRCRAFT, not the one they fixed that should now work perfectly?

Oh, the aircraft they are shipping me is older than the one I sent back!

Sent in for repair: 08QCE82.....VX (Manufactured 2-August-2017)
Shipped back to me: 08QDE4N..R..AS (Manufactured 22-April-2017)

My original Mavic Pro, the one these replaced, was manufactured in July of 2017!

And there's that suspicious "R" in the 10th position in the serial number.

What's going on, DJI?
2018-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules