Update issues 99% stuck
2635 5 2017-12-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kopteristi
lvl.3
Finland

Yesterday I updated brand new Phantom 4 with DJI Go 4 and it didn't go as planned. Now video feed is almost gone showing green - black - and random flashes of video feed. Controller flashes red green in non symmetric pattern. I write all steps I remember here if this helps someone else and perhaps somebody could give an advice what went wrong and what could help.

This is what I did:
  • New Phantom 4 but perhaps old stock. Battery was dead and controller at 1 bar charge
  • With older working battery I updated with DJI Go4 to latest prompted firmware
  • Download was ok
  • Update asked to unplug and plug usb -  I did and update process did continue
  • Update was stuck at 99% for half an hour
  • I unplugged usb again and replugged it - no help
  • I restarted aircraft - no help
  • I restarted app, RC and aircraft - no help and video feed was gone. Version was "unknown". Controller flashed red - green pattern. Pattern is not symmetrical and it feels like random.
  • I connected aircraft to Assisstant 2 v1.1.6
  • Version was 0.00.00.0000 or so, all zeros
  • Update downloaded but failed. I tried three times
  • I tried to restore factory settings in between some update attempt
  • After night I reconnected RC to aircraft. DJI Go 4 prompted it was succesfull
  • DJI Go 4 tells firmware is up to date
  • I downloaded DJI Assistant 2 v1.1.8
  • Version was found and it was same which update on DJI Go 4 was failed
  • DJI Assistant 2 v1.1.8 downloaded update fine but failed due below 50% battery
  • Process continues after charging.

Perhaps this recovers. I assume controller firmware update failed for some reason. If not, which options do I have for quickest turnaround if need to send somewhere? I ordered this from local dealer on Monday, got it on Saturday and activated on Monday. Now it is Tuesday. So it is a week from order and a day from activation.
2017-12-18
Use props
3exSXNknDvAu
lvl.3
Flight distance : 481939 ft
United States

I've had 99% before, but without problems; mine were just the software not saying 100% before P4 disconnected.

It's a good idea to do a secondary reboot of both aircraft and remote after a firmware upgrade or downgrade.

Many of us are having problems with DJI Go 4.1.18, and some of us even with prior 4.1.x versions especially with slower mobile-devices.  Video Transmission bandwidth is too high and the Go4 app is too bloated.  You could change video transmission to "custom" and set bandwidth to 4Mbps (minimum).  "Custom" is for video link only, your control over the aircraft will not be affected.  Also turn off over-exposure warnings in the camera settings.

I'm forced to use Go v4.1.15 on my android.  But you could also try alternative flying apps.  Are you iOS or Android?  Try kittyhawk.io on iOS for free or UgCS for DJI on Android for free.  kittyhawk is reported to have flight beta soon for android.  Many people buy Litchi, but i'm cheap.
2017-12-19
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If using iOS device then update DJI Go 4 to V4.1.20 (released yesterday) then try the following:-

With RC and display connected (aircraft off), and display has a good wifi connection to internet. Run DJI Go 4 and 'enter device'. Open the 'aircraft status' screen by tapping the screen at top edge where it says 'disconnected'. The top line 'Overall Status' should show if update required (this may take a few seconds to appear). If it does then tap on that and it should take you through the process to update RC. That may make the difference to your display.

Edit :- with the aircraft firmware V02.00.0160 the RC must be updated to V1.9.3 for RC to communicate with aircraft correctly.

There are a couple of issues with the 02.00.0106 firmware update, you may have some flight instability (or not), and there will likely be a problem when recording in 4k @ 30 fps where the video stops recording and the gimbal resets at random intervals. If either is a problem then the Beta 02.00.0600 can be requested from one of the mods which seems to resolve these issues for most.

Edit 2:- the fact that it is reporting 99% complete suggests that it has completed but just not reporting correctly. When you get RC updated check 'About' and that should report all good I would think.

2017-12-19
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Aardvark Posted at 2017-12-19 14:04
Edit 2:- the fact that it is reporting 99% complete suggests that it has completed but just not reporting correctly. When you get RC updated check 'About' and that should report all good I would think.

A good summary, Aardvark - it's were we are currently. Just adding to your second edit, if the craft reboots itself on the 99% then that's the best indication that the update was successful and the app just missed the "thumbs up" response from the craft.
2017-12-19
Use props
Porkhunt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1417 ft
Australia

Try uninstalling DJI app then reinstalling it this happened to me too!
2017-12-20
Use props
Ezreal
lvl.2

United States

I have the same problem with my iPhone 8. Is there any third-party tool to fix? Thank you
2019-8-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules