Landing Gear Failed after FW Update
1215 15 2017-12-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
UAVKiwi
lvl.1

Australia

Hi guys, need a bit of help, Just did the FW update, and now I have an "Encryption Error" on my controller, and the landing gear on my Inspire 1 refuse to work.
The FW was uploaded in the normal fashion, AC via the SD card, and Controller via the Go App. They seemed to go ok, the AC responds fine, no warning beeps lights or other indicators, other than the landing gear refuse to work in any way shape or form.
What I have tried:
  • the Toggle on the controller, yes more than four times
  • The "Enter Travel Mode, via the Go App
  • Via the automatic mode in flight
  • I can wind them up and down freely via the screw, action has been greased lightly, and is easy to actuate.
  • I have screwed the worm gear an 1/8 of an inch as suggested.
  • downgraded the FW on the controller and then back up to latest. (Interestingly, the "Encryption Error" goes away when the controller FW is downgraded....)

The craft was performing just fine, and all was normal until the upgrade. Surprise surprise....

The aircraft flies, fine, camera works etc all is normal except the ruddy landing gear are dead. The Go App confirms that the "Landing gear raised" "Landing Gear Lowered" but it does not move.
Last note is that when it tries to raise, the solid blue light goes on on the AC, and then the software reverses the command, and it goes back to green.

So yeah DJI, What gives?

No it is not in warrenty, No it has not had hard crashes, I treat this thing like a baby, as I need it for my job, doing roof inspections.

2017-12-18
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
Flight distance : 621909 ft
  • >>>
United States

you try to rebind the RC after the update? also check the plug for the center frame motor. might have wiggled loose
2017-12-18
Use props
UAVKiwi
lvl.1

Australia

TruGreen Posted at 2017-12-18 18:23
you try to rebind the RC after the update? also check the plug for the center frame motor. might have wiggled loose

Hi TruGreen, yes rebinding each time, and this is all good.
Have not checked the actual plug, Is that able to be got to without removing the frame pieces?
2017-12-18
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

yes when looking at the nose of the Inspire on the left side on the front of the battery tray there is a set of plugs. you want to check the black one with three wires in it

heres a Google image to show

https://forum44.djicdn.com/data/ ... ybbjsqeimb2gypg.jpg
2017-12-18
Use props
UAVKiwi
lvl.1

Australia

TruGreen Posted at 2017-12-18 18:52
yes when looking at the nose of the Inspire on the left side on the front of the battery tray there is a set of plugs. you want to check the black one with three wires in it

heres a Google image to show

Great stuff, very helpfull, thank you.

It looks like a regular servo plug, would you know if I plugged it into a servo tester, would that be able to provide the signal that the unit would recognise and actuate the mechanism?

I am at work right now, but will try this when I get home tonight.
2017-12-18
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

to be honest not sure. but its worth a shot. worse case the motor is old and just died.  hopefully the plug just loose. cause trust me its not fun to remove the center frame.... literally everything is built off of it
2017-12-18
Use props
UAVKiwi
lvl.1

Australia

TruGreen Posted at 2017-12-18 18:59
to be honest not sure. but its worth a shot. worse case the motor is old and just died.  hopefully the plug just loose. cause trust me its not fun to remove the center frame.... literally everything is built off of it

Will give it a go, and see what happens, you could be right, these units are pretty pricey to get hold too.

Appreciate your suggestion, some times with these problems a fresh set of eyes is what you need. Will circle back tomorrow and let you know what I find out.
Cheers mate!
2017-12-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Kiwi, sorry to know you are experiencing difficulties, ''Encryption Error'' is usually caused by failed firmware updating or the hardware malfunction.
Glad to know you figured it out.
For the landing gear, I have sent you message, please check it out, thank you.
2017-12-19
Use props
Donnie *
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

UAVKiwi Posted at 2017-12-18 19:06
Will give it a go, and see what happens, you could be right, these units are pretty pricey to get hold too.

Appreciate your suggestion, some times with these problems a fresh set of eyes is what you need. Will circle back tomorrow and let you know what I find out.

Did you update the AC and the RC  to the latest FW ?  If not be sure to do so. also do a  refresh link between the AC and the /RC after updating both .  Also do a IMU and gimbal calibration after updating the Aircraft , this may clear the "encrytption error "  The landing gear may just have a worn worm gear , this can be from a hard landing , in additon to libe of the wrom gear make sure the other moving parts  on the support booms are lightly oiled as well, look for binding.  Are you sure before updating the craft did not hit the ground a little harder than usual ..... it happens.

Might have a problem with non compatible FW between the AC and Rc if not properly;y updated .
Do you recall a hard landing at all, it happens to the best of us !!
Make sure that the Rc and Ac are on the current FW.  If not sure the RC should be on 1.7.8 and the AC  on 1.11 .01.50

donnie

2017-12-19
Use props
UAVKiwi
lvl.1

Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-12-19 00:10
Hi Kiwi, sorry to know you are experiencing difficulties, ''Encryption Error'' is usually caused by failed firmware updating or the hardware malfunction.
Glad to know you figured it out.
For the landing gear, I have sent you message, please check it out, thank you.

Hi Mindy, thankyou for the reply, I upgraded, then downgraded and still got the encryption error, after re-upgrading, so not sure what is happening there.

If I can get hold of a new or second hand motor for the landing gear, and this thing flies again, I will probably just leave it, as it does not seem to affect the drone.

Re the message, I have not received anything?
2017-12-19
Use props
UAVKiwi
lvl.1

Australia

UAVKiwi Posted at 2017-12-19 16:13
Hi Mindy, thankyou for the reply, I upgraded, then downgraded and still got the encryption error, after re-upgrading, so not sure what is happening there.

If I can get hold of a new or second hand motor for the landing gear, and this thing flies again, I will probably just leave it, as it does not seem to affect the drone.

Ok yes, I got the message, sorry, getting used to this Forums ins and outs. My mistake there.
2017-12-19
Use props
UAVKiwi
lvl.1

Australia

Morning chaps, so when I got home last night I took TruGreens advice and tested the motor mechanism externally tot he drones own systems. without the noise of the fan and other kit running, I could hear the motor attempting to work, but it seemed to be not engaging the gears or something.
So, stripped it all down to bare bones, no mean feat by the way, those DJI lads are quite the watch makers....
Eventually got the center frame out and on the bench, made up a testing rig with a separate receiver and battery.
The Motor is burnt out, not even enough juice to actuate the worm gear with no load on it.
This perhaps is the "Encryption Error" with the system reporting a failure
So off to trawl Ebay now to locate one.  The rest of the mechanism is in mint condition, just the motor itself is knackered.  Perhaps the previous owner was doing the "travel Mode" on carpet or rough surfaces?.
2017-12-19
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

theres one i saw on ebay earlier. the lift mech is bent but rest seems in decent shape and is $50

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AS-IS-D ... d608ec82:g
2017-12-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

UAVKiwi Posted at 2017-12-19 16:13

Hi Kiwi, Encryption Error means there is something wrong with the RC, it has nothing to do with the aircraft, I suggest to send in the drone and RC for diagnosis and repair service if you are available.
Sorry for the inconvenience caused.
2017-12-19
Use props
Donnie *
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

UAVKiwi Posted at 2017-12-19 16:34
Morning chaps, so when I got home last night I took TruGreens advice and tested the motor mechanism externally tot he drones own systems. without the noise of the fan and other kit running, I could hear the motor attempting to work, but it seemed to be not engaging the gears or something.
So, stripped it all down to bare bones, no mean feat by the way, those DJI lads are quite the watch makers....
Eventually got the center frame out and on the bench, made up a testing rig with a separate receiver and battery.

So just coincidence that it failed after the update I guess Good luck with the repair.
I would say the cause was a hard landings OR it has a bind somehwerre in the system and burned the motor out . Or bad mesh form the get go at the factory , hard to tell .

donnie
2017-12-20
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

UAVKiwi Posted at 2017-12-19 16:34
Eventually got the center frame out and on the bench, made up a testing rig with a separate receiver and battery.

Excellent point about the rough service or carpet and going into or out of Travel mode.  I could see that effort  damaging a motor.
2017-12-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules