Ideas for features to make flying easier for beginners
2971 13 2014-10-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
len
lvl.1

United States

I'm a newcomer to RC flying of any kind, so be gentle with me.

I'm having trouble training my brain to use the copter-centered controls. I probably have a hand-eye coordination deficit because I didn't play video games as a kid, but I want "right" to mean "to my right", not "to the right of the camera-lens-forward direction". When I spin it 1/4 or 1/2 of a turn, I get all confused. Hell, I have a hard time knowing which way the thing is pointing when it's high up or far away.  I suppose I could fly by looking at the radar display, but that makes it hard to avoid obstacles or get to a destination. I don't want to add the complication of FPV goggles just yet.

I can think of three new navigation modes that might be interesting for people like me:

1. Fixed x-y coordinates: Make forward/back/left/right be relative to the original take-off orientation of the copter, and not be changed by rotation in flight. Mathematically that's just a rotational transformation of the x-y stick position by the angle that is the current rotation relative to the starting rotation. The downside it that it's intuitive only if you keep facing in the direction that the copter was facing on takeoff. But that's ok if you're flying mostly in front of you.

2. Rotating x-y coordinates: Make forward/back/left/right be relative to where I'm facing while looking at the copter, and similarly not be affected by rotation of the copter. That's a rotational transformation through the angle which is the difference between my direction and the copter's. I don't think the RC controller has a compass in it, but most smartphones do, so it could get my direction from that. This seems like the most natural flying mode.   (You could also deduce which direction I'm facing without a compass by assuming I'm still roughly at the starting point and looking at the copter, except that there's an ambiguity when it's directly overhead.)

3. Cylindrical coordinates: Make forward go away from me (standing at the copter's starting point) and backward go towards me. Left and right cause circling counterclockwise or clockwise without changing distance from me.  It's a little less intuitive and requires me to stay put, but it doesn't require the system to know which way I'm facing. This is similar to "smart mode" in the Blade 350 QX2 quadcopter.

I think all of these can be done with just firmware changes, and the S1 or S2 switch can be used to change modes. I know some of these ideas are already in NAZA mode with IOC (see "course lock", for example), but there are all sorts of warnings that it is for experts only. I'm looking for something intuitively easy for newbies to use!

I'm a software engineer, so if the code were open source I might try experimenting myself. But since it's not, we can only encourage DJI to think creatively about adding new ways to fly.

2014-10-23
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

If you've flown a few flights in Phantom Mode, go on and switch to NazaM Mode and turn on IOC.
You might not be an expert, but you're no novice...
The new navigation modes you want are essentially there in IOC.
And you can always turn CL and HL off.
But I bet you will use it easily.
Don't be afraid of it.

When I hand my P1 Tx to a newcomer, I put it in CL.
I then explain the front/back/left right grid to the new pilot.
I also show him/her how yawing the airframe has no effect on the grid.
I tell them up is safe, down is not.
Letting the spring centered left stick go stops up/down
I tell them to keep the airframe in front of them.
I put the airframe up about 50' in the air and let them go...
Try it!

Then after a few flights painting the sky, I let them take off.
Then I show them how to gently land.
A Phantom Pilot is born!

2014-10-23
Use props
rizal
lvl.1

Indonesia

This idea for next version, may have indoor mode with ultrasonic technology to measurement surrounding position of phantom, replacing gps function to make phantom hovering stable and steady. Also can be use for outdoor function to avoid obstacle while flying safely
2014-10-23
Use props
insitb
lvl.3

Singapore

Gilbert, CL is a great way to get newbies to overcome their trepidation, agreed. But it comes at a price. How so? Well, once you're conditioned to CL-flying, it's ever so hard to make the switch to non-supported controls, which you will need to go to sooner or later, since this is what you got the Phantom for in the first place, i.e.shooting awesome pics and video.

You won't be able to shoot what you want when you want it when CL determines which way your camera is facing, rather than you, the pilot.

OP, the best advice I can give you is what I was told when I started out. Get yourself a little $80 trainer quad and knock yourself out on it. You'll be able to bang it every which way and it won't cost you a new gimbal each time. In fact, these little ones (like the UDI or Hubsan) are practically indestructible.

Take a month flying your trainer, both nose-out and nose-in. You can even fly them indoors, no worries. I reckon that at the end of that month, your confidence will be... well, what else, sky-high

CL is a great tool when you're working at a distance or in tight quarters, but I think it's best you don't condition your brain to flying with CL when you're starting out, because it makes it harder still to fly your quad ATTI or Manual-style, which you may one day have to.
2014-10-23
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
United States

@insitb
You have a good point about getting dependent on CL.
But the original poster was asking about newcomer flight modes that already are available, and I gave him his answer.
I would never suggest that a budding pilot always fly in CL.
I was merely saying it's a good way to give the untrained a taste of flying.

If someone at your flying field walks up and asks to try the Phantom, what do you do?
I try not to say no, but if it were not for CL, I'd probably have lost my P1 a year ago...
I've been able to introduce dozens of total newbies to multirotor flying thanks to CL!
FWIW, the reason I use CL instead of HL is that I fly at AMA fields by AMA guidelines.
With an established flight line, CL tends to encourage keeping the craft in front of you...

As for filming, I use CL a good bit for positioning.
The camera can be yawed (with the airframe) to any desired angle, as you fly w.r.t. the front/back/left/right grid...
2014-10-24
Use props
insitb
lvl.3

Singapore

Yup,  point taken.

Me, I try not to use CL, prefer to have regular flying become fully second nature. That way, next time I have to dodge that tree branch in a fraction of a second, I instinctively know how.

Horses for courses eh.
2014-10-24
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
United States

insitb@singnet. Posted at 2014-10-24 20:22
Yup,  point taken.

Me, I try not to use CL, prefer to have regular flying become fully second natur ...

Touche, buddy!
If we all flew the same way...
How dull would that be?
Fly Safe!
2014-10-24
Use props
2wacky
New

United States

As a brand spanking new newbie, I would like to see DJI produce a flight simulator using the Phantom 2 control connected to a computer by wifi, or Bluetooth, or even hardline with USB.  Then a newbie could practice with the same control he will be using in the real world but flying an imaginary Phantom.  In a perfect world such a program could be included for free with the purchase of a new Phantom and for sale to the rest of the world.  I'd be willing to pay for such a simulator.  Any suggestions for an existing simulator that is free or for purchase as a download?
Best regards,
Larry
2014-10-24
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
United States

2wacky@q.com Posted at 2014-10-24 21:19
As a brand spanking new newbie, I would like to see DJI produce a flight simulator using the Phantom ...

It's a good thought...
But look at how many pilots have learned to fly the DJI product without the benefit of a simulator.
2014-10-24
Use props
Dragonrider
lvl.2

United States

T J Gilbert Posted at 2014-10-24 21:45
It's a good thought...
But look at how many pilots have learned to fly the DJI product without the ...

Yes, but think of how many more flyers could be made with something like this available to all.......
2014-10-24
Use props
rizal
lvl.1

Indonesia

2wacky@q.com Posted at 2014-10-24 21:19
As a brand spanking new newbie, I would like to see DJI produce a flight simulator using the Phantom ...

i heard DJI will announce new Remote Control with can connect to PC simulator, RC also powered by lipo battery, and other interesting is ... have camera tilt control on left corner of RC.
2014-10-25
Use props
len
lvl.1

United States

I've now implemented a mod that provides a better flying mode.
See http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2287.
-- Len
2014-11-22
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

This is a good way for newbies to protect the props and help orientation.
DSC_3460a.jpg
2014-11-22
Use props
away-point
lvl.3

United States

Agree with others.  In the long run, flying by keeping "your head in the cockpit" is the path to most capable pilot.  

One thing I find handy is to have one arm uniquely colored.  In my case, I have the right front arm marked with red.  This comes in handy in those moments in tight quarters where there is any hint of orientation confusion.  Up/Right on the stick will always move the way that red arm is pointed.  It's more instantaneously intuitive to me, than just the typical front and back markings.  

As for those flight modes you suggest, as mentioned above, they are almost already there.  Course Lock is simple enough to keep your head around, and Home Lock does as you suggest if you keep the "home point" at your back.
2014-11-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules