791 8 2017-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aeromirage
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

I tested RTH with my new Platinum tonight and was amazed at the accuracy.
Landed about 18 inches from take off spot.

RTH

RTH
2017-12-19
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

I think it is a great one, for the precision landing, a small deviation is permitted. Thank you for sharing your flight.
2017-12-19
Use props
LSessions
lvl.4
Flight distance : 771440 ft
United States

When my Mavic was new, out of the box, I could count on the RTH spot being within 6 to 12 inches. After a month or two of flying, now the accuracy is about four or five feet. I've had to intercede occasionally to keep my Mavic from landing in a problem area.

Any ideas why this might be happening?
2017-12-26
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have owned the MP and now own the Platinum and always an exceptional RTH.  I think it helps when you let it take of precisely and let it hover for about 10 secs.
2017-12-26
Use props
LeeG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 169281 ft
United States

LSessions Posted at 2017-12-26 22:28
When my Mavic was new, out of the box, I could count on the RTH spot being within 6 to 12 inches. After a month or two of flying, now the accuracy is about four or five feet. I've had to intercede occasionally to keep my Mavic from landing in a problem area.

Any ideas why this might be happening?

I see this as well. It is now far enough away that I need to override and do a manual landing. As much as a few yards.

I don't fully understand home point identification. I have heard many talk about the drone taking a downward image of some sort as the home point is updated. Yet that doesn't seem to matter at all. If this happens, how exactly is this home point snapshot utilized in guiding the MA2 to it's original take off point?

I wonder if the drift in accuracy could point to the need to re-calibrate the compass?
2020-10-5
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

LeeG Posted at 10-5 13:55
I see this as well. It is now far enough away that I need to override and do a manual landing. As much as a few yards.

I don't fully understand home point identification. I have heard many talk about the drone taking a downward image of some sort as the home point is updated. Yet that doesn't seem to matter at all. If this happens, how exactly is this home point snapshot utilized in guiding the MA2 to it's original take off point?

Yes it does take a photo of the ground below. But I have found that it is necessary to hover the MA2, not at a specific height as suggested, but above most of the surrounding objects, like trees and bushes and walls. If I don't do that, it comes back out of place and I have to correct on the way down. And by the way, use of a landing pad makes a lot of difference.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=218580
2020-10-6
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

No, because the compass has absolutely nothing to do with where it lands.
2020-10-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Your drone can use the Precision Landing feature or it can just use GPS for RTH guidance.
If your RTH isn't landing within a couple of inches, it's not using Precision Landing.
GPS alone might place your drone within a couple of feet or sometimes a couple of yards.
That's the nature of GPS technology.

Check your manual for details of the Precision Landing feature.
2020-10-6
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Lee,

Precision Landing (PL) is activated when a craft does a only vertical take-off and craft is stopped at approx 7 meter height ** and stopped for a while.   
A scan is made of the terrain and stored.  [ ** MA2 value ]
RTH uses compass and GPS to fly back above the HomePoint coordinates, PL activated or PL not activated.
Due to the sometimes not very accurate GPS data craft is not always exact above the take-off spot, but in my flights (always good GPS data and reception) never really far form the take-off spot (few inches to max 10 inches)

With PL activated it will scan the terrain during landing and if it matches to the stored scan than, if nessesary, craft will adjust its position to perform a precision landing.
A message on the screen does inform the user that craft is making a precision landing correction.Message in the log =  "Precision Landing__Correcting Landing Position", cannot find a screenshot (yet) how this message is seen in the app.

EDIT just checked in the flyapp on my MA2, it does perform a precision landing but no messages on the screen and no correction messages in the log

Note
- When during flight HP is set to a new postion, PL will not work as the stored image will not match the terrain of the new HP.
- Important is that the terrain must have sufficiently distinctive features.

2 examples, MA and P4prof (using GoApp not FlyApp)

cheers
JJB

PL.png
PL P4prof.png
2020-10-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules