Beginner question
953 14 2017-12-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fanse010d52c
New

United States

Do you watch the drone or the screen when flying with drone within sight?  I’m thinking of adding an iPad mini 4 to better see the screen.
2017-12-15
Use props
ny300z
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2603478 ft
United States

always both
2017-12-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You need to be able to see the drone at anytime but you will also use the screen to navigate and line up shots so yep, both.
2017-12-15
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good idea to add the bigger screen if that works best for you. Yes, I usually review the screen and drone while in flight. At one point I'd thought about getting ipad mini but decided against it only because the iPhone 7 Plus was just right for me.
2017-12-15
Use props
Lobstah Mobstah
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1218379 ft
United States

I watch both.  I like to know where my drone is in relation to me and I like to "see" what my drone is seeing.
2017-12-15
Use props
4WDaus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1187257 ft
Australia

Everyone seems to find their own setup, myself I use an iPad full size.. much easier to see what you are shooting.
2017-12-15
Use props
jcgoobee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 476119 ft
United States

As a beginner, I suggest you maintaining eye contact with your drone when flying out, just to get the sense of your orientation. Once you feel more comfortable, you can use your screen (iPad etc) as your visual. Still, FAA says that you should always maintain visual with your drone but when it's a bit far away, it's a challenge.
2017-12-15
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

AS always you need to maintain LOS. How you do it it is entirely up to you and your common sense!
2017-12-15
Use props
asunaro_rocks
lvl.4
Flight distance : 714977 ft
Hong Kong

I just bought an ipad mini 4 last week and I can tell it works much better than a smartphone.
Size does matter, at least in this case.

And I mainly look at the screen (except taking off and landing) as I usually fly my drone over 6000 feet away.
I  like flying to the open sea so I think it's not that dangerous and there is no law to maintain LOS in Hong Kong.
2017-12-15
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Both I use an iPad mini.
2017-12-15
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, just for the mobile device that you refer to, iPad mini 4 can fully support running DJI GO 4, no worries.
For my personal experience, I would also look on both, and I will also need to look into the mobile device so I would know which angle will be a great one.
2017-12-16
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

Depends on where you are flying, constantly check both is best.
2017-12-16
Use props
Anthony566
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2488944 ft
United Kingdom

Always both ......  it will become more natural the more you fly.  
2017-12-16
Use props
fanse010d52c
New

United States

Thanks to all!
2017-12-16
Use props
Kevin_d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4219 ft
United States

I watch both. My screen is a normal-sized Android. One of the things I notice (or don't notice) is the details I missed while flying. When I get back to the computer and watch on the screen I see all sorts of interesting stuff I missed while flying. Stuff I would have liked to have concentrated on. So some day I think I would like to put a bigger screen on just for that purpose.

This brings up a nagging question for me... I have an MPP that I think has something like a 4 KM range? Something like that. Yet I keep hearing I should never let the drone get out of sight. I watch videos here and on YT and I see drones flying all around the environment obviously out of sight of the operator. I can't tell if this is some federal (US) regulation, advice from experience to a new user, or just a case of having a 250 MPH car in a 65 MPH country. What good is 4 KM if you're not supposed to fly past a couple hundred yards (57 year old eyes).

It's like I got into this hobby or activity only to find out that I might be breaking a law if my drone flies out of sight. If I can only fly as far as I can see then the only advantage a drone has over a phone's camera is angle.

Kev
2017-12-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules