Waypoints for Inspire 2 - Where are they?
4357 16 2017-12-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RobAlbania
lvl.4
Albania

@DJI@

Please could a DJI representative explain how to film using GPS waypoint tours with the Inspire 2?
I have looked everywhere, but cannot find out how DJI enable the user to design and fly waypoint flights using my new I2 drone ...
Waypoint guided flight is an essential part of professional aerial video missions.

I read on other forums to use the "Simulator" in DJI Go App, but "Simulator" for the Inspire 2 is missing ...
The "Touch to Add Waypoint" function in the DJI Go App is permanently disabled and does not work.

I see that the Mavic and Phantom both have this option.  The Inspire 2 is sold for commercial use, yet this option is missing.  
Why is it missing for the I2?  Please explain how commercial use of I2 is possible without waypoint guided flight?

Thanks,
Rob

2017-12-15
Use props
RobAlbania
lvl.4
Albania

I refer to the DJI Website advertisement for Inspire 2:

"In addition to Spotlight Pro, a range of other intelligent flight and shooting modes are available. Obstacle avoidance is optimized when using Point of Interest* and Waypoint* modes, making complex shots simple and repeatable. Also available are QuickSpin, TapFly and ActiveTrack, to simplify challenging shots.   *Coming soon."

Users might want to argue about this.  The Inspire 2 was launched for sale on 18th November 2016.  More than 12 months time has passed.  It might be a reasonable expectation that a key capability advertised as "soon" would be available within such a timescale.

So, DJI, please provide dates when "Point of Interest" and "Waypoint" mode will be available?
2017-12-15
Use props
Altitude Drones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1488520 ft
United Kingdom

Mate, let me tell you that me and others have been asking this question for very nearly an entire year.

If a client wanted there drone footage 'Soon' I would think maybe tomorrow, maybe next week at a push depending on the work load. If they had to wait year then they'd be pretty upset.

Every other recent drone drone DJI have released have POI as part of their I-flight modes including the I1. For some bizarre reason DJI would rather implement FW updates that don't activate this function but do cause countless issues for many professional pilots who use the AC to make a living from the equipment they have invested 10+K in.

I can fly a circle around a subject but that's not the point.

I wish that DJI would give I2 pilots our own App and a very simple FW that works. I'm sure most of us can edit and don't need all the consumer rubbish bogging down GO4?

Rather than coming up with new ideas to fix the problem and layering more complexity over the App and FW - Why not brake it back down into a simple form and work up from did work in the first place? Then when you have something that works, share it others instead of dishing out beta software that has the ability to ruin peoples reputations when working in a professional environment.

Personally I've been to afraid to update since the third FW because I use my drone to pay the bills and can't afford to deal with the many issues or been grounded. I do want to buy CS and Cedance but just can't risk it which is a real shame. My current setup with an ipad mini 3 works just fine and until DJI can prove that they can sort them selves out I'm sticking with that.

I don't know what the guys at DJI think to this. I know Mindy and a few others others do a great job at replying on the forum but generally the consensus is that they will pass the info onto the engineers.

Maybe the engineers should take a break and read this forum?

R

2017-12-15
Use props
doble
lvl.2
Flight distance : 511476 ft
Australia

My i2 has waypoints. It's under advanced flight modes, along with tapfly, tripod, etc.

Also, DJI have the groundstation app if you want to do aerial mapping.
2017-12-16
Use props
RobAlbania
lvl.4
Albania

I can understand how annoying and frustrating it's been especially for owners who have been waiting for this for over a year.  I've only had my I2 for 2 weeks and I would not recommend the I2 for professional use in making videos.  A better choice would have been the Phantom 4, for which the waypoint and POI software is available and working.
2017-12-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Altitude Drones Posted at 2017-12-15 15:53
Mate, let me tell you that me and others have been asking this question for very nearly an entire year.

If a client wanted there drone footage 'Soon' I would think maybe tomorrow, maybe next week at a push depending on the work load. If they had to wait year then they'd be pretty upset.

Hi R, I saw many posts about the POI request, believe me, I fully understand your request and frustration, and I have also transferred your request to our engineers many times, but the function is delayed for unknown reason. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused.
What I can do is to forward your request to developers again and again, I also hope this function will be released soon.
2017-12-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Hi Rob, there is no Simulator in Inspire 2 since the product was released, but we have Waypoint, may I know what Android mobile device you are using? I believe you are running 4.1.18 right?
But for POI, it has not been released, sorry that I cannot provide the estimated release date because I don't know either, your patience and understanding would be appreciated.
2017-12-17
Use props
fanse186c04e
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26170253 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

there are 1000 apps to do that
2017-12-18
Use props
RobAlbania
lvl.4
Albania

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-12-17 00:43
Hi Rob, there is no Simulator in Inspire 2 since the product was released, but we have Waypoint, may I know what Android mobile device you are using? I believe you are running 4.1.18 right?
But for POI, it has not been released, sorry that I cannot provide the estimated release date because I don't know either, your patience and understanding would be appreciated.

@DJI Mindy@

You say the Inspire 2 has Waypoint ... but without the Simulator, the Waypoints are useless ...

For other DJI drones e.g. the Mavic Pro, people use the Simulator to review the site at which they will film, and add Waypoints during a simulated flight, and save them.  Then on arrival at the site for filming, they go into the DJI Go App with the Waypoints saved in the Simulator session, and then fly the Mavic Pro and film using those Waypoints.  See instructions here:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-89268-1-1.html

So what does "Waypoints" functionality mean?   It means that users can plan the flights "offline" and then fly the planned route knowing that the GPS coordinates for each Waypoint are correctly positioned beforehand.

The "Waypoint" functions in the Inspire 2 are useless without a Simulator or Waypoint Design Tool.  According to DJI, the user has to fly the actual Inspire 2 to each Waypoint location, and store the Waypoint during flight using the DJI Go App.  This adds wasted time, difficulty and unnecessary battery usage to every filming session.  And what is the use case for this?  I don't think there is one.

A drone such as the Mavic Pro or Phantom 4 has all the software from DJI to do professional video photography, but not the Inspire 2.  It's a travesty and let-down for those of us who shelled out the extra money for the I2.

Thanks,
Rob
2017-12-18
Use props
RobAlbania
lvl.4
Albania

fanse186c04e Posted at 2017-12-18 07:07
there are 1000 apps to do that

Please could you provide URI links to say 5 of those apps that allow offline Waypoints to be added for filming purposes with the I2?  I'm aware of many apps that support mapping and inspection, but that is a different use case.

Thanks,
Rob
2017-12-18
Use props
Altitude Drones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1488520 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-12-17 00:37
Hi R, I saw many posts about the POI request, believe me, I fully understand your request and frustration, and I have also transferred your request to our engineers many times, but the function is delayed for unknown reason. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused.
What I can do is to forward your request to developers again and again, I also hope this function will be released soon.

Thanks mindy
2017-12-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

RobAlbania Posted at 2017-12-18 07:53
@DJI Mindy@

You say the Inspire 2 has Waypoint ... but without the Simulator, the Waypoints are useless ...

Hi Rob, really sorry that there is no Simulator with Inspire 2 and we apologize for the inconvenience caused.
Besides DJI Go 4 APP, we also have GS Pro, which is an iPad app designed to control or plan automatic flights for DJI aircraft.
You may check more details here: https://www.dji.com/ground-stati ... ndsite&from=nav
Thanks for understanding.
2017-12-19
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

RobAlbania Posted at 2017-12-18 08:06
Please could you provide URI links to say 5 of those apps that allow offline Waypoints to be added for filming purposes with the I2?  I'm aware of many apps that support mapping and inspection, but that is a different use case.

Thanks,

Rob

AutoFlight logic might be the one you are looking for, highly recommend (link 1)  or you may try DJI GS Pro  (Link 2)
Rich

Link 1

Link 2
2017-12-19
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Fwiw, I tried to use Hangar's Autopilot the other day and it refused to launch into its mission.  I used GO 4.1.8 to set up the camera initially, and then closed it and opened Autopilot to launch the mission, but the drone sat there and then it said "Disconnected."  Not able to fly it.  I don't know if GO breaks the USB connection from the RC so Autopilot refused to connect to the RC, or what was going on where it used to work.

Autopilot released a new version, but I haven't tried it yet as the entire system is just not working right with all these "Disconnected" screens on the iPads.
2017-12-19
Use props
Des_B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 129600 ft
United Kingdom

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-12-19 09:14
Fwiw, I tried to use Hangar's Autopilot the other day and it refused to launch into its mission.  I used GO 4.1.8 to set up the camera initially, and then closed it and opened Autopilot to launch the mission, but the drone sat there and then it said "Disconnected."  Not able to fly it.  I don't know if GO breaks the USB connection from the RC so Autopilot refused to connect to the RC, or what was going on where it used to work.

Autopilot released a new version, but I haven't tried it yet as the entire system is just not working right with all these "Disconnected" screens on the iPads.

Litchi works great for me with the Inspire 2 .

Waypoints and POI make filming a breeze for a single operator.
2017-12-19
Use props
Blackwood
lvl.4

United States

Des_B Posted at 2017-12-19 11:57
Litchi works great for me with the Inspire 2 .

Waypoints and POI make filming a breeze for a single operator.

Same here.
2017-12-19
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

We are still waiting for waypoint and Nav support for the Inspire 1!
3 years now!  And before you start, I am not talking about the completely useless setup in DJI Go where you have to fly the AC to mark waypoints in flight.
DJI promised a complete autonomous solution with map based flight planning and payload control - never was released.

So one year is still within DJI's working definition of 'Coming soon'.

2017-12-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules