1385 13 2017-12-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Skyris
First Officer
Flight distance : 333799 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hi new x7 owners, can you share your thoughts on the new x7 camera... what are the new lenses like? what is the best lens?
Thanks in advance
2017-12-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi, Skyris, you have received your X7 right? How about its performance? Is there any problem?
Thanks for your feedback.
2017-12-18
Use props
Skyris
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Still waiting foir mine, I still have time to cancel... I cant believe there haven't been any decent reviews on this yet, dxo have scored the sensor but havent got round to the lenses... its crazy..
2017-12-19
Use props
Barry Goyette
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14928 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've been flying the x7 for the past week, and I'm really impressed on the video side. Every aspect is improved over the x5s as far as my tests have shown. Still a little concerned about some of the softness we've seen with the Raw Stills, but on the video side there is really nothing to complain about. (oh...except DLog EI mode in H264...that's completely broken).  BTW SKyris....you and I discussed the RAW stills issue last week and I'm starting to believe there is no "strong" AA filter at work here. Ran some 6k raw video and compared it side by side with the still images and the still has some blurring and detail loss compared to the 6k video... that doesn't really make any sense. I'm going to be doing some more testing, but you might want to take a look at my posts from saturday over at RC groups.
2017-12-19
Use props
Skyris
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Barry Goyette Posted at 2017-12-19 20:00
I've been flying the x7 for the past week, and I'm really impressed on the video side. Every aspect is improved over the x5s as far as my tests have shown. Still a little concerned about some of the softness we've seen with the Raw Stills, but on the video side there is really nothing to complain about. (oh...except DLog EI mode in H264...that's completely broken).  BTW SKyris....you and I discussed the RAW stills issue last week and I'm starting to believe there is no "strong" AA filter at work here. Ran some 6k raw video and compared it side by side with the still images and the still has some blurring and detail loss compared to the 6k video... that doesn't really make any sense. I'm going to be doing some more testing, but you might want to take a look at my posts from saturday over at RC groups.

Hi Barry, can you send a link to this discussion. thanks. I am concerned as I have heard on other posts some still shooters are going back to the x5s as the x7 is way to soft for commercial work, I cant afford to waste $6.5k for the x7 and 1 lens...
2017-12-19
Use props
Skyris
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Barry Goyette Posted at 2017-12-19 20:00
I've been flying the x7 for the past week, and I'm really impressed on the video side. Every aspect is improved over the x5s as far as my tests have shown. Still a little concerned about some of the softness we've seen with the Raw Stills, but on the video side there is really nothing to complain about. (oh...except DLog EI mode in H264...that's completely broken).  BTW SKyris....you and I discussed the RAW stills issue last week and I'm starting to believe there is no "strong" AA filter at work here. Ran some 6k raw video and compared it side by side with the still images and the still has some blurring and detail loss compared to the 6k video... that doesn't really make any sense. I'm going to be doing some more testing, but you might want to take a look at my posts from saturday over at RC groups.

Barry, when you say that  you are concerned with the raw still softness, do you mean the ones that we have previously discussed or ones of your own...
do you have any dng still samples that you can share?
2017-12-19
Use props
Barry Goyette
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14928 ft
  • >>>
United States

Skyris Posted at 2017-12-19 22:24
Barry, when you say that  you are concerned with the raw still softness, do you mean the ones that we have previously discussed or ones of your own...
do you have any dng still samples that you can share?

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/ ... ad%2A%2A%2A/page939  post #14078  there are two other posts there concerning DR and how detail is being rendered, so check them out too.
2017-12-20
Use props
Skyris
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Barry Goyette Posted at 2017-12-20 12:25
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2778536-Official-Inspire-2-%2A%2A%2AOwner-s-Thread%2A%2A%2A/page939  post #14078  there are two other posts there concerning DR and how detail is being rendered, so check them out too.

Thanks for the link Barry, Yeah the stills are a bit worrying, I keep going back to a set of images shared by a guy on youtube that are actually not too bad and keeping me a little more positive.
Drone Genius shared a link within this video in one of the relpys.. the 16mm doesnt look too bad in a few of these, kind of matching the x5s with 15mm for sharpness.

I will check out your other post.
2017-12-20
Use props
5kdigitalfilm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7643891 ft
United Kingdom

We have just finished our second production with the X7. We have been filming in the mountains in very difficult conditions. We are very happy with the results from the camera. In a professional production enviroment and property handled in post, the images are the most cinematic We have seen from a small drone camera.
Here a quick preview from one of our productions.

BTS
2017-12-24
Use props
DECinHSV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14255190 ft
  • >>>
United States

5kdigitalfilm Posted at 2017-12-24 12:41
We have just finished our second production with the X7. We have been filming in the mountains in very difficult conditions. We are very happy with the results from the camera. In a professional production enviroment and property handled in post, the images are the most cinematic We have seen from a small drone camera.
Here a quick preview from one of our productions.
Tirol - Over the Wilderness

impressive !  Compared to the X5S can you see significant different in the day?
2017-12-24
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

5kdigitalfilm Posted at 2017-12-24 12:41
Here a quick preview from one of our productions.
Tirol - Over the Wilderness

Brilliant production and documentary. Thanks for sharing!
2017-12-29
Use props
Skyris
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Just received my X7, So far I am pretty disappointed.. the 16mm is very soft. matches the x5s if not worse at 100% crop. there is a lot more room for correction in adobe raw with the extra dynamic range and can seem to sharpen it better than an x5s raw dng but straight out of camera is not fantastic. Anyone noticing heavy noise reduction on the jpgs??
Expected so much more from the lens being the most expensive one I have ever purchased.. saying that I am not sure if it is the lens or sensor or firmware or combination of all....
2018-1-2
Use props
Skyris
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Also, for a $2199 AUD lens, don't you think that the uv filter that comes with the lens should have a case not a bag that you have to destroy to get it out..., it will get wrecked in my camera bag loose...
2018-1-3
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

Skyris Posted at 2018-1-3 13:01
Also, for a $2199 AUD lens, don't you think that the uv filter that comes with the lens should have a case not a bag that you have to destroy to get it out..., it will get wrecked in my camera bag loose...

It is great to hear some more critical review of X7 lens. Please keep up the effort and work with DJI to resolve any issues you come across. Back to reality, if it does not do what you expect, sometimes you will have to make a decision to cut it loose. After all, you are running a business.
2018-1-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules