Spain

agree or not?

2017-12-16
Use props
BumblerBee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

I feel you are wrong in that you are comparing apples and bananas. At 8:_20 you would not compare P4 to Inspire as Inspire has a different target group, yet you happily compare P4 to Mavic.
I challenge you to put that P4 into your backpack together with your DSLR, and some other equipment and go on a trip.

Mavic is excellent for the target group that it was designed for. As for the video quality, your video could have been better and more detail-rich if you tuned the default settings.
2017-12-16
Use props
Thudd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1624787 ft
United States

Agreed.  My problem is with the app.
2017-12-16
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Well, I don't say don't buy the Mavic, I only say be prepared to have to buy it multiple times before you finally get one that works . DJI has horrific problems with quality control/failure rate in their manufacturing and their firmware is almost always broken in some major way, but once you get over the hump of finally getting a good one, the mavic like the rest of their stuff is a really good copter.

I went through 2 right after the other, back and forth to BestBuy, before I gave up and exchanged for a P4P. I got lucky on the P4P in that the first one wasn't defective.

I'm about to try #3 on the mavic, though, since I still want one in addition to my P4P....
2017-12-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not (in a word).
I've owned the P4P and P3P and whilst the image quality is outstanding for the value it was impractical for my day-to-day needs. Too cumbersome for easy travel, limited portability by comparison, dated design still based on the original Phantom 1 from 2012 and as loud as a power drill - which made it a very intimidating to others and the drone caused complaints which meant restricting where I could fly it. I would rather have 'good' footage of amazing, varied scenery than amazing footage of the same fields...
The Mavic Pro was a refreshing change for me as modernised the whole design of drones and now we have the Platinum edition which enhances flight times to being longer than the P4P and is so quiet that it is not just quieter than the P4P (and even the Spark) but totally silent from the ground at higher altitudes. This makes it far more relaxing to fly in far more varied areas and the image quality has noticably improved. I record 1080p @ 60p on my Platinum with little digital artefact and anti-aliasing has been improved too in addition to that orange type hue being removed - the colour profiles are more natural now on the Mavic Platinum.
The P4P is great as a cheap alternative to the Inspire 2 for those doing entry level commercial work but for the serious hobbyist the Mavic is the most commercially successful consumer drone ever made for good reason. To post a video advising viewers not to buy it is nonsensical and will probably do more harm than good to your YT channel.
2017-12-16
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I agree with the P4P drawbacks. For another thing it doesn't fly as well as the mavic pro, strangely enough. In sport mode at full speed, for example, it's very unstable in yaw. This is typical of multirotors in general when they're maxed out or near maxed out, but the Phantom is really bad at full blast. Nearly negatively stable at full speed, in fact. Just a touch of the rudder stick and around she goes . In GPS mode where it's slowed down, it's fine of course.

I didn't find this with my first 2 mavics, however. At full blast I still had good positive stability in yaw with it even in sport mode. And I did find that it tended not to bobble around in the hover like the Phantom does. It's only a little bit, but enough to be kind of annoying.

Then there's the noise and size issue. Also flying the P4P FPV with my DJI Goggles is a little cumbersome due to DJI breaking their firmware with the silly 30m restriction thing unless you login to Go 4 first. I hate having to pull a bunch of plugs in and out just so I can fly FPV. The mavic uses the wireless ocusync connection so you can use the goggles and a tablet with it at the same time.....
2017-12-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

luciens Posted at 2017-12-16 09:46
I agree with the P4P drawbacks. For another thing it doesn't fly as well as the mavic pro, strangely enough. In sport mode at full speed, for example, it's very unstable in yaw. This is typical of multirotors in general when they're maxed out or near maxed out, but the Phantom is really bad at full blast. Nearly negatively stable at full speed, in fact. Just a touch of the rudder stick and around she goes . In GPS mode where it's slowed down, it's fine of course.

I didn't find this with my first 2 mavics, however. At full blast I still had good positive stability in yaw with it even in sport mode. And I did find that it tended not to bobble around in the hover like the Phantom does. It's only a little bit, but enough to be kind of annoying.

Yep - I agree - in my experience the Mavic is far more stable than the Phantom. I use to get really bad horizon tilt issues with my P4P though I received one from the first batch in November 2016 so this may have improved in recent months.
2017-12-16
Use props
HyLenz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1848182 ft
United States

Not. My Mavic has been great since 1-2017 with about 40 hours flight time. I've even crashed it twice and still no problems. Love it. I did not by P4 due to lack of portability. And i am not doing anything commercial. I would have an Inspire if commercial was needed. So IMO, the entire Phantom line should be retired and place the P4 cam setup on the Mavic.
2017-12-16
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mavic in my opinion is the best platform DJI ever made.
2017-12-16
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Yep, the Phantom is a pretty long in the tooth design by now, and not the most aerodynamic thing ever made. I have a first gen Phantom that I hacked up to fly FPV and it did the same thing. So it's not the technology and the camera is superb. It's just the big bulbous body, I think.

Don't get me wrong I love my P4P and am keeping it. But for portability etc., I'm going to do try #3 on a mavic pro today.... fingers crossed it's a good one....
2017-12-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

luciens Posted at 2017-12-16 10:02
Yep, the Phantom is a pretty long in the tooth design by now, and not the most aerodynamic thing ever made. I have a first gen Phantom that I hacked up to fly FPV and it did the same thing. So it's not the technology and the camera is superb. It's just the big bulbous body, I think.

Don't get me wrong I love my P4P and am keeping it. But for portability etc., I'm going to do try #3 on a mavic pro today.... fingers crossed it's a good one....

I agree that quality control needs to improve - I went through 3 Mavic's (including 2 Alpine White models via Apple) and returned them all - from bulging batteries to over heating...
I was going to give up on the Mavic despite all of the positives I mentioned but decided to pull the trigger on the Platinum... Not a single glitch! Not one! The most flawless drone I've ever owned - period!
I do miss that image quality on the P4P but that is frankly all I do miss from owning it. I'll always have a Mavic in my bag now. Good luck on the 3rd one but if your budget can stretch a bit further I'd recommend the Platinum. It's a definite upgrade.  
2017-12-16
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not...disagree
2017-12-16
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

A

Not.  I find although the quality of the video is subpar, it's easier to set a Mavic up for a tricky shot.  The Phantom, although a fantastic camera, is simply to large to do anything interesting with.  Opinions will always vary though.  As a sidenote; I find it humorous that you posted this in the Mavic section.  I feel most of the answers will naturally sway one way, aside from those who own multiple drones.
2017-12-16
Use props
Jffoto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 709 ft
Sweden

Ok, what should i buy then? When im travel with my dslr with other stuff? a Phantom? how do i get it into the backpack? And  the video is great for what i do. Funniest video ever. And like
others said, compare P4 with the Inspire then? why buy the Panthom when you can have the Inspire?
2017-12-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Even though I totally agree with you on the image 'quality' part.
The mobility section was above on my checklist, since I know I don't have space for a Phantom sized package in my trunk when we are on holiday.
So I did choose for the MP to start.
2017-12-16
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Jffoto Posted at 2017-12-16 11:05
Ok, what should i buy then? When im travel with my dslr with other stuff? a Phantom? how do i get it into the backpack? And  the video is great for what i do. Funniest video ever. And like
others said, compare P4 with the Inspire then? why buy the Panthom when you can have the Inspire?

Well the Inspire has its own problems that the Phantom doesn't. Dodgy design and construction primarily - props that don't fit tightly on the motors, wobbling/moving booms due to slop in the linkage for raising them, etc.  The loose props are a very severe safety hazard so I wouldn't use an Inspire 2 for anything other than recreational flying many miles away from public areas and other people.

So, It's significantly more poorly designed and constructed than the Phantom for more than twice the cost.

The slight downgrade in camera on the P4P is more than compensated for by the better design of the aircraft itself overall......
2017-12-16
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

My P4 is doing nothing but gathering dust, it doesn't fly more stable and doesn't give any extra flight time per pack than the Mavic; but yet it's so embarrassingly loud which makes it impossible to use without annoying the people around. Most importantly it's so bulky and inconvenient to travel with so I've always ended up not taking it with me. The camera might be a whole lot better than the Mavic's but for a consumer level drone the Mavic's camera is more than good enough. Talking about the radio range, the Mavic eats the P4 alive, even with the antennas still folded...
2017-12-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

While I fully agree with you Alex regarding Mavic Camera it’s pretty mush, and apart from 4K and some colour profiles it’s basically the same as spark but I believe spark can put out better sharper footage.

My problem is this, you set yourself up as someone who knows a bit about drones, you have done many reviews and yet it has taken you 12 months to realize the problems and remember you are setting yourself up as some kind of professional reviewer you’ve had the Mavic for 1 year and done many reviews to date.

So for me this puts your reviewing under question, if you are reviewing to give others benefit of your experience then you are 12 months to late. If you want to be taken serious as someone who can review drones etc then taking twelve months to come up with what you have is more a reflection on you as a reviewer than the Mavic as a video/drone platform.
2017-12-16
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mavic is the supreme leader !
2017-12-16
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

If the Mavic's image sensor were as good as the image sensor of the Phantom 4 Pro, why would anyone still buy the more expensive Phantom 4 Pro?
If you seek superb image quality, why don't you buy a powerful drone, attach a Nikon D5 DSLR to it and shoot images in outstanding image quality?

Also, I don't understand how you manage to empty your phone's battery after 5 Mavic batteries?
I use a Samsung Galaxy S8 on my Mavic's RC, but after 5 Mavic batteries, my phone's battery capacity has decreased by roughly 10-15%.
And yes, the RC does recharge my phone very slowly.

Which phone are you using?
2017-12-16
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-12-16 12:43
Mavic is the supreme leader !

And be the Force with him all the way...
2017-12-16
Use props
HomePoint
lvl.4
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I watched the video up to 2.26mins and you basically say that buying a Mavic is the thing to do.  I didn't watch anymore as why should I, you have stated that when it was launched against its only competitor (GoPro) that it won hands down.  Are there more competitors now that are so portable with 4k?
2017-12-16
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Same here marsan my s8+ does not die like this. I think its the iphones that dies super fast especially in the cold
2017-12-16
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Good to see most people who defend the Mavic here also have a Phantom, enough said.
2017-12-16
Use props
RL_XXI
lvl.3
Flight distance : 456 ft
United States

Too late now, I sure hope I have a different experience.
2017-12-16
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-12-16 09:53
Mavic in my opinion is the best platform DJI ever made.

I totally agree. Hands down
2017-12-16
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I have an iPhone 7 and it dies pretty quick on the mavic. I haven't kept track of it but 5 packs and it's dead probably isn't too far off. my ipad mini isn't much better.
2017-12-16
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2017-12-16 10:07
I agree that quality control needs to improve - I went through 3 Mavic's (including 2 Alpine White models via Apple) and returned them all - from bulging batteries to over heating...
I was going to give up on the Mavic despite all of the positives I mentioned but decided to pull the trigger on the Platinum... Not a single glitch! Not one! The most flawless drone I've ever owned - period!
I do miss that image quality on the P4P but that is frankly all I do miss from owning it. I'll always have a Mavic in my bag now. Good luck on the 3rd one but if your budget can stretch a bit further I'd recommend the Platinum. It's a definite upgrade.

Yeah I can't buy the Platinum model locally is the problem. With DOA failure rate  as high as DJI's is, I need to buy it locally so I can take it back, and back and back and... until I finally get a good one. That's a pretty big hassle if I buy online, so I just go through BestBuy.

I agree the platinum is a nice upgrade though. Sure wish they were around in the local stores....
2017-12-16
Use props
travelrikk
First Officer
Flight distance : 21877946 ft
  • >>>
Malta

Disagree before even watching, Best portable drone made to date.
2017-12-16
Use props
Anthony566
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2488944 ft
United Kingdom

Yes you can charge the RC while flying ...........  
2017-12-16
Use props
Lamplighter55
lvl.4
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

As a relative noob - I started with a Spark via ebay, then the Platinum was announced and I immediately ordered as I needed full 3 axis gimbal stability. After waiting an age (supply issues due to high demand) my MMP arrived a couple of weeks ago and have been mainly practicing my flying and general controls (reversing orientation etc.) As far as the negatives with my particular unit all is fine (so far!) - sure its not got a comparable camera to the P4s but then the MPP is one nifty and quiet drone and that suits me fine. A beautiful piece of engineering.
2017-12-16
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Interesting that the RC charges the phone - I didn't notice that... maybe the charge rate is just too slow due to the smaller battery in the RC than in the RC for the P4P, say....
2017-12-16
Use props
Anthony566
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2488944 ft
United Kingdom

Anthony566 Posted at 2017-12-16 17:06
Yes you can charge the RC while flying ...........

Conect  your device to the RC via the lower USB port and once you are conected to the Mavic plug a power block into the RC and it will charge while you fly.
2017-12-16
Use props
travelrikk
First Officer
Flight distance : 21877946 ft
  • >>>
Malta

Still disagree after watching the video. You just cannot compare the mavic with the phantom. It's like comparing the phantom with the inspire. It's pretty obvious that the bigger the sensor, the better the image quality in most cases.

I've done a lot of paid work with the mavic too ,from weddings to adverts to low lights fireworks/feasts shots, and I can say the quality is good enough for your average consumer. Of course it's not good enough for professional shots but that's why there is the phantom and even the inspire. It's like your asking the quality of a RED camera into the body a point and shoot.

I never even looked at the karma, it was a huge fail and hence why most units were called back. At the moment DJI are the industry leaders and there simply isn't enough competition (at least not yet). I'm super excited to see what 2018 holds, waiting for either a mavic with a better camera or a new phantom. I would consider an inspire too but it's kind of hard to travel with an inspire.
2017-12-16
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Each one of DJI's drones have pretty much a specific purpose, I have had the P3P for almost 2 years now and it is my go to drone for everyday photo/video taking, I use the Mavic as advertised "The Go Anywhere" drone, which it does, it is always with me in the car should I need a drone for whatever reason, also use it for more populated areas as it is much quieter than both the P3P & P4P, and finally the P4P for special shooting requirements such as wedding or any event or function that I have contracted with the client and have permission to operate as it's noise level is very noticeable . I have had the P4P for 8 months now and probably only have 6 or 7 charges on 3 batteries. Love them all for what they do, but if I could choose only one as an entry level as of today it would be the MP Platinum due sophistication and cost point. I will get one eventually but not before I wear the arms of the MP to short little nubs.

As they say there is an ass for every seat, whether it be a 1971 Pinto (P3P), a BMW Z4 (Mavic), or a Audi R8 (P4/P4P)
2017-12-16
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2017-12-16 17:33
Each one of DJI's drones have pretty much a specific purpose, I have had the P3P for almost 2 years now and it is my go to drone for everyday photo/video taking, I use the Mavic as advertised "The Go Anywhere" drone, which it does, it is always with me in the car should I need a drone for whatever reason, also use it for more populated areas as it is much quieter than both the P3P & P4P, and finally the P4P for special shooting requirements such as wedding or any event or function that I have contracted with the client and have permission to operate as it's noise level is very noticeable . I have had the P4P for 8 months now and probably only have 6 or 7 charges on 3 batteries. Love them all for what they do, but if I could choose only one as an entry level as of today it would be the MP Platinum due sophistication and cost point. I will get one eventually but not before I wear the arms of the MP to short little nubs.

As they say there is an ass for every seat, whether it be a 1971 Pinto (P3P), a BMW Z4 (Mavic), or a Audi R8 (P4/P4P)

A YouTuber posting "Don't buy the Mavic EVER" in a forum populated mostly by people who like the Mavic can only be done for one reason.

Alex, I liked your review of DJI's goggles but could do without the click bait thread.
2017-12-16
Use props
RobDownUnder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103609 ft
Australia

Just love my Mavic. I bought one - worked first up and through all upgrades without a hitch. I travel and bought mine for landscape photography where my arms are not long enough or my feet get too wet wading off a rocky foreshore. Wonderful machine!
There have been many posts about DJI Go4 and using it on Android devices. I used a Samsung S8 when all the IOS crowd said "Failure". Not so. Upgrades have all worked well, even before S8 was on the Approved list.
I Give DJI thumbs up for continued development of the ap, particularly the recent upgrades with the Pano mode.
2017-12-16
Use props
fans2e9aa3da
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7159 ft
United States

I have had my Mavic for 11 months and I think I will sell it. It had been in for warranty work 3 times because of a faulty gimbal. My phantom 3 pro just worked. Don’t know if I will try my luck with the platinum of go back to a phantom.
2017-12-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

luciens Posted at 2017-12-16 16:45
Yeah I can't buy the Platinum model locally is the problem. With DOA failure rate  as high as DJI's is, I need to buy it locally so I can take it back, and back and back and... until I finally get a good one. That's a pretty big hassle if I buy online, so I just go through BestBuy.

I agree the platinum is a nice upgrade though. Sure wish they were around in the local stores....

Yeah, I've never bought any drone on line again since my first P4P was a DOA and took 4 weeks to be replaced - went without a drone over the whole of Christmas last year. The replacement was brand new and perfect but frustrating at the time was an understatement - especially as my wife just gave birth to our first son so time to get it sorted out was limited to say the least.
I've bought all my drones in person since and Apple do 14 day no questions asked refund policies here in the UK but never thought I'd have to return two defective Mavic's from them including a recently made Alpine White... I returned the third Mavic (another Alpine White) as the Platinum became available from Jessops (an official DJI reseller in London) so bought it there as the previous DOA put me off the Alpine and I liked the idea of a quieter drone.
I am impressed with the Platinum - flown it 9 times now in 2 weeks and no issues at all (other than app crashes but that was due to IOS on my iPhone 7+ and not the drone thankfully).
Having to cross your fingers when you unbox a drone you just paid £1,199 for in fear of it not working or having something missing is not how it should be. People wait months for these products to be delivered - every single one should be perfect and RTF from day 1.
2017-12-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-16 12:20
While I fully agree with you Alex regarding Mavic Camera it’s pretty mush, and apart from 4K and some colour profiles it’s basically the same as spark but I believe spark can put out better sharper footage.

My problem is this, you set yourself up as someone who knows a bit about drones, you have done many reviews and yet it has taken you 12 months to realize the problems and remember you are setting yourself up as some kind of professional reviewer you’ve had the Mavic for 1 year and done many reviews to date.

Great points (though the image quality on the Platinum edition has definitely improved). I personally think he's done it to open up a big debate in order for people to comment and view the video in an attempt to increase his numbers. Whilst he will generate a lot of activity from the vid he has effectively shot himself in the foot as he now comes across as an inept reviewer and has lost all credibility IMO - this is basically click bait. I've unsubscribed which is a shame as some of his material was actually quite good but it doesn't take a year to gauge if a product is good or not LOL
Billy Kyle did something similar and put down the Mavic in comparison to the P4P - he got thousands of dislikes and lost a huge number of subscribers. He 'changed his mind' in one of his more recent videos and now loves the Mavic. I suspect Assenmache will do the same.
2017-12-16
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules