1234Next >
11551 126 2017-12-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Boedie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29639 ft
Netherlands

With iPhone you can not go back to an old version. Use an Android phone to put your Spark in FCC mode and your connection will be super. Look on youtube or facebook forums how to do that. In Europe you will not recognize your Spark back. Today I flew 1200 meters made some super footage and got back. I fly with my iPhone. For iPhone do not update anymore, DJI has to do with European rules so they make your Spark a toy drone.
2018-1-21
Use props
fans05eebfe1
lvl.1
United States

DJi customer service is complete doodie
2018-1-25
Use props
Sparky Sparkins
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5614 ft
United States

They do promote the DJI Goggles as working with the Spark and sell a OTG cable for this purpose:

https://store.dji.com/product/dj ... b3Fz1RoCyGcQAvD_BwE

So, hopefully this means that they do plan to make it work.
2018-1-25
Use props
Coppertop
lvl.3
Flight distance : 168658 ft
United States

Have yet to fly using the OTG cable.
DJI removed that functionality right about the time I bought my Spark.

I would like to have this feature, but it is not a deal breaker.
With or without OTG support, the Spark is a fantastic entry level drone for the beginner or for a more casual drone pilot.

My only issue with Wi-Fi connectivity to the controller is with the bar code. So far it is not a very reliable way to connect the phone to the controller.
It easily takes me two to three tries before the two connect using the bar code.
An OTG would make it tremendously easier to set up the controller and get to flying a lot quicker (as well as a more reliable/direct connection).
2018-1-25
Use props
Mildman
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Sparky Sparkins Posted at 2018-1-25 14:58
They do promote the DJI Goggles as working with the Spark and sell a OTG cable for this purpose:

https://store.dji.com/product/dji-goggles-micro-usb-otg-cable?set_country=us&gclid=CjwKCAiAnabTBRA6EiwAemvBd3e3OxUxuO91Twz7NaejpnEbCjW2sM0UhYPfTcRIJwncPRrtb3Fz1RoCyGcQAvD_BwE

Unfortunately not I think, especially for Android, its been too long since they made it stop working...

The cynics (or accurate observers!) on these forums were proved 100% correct, DJI don't want to see a Spark performing as well as it could...it didn't allow for 'clear water' in the product range.  
Limited camera (we knew that), limited range in EU (not to advertised spec) and now crippled FPV... if you want better...go Mavic range
It's completely understandable from a product marketing perspective, it's the dishonestly and lack of transparency which in inexcusable.

The subject will be forgotten now and EU Android users, if they want to fly as a per the advertised and full potential spec, will need use the FCC hacked, OTG capable (For video), vastly superior featured and extremely stable 3rd party developed 4.1.15 app.

DJI and the drone market needs a competitor...and FAST!...otherwise they're never going to need to focus on customer services, as we can't go anywhere else.
2018-1-25
Use props
Mildman
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Coppertop Posted at 2018-1-25 15:34
Have yet to fly using the OTG cable.
DJI removed that functionality right about the time I bought my Spark.

I think you (and I) were just unlikely at the time we bought our Sparks.
I guess DJI didn't anticipate the success and potential in the consumer market; I mean these things are not toy prices but people are buying them like crazy...if DJI want to expand their range, they needed to strangle the Spark's potential, otherwise people wouldn't have many reason to upgrade.

If all went as advertised, only the camera is a the real drive to upgrade... ...but through sneaky changes they've dumbed down its capabilities (especially in europe) to the extent that it's worth a quarter of its value now.

hey ho.
2018-1-25
Use props
Mariano500
lvl.2
Argentina

I think OTG will be supported when DJI announces it, the fact that when connecting the cable and that it "works" it does not have an approved functionality ... I think that people who use OTG until DJI announces it officially puts in risk your spark.

I cross my fingers to give official OTG support ... because the wifi stinks.
2018-1-25
Use props
FelBRax
lvl.2
Flight distance : 132717 ft
Brazil

I am really sorry to Spam this video AGAIN, every OTG Thread I am posting it,

But some of you may only understand why WiFi is not reliable for most of Android users at the moment ...

2018-1-25
Use props
Mildman
lvl.4

United Kingdom

FelBRax Posted at 2018-1-25 19:34
I am really sorry to Spam this video AGAIN, every OTG Thread I am posting it,

But some of you may only understand why WiFi is not reliable for most of Android users at the moment ...

It's not spamming.  DJI need to make a clear statement (A yes or no, not a vague 'engineers are looking at it') then the OTG threads can stop.

Until then, it deserves to be talked about...like flyaways, compass issues, GPS issues and every other issues that owners consider important.
2018-1-26
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI have made a clear statement by releasing the Mavic Air with OTG support, it looks like only the Mavic family and above will have OTG .

I suspect they will encourage people to buy the MA if they need OTG.
They will be focusing on the MA and the MP2 for now, I think that might be it from a Spark point of view, no more product development going forward.
This seems to be reinforced by the drop in the Spark price, clearly downgrading it in status in the DJI pecking order.
2018-1-26
Use props
Mildman
lvl.4

United Kingdom

lannes Posted at 2018-1-26 01:18
DJI have made a clear statement by releasing the Mavic Air with OTG support, it looks like only the Mavic family and above will have OTG .

I suspect they will encourage people to buy the MA if hey need OTG.

Yes I agree on that part, that is a very clear statement in terms of coaxing owners who are unhappy with the Spark's performance to upgrade.

...just because the MA is out there (and looking beautiful and tempting btw lol) won't make the folks who spent £700 on a Spark not strive for the features they were promised (no, I don't mean OTG, I mean FPV beyond 70m/Stable video connection) however DJI choose to resolve that)

It's like saying, don't discuss Spark flyaways anymore...if you don't want risk of flyaways, get an MA hahaha
2018-1-26
Use props
gibbon
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Just to be clear (i'm considering buying a spark),   the restrictions are purely on a software (app on phone) level?  Doesn't make a difference if firmware on spark etc has been upgraded to the latest version?  Does it not check for latest version when you start the app up? (i saw a video of someone opening the app and it seemed to do some version checking) ie would it not prompt to upgrade?

what other (negative) differences would using the old OTG supported app  over the latest one bring?

also are flyaways actually a big problem?  (i appriciate the problem that they cause, I mean is it common problem?)
cheers for any help in advance.
2018-1-26
Use props
Mildman
lvl.4

United Kingdom

gibbon Posted at 2018-1-26 02:52
Just to be clear (i'm considering buying a spark),   the restrictions are purely on a software (app on phone) level?  Doesn't make a difference if firmware on spark etc has been upgraded to the latest version?  Does it not check for latest version when you start the app up? (i saw a video of someone opening the app and it seemed to do some version checking) ie would it not prompt to upgrade?

what other (negative) differences would using the old OTG supported app  over the latest one bring?

My personal experience with using an older App is a good one, it's reliable and stable etc...but I'm also reluctant to offer advice to people who mind end up invalidating their warranty.
The firmware and App updates seem to not be linked...but I guess we can't be sure.

The one negative of users an old App it  that you might not get the 'improved' features but that's going to be dependent on the specfic owner.

Flyaways is interesting, anicdotally they seems to be increasing if you look at the forum but I don't know the actual stats.

2018-1-26
Use props
Vyborny83
lvl.4
Flight distance : 166014 ft
Czechia

lannes Posted at 2018-1-26 01:18
DJI have made a clear statement by releasing the Mavic Air with OTG support, it looks like only the Mavic family and above will have OTG .

I suspect they will encourage people to buy the MA if hey need OTG.

Actually, Mods here promised the OTG for spark many times over the last two moths (since their engineers broke it). It works fine with an older version of DJI GO 4 for android and by the recent posts, it works  even on the newest version for iOS again. So ... my quess is we just have to wait till it gets back to adroid as well ...

I do understand the need for the advance and the new products to be released (Mavic Air), but I would expect that they will get the Spark right first before implementing those features in a drone that isn't even available yet (I know about the preorders but you still can't go to the store and buy it right away ...).
2018-1-26
Use props
Mariano500
lvl.2
Argentina

It is exactly the kind of delay that I suffer with my sprak and I must admit that I have already begun to worry that it was only mine, since in the forum when one complains about the WIFI connection they almost treat it as hysterical.
Anyway, I experienced that delay inside the house, exactly as in the video and in the free arire not so much (or I am not aware of the open environment). You have to take into account that inside there are many interferences in that wifi router range ... etc ... but also that would be bad news, that the Wi-Fi link is so precarious and sencible.
2018-1-26
Use props
Mariano500
lvl.2
Argentina

Vyborny83 Posted at 2018-1-26 03:37
Actually, Mods here promised the OTG for spark many times over the last two moths (since their engineers broke it). It works fine with an older version of DJI GO 4 for android and by the recent posts, it works  even on the newest version for iOS again. So ... my quess is we just have to wait till it gets back to adroid as well ...

I do understand the need for the advance and the new products to be released (Mavic Air), but I would expect that they will get the Spark right first before implementing those features in a drone that isn't even available yet (I know about the preorders but you still can't go to the store and buy it right away ...).

Totally agree. It has been raised in another post, but unfortunately to say the same I am qualified as a spark owner who wants more than what I pay ... and only demand that what you buy works correctly. Also the claim to DJI for not committing to polish spark features before taking out a new product.
2018-1-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

gibbon Posted at 2018-1-26 02:52
Just to be clear (i'm considering buying a spark),   the restrictions are purely on a software (app on phone) level?  Doesn't make a difference if firmware on spark etc has been upgraded to the latest version?  Does it not check for latest version when you start the app up? (i saw a video of someone opening the app and it seemed to do some version checking) ie would it not prompt to upgrade?

what other (negative) differences would using the old OTG supported app  over the latest one bring?

First off flyaway's have not increased, we may have seen more of them simply because of increased sales of Spark, most so called flyaway's will contain some pilot error and those that don't are replaced under warranty by dji and this number is small.
Using OTG at the moment its not supported by dji yet but is reported to be working well on up to date firmware on iOS , so if your planning to use iOS then you should be ok using OTG.
For Android on up to date Software/Firmware there seems to be problems reported by users, so you may need to revert to older firmware to get the best from OTG on Android.

If you absolutely need to use OTG and up to date firmware then buying Spark now might not be your best bet if using Android, but if not Buy it now and enjoy and forget about all the negative stuff you read about Flyaway's here on this forum, Spark is a well capable drone and great fun with exceptional video/photgraphy platform.
2018-1-26
Use props
gibbon
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Yeah, I'm an Android user.  It looks unlikely I'll be getting one now anyway to be honest as I was planning on getting a (little) used one off of ebay and get it shipped to my hotel in the US next week, but it seems that no ebay seller wants to send to an address except the registered paypal address.   ho hum
2018-1-26
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

United States

gibbon Posted at 2018-1-26 08:08
Yeah, I'm an Android user.  It looks unlikely I'll be getting one now anyway to be honest as I was planning on getting a (little) used one off of ebay and get it shipped to my hotel in the US next week, but it seems that no ebay seller wants to send to an address except the registered paypal address.   ho hum

Craigslist is your friend. If you'll be in decently sized city in US, your chances of having someone selling it from that city are quite high. No shipment costs and maybe doing some new friends.
2018-1-26
Use props
MaxP4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13833304 ft
  • >>>
Italy

OTG for Spark!!!
OTG for Spark!!!
OTG for Spark!!!
OTG for Spark!!!
OTG for Spark!!!
2018-1-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2018-1-26 08:12
Craigslist is your friend. If you'll be in decently sized city in US, your chances of having someone selling it from that city are quite high. No shipment costs and maybe doing some new friends.

Don’t think UK is close to any city in US, lol , unfortunately no Craigslist in UK.
2018-1-26
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-26 08:28
Don’t think UK is close to any city in US, lol , unfortunately no Craigslist in UK.

Next time I recommend reading posts more carefully. Guy said he will be in US next week.
2018-1-26
Use props
gibbon
lvl.2

United Kingdom

haha yeah, well i'll be in fort worth/dallas, so will check it out. thanks
2018-1-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2018-1-26 08:31
Next time I recommend reading posts more carefully. Guy said he will be in US next week.

Apologies my bad.
2018-1-26
Use props
Roshi23
lvl.2
Flight distance : 271575 ft
Argentina

Well I downgraded again the App to 2.1.5 the Otg was working but the range was not as good as the 2.20... I could not hit 500m at 370m it lost signal and returned to home... Shocked...the other day I hit 620m on WiFi with no rth prompt.i turned back I lost video and pushed on with good sats I was very impressed so now today I put 2.1.22 on and will test that...I'm in a heavily built up area WiFi Hell zone but we will see I won't push it but if I get 500m on WiFi I'm cool with that with good video signal is the main reason for these test.
2018-1-26
Use props
Boedie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29639 ft
Netherlands

OTG is back for iPhone with 4.2.4!
2018-1-26
Use props
Flighty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

Interesting,,, this thread has been active for four weeks and not a single comment from Dji Admin,,, hhmmm   
2018-1-26
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's back, concede whining.
2018-1-26
Use props
Mildman
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-1-26 12:13
It's back, concede whining.

Not on Android, which is the one that really needs it.

Thanks for your help and contribution.
2018-1-26
Use props
Djr01974
lvl.3
Flight distance : 175364 ft
United States

Boedie Posted at 2018-1-26 11:57

I confirm otg is working on iOS new update and dji go 4 update. Everything golden.
2018-1-26
Use props
marlowe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 300932 ft
United States

Djr01974 Posted at 2018-1-26 15:55
I confirm otg is working on iOS new update and dji go 4 update. Everything golden.

So, OTG for my iOS mini IPad 2 also seems OK. Does that mean I should fly that way even though there has been no official announcement of support? I also have no problem with the Wi-Fi RC to IPad link or RC to Spark range (with FCC).
2018-1-26
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mildman Posted at 2018-1-26 15:20
Not on Android, which is the one that really needs it.

Thanks for your help and contribution.

Neither really need it, and your quite welcome chap.  
2018-1-26
Use props
marlowe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 300932 ft
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-1-26 17:51

For the benefit of Android users who may not know, when I use OTG with my IPad mini - I still get the "unsupported" box pop up from DJI GO 4, but it all seems to work.
2018-1-26
Use props
BillTheDroneRev
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1211427 ft
  • >>>
United States

Boedie Posted at 2018-1-26 11:57

That's music to my ears ! Thank you for posting !
2018-1-26
Use props
Vyborny83
lvl.4
Flight distance : 166014 ft
Czechia

Read before you decide to post something .... considering you have just insulted the entire European android user comunity (and users in some other countries as well). It may come as a surprise for you but in Europe (CE), the android devices cannot use the 5.8GHz band (it's forbidden with the exception of short range devices like indoor routers or gate openers ...). So ... we are stuck with 2,4GHz connection between the phone and RC and 5,8GHz between the RC and Spark. Another thing about CE regulation is much less broadcasting power allowed which in my case results in a stunning 50m range for spark via 5,8Ghz (ok, if I'm lucky I can get probably about 70m with some serious disconnects).

And this brings us to the point of this topic. OTG is a MUST for Europe and other countries where 5,8GHz is either severly limited by laws or even banned for good like Israel (military band). So ... I am really happy that it works on iOS and that it is not a necessity for the US but a large part of the World really feels different about it.
2018-1-26
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Vyborny83 Posted at 2018-1-26 23:03
Read before you decide to post something .... considering you have just insulted the entire European android user comunity (and users in some other countries as well). It may come as a surprise for you but in Europe (CE), the android devices cannot use the 5.8GHz band (it's forbidden with the exception of short range devices like indoor routers or gate openers ...). So ... we are stuck with 2,4GHz connection between the phone and RC and 5,8GHz between the RC and Spark. Another thing about CE regulation is much less broadcasting power allowed which in my case results in a stunning 50m range for spark via 5,8Ghz (ok, if I'm lucky I can get probably about 70m with some serious disconnects).

And this brings us to the point of this topic. OTG is a MUST for Europe and other countries where 5,8GHz is either severly limited by laws or even banned for good like Israel (military band). So ... I am really happy that it works on iOS and that it is not a necessity for the US but a large part of the World really feels different about it.

My friend, I am originally from Germany.  I fly back and fourth with the Spark and the Mavic.  I get almost 320m in CE with the Spark with WIFI.  It's all and more then I would ever need with a tiny drone.  It was your choice to purchase an Android, and not do more research when buying a DJI product.  So no, I'm not insulting anyone; merely stating my opinion.  This is what forums are for.
2018-1-27
Use props
Sparky Sparkins
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5614 ft
United States

Does OTG work with Litchi on Android?
2018-1-27
Use props
Mildman
lvl.4

United Kingdom

"Neither really need it"

Words from someone who clearly has no idea what its like experience a Spark being unreliable beyond 50 metres.

2018-1-27
Use props
Mildman
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-1-27 06:39
My friend, I am originally from Germany.  I fly back and fourth with the Spark and the Mavic.  I get almost 320m in CE with the Spark with WIFI.  It's all and more then I would ever need with a tiny drone.  It was your choice to purchase an Android, and not do more research when buying a DJI product.  So no, I'm not insulting anyone; merely stating my opinion.  This is what forums are for.

Right, great news...remind me again why you bothered to join the debate?
2018-1-27
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Because a debate has 2 sides fella.  That’s a debate.  
2018-1-27
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules