Taking your P3P onto a flight to Europe....Do's and Don'ts
845 10 2017-12-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
njnow02
lvl.1
United States

Hi Pilots,
I recently got a gig for some aerial photography in both Germany and Scotland. Since I'm based in the U.S. I'm not sure what the protocol is for commercial airlines and flying with a drone, 4 batteries, a few necessary accessories and a hard shell case.
Does anyone have any experience with taking your drone onto a commercial aircraft into Europe?

Many Thanks!
2017-12-18
Use props
njnow02
lvl.1
United States

Taking your P3P on a Commercial Airplane to Europe

Hi Pilots,
I recently got a gig for some aerial photography in both Germany and Scotland in March and April 2018. Since I'm based in the U.S. I'm not sure what the protocol is for commercial airlines and flying with a drone, 4 batteries, a few necessary accessories and a hard shell case.

Does anyone have any experience with taking your drone onto a commercial aircraft into Europe?

Many Thanks!

2017-12-18
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I've taken P3P, Mavic and Spark on aircraft.  Flew around the world this fall.  Never once had an issue at security.  You must take your batteries as carry on.  Measure your case and make sure it's no larger than the carry on limit.  The foam DJI P3P case was no problem.  Germany has tight drone rules you should look into.  Drones there require an aluminum ID plate and there is a safety test.  Look up SafeDrone on line.  This is my German certificate from Lufthansa Technik..

SafeDrone

SafeDrone
2017-12-18
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, you can call the airline company to check whether they have restrictions of carrying the drones. If it is permissable, I'd suggest to discharge the battery to 5% on board.
2017-12-18
Use props
njnow02
lvl.1
United States

@DJI Susan, Good point to drain the batteries! Thanks for that tip.
@Hummingbird.UAV ah yes, the Germans have A LOT of rules and like you, I'd rather be compliant. I've already registered with the Safe-Drone.com to get my bird registered while I'm there. Thanks for that tip otherwise I wouldn't have known. Funny thing is, I have a lot of friends working at Lufthansa Technik and NONE of them knew about this program you mentioned.
2017-12-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

njnow02 Posted at 2017-12-19 07:57
@DJI Susan, Good point to drain the batteries! Thanks for that tip.
@Hummingbird.UAV ah yes, the Germans have A LOT of rules and like you, I'd rather be compliant. I've already registered with the Safe-Drone.com to get my bird registered while I'm there. Thanks for that tip otherwise I wouldn't have known. Funny thing is, I have a lot of friends working at Lufthansa Technik and NONE of them knew about this program you mentioned.

Good point to drain the batteries! Thanks for that tip.
It's not a good point, it's just perpetuating a common myth.
It's completely unnecessary and no airline asks you to do that.
2017-12-19
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

And regarding the rules in the U.K:-

https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial ... se-of-small-drones/

For recreational flying you need to follow the Drone code, and also be aware of any local flight restrictions. So no flying in towns or cities (congested areas). There are also large areas in UK, some in North of Scotland where low level and ultra low level flying are practiced by NATO aircraft.

For commercial work permission would be needed from CAA, above link should explain both options.
2017-12-19
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2017-12-19 13:42
Good point to drain the batteries! Thanks for that tip.
It's not a good point, it's just perpetuating a common myth.
It's completely unnecessary and no airline asks you to do that.

Perhaps but, what is more dangerous, a full battery or an empty one?
2017-12-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 2017-12-19 22:55
Perhaps but, what is more dangerous, a full battery or an empty one?

Since I've never heard of any reports of DJI batteries exploding during transport, I'd say that neither is safer.
Forums are full of people telling each other to discharge batteries to fly but no airline in the world asks you to discharge them.
The TSA or airport security aren't interested in checking the charge level.
Airlines don't ask anyone to discharge laptop, phone or camera batteries.
The idea of discharging to transport is a total myth that gets spread in forums by people who don't let their lack of knowledge stop them.
2017-12-20
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Do dead batteries bloat or just ones with charge in them?

btw, my comment was based on the idea that i have no knowledge fore or against flying with Lipol's because, the last time i flew was 2010 andi have only just recently
gotten in to RC, so i am literally none the wiser and i havent read about any myths about not taking them live or dead

My question was based purely on, what is safer in general (ignore planes for now), a live one or a flat one, if i was to take an educated guess, it would be a full one
If sommat happened with a  bad one, shorts or what have you, i think the effects would be minimal compared to a full one? (thats partly a question cause i dont really know)
i am just basing it on common sense is all, but if a full one is more dangerous (in general) than a flat one then surely a flat one would be safer on a plane than a full one.

Why is neither is safer than the other? are you basing it on, nothing has happened before?

I would truly like to know why a flat one is just as dangerous as a full one please?
2017-12-20
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

I made a post regarding some of the Dansih rues and tests in case you should come around here.
2017-12-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules