Still no OTG Support
1234Next >
11539 126 2017-12-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mildman
lvl.4

United Kingdom

As the previous threads on this subject have been successfully stifled and turned into a debate between forum members, I want to start a thread solely about getting this resolved once and for all.

DJI, is OTG support coming for the Spark or not?   It is a simple question....yes, or no?

Do not respond to this with any of the following...
  • OTG is not supported currently (We know)
  • Our engineers are working on it (Working on removing it through firmware updates permamantly or working on providing it properly?)

'Yes' or 'No' please?  'Yes' means I have a nice little Spark, 'No' means it's completely worthless to me.

Looking forward to your response.

2017-12-18
Use props
fansa6d9d300
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I also welcome the answer to this as I have a spark sitting under the tree and it will be going back to the store if no otg.
2017-12-18
Use props
uncino78
lvl.2
Flight distance : 535 ft
Italy

fansa6d9d300 Posted at 2017-12-18 03:07
I also welcome the answer to this as I have a spark sitting under the tree and it will be going back to the store if no otg.

very well!!!!!
2017-12-18
Use props
lsufan861
lvl.2
United States

I'm a newbie, pease explain the benefit of using the OTG.  I have purchased one and would like to use, if it causes no issues.  Thank you in advance.
2017-12-18
Use props
Mildman
lvl.4

United Kingdom

lsufan861 Posted at 2017-12-18 11:13
I'm a newbie, pease explain the benefit of using the OTG.  I have purchased one and would like to use, if it causes no issues.  Thank you in advance.

OTG provides a strong, stable signal between the RC and your Phone; on Android devices, some users experience poor video connection, even at short range...the OTG cable resolves that (for me and many others).

OTG was never officially supported for the Spark but previous app versions did allow it to work.

The latest app seems to have blocked its use though and now IOS users are experiencing OTG problems with the latest IOS app.

DJI are refusing to make any official comment on it and I pesonally think they deliberately removing useful functionality from their lower end product (the Spark)
All the evidence points to this but I really hope I am wrong.
2017-12-18
Use props
lsufan861
lvl.2
United States

Mildman Posted at 2017-12-18 11:25
OTG provides a strong, stable signal between the RC and your Phone; on Android devices, some users experience poor video connection, even at short range...the OTG cable resolves that (for me and many others).

OTG was never officially supported for the Spark but previous app versions did allow it to work.

I flew this weekend and experienced issues just by uning wifi.  I was losing the image and connectivity, which caused me great concern of a fly away.  It should also concern DJI, of poor connectivity.  I was flying withthe latest firmware and the oldest iOS version app.  I see the latest update is now available for download, and  hope that will help with this issue.  I ahve seen that the update had nothing about wifi connection issues mentioned in the update.  I was well within range and was flying with eyes on the drone, so not far away.
2017-12-18
Use props
Mildman
lvl.4

United Kingdom

lsufan861 Posted at 2017-12-18 12:33
I flew this weekend and experienced issues just by uning wifi.  I was losing the image and connectivity, which caused me great concern of a fly away.  It should also concern DJI, of poor connectivity.  I was flying withthe latest firmware and the oldest iOS version app.  I see the latest update is now available for download, and  hope that will help with this issue.  I ahve seen that the update had nothing about wifi connection issues mentioned in the update.  I was well within range and was flying with eyes on the drone, so not far away.

If you upgrade to the latest app, you will not be able to use an OTG cable
2017-12-18
Use props
Neeon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 453701 ft
Fiji

I doubt that DJI would answer in a yes or no format to your question, they seem to be shying away from this issue for a long time now. if they would just listen to us then this issue would be resolved a long time ago.
2017-12-18
Use props
lsufan861
lvl.2
United States

I have the latest firmware and app.  I just connected my OTG and got a message saying this device might not be supported.  This is what my display look like, am I missing anything?  

Thank you.
2017-12-18
Use props
lsufan861
lvl.2
United States

Sorry this is what it looks like.
2017-12-18
Use props
Mildman
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Neeon Posted at 2017-12-18 16:15
I doubt that DJI would answer in a yes or no format to your question, they seem to be shying away from this issue for a long time now. if they would just listen to us then this issue would be resolved a long time ago.

Yes, I agree with you.  I think I'm just trying to get any reaction, other than the standard customer service stock answers that they are rolling out that some folks are taking as promises

With OTG and the simple (even for RC/tech novices) FCC hack doing the rounds, people have realised the the Spark is quite a capable and stable and  drone...those not bothered with video options won't feel the need to upgrade.
2017-12-19
Use props
xfirf_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 194911 ft
Germany

I cant figure out any technological issue that could be the cause for this ongoing-issue regarding the OTG-Connection with Spark and the remote.
I think its only "marketing related" as the developers do not get the time and ressources to fix it because they have to implement new features or even work on new products.
And bringing out new products gets more focus than improving "old ones". :-(
2017-12-19
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

lsufan861 Posted at 2017-12-18 17:53
Sorry this is what it looks like.[view_image]

That is the looks of using the OTG cable on android with the Go4 App v.4.1.18
Am I wrong?
If not, downgrade the go4 App to 4.1.15
2017-12-19
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

xfirf_ Posted at 2017-12-19 03:35
I cant figure out any technological issue that could be the cause for this ongoing-issue regarding the OTG-Connection with Spark and the remote.
I think its only "marketing related" as the developers do not get the time and ressources to fix it because they have to implement new features or even work on new products.
And bringing out new products gets more focus than improving "old ones". :-(

Spark is still a 'seller', methinks.
But more and more buyers knew beforehand  that otg is usable and an advantage.
What is DJI expecting if more and more people knowing about the shut down otg process?

And still, I cant understand how a manufacturer is pushing people to use a wifi connection for a 5-10cm distance, but telling people, to shut off all other wifi devices around you.
Bluetooth is wifi too, DJI!
And not always can people fly with NOONE around their position.
So shuting down all bluetooth devices is kind of impossible in public areas!
2017-12-19
Use props
dansmar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 422149 ft
United States

Some iOS users are reporting loss of some otg function with the latest dji software release for that platform

iOS - dji go 4.1.20 (4.1.18 worked on iOS with otg)
2017-12-19
Use props
lsufan861
lvl.2
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-12-19 04:03
That is the looks of using the OTG cable on android with the Go4 App v.4.1.18
Am I wrong?
If not, downgrade the go4 App to 4.1.15

That is with an iPhone 7 Plus.  In that display I'm connected to the OTG, is there anything missing in the display?
2017-12-19
Use props
Mildman
lvl.4

United Kingdom

dansmar Posted at 2017-12-19 05:18
Some iOS users are reporting loss of some otg function with the latest dji software release for that platform

iOS - dji go 4.1.20 (4.1.18 worked on iOS with otg)

Yep, a number of threads raised already.  I think we can safely say goodbye to a spark flying with latest app/latest firmware with an OTG cable.  :-(

2017-12-19
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

lsufan861 Posted at 2017-12-19 05:58
That is with an iPhone 7 Plus.  In that display I'm connected to the OTG, is there anything missing in the display?

That is bad!
Are you on v. 4.1.20?
I did read somewhere here, that now iOS is cursed too, for OTG
So wifi maybe your only solution.
But:
Someone experienced, if the video  and the app gets disconnected often and in close distance, change from auto to manual wifi channel mode

Looks more and more, that DJI is not trying to bring back, but to shut it down completely for the Spark.
Isn't it?
2017-12-19
Use props
Chazzw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 665213 ft
United Kingdom

I have an OTG cable but haven't used it yet iPhone X) as wireless seems to be behaving for me. I got the cable after seeing a number of threads & YouTube videos explaining the benefits but to be honest I tend not to fly it that far away from me anyway so as of yet I haven't had any issues
2017-12-19
Use props
jksphoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 114121 ft
Sweden

Mildman Posted at 2017-12-19 06:03
Yep, a number of threads raised already.  I think we can safely say goodbye to a spark flying with latest app/latest firmware with an OTG cable.  :-(

Where about's are you in the UK ?
Been flying mine for the last few month's without the cable and had no issues. I am in the UK also, despite my location saying Sweden on my work PC.

Is it you don't want to risk trying with out the cable. I used to use it, but once I plucked up the courage to use wifi, its been well behave.

Thanks
2017-12-19
Use props
cannabenoid
lvl.2
Flight distance : 97274 ft
United States

So, I flew my Spark yesterday at the dog park with an iPad mini 2, an OTG cable and the RC. I did not have any issues (other than the normal video feed choppiness when I got too far away).
I'm seeing a message on the App saying an update (01.00.0800) is available...should I make the update? I'm also using DJI Go 4 app v4.1.18, so don't upgrade to v4.1.2 if I want to keep using OTG?
2017-12-19
Use props
Mildman
lvl.4

United Kingdom

jksphoto Posted at 2017-12-19 08:28
Been flying mine for the last few month's without the cable and had no issues. I am in the UK also, despite my location saying Sweden on my work PC.

Thanks for your feedback....I'm in South Wales.

On Android it's just not flyable at all without OTG...on WiFi, 50 metres before video loss, it's such a shame....plug in the OTG and boom, super stable.

I have an iPad as well and that is a lot better, but taking a 10" iPad out, in my mind, defeats the object of a portable drone.
I'm not going to touch any new Apps until there is consensus that DJI have a grip of these issues.

Are you on android or IOS?
2017-12-19
Use props
Equus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8274 ft
Mexico

but what about the first question?

DJI , HIDING?
what happen?
you will support or not the OTG, i think we need to FLOOD the telephone lines and forum asking for an anwer ,

As the previous threads on this subject have been successfully stifled and turned into a debate between forum members, I want to start a thread solely about getting this resolved once and for all.

DJI, is OTG support coming for the Spark or not?   It is a simple question....yes, or no?

Do not respond to this with any of the following...

OTG is not supported currently (We know)
    Our engineers are working on it (Working on removing it through firmware updates permamantly or working on providing it properly?)

'Yes' or 'No' please?  'Yes' means I have a nice little Spark, 'No' means it's completely worthless to me.

Looking forward to your response.
2017-12-19
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Looking on the iOS 4.1.20 OTG issue, I am really not convinced, that DJI is trying to bring it back.
To me it looks more about a try, to shut it down. Constantly!
We'll see more as soon the 4.1.22 hits android users
2017-12-19
Use props
Elettrone78
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2840512 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Mildman Posted at 2017-12-19 08:35

On Android it's just not flyable at all without OTG...on WiFi, 50 metres before video loss, it's such a shame....plug in the OTG and boom, super stable.

I can fly my spark up to 220m with a crystalsky(thus android) before losing signal.
It's not much, but it is not as bad as you say.
In the end ìwe all wish for more range and options and on the CrystalSky mount store page there is a little line saying that OTG fucntion will be added to the Spark to have the mount working(i use wifi).I live in EU by the way.
2017-12-19
Use props
tvon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43373 ft
United States

My guess would be DJI wants to figure out a way to monetize the OTG cable.   Buying a $3 amazon cable doesnt help DJI's bottom line and creates support issues (what kind of cord are you using? etc, etc)  I'll bet the development of a DJI branded OTG cable is on the way that will work with new versions of the app.
2017-12-19
Use props
jksphoto
First Officer
United Kingdom

Mildman Posted at 2017-12-19 08:35

Ah ok, thats annoying, bit too far to arrange a meet up. I'm on iOS using a 6s. Its weird, felt really uncomfortable using the Spark without OTG to start off with, but slowly trusting it. Flying up to 100 m in the air now, been reliable so far. Can see why everyone is getting frustrated, but all the OTG bale is going to do is, improve connection between the remote and device. I've been trying to figure out how its even possible that the cable can improve the range of the Spark, but some seem to think it does.

Hope you get it sorted, as its a good product despite the issues that circle the forum.
2017-12-19
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

tvon Posted at 2017-12-19 11:13
My guess would be DJI wants to figure out a way to monetize the OTG cable.   Buying a $3 amazon cable doesnt help DJI's bottom line and creates support issues (what kind of cord are you using? etc, etc)  I'll bet the development of a DJI branded OTG cable is on the way that will work with new versions of the app.

Information sometimes helps. A DJI OTG cable has been available already before Spark had even been launched (I had bought it together with my Spark from the DJI webstore) and it works the same way as third party cables work. Meanwhile I prefer to use a third party cable because of the length I need. Please take at least the time to inform yourself before adding to totally unfounded speculations.
2017-12-19
Use props
Mara42
lvl.4
Flight distance : 245440 ft
Czechia

Right now Spark is useless without OTG in Europe. I have to use 5.8 GHz between Spark and RC, because when I switch to 2.4 GHz, my phone doesn't see any WiFi (illegal frequency in Czech Rep).

I was using it for one month in the USA and my experience was completely different. WiFi was working with no problems 300-400 m away, but here in the Czech Republic I'm getting bad video feed less than 40 m away from me (and yea, phone is in the airplane mode, no interference around, no bluetooth device near by).  I use OTG and I'm staying with older app, because when I'm using just WiFi, I feel like I will lost Spark in any moment.
2017-12-19
Use props
KurtVD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 365299 ft
Switzerland

A word about the difference between Android and iOS: I haven't upgraded to the latest versions yet, but up until the last "version-set" (4.1.18 and no alerts about updates), I was able to use an USB cable with no problems whatsoever on my iPhone 7 (still on iOS 10 though) - I did get the message "This accessory may not be supported", but after that I could just open DJI GO and was connected. However, there was virtually no difference at all, neither in the stability of the connection nor in the connection range, so I stopped using it - it was much easier to just squeeze the phone between the grips without having to pass the cable through the slot, if it's for the same result.

So, from what I see in these forums, this is mainly, or even solely, a concern for Android users. Or are there any iOS users here who get a better connection or range if they are connected by cable?

Concerning the OTG standard / protocol: OTG (on-the-go) is a specification for the USB standard, something like an "add-on", and I have read somewhere that Apple/iOS does NOT support USB-OTG. I'm not sure what this means, but I'm not using a proper OTG cable, but a simple lightning cable with a USB to micro USB adapter, and it doesn't seem to make a difference.
2017-12-20
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

jksphoto Posted at 2017-12-19 08:28
Been flying mine for the last few month's without the cable and had no issues. I am in the UK also, despite my location saying Sweden on my work PC.

' I am in the UK also, despite my location saying Sweden on my work PC. '

It is not your work PC, it is your setting in the DJI Go 4 app
Name

Or do I confuse that now? Not sure about, right now.

2017-12-20
Use props
guidoec
lvl.2
Flight distance : 27441 ft
Spain

KurtVD Posted at 2017-12-20 04:32
A word about the difference between Android and iOS: I haven't upgraded to the latest versions yet, but up until the last "version-set" (4.1.18 and no alerts about updates), I was able to use an USB cable with no problems whatsoever on my iPhone 7 (still on iOS 10 though) - I did get the message "This accessory may not be supported", but after that I could just open DJI GO and was connected. However, there was virtually no difference at all, neither in the stability of the connection nor in the connection range, so I stopped using it - it was much easier to just squeeze the phone between the grips without having to pass the cable through the slot, if it's for the same result.

So, from what I see in these forums, this is mainly, or even solely, a concern for Android users. Or are there any iOS users here who get a better connection or range if they are connected by cable?

I'm of those who feel safer with OTG. But I recently updated my spark and dji app (android) and obviously I am forced to use WIFI. But I did a previous test with the version that worked alright with OTG and the video was choppier than the actual spark last fw/dji go app last version combination. I must say that the flight was in a 5 meters range, it was just testing.

I still prefer that DJI supports OTG for spark in any device but WIFI seems to be improved.
2017-12-20
Use props
jksphoto
First Officer
United Kingdom

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-12-20 05:17
' I am in the UK also, despite my location saying Sweden on my work PC. '

It is not your work PC, it is your setting in the DJI Go 4 app

I mean the location on the forum, right now I'm at home, so it say's I'm in the UK :-)
2017-12-20
Use props
tvon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43373 ft
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-12-19 13:14
Information sometimes helps. A DJI OTG cable has been available already before Spark had even been launched (I had bought it together with my Spark from the DJI webstore) and it works the same way as third party cables work. Meanwhile I prefer to use a third party cable because of the length I need. Please take at least the time to inform yourself before adding to totally unfounded speculations.

Well I did say "my guess is".. Its not some insider info, just from my perspective and how they've handled the OTG questions..
2017-12-20
Use props
Jota Oliveira
New
Brazil

+1 here. Please bring this feature back. I've recently purchased an Spark and even didn't get the chance to use it with OTG cable.
2018-1-18
Use props
fans26dfd0af
New
Flight distance : 73166 ft
Brazil

Please enable the OTG feature, since it is not possible to live since the feature was removed. The video is experiencing delays that it did not have before using OTG.
2018-1-18
Use props
BobD
lvl.3
Germany

i saw a blog where the OTG was discussed with a DJI Engineer at the CES.  He said they are working on Spark OTG as the WiFi connection has not met with the success they expected.
2018-1-18
Use props
teknikal90
lvl.2
Flight distance : 106601 ft
Canada

BobD Posted at 2018-1-18 10:45
i saw a blog where the OTG was discussed with a DJI Engineer at the CES.  He said they are working on Spark OTG as the WiFi connection has not met with the success they expected.

can you provide a link?
2018-1-18
Use props
fansb67c8c9b
New

Brazil

please release cable OTG and FCC here in Brazil
2018-1-18
Use props
djiuser_CEMGgwh
New
Flight distance : 141552 ft
Brazil

There is no reason to DJI doesn’t release a org version! Otg is much better than WiFi! Every time when I tried WiFi I’ve had issues with dropping connection! Plz, release a new version with otg!
2018-1-19
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules