Maximizing the dynamic range of X5S
1571 8 2017-12-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans6197024f
lvl.4
Poland

How to maximize the dynamic range of X5S?
To best results it have to be CDNG, D-LOG? What else?

How they can get so big dynamic range? It has to be with some postproduction trics, HDR software like Photomatix or SNS HDR PRO. What do You think?

2017-12-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, nice footage, very impressive.
Cinecore has been updated to 2.1 with the latest firmware, which supports new DJI Cinema Color System to record a high dynamic range and wider color gamut.
In EI mode, the color options change to “D-Log” and “Rec.709”. In D-Log, the dynamic range performance is the highest and original information will be kept for post-production, a higher EI value can obtain a wider dynamic range.
Please make sure your firmware has been updated. Thanks.

2017-12-18
Use props
CiRec
lvl.3
Flight distance : 200791 ft
Germany

you definitely should check out blackmagicks davinci resolve for color grading. there is a free version available, with nearly no restrictions over the full paid version...

and of course, cdng delivers the biggest dynamic range for grading.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/de/products/davinciresolve/
2017-12-18
Use props
Barry Goyette
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14928 ft
  • >>>
United States

My guess is a lot of the sky in that video has been comped in, or masked heavily.

To answer your question. To maximize DR on ANY camera, you need to expose important highlights as far to the right as possible, without clipping those important highlights.  Log exposure will help you see that range better, but RAW recording will give you the most DR. Think of an image as a bucket and you want to fill it all the way to the top without spilling any. Those important highlights are your maximum tone, and if you expose them as bright as possible, then the deepest shadows will get more exposure, thus maximizing your Dynamic range. It's really simple.
2017-12-20
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Barry Goyette Posted at 2017-12-20 12:31
My guess is a lot of the sky in that video has been comped in, or masked heavily.

To answer your question. To maximize DR on ANY camera, you need to expose important highlights as far to the right as possible, without clipping those important highlights.  Log exposure will help you see that range better, but RAW recording will give you the most DR. Think of an image as a bucket and you want to fill it all the way to the top without spilling any. Those important highlights are your maximum tone, and if you expose them as bright as possible, then the deepest shadows will get more exposure, thus maximizing your Dynamic range. It's really simple.

Hi Barry,

You are one of the most respected and knowledgeable posters anywhere so I'm hoping you can clarify if it matters to the CDNG footage if you shoot in 'Normal' vs, 'D-Log' or even the new EI mode.

The mode clearly affects the proxy footage but does it affect CDNG results?  (I should test this but am too lazy to).

Also, it seems that shooting at 5.2K gives 12 bit vs. 10 bit per channel color (other sizes) - is that correct also. The trade off would be processing time of course. What do you do in practice?

Mike
2017-12-21
Use props
Barry Goyette
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14928 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-12-21 01:51
Hi Barry,

You are one of the most respected and knowledgeable posters anywhere so I'm hoping you can clarify if it matters to the CDNG footage if you shoot in 'Normal' vs, 'D-Log' or even the new EI mode.

Hey Mike,

I thought you sold your I2?

So I'm not exactly sure the question ( so my answers may not be correct). I think you are asking whether there is difference in RAW encoding with the different modes...I haven't fully tested this, but there is definitely a color rendering difference between still raw versus video raw. Not sure the cause of this (maybe just that they are profiled differently, but the actual data is the same). I'm pretty sure you can end up with a different "preview" with a LOG look or Linear look depending on what settings you use in Still Raw, but, in theory...these are just previews...the raw data should be the same (as it's always been).

As far as I can tell, this is just according to DJI, under Cinecore 2.1, all RAW formats are 12bit, ALL ProRes formats are 10bit, and ALL SD card formats are 8bit. There isn't a distinction for various frame sizes. I haven't tested this.
2017-12-21
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Barry Goyette Posted at 2017-12-21 10:48
Hey Mike,

I thought you sold your I2?

Hi Barry,

I've still got my Inspire 2 - its my favourite bird except for the challenge in hauling it around when traveling overseas and hiking.

It makes sense that Raw is all the same bit depth across frame sizes. It certainly has more range of adjustment in every sense  of the word. I found your answer most helpful. Thanks for sharing!
2017-12-21
Use props
fans6197024f
lvl.4
Poland

Barry Goyette Posted at 2017-12-20 12:31

To answer your question. To maximize DR on ANY camera, you need to expose important highlights as far to the right as possible, without clipping those important highlights.  Log exposure will help you see that range better, but RAW recording will give you the most DR. Think of an image as a bucket and you want to fill it all the way to the top without spilling any. Those important highlights are your maximum tone, and if you expose them as bright as possible, then the deepest shadows will get more exposure, thus maximizing your Dynamic range. It's really simple.

Ok, time to start my adventure with CDNG. Thanks for advice.
I'm watching Your videos on Vimeo now, "Close to Home" as an example, and I have a new style to follow
Can You tell us, please, was it native HFR or maked with some postproduction technique like Twixtor or even speed up x 2? Because it is 60 fps? What do You think about this choice for X5S users to shot a landscape: 30 fps 2.0 Crop Factor or 60 fps 2.7 CF?
45 mm lens to increase the depth of field in some shots, right?

The Dynamic Range in this Your video is realy impressive, I think.

2017-12-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules