Forced Landing due to Mist = Dropped from 30ft
742 5 2017-12-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chazzw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 665213 ft
United Kingdom

So... had my first "proper" crash today.. and I was LUCKY!

I stopped in the Peak District on my way home today to film a waterfall by the side of the road. There was moderate mist about but nothing I would class as fog. Took off, waited for home point, had a lovely trip along the stream and up the falls and I started to raise the Spark up a little.
At this point I lost control..it continuied to climb even though i was pulling down on the controller, it drifted back to me then started to land! it fell from about 30ft onto the bank of the stream in long grass which luckily broke her fall! The flight log is below. A "Forced Landing" was initiated somehow..

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/DYTXAS1I9ANM9HM9U7A1/

Needless to say even there is the slightest hint of mist she is staying in the bag as of now!

2017-12-20
Use props
jksphoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 114121 ft
United Kingdom

Fog / Mist causes havoc with the sensors. It probably thought it was lower than it actually was hence the landing. . Hopefully your Spark is good for another day.
2017-12-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Looking at your log it shows only you as controller pushing throttle forward to increase altitude, it never raised by itself.
When it went into Forced Landing this was caused by you pulling back throttle, yes this shouldn’t have happened but if you look at your altitude which was 46.6 ft but VPS was reading .3 metre so it thought is was nearly on the ground , this must have been caused by dirty sensors or they were completely misted , it didn’t land first time most likely because it didn’t trust the ground underneath, however again second time you can see you pulling down on the throttle and this time is when it fell.

Who’s fault was it, it’s hard to say what dji will do about it, we have seen a number of other cases here with people flying in clouds and all of a sudden aircraft falls out of the sky , and these were refused warranty.
Mist is same as rain worse in the fact that it can mist up your sensors and that looks what happened.

Hopefully not to much damage done.
2017-12-20
Use props
Chazzw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 665213 ft
United Kingdom

Luckily no damage was done. Checks it over and moved location to a much clearer spot and she was fine.
I don’t understand though it was climbing whilst I was pulling back...

I’ll put this down to experience. I’m just glad it didn’t land in the water!!
2017-12-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Chazzw Posted at 2017-12-20 15:03
Luckily no damage was done. Checks it over and moved location to a much clearer spot and she was fine.

Well that’s good news.
I’m not to sure if your thinking than when you went 100% throttle down the aircraft never lowered but this is exactly what shows on the logs.
It might be an idea for you to sync your flight in your app and ask a moderator here to get someone to look at it, they do it all the time.
Good luck.
2017-12-20
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Chazzw Posted at 2017-12-20 15:03

Hi, Chazzw. We would not recommend users fly across fogs or mist as it can cause malfunction of drone. Please check the recommended flight environment in our user manual.
flight environment.PNG
2017-12-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules