Will you keep your spark if OTG cables are disabled?
11534 209 2017-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 891404 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I'll keep it, but I won't be happy.
2017-12-25
Use props
manolism
Second Officer
Flight distance : 53035 ft
Greece

I'll keep it because is the first drone i have!!
2017-12-25
Use props
Locationscout_B
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62201 ft
Germany

more important as a disabled OTG for me is DJI Policy on repairs 1,5 years after buying time. Will they repair it or will they focus all their efforts on a SPARK 2 or something else? I do not buy new stuff after a couple of mounths. The Inspire-forums are interesting to read for Spark-Owners as well.
2017-12-25
Use props
Ikmal1753
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8406 ft
Malaysia

Will keep it for sentimental value because its the first drone ive bought and owned. But it may change depends on future update!!
2017-12-26
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, because it was never meant to operate with an OTG cable.
2017-12-26
Use props
Mirek6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

Yes, because for me personally (I live in Canada so European rules fortunately do not affect me), OTG is not a source of the problem.

I do use OTG for better communication between RC and my Android mobile. And here is the real problem for me - WiFi connection which, while OKish, leaves something to be desired.
I will be looking forward for DJI improving communication between RC and mobile. How they do it, whether it is better WiFi or enabling full support of OTG - is their prerogative.
I would personally prefer WiFi since I would not need to fumble with an OTG cable. I do not see any reason why this could not be improved since with the distance of 10 cm between mobile and RC, WiFi should be absolutely flawless. Comparing to really amazing and highly complex technology which Spark is full of, WiFi issue is software development and wireless communication 101. Should be relatively easy.  

Since DJI does officially support WiFi and since most Spark users use WiFi for RC/mobile connection, I think it should be DJI's priority. And if Spark cannot be used in Europe or other countries due to WiFi frequency restrictions, it should not be sold there until issue is resolved (via WiFi, OTG, bluetooth or whatever communications method). Users should not dictate "how" to implement something but they definitely have a say in "what". And "what" in this case is a "flawless connection between RC and mobile and between RC and AC which is applicable anywhere I live and/or travel".

I bought Spark because, after doing due diligence research, it seemed to be the best drone for my travel and photography needs with a price tag which suggested some compromises but which suited me just fine. I enjoy flying it, I am learning to recognize its quirks and it generally meets my expectations. I prefer OTG because of Wifi performance and I will keep my DJI Go 4 app at version 4.1.15 until either OTG is supported or Wifi connection is improved. I am giving DJI a benefit of doubt and believe that, with all the feedback, they will do the right thing and satisfy their users requirements. This may take some time so I am prepared to be patient (it's winter and -20 Celsius in Ottawa so it is easy for me - no flying outside :-))

In the end it is purely market and no emotion or particular attachment to a particular solution. Yes - if I am 100% satisfied with Spark and see the improvements we are all waiting for, at some point I may "graduate" to Mavic or Phantom and grow to be a die-hard fan of DJI drones. If, after waiting patiently, I figure out that my benefit of doubt was misguided, I will surely not graduate to Mavic or anything else DJI in a naive hope it would be better. I don't like being played. By that time, I am sure we will see other drones which can be worthy of our money and attention.

For now - I cheer for Spark and wish DJI all the best in their quest for "perfect" products and full customer satisfaction.      
2017-12-26
Use props
dansmar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 422149 ft
United States

Mirek6 Posted at 2017-12-26 15:55
Yes, because for me personally (I live in Canada so European rules fortunately do not affect me), OTG is not a source of the problem.

I do use OTG for better communication between RC and my Android mobile. And here is the real problem for me - WiFi connection which, while OKish, leaves something to be desired.

Wow - you published a book - no one is going to read

Brevity is key
2017-12-27
Use props
Lis Morris
lvl.2
United Kingdom

dansmar Posted at 2017-12-27 08:46
Wow - you published a book - no one is going to read

Brevity is key

I read it. *shrugs*

Personally, I think I'd stick with my Spark- on 4.1.15 ...but never buy another DJI product. Why would I, since they give me little faith they are interested in my business, as an EC customer. Dji can reap what they sow.
2017-12-28
Use props
Adriano Araujo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 731565 ft
Brazil

Guys, I´ve been flying (and doing a lot of stuff – if you search the forum will find it)  for six month with no R.C. Just Phone as controller.

In that setup, I have range limitation (50m high, 100m far), but as for what I need the spark (to “selfie” myself) it is enough.

Also, using just phone (I use with iPhone 7+ and iPhone 5s) it works like a charm. Real life video feed. Lo lag, etc.

As I don´t have a controller (neither saw one in action), I wonder if someday I´ll need/buy one, as I can read a lot of problems about OTG, Lag, Disconnection, etc…
2017-12-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Lis Morris Posted at 2017-12-28 03:44
I read it. *shrugs*

Personally, I think I'd stick with my Spark- on 4.1.15 ...but never buy another DJI product. Why would I, since they give me little faith they are interested in my business, as an EC customer. Dji can reap what they sow.

Part of the seed was sowed by users themselves, so when the crop fails those who planted them must also reap what they sow.

I do believe we will eventually have a proper working otg system for those who feel they need it.
2017-12-28
Use props
Sjd666 1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3785020 ft
United Kingdom

I found this where dji tell you to use an otg cable to connect to the crystal sky to a spark remote control.
2017-12-28
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sjd666 1 Posted at 2017-12-28 08:38
I found this where dji tell you to use an otg cable to connect to the crystal sky to a spark remote control. [view_image]

LOL and this was posted an hour ago where a DJI Support Tech told someone that the CS isn't compatible.
2017-12-28
Use props
Sjd666 1
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-12-28 08:41
LOL and this was posted an hour ago where a DJI Support Tech told someone that the CS isn't compatible.
[view_image]

I know a bit strange. That’s the message I got off dji support on Facebook lol

2017-12-28
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sjd666 1 Posted at 2017-12-28 08:52
I know a bit strange. That’s the message I got off dji support on Facebook lol
That was me lol

Yes a reply like that is a little alarming,
2017-12-28
Use props
Mildman
lvl.4

United Kingdom

For the past 6 weeks, DJI have been giving inconsistent information in forums, in support emails and through their website on 'future' or 'potential' OTG.   Whether this is incompetance or a planned strtegy, who knows, but they are looking very foolish.

I was fed up of waiting for my Spark to be useable, so as now I now have a hacked/FCC App (4.1.15) which works flawlessly with the latest firmware on Android and OTG.  I still fly within range of the laws in my country but now I have perfect video connection and a lot more confidence.  It's now the drone it says it is on the box.

Shame on you DJI for 'forcing' me down this route... your poor customer support, bad advice, inconsistent stories and deliberate misdirection (IMO) to distract EU Android users, is something that I expect will ensure that DJI never will become a respected organsation.

Despite my budget allowing me to invest in a Mavic Pro, I could not bring myself to spend money with DJI again, so I have purchased Xiaomi Mi 4k, for one third of the price...it can't be worse that my experience with the Spark.

What a disappointing experience from the moment I bought the Spark :-(
2017-12-28
Use props
Sjd666 1
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I would love to go the FCC route but I’ve just purchased a crystal sky so I’m stuck
2017-12-28
Use props
Mildman
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Sjd666 1 Posted at 2017-12-28 09:56
I would love to go the FCC route but I’ve just purchased a crystal sky so I’m stuck

It's an entirely different machine in FCC mode...
2017-12-28
Use props
Sjd666 1
lvl.4
United Kingdom

It sure sounds like it. Plus I have no access to a android device only iOS.
2017-12-28
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't use OTG cable and have no trouble with the Wifi connection. I also have used the Crystalsky with Wifi and it works fine.
2017-12-28
Use props
djiuser_mxp7X0b
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5272 ft
United Kingdom

Aeromirage Posted at 2017-12-28 10:23
I don't use OTG cable and have no trouble with the Wifi connection. I also have used the Crystalsky with Wifi and it works fine.

Make yourself a sandwich and sit this one out then homeboy
2017-12-28
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_mxp7X0b Posted at 2017-12-28 11:21
Make yourself a sandwich and sit this one out then homeboy

Wow... why the hostility??
2017-12-28
Use props
Vyborny83
lvl.4
Flight distance : 166014 ft
Czechia

I don't believe it was ment hosile. It's just that the problem everybody is talking about concerns european customers only (different regulations ...). So it is kinda understandable that you have no problems at all ;).
2017-12-28
Use props
Lis Morris
lvl.2
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-28 08:22
Part of the seed was sowed by users themselves, so when the crop fails those who planted them must also reap what they sow.

I do believe we will eventually have a proper working otg system for those who feel they need it.

@Hallmark that is my hope and my gut instinct too. I do think this whole thing is more a mistake that deliberate. What I meant by my comment was that *if* it's never fixed, *then* I'd not buy another DJI product. If it is fixed, then I will get that Mavic Platinum I am lusting after .

I believe that when it comes to market forces, the best way to be heard is to vote with your wallet.

For now...I look forward to the OTG problem being fixed. Simples.
2017-12-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Lis Morris Posted at 2017-12-28 12:32
@Hallmark that is my hope and my gut instinct too. I do think this whole thing is more a mistake that deliberate. What I meant by my comment was that *if* it's never fixed, *then* I'd not buy another DJI product. If it is fixed, then I will get that Mavic Platinum I am lusting after .

I believe that when it comes to market forces, the best way to be heard is to vote with your wallet.

I fully agree but it’s just not possible to find drones out there to match price and tech that dji drones have.
No problems with Mavic pro.
2017-12-28
Use props
D-r-o-n-e
lvl.2
United States

Maybe DJI has perfected the wifi and everything However Over the years I have seen one thing that cable connection over wireless have almost always have been far superior and better in everyway. I think DJI should have an option for end users to choose if they want to use wifi or cable. And lookin at the poles it will make both parties happy and All the customers will leave with a smile on there face. So common dji make it happen please.
2017-12-28
Use props
ArnoSpark
Second Officer
Kenya

Mildman Posted at 2017-12-28 09:30
For the past 6 weeks, DJI have been giving inconsistent information in forums, in support emails and through their website on 'future' or 'potential' OTG.   Whether this is incompetance or a planned strtegy, who knows, but they are looking very foolish.

I was fed up of waiting for my Spark to be useable, so as now I now have a hacked/FCC App (4.1.15) which works flawlessly with the latest firmware on Android and OTG.  I still fly within range of the laws in my country but now I have perfect video connection and a lot more confidence.  It's now the drone it says it is on the box.

Is this version is different than the Mirror APK version? and where to get this one  from?
2017-12-28
Use props
djiuser_VeQ7bFM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 32500 ft
Thailand

I will keep spark as my first and last drone i wont buy any more dji product due to they disappointed me as soon as they release firmware which make spark unusable completely they might do in future until then i have no more reason to keep it.
2017-12-29
Use props
AKdroneflier
lvl.2
United States

I’m relatively new to the dji forum, but I’ve been happily flying a dji Phantom 1 for several years.  As a licensed, but no longer flying, FAA Private Pilot - single engine land and seaplane rated, and I recently got interested in the FPV flying experience as a “substitute” for the flying that I was missing.  I just got the dji Racing Edition Goggles and Ocusync Air unit. I plan on a Mavic Pro eventually, but I decided to buy a Spark to practice the FPV flying with first.  After reading all 4 pages of this post, I’m confused and wondering if I made a bad decision?  Is this OTG cable issue going to affect me? I ordered the “fly more combo” intending to hook the RC to the Goggles RE, and fly that way without my iPhone 6+,... maybe I should have just gone for the Mavic?
2017-12-29
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

AKdroneflier Posted at 2017-12-29 11:22
I’m relatively new to the dji forum, but I’ve been happily flying a dji Phantom 1 for several years.  As a licensed, but no longer flying, FAA Private Pilot - single engine land and seaplane rated, and I recently got interested in the FPV flying experience as a “substitute” for the flying that I was missing.  I just got the dji Racing Edition Goggles and Ocusync Air unit. I plan on a Mavic Pro eventually, but I decided to buy a Spark to practice the FPV flying with first.  After reading all 4 pages of this post, I’m confused and wondering if I made a bad decision?  Is this OTG cable issue going to affect me? I ordered the “fly more combo” intending to hook the RC to the Goggles RE, and fly that way without my iPhone 6+,... maybe I should have just gone for the Mavic?

Should have got the Mavic if you have the extra$
2017-12-29
Use props
AKdroneflier
lvl.2
United States

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-12-29 11:25
Should have got the Mavic if you have the extra$

Well I went back and forth on it for a couple weeks during the holiday sale, but I wanted the Mavic Pro Platinum (for quieter operation) and dji never offered that one with fly more combo for a sale deal similar to the standard one,... so I decided to spend half as much on the Spark setup and risk less $ while I learn the FPV goggle flying.  I know that the Mavic is a far more capable photography drone,.. my question now is whether the Spark is going to perform as advertised with the RC cabled to the Racing Edition Goggles?
2017-12-29
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

AKdroneflier Posted at 2017-12-29 11:55
Well I went back and forth on it for a couple weeks during the holiday sale, but I wanted the Mavic Pro Platinum (for quieter operation) and dji never offered that one with fly more combo for a sale deal similar to the standard one,... so I decided to spend half as much on the Spark setup and risk less $ while I learn the FPV goggle flying.  I know that the Mavic is a far more capable photography drone,.. my question now is whether the Spark is going to perform as advertised with the RC cabled to the Racing Edition Goggles?

Well the term "as advertised" is a very broad statement.  I'm sure that you've read some of the threads on this forum.  Mind you that there are many that are more than content with the Spark.  I personally don't have any/many issues, but I also don't trust it anywhere near as much as I trust my Mavic.
2017-12-29
Use props
Boedie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29639 ft
Netherlands

Arcicorsa Posted at 2017-12-21 07:36
If they not repair OTG or WiFi for EU users I will return Spark... In EU is Spark rubbish now..

I agree in Europe the Spark is rubbish!
2017-12-29
Use props
Boedie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29639 ft
Netherlands

JMR58 Posted at 2017-12-22 08:52
Belgium, other side of the Channel

My range with OTG was 750 meters in the Netherlands!
That is the difference. After 730 meters it got choppy and with 750 it died and came back.
2017-12-29
Use props
Flighty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Austria

Guys,, I fly with OTG, and sometimes with Wi FI. I use Android, Samsung S6 or my Ipad!!. I have some great flights with good distance and vision, and then sometime I have interference and a quick RTH.. However I love my Spark and regardless of the Poll I will keep flying, in the mountains or in the city....
2017-12-29
Use props
CloudKicker
lvl.1
Flight distance : 25522 ft
Australia

my OTG still works BUT,
1. i dont get any on screens info for satelites, altitude, distance from home point or spark battery level.
2. You cannot set the battery level warning it is locked on '0'. so i am currently limiting my flight time to 10 mins to be safe
3.return to home point can be set but doesnt work when you push return to home during flight.
4. you can push the button on your mobile device to take off but when you want to land the button is 'greyed out' and cannot be used. you must manually land.

i tried WIFI connection to the REMOTE and all of the above problems are solved, all information can be displayed as it should.  I have not been game to take the drone too far as yet as i have read many stories regarding fly offs...

QUESTION: is the range different when you connect to the remote via wifi rather than the otg? or is it a wifi connection issue of it dropping out?

im not sure weather people are getting confused connecting their SPARK via wifi to their phone instead of connecting their remote to their spark and the their phone to the remote via wifi and that is what is causing the issue?

either way it would be great if the OTG problem is fixed.  It is dangerous to suddenly take off a feature like OTG with the latest update. i had no idea that i wouldnt have any altitude or battery info until i was mid flight...  i generally wait for the low battery warning and then i land but i didnt get that at all, this needs to be fixed asap
2017-12-29
Use props
fansd1103334
lvl.2
Flight distance : 271575 ft
Argentina

I may get an old phathom 3 anyway work or not, i will test the wifi without the otg and see whats up.
2017-12-29
Use props
Serdoura
lvl.1
Flight distance : 274783 ft
Portugal

Guys.
The Spark is my 3 DJI drone.
Ive had the P3s, the Mavic and now i have the little SPark.
I am constantly searching for these kind of information.
Not because of the flame, but because i truly need better info about the Spark.
I get connection and feed issues even at 20 m with the RC..
I mostly firm on the beach and i cant get more than 250 m range without a RTH.

So, plz keep the info flowing.

Nuno
2017-12-30
Use props
Vyborny83
lvl.4
Flight distance : 166014 ft
Czechia

CloudKicker Posted at 2017-12-29 15:06
my OTG still works BUT,
1. i dont get any on screens info for satelites, altitude, distance from home point or spark battery level.
2. You cannot set the battery level warning it is locked on '0'. so i am currently limiting my flight time to 10 mins to be safe

Yes, the OTG still somewhat works with the newer versions of DJI GO 4, but because it does not show the crucial flight data (including remaining baterry time) it became useless.

The reason why you don't see the difference between the OTG cable and WiFi is because you are in Australia. The problem everybody is talking about (including me) concerns the Europe because most of the phones used here can't use the 5,8GHz band and we are stuck with very limited range via WiFi only connection (about 50m max in my case compared to 400m via OTG cable). This is due to much more strict regulations in Europe. And that's why I still use DJI GO 4 4.1.14 that shows all the data even through OTG cable (version 4.1.15 works as well).
2017-12-30
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, because the Spark is never offered to fly with the OTG cable.  
2017-12-30
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-12-30 05:28
Yes, because the Spark is never offered to fly with the OTG cable.

Well stated.  The better title for this thread should be, "Will you keep you Spark if the WIFI issues aren't resolved?"
2017-12-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules