Spark malfunction and crash
2863 10 2017-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
josh holdren
New
Flight distance : 5489 ft
United States

Hi my name is josh. I’m sending my drone in because I believe there was a major malfunction. The first sign of a defect with the drone was that when setting up the drone with the controller, the controller did not connect automatically with the drone even though I bought the fly more combo. So I did what the app told me and turned the drone and the controller on. I held the power button of the drone for three seconds and listened for beep. Nothing. I have several witnesses as I set it up on thanksgiving with my family(besides the point) I had to retry putting the drone into syncing mode multiple times, turning the drone on and off and holding the power button down only to hear nothing. Eventually I got it to work. Then for every flight I have ever done I had to do this process of turning the drone on and off to connect it with the controller. At first I didn't think this was a problem because all my flights were flawless. No crashes, no errors, no disconnecting. However it was very annoying to deal with but I was very pleased with the capabilities of the drone and I loved the footage I was getting. I went on a total of 27 flights( all flights don't show on dji app because I got a new phone and kept switching devices without knowing about syncing my flights.) before my drone crashed. So i'm pretty confident to say I could fly fairly well( again I had never crashed it.)
        The day it crashed. I was in a very open field with no wind on a clear sunny day. I flew the drone about 500ft away then turned and fly at about a 60 degree angle towards a building. I positioned the drone about 40 yards in front of the building. The shot I wanted would have the drone rising so that the building would reveal the landscape. So I adjusted the drone so more. I moved the gimbal down so that I could see the ground to make sure nothing was below me that would cause the drone to crash. I moved the gimbal back up to face the building and I took a second to think and pushed up on the left analog stick to increase the drones altitude. Right when I did that the drone lost connection. I immediately pressed the return to home button on the controller and it started to beep indicating it was coming home. The drone was still at half battery so it should have just stayed in place until the signal was connected again. Wrong. Me and my friend that was with me walked over to the building after about 20 minutes of waiting and looking for the drone in the air to see if it would return home. We went to the exact place the drone was before it disconnected by re watching the video. After looking all around we determined that it must have flown forwards onto the balcony of the building(the video we had was only recorded up to the point of disconnection). The drone was retrieved by the building security thank goodness. The drone was all messed up(i put everything the security guard gave back to me in the box, the only thing I attached to the drone were the landing gear and the propeller guards, the security guard did not give back the landing gear. I then went onto my computer to try and look at the original video to see what happened but the file was corrupted (i put the three files that were added to the sd card in the dropbox I made). By some miracle I checked the file again the next day and I could watch the mp4 file and it had 4 more second on it than the video that was recorded on my phone during flight. The recovered video shows that the drone flew forwards but the video cuts out before it actually hits anything.
        Things I find suspicious. Return to home was on but didn't come home. The linking malfunction with the drone. The battery percentage was still good for another 6 or so minutes when the drone disconnected. I was out of range or too high so I should have had good connection plus I have flown it way further before. The collision sensors on the front of the drone did nothing to stop it from flying straight into the building and I had the sensors turned on while flying. The files were corrupted at first when trying to view them.
        I apologize for ranting i just want you guys to know the whole story and i'm also pretty frustrated because i've only had it for like a week and i'm going to florida this weekend and want to film so really cool shots. I hope we can resolve this situation correctly. Thank you.

2017-12-19
Use props
Lyons90
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164528 ft
Australia

Sorry to hear.
If you would like your flight log analysed here, upload to http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/ and post back with the link
2017-12-19
Use props
MsRange30
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11281079 ft
United States

I think it’s the DJI Go App. I’m realizing that I am having similar issues which is why I keep my dji spark very close to my home location. I hope dji will solve your problem and that they replace your drone for free. Of course if it wasn’t your fault. Good luck and keep us posted.
2017-12-19
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, Josh. I am sorry for the crash. Did you contact our support and start a case? If not, here is the link: http://www.dji.com/support . Please provide the flight records to our support and we will help you locate the problem. Thanks for your help.
2017-12-19
Use props
djiuser_dVBRfWI
lvl.1
Flight distance : 151460 ft
Italy

I had the same problem with a brand new Mavic Platinum. 24h. Brand new. A bit of wind. It said fly with caution. I did bring the drone down but the wind was pulling it away without me touching it. Spark was more stable to fair.  When 980m from me it disconnected. Nearly full battery. RTH failed to trigger drone got lost. They said it's not malfunctioning but I shouldn't take it out with severe weather conditions. 17 degrees and sunny ahahahahah they are a joke. 15%. I will charge it back from my bank and proceed with legal action. Ridiculous.
2017-12-27
Use props
djiuser_dVBRfWI
lvl.1
Flight distance : 151460 ft
Italy

I had the same problem with a brand new Mavic Platinum. 24h. Brand new. A bit of wind. It said fly with caution. I did bring the drone down but the wind was pulling it away without me touching it. Spark was more stable to fair.  When 980m from me it disconnected. Nearly full battery. RTH failed to trigger drone got lost. They said it's not malfunctioning but I shouldn't take it out with severe weather conditions. 17 degrees and sunny ahahahahah they are a joke. 15%. I will charge it back from my bank and proceed with legal action. Ridiculous.
2017-12-27
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

the first thing to ensure while take off is check whether the home point was updated
secondly did you fix your propellers correctly.
Third, did you calibrate your compass or imu recently
2017-12-27
Use props
Jaik Tom
lvl.1

India

A similar thing happened to me today I was flying my 2 month old dji spark and without any fault from my side it suddenly disconnected and crashed I came to a understanding it is a software issue as my drone had enough charge and was within range now my drone is broken i would like to know if there’s anyway it can be replaced I have attached my flight record below
2019-5-31
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Small battery latches are going around the market.  Some of the small latches come w/ the Fly more Combo.
2019-5-31
Use props
Jaik Tom
lvl.1

India

AntDX316 Posted at 5-31 23:26
Small battery latches are going around the market.  Some of the small latches come w/ the Fly more Combo.

Do you know if I will get it replaced???
2019-6-1
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jaik Tom Posted at 6-1 02:42
Do you know if I will get it replaced???

I have no idea.  The small battery latches should be recalled or it would fall on our heads.  I would lose my mind if I had those issues but when I got into the DJI drones after doing custom in 2013-2015 late March 2019 I had the big clips.  I didn't even know small latches even existed until I saw the forums.

I was losing my mind when I had Compass 2 Disconnected (P4P V2.0) out of the box thinking it was the lack of RTK but people were saying to return it so the seller swapped me another one that is flawless.  I was going to open it trying to find the wire to put it back but reconsidered.
2019-6-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules