Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
external power bank
1159 20 2017-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stefgo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5081736 ft
France

Hy

I've got 2 external power bank and I want to use them to charge my P4 pro battery in the field.
How can I do ? (conectors etc.)

batterie-externe-ordinateur-universelle-20000mah.jpg
2017-12-19
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

You can use a 12 volt adapter like this one 20171220_170809.jpg
2017-12-19
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

I doubt you can charge directly from the power bank tho
2017-12-19
Use props
stefgo
lvl.4
France

Hellsgate Posted at 2017-12-19 23:09
You can use a 12 volt adapter like this one[view_image]

Yes I've got one, but how to connect the car charger to the power bank ?
2017-12-20
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

Hellsgate Posted at 2017-12-19 23:09
You can use a 12 volt adapter like this one[view_image]

The so called Power banks usually deliver the typical USB 5.1 V at 2 A max... you can't connect a car's lighter plug to it because it is made to transform the car's battery power (12V, at the battery's amperage)  to what is needed to charge a DJI battery (which is far more than you can draw from a USB-rated power supply...  imho.
2017-12-20
Use props
Toorboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 657382 ft
United Kingdom

I had this issue last year stefgo and had to buy a petrol generator to do the job
2017-12-20
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

The Power Bank shown in OP's post has up to 19V on the labelling ...

But at 2000mAh - its not suitable anyway regardless of connector or how many of them you have.

Best to just invest in a car charger.
What I do carry a power bank for though is any USB charged item I have ... camera, SS3, tablet, phone etc.

Nigel
2017-12-20
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

At 89.2wh for the Phantom 5870mah battery, I don't think you would get even one charge out of 2000mah power  bank (70wh) even if you could connect it and get the right voltage running
I have tried with my Omnicharge 20 running the DJI ac charger, but it's just easier carrying an extra battery
2017-12-20
Use props
Alan1978
lvl.1
Flight distance : 86070 ft
United Kingdom

eBay sell usb to 12v cigar lighter sockets.  No idea if they work. And it looks like his power bank is 20000.  Should get 2 or 3 charges from it.
2017-12-22
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Alan1978 Posted at 2017-12-22 12:48
eBay sell usb to 12v cigar lighter sockets.  No idea if they work. And it looks like his power bank is 20000.  Should get 2 or 3 charges from it.

Still won't work, the DJI batteries require a 17.5 volt supply to charge them.
2017-12-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I bought four intelligent flight batteries, and a second OEM DJI 100w charger, to keep my flight kit optimally and readily charged.

It just made sense to me, that I would appreciate cutting my flight pack charging time in half. ;-)
I also enjoy being allowed to charge both a flight pack, and my RC battery at once. Using both chargers.

RedHotPoker

2017-12-22
Use props
stefgo
lvl.4
France

I've Got 4 flight batteries and a 2 cars chargers (because I've got to cars plugs in my car) but I'm going to Kamchatka and I'll climb volcanos and I'll need more than 4 batteries in the fils so I need an external power bank to charge batteries in my bag pack or in my pocket.
What can I do ?
2017-12-23
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

stefgo Posted at 2017-12-23 08:41
I've Got 4 flight batteries and a 2 cars chargers (because I've got to cars plugs in my car) but I'm going to Kamchatka and I'll climb volcanos and I'll need more than 4 batteries in the fils so I need an external power bank to charge batteries in my bag pack or in my pocket.
What can I do ?

A LiFePO4 car battery? A 20 Ah would weigh around 6 lbs or 3 kilos and cost around 200 euros.
2017-12-23
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

stefgo Posted at 2017-12-23 08:41
What can I do ?

I would get more batteries, they only weigh 0.5kg each, while a battery pack that give 4 charges will weigh 3.3kg and you would have to wait for it to 70 mins charge as well, while a battery will be ready to go straight away.

Here is the battery pack option

https://myenergen.com/shop/drone ... y-charging-station/

2017-12-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Aside from the OEM  DJI charging stations, this is my ultimate goal...
https://smartpowercharge.com/proddetail.php?prod=SPCP3
image.jpeg

RedHotPoker
2017-12-23
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

This toy will not do you any good, indeed. The best option for your Kamchatka expedition is described in post #14. You'll have total 8 batteries worth flying up there, but consider some time loss due to low temperatures and thin air. Advice: buy the power bank way ahead and check it's functionality before packing your stuff.

Anything more than that may require hiring local Koryak tribesman for carrying equipment up the volcano ...
2017-12-23
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

It is all about power density. If you are going to carry all the gear into the site, then you need to consider this. If you are going in via a motor vehicle, then you will have the option to charge your flight batteries from the vehicle. Keep in mind the makers of the power banks either lie about capacity or stretch the truth. To describe the power bank as 20000 mAH capacity is designed to suck you in, the normal, and accepted way to specify the cpacity of a battery is in Ampere Hours, not Milli-Ampere hours. They use this dodgy specification because twenty thousand looks a lot better than 20 Ampere/Hours. Depending upon how much they lie, it might never supply even half of that. And most probably, the quality of the battery in the bank will not be even close the the high spec batteries used by DJI in their flight batteries.

So, even if you manage to up the output of the power bank to the required 17.5 volts to charge the DJI battery, given that you will need to draw approximately 6 amps from the power bank, and the voltage conversion circuitry will probably average about 60% efficiency, you will be lucky to get one battery charged from the power bank.

This has been discussed before on this forum, and there is no simple, easy or convenient answer to the problem. Solar charging has been suggested, but it just does not cut it as you would need a huge array of panels to do the job. The closest solution is one of those small lightweight Honda gasoline generators, because they have very good power density.

But the easiest solution of all is to take extra, fully charged flight batteries with you.

2017-12-23
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-12-23 14:16
Aside from the OEM  DJI charging stations, this is my ultimate goal...
https://smartpowercharge.com/proddetail.php?prod=SPCP3
[view_image]
I think all of the intelligent features of the smart power charge have already been built into th DJI Intelligent battery including load balancing etc.
Not really a portable option unless you have a generator with you
Just get one of these and drive with car window open, at the volcano use the porter as suggested by Matthew.
9.5kg power unlimited and it has a very fitting name for a volcano adventure

41iQ+RyuZYL - Copy.jpg
2017-12-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

lannes Posted at 2017-12-23 18:24
Not really a portable option unless you have a generator with you
Just get one of these and drive with car window open, at the volcano use the porter as suggested by Matthew.
9.5kg power unlimited

I am not traveling to any volcanic eruptions. ;-)

But for home use, that "smart charge", would be my go to charging unit... Is all.

Just mentioning it, in passing. Not for debate or rebuttal. Hahaha

RedHotPoker
2017-12-23
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-12-23 18:36
I am not traveling to any volcanic eruptions. ;-)

But for home use, that "smart charge", would be my go to charging unit... Is all.

I was joking as well, .  I think extra batteries is the best option for the OP
2017-12-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

lannes Posted at 2017-12-23 18:38
I was joking as well, .  I think extra batteries is the best option for the OP

I have four flight packs now, but have room for four more in my Nanuk 945 case... ;-)

Eventually, those extra lonely slots will get filled. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-12-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules