3638 86 2017-12-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dockater
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

embayweather Posted at 2017-12-23 05:21
I think the question should also be asked as to whether this is done entirely at the instigation of DJI or are they responding to, or being told by, local government departments, that they must have this sort of control or they will not be allowed to sell their drones in the EU or elsewhere. Reading a lot about drone regulations and meetings etc., it is perfectly clear that there is a large degree of pressure from governments to regulate drones in whatever way they can. Not necessarily always a bad thing, and of course perhaps make some money, or save some ,money, on the side too. By asking DJI to implement this quiz may be for just that reason, as to me it seems totally against logic that a company would ground the products they have sold, or otherwise limit their use, as there is no benefit to themselves save for perhaps a reduction in the number of 'drone incidents'. I am not clever enough to know why other drone companies are not able to to this too, perhaps their software/firmware is not of the same standard. I have just got myself a racing drone for Christmas, and that can fly at huge speeds, but I will not have to take a quiz to fly it.
Regulation is vital to avoid accidents and to try and keep idiots from flying these things. Sadly as Genghis has already pointed out the latter will never happen. To do it this way is in my opinion wrong, although I do support the principle behind it. Perhaps it would be better if it were like the Safety 'video' that you can watch at the beginning when firing up the controller, make it optional and perhaps earn DJI points instead.

Hi embayweather, I cannot imagine that the British Government would sanction private Chinese companies to do their policing work. It would be about the same as them asking Porsche to limit their export vehicles to 70 mph top speed. Do have a Happy Christmas.
2017-12-23
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-12-23 03:34
Dockater
Agree...
As I have noted multiple times here I could not agree more with this protest and the reasons for it.

Hi Genghis9, Not much I can say to your post except agree.

Oh and.........

Santa told me he received and read your letter. However, because of the recession and the economic crisis, and the fact that all gift delivery drones are grounded all you are going to get this year is weather. So enjoy it and have a Merry Christmas from Dockater.
2017-12-23
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

embayweather Posted at 2017-12-23 05:21
I think the question should also be asked as to whether this is done entirely at the instigation of DJI or are they responding to, or being told by, local government departments, that they must have this sort of control or they will not be allowed to sell their drones in the EU or elsewhere. Reading a lot about drone regulations and meetings etc., it is perfectly clear that there is a large degree of pressure from governments to regulate drones in whatever way they can. Not necessarily always a bad thing, and of course perhaps make some money, or save some ,money, on the side too. By asking DJI to implement this quiz may be for just that reason, as to me it seems totally against logic that a company would ground the products they have sold, or otherwise limit their use, as there is no benefit to themselves save for perhaps a reduction in the number of 'drone incidents'. I am not clever enough to know why other drone companies are not able to to this too, perhaps their software/firmware is not of the same standard. I have just got myself a racing drone for Christmas, and that can fly at huge speeds, but I will not have to take a quiz to fly it.
Regulation is vital to avoid accidents and to try and keep idiots from flying these things. Sadly as Genghis has already pointed out the latter will never happen. To do it this way is in my opinion wrong, although I do support the principle behind it. Perhaps it would be better if it were like the Safety 'video' that you can watch at the beginning when firing up the controller, make it optional and perhaps earn DJI points instead.

I can agree with your overall premise but only to an extent.
My issue is the full umbrella of what DJI has been doing in this area.  Sure I'm inclined to agree with you, why would a company voluntarily restrict things that could upset their customers.  Well I have two thoughts on that.  First, I don't see the FAA working with a Chicom company to regulate US airspace, if that were the case then you wouldn't have seen the push back from the Army this summer over DJI FW/SW etc.  Meaning I don't see this being a cooperative effort nor a mandate by the FAA, we do have sunshine laws in this country and such things are required to be public, not back room deals.  Next, yes it does not make sense for DJI to do this except there are several factors that do play in to it.  Whenever the lawyers get involved this is how you end up with stuff like this, and to date I'm a firm believer that a lot of this is a way to hedge DJI's liability i.e. protect their bottom line.  Further, their culture is one where customer/individual consideration is not a forefront thought and after purchase they likely feel they have got you, after all they are in the catbird seat when it comes to drones.  Where else can you go, sure you can use some other software but you'll pay for it and there is no guarantee it will always work as you need, as DJI can change that overnight.  All in all, we the customers have limited recourse with these activities and DJI does not seem to be the least bit concerned that this will matter a hill of beans for their continued dominance of the market, and for now they are correct.
Additionally, something to consider is the ever constant adding on of layers to their corporate directed restrictions.  At some point I do think this is going to cause them some headaches.  They have opened a can of worms for themselves that might possibly collapse under its own weight.  Do you know how massively complicated and difficult it is to keep and track all the various rules that each country has and then ensure these little quizzes are correct each time they are instituted, good luck.  Not even the UN can keep track of it, they try but fail.  Just look at DJI's attempt at airspace management, it is and has been forever wrong and outdated almost from the time they update it and again the massive effort to keep track of all those airspaces for each part of the globe is beyond extensive.  From my perspective they are biting off more than they can chew.  Just the manpower needed to cover all these areas has got to be vast, all while they are supposed to be working on FW fixes and corrections (or are they?).  I am no fan of the NSA big brother or DJI big brother period, but as I've noted previous I'm left with little options, but I really would like DJI to STOP the mission creep right here right now, please, enough is enough.
2017-12-23
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Dockater Posted at 2017-12-23 08:36
Hi Genghis9, Not much I can say to your post except agree.

Oh and.........

Thanks Dockater
I'll take what I can get!!!
Merry Christmas to you and yours, God Bless!
2017-12-23
Use props
dayviduk
lvl.4

United Kingdom

No test for me at all , im going for Grandfathers rights
2017-12-23
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

I was actually thinking more along contractual inclusions rather than out and out deception. However, I would not rule out the latter with our government. It is very easy for the government to have included a requirement for such measures in any import licence requirements. Saves them money, but as to the efficacy, having done it, it is of no challenge whatsoever, even for someone who has not had a drone before as it almost tells you the answers.
2017-12-24
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

However, on a happier note, please have a Happy Christmas and a brilliant New Year. May all your flights be long , and all your landings planned.
2017-12-24
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1336581 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I just updated my spark to test this whole quiz thing and it appeared in the app before I did the update so not sure how that works I'm guessing it was always in the most recent version of the app and was perhaps time locked to appear the first time you connect to an aircraft after a certain date.

What is weird aside the awkward updating of the spark combo, is that the quiz has a skip function so I used that and then had a flight? It has a counter in the background that will allow you to skip 4 times but it didn't actually ground me it allowed me to continue with the flight.

Not sure if you re-install the app you get another 4 skips? and is this 4 skips per aircraft, I think for the most part it would be an inconvenience more than anything if you chose to skip and what happens if you use multiple devices ie iPhone, ipad, android etc... is it linked back to your dji profile?

Whilst I don't think its DJI's place to police regulation it isn't a bad idea for newbies I guess, what about if I take the drone to another country to fly do we think it will prompt another quiz based on GPS and the country you are in?
2017-12-25
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I just did the test and its pretty easy! The only thing I can see it perhaps does is bring to peoples attention the limits of the regulations such as 50m for objects (UK) etc... which people might not be aware of I guess so it kinda forces you to take notice which is probably a good thing Ive seen people flying them in parks very close to others and not sure of their piloting skills as they look pretty erratic!

I would be curious to see what would happen if you kept failing it at some point there must be a limit to safe you should not be flying if you cant answer a few simple questions, I think the issue DJI are trying to help with is people might not be aware that there are any rules and play the whole ignorance card, so by doing this DJI are forcing new users to read, the only problem is they cant single out new user over experienced users just because they have already had some stick time, it doesn't mean you are aware or know the rules.

Bit annoying though for PFCO guys unless the PFCO has a licence number to put in to the app that disables the quiz but I'm sure none of them are gonna fail it! Wait for the refresher quiz's if the law changes!
2017-12-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wouldnt be so bad but the Drone Code says only 400ft high, yet that does not apply to hobbiests under 7kg prob change next year but the UK needs to  elaborate on the rules, so many grey areas :/
2017-12-25
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 2017-12-25 07:21
Wouldnt be so bad but the Drone Code says only 400ft high, yet that does not apply to hobbiests under 7kg  prob change next year but the UK needs to  elaborate on the rules, so many grey areas :/

Agree I think its in the early stages though so bit of a learning curve for them
2017-12-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Wouldnt be so bad but the Drone Code says only 400ft high, yet that does not apply to hobbiests under 7kg  prob change next year but the UK needs to  elaborate on the rules, so many grey areas :/

the Drone Code says only 400ft high, yet that does not apply to hobbiests under 7kg
Good luck explaining to the CAA that the rules don't apply if your drone is under 7 kg.
The Drone Code seems prety unambiguous.
http://dronesafe.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Dronecode.pdf
Maybe that's because the 400 ft altitude limit applies to hobbyists flying <7kg machines.
2017-12-25
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wouldnt be so bad but the Drone Code says only 400ft high, yet that does not apply to hobbiests under 7kg  prob change next year but the UK needs to  elaborate on the rules, so many grey areas :/

Stick with the drone code and there shouldn't be any problems, it is the simplified unambiguous version of the rules for the hobbyist.
2017-12-25
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Most airfields have circuit heights of 1000 ft and can be reduced if the weather is bad, military can fly at 500 ft so we would want to mess with them manned or unmanned, its tricky as 400 ft with say a phantom or mavic is its pretty tricky to see them due to there size unless you attach a really good strobe.

My rule of thumb is always scan the sky around you as light aircraft will struggle to see you hovering and always reduce height once you see one, just in case they are on a descent of maybe practicing PFL (practice forced landings) where they could drop lower than 400 ft as part of the drill (only in class G airspace mind)

We are all pilots and should treat the sky according to the laws and always be on the look out when in the air, in a manned aircraft we do a HASELL check at regular intervals, now some of it doesn't work for a drone but then some of it does. Think of your self as a pilot (PIC) regardless of the type of ship you are in charge of and you cant go far wrong (drones are just a lot cheaper to fly than an R44!)

I think the difference is that drones are still considered like a gadget or toy but we still operate in airspace as long as we stay under the normal height that manned aircraft use we should and just don't fly near airfields commercial or private, I'm in the south and if I was to exercise the limit of 400 ft I'm pretty sure there are places where light aircraft (paragliders, and balloons) could come into contact quite easily.

But as others have said there is no test in the world that will stop idiots being idiots (I was cut up in the air by a guy in a Cessna 172 when I was on my final approach in an R44 mainly because he thought he was more important than me! Which proves that point as he was licenced).

2017-12-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

All i can say to the above is, you can hear planes, pg's, choppers coming from a mile off and more (cept for balloons even though when their burners go, you can still hear them from a long way out, if and when i ever hear one come during my flight, i would always bring it down, even if there is doubt  as to which direction its coming/going, its all down to common sense, also, i use the Cree Strobon's they are fairly bright ;)

PS, i should mention, i see no reason to exceed the 120m, i brought it up just to show that the code is not entirely accurate, and does explain why many flout the 400ft code rule, above all, it is just a rule anyway.
2017-12-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2017-12-25 15:31
the Drone Code says only 400ft high, yet that does not apply to hobbiests under 7kg
Good luck explaining to the CAA that the rules don't apply if your drone is under 7 kg.
The Drone Code seems prety unambiguous.

Maybe that's because the 400 ft altitude limit applies to hobbyists flying <7kg machines.

No, > 7kg limit to 400ft, also as long as its within VLOS and with a spotter up to 1000m

These laws are apt to change next spring, but in the drone code 400ft is  just a rule.

https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/ ... onal-drone-flights/
2017-12-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 2017-12-25 21:52
[/td][/tr]
[/table]
No, > 7kg limit to 400ft, also as long as its within VLOS and with a spotter up to 1000m

I can't find anything to say that you are exempt from the usual rules if your drone is <7kg.
The closest I see is that above 7kg, additional rules apply.
The Dronecode makes it pretty clear that the rule is 400 feet.
Can you point to something that specifiically says you can exceed 400 ft?
2017-12-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You asked, i showed you, it simply states over 7kg  cannot go over 400ft, I had this with licensed user on a UK fb page and they too agreed,  its there in black and white, and the operative word in your reply is RULE, not law, but rule, my UAV is less than 7kg, so i interpret that as allowable over 400ft, why do you think the UK will be changing the laws next year, to cover these grey areas and thats what they are, grey areas because they are not definitive and open to interpretation. Now, if you want to keep picking then carry on, iv'e said my part, we can always do the 10 rounds and to whos right and whos wrong (again) but, black and white is black and white, so on that note, im out.
2017-12-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 2017-12-25 22:24
You asked, i showed you, it simply states over 7kg  cannot go over 400ft, I had this with licensed user on a UK fb page and they too agreed,  its there in black and white, and the operative word in your reply is RULE, not law, but rule, my UAV is less than 7kg, so i interpret that as allowable over 400ft, why do you think the UK will be changing the laws next year, to cover these grey areas and thats what they are, grey areas because they are not definitive and open to interpretation. Now, if you want to keep picking then carry on, iv'e said my part, we can always do the 10 rounds and to whos right and whos wrong (again) but, black and white is black and white, so on that note, im out.

OK ... nothing specifically saying that you are exempt from  the 400 ft altitude limit  as per the Dronecode.
Just your own interpretation.
And since the Dronecode is quite clear about it, with no mention of any special limits applying to <7kg drones, any other Britiish flyers would be advised to take no notice of your interpretation.
2017-12-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Please refer back to here, have a nice day
2017-12-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 2017-12-25 22:47
Please refer back to here, have a nice day

Do whatever you like and ignore the rules but I wasn't posting or your benefit.
There are lots of new Phantom owners at this time of the year looking or help and information.
They can find the rules they need to be aware of flying in Britain here:
https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/ ... onal-drone-flights/
2017-12-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2017-12-25 22:55
Do whatever you like and ignore the rules but I wasn't posting or your benefit.
There are lots of new Phantom owners at this time of the year looking or help and information.
They can find the rules they need to be aware of flying in Britain here:

Look, not once did i say i wanted to fly over 400, i have a limit set at 120m in the app, i am saying that we can if we wanted to and youve just posted the very same link i gave you that states this too, if its over 7kg you must keep below 400ft, most consumer, prosumer (phantoms etc) are well under 7kg

You just keep nit picking for the sake of it, i am stating facts, its what it says in the link you just posted (same as mine) If its interpreted wrongly, thats not our fault, thats what it says in black and white, surely it should say drones under 250g <400ft but it does not and this is what WILL be changed in spring of 2018, until then we would not be breaking the law.
2017-12-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 2017-12-25 23:08
Look, not once did i say i wanted to fly over 400, i have a limit set at 120m in the app, i am saying that we can if we wanted to and youve just posted the very same link i gave you that states this too, if its over 7kg you must keep below 400ft, most consumer, prosumer (phantoms etc) are well under 7kg

You just keep nit picking for the sake of it, i am stating facts, its what it says in the link you just posted (same as mine) If its interpreted wrongly, thats not our fault, thats what it says in black and white, surely it should say drones under 250g

You just keep nit picking for the sake of it, i am stating facts,
No .. you are posting your interpretation and it took a while to find that out
I asked for any source that specifically says you can fly higher than 400 ft and you haven't come with anything.
2017-12-26
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes i did, im done debating the fact, have a nice day
2017-12-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 2017-12-26 00:09
Yes i did, im done debating the fact, have a nice day

No ... you just say you did but still haven't provided anything to show that you can ignore what the Dronecode clearly says - 400 ft is the altitude limit for drones in Britain.
Don't bother replying .. it's clear that you have difficulty with comprehension and don't understand what I'm saying.
2017-12-26
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hey chap, its my thread, please do not tell me what to do on it, you do realise that if there is something you dont like on the internet, you dont have to reply, you can just move on to your next victim, also, you have not provided evidence to back up yours either and do not say the drone code, only part is covered by law any way, you evidently have a great disliking to me, i get that, and happy with that, that is your choice, but please, do not bring my thread in to disrepute. Just walk away, also, i would prefer it if you would not reply to any of my threads or posts in future, its  a polite request, and i would like you to honour it, thank you and good day sir.
2017-12-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 2017-12-26 01:22
Hey chap, its my thread, please do not tell me what to do on it, you do realise that if there is something you dont like on the internet, you dont have to reply, you can just move on to your next victim, also, you have not provided evidence to back up yours either and do not say the drone code, only part is covered by law any way, you evidently have a great disliking to me, i get that, and happy with that, that is your choice, but please, do not bring my thread in to disrepute. Just walk away, also, i would prefer it if you would not reply to any of my threads or posts in future, its  a polite request, and i would like you to honour it, thank you and good day sir.

Politely request all you like, but you don't own any  thread here or get to say who can and can't respond.
2017-12-26
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Seriously, thats hypocritical considering it was you who told be not to lol
2017-12-26
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The reference to flying up to 1000 feet in FPV mode is mentioned in the British Model Flying Association guidance on FPV flying Here.

And the CAA exemption it is referring to which was published 28th April 2017 Here

2017-12-26
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great spot Ive been trying to find that too! If trying to reach these heights in class G airspace one would have to be careful as all manned aircraft will use the QNH pressure reading for that day which allows them to set the Altimeter to display the correct altitude based on the current air pressure readings, not sure how you calibrate a drone for this unless the gps does this based on some readings whilst it probably isn't a massive problem but difference in height on a hot or cold day can be a few hundred feet so with the British climate you might be maxing out at a height where aircraft a operating in the summer. https://www.sensorsone.com/altitude-pressure-units-conversion/ as the pressure drops (cold weather you effectively increase in height as the air is more dense and you get more lift and vice versa).

I just did the test again when connecting to the mavic pp and they were the same questions and seem pretty obvious to answer.

Anyway its Christmas so lets all say cheers and be merry
2017-12-26
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fanse3badb5d Posted at 2017-12-22 11:30
I doubt you will be required to do the new test if you already have PFCO

The point is that they are charging more to renew the licence in the UK as of next year. Many if not all licence holders in the UK are not happy at all, and I can't blame them.
2017-12-26
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

embayweather Posted at 2017-12-23 05:48
PS Just updated my Spark firmware and lo and behold the Quiz is there.

Anyone know what happens when little Timmy gets all the questions wrong on starting his Xmas present up to fly......??
2017-12-26
Use props
Electro-Nick
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5989180 ft
United Kingdom

The drone code guide of 400ft is just a guide, not a strict law.  

For the law, you need to look at CAP393,  the UK AIr Navigation Order 2016, for the appropriate info, Specifically sections 94 and 95. And (as of Dec 2017)  there is no explicit rule restricting you to 400ft if you are sub 7kg. Having said that, you could easily be breaking the ANO and flying under  400ft in many instances.... why....? Because the 'catch-all' gotcha is that the drone pilot must keep their drone in unaided visual line of sight of the pilot at all times, enough to ensure that the flight an be conducted safely and without danger to others, either on the ground or in the air.   So, if you are flying and cannot clearly see your drone or judge distances/clearances from other air users or structural items, then you are not meeting the ANO. The smaller the drone, the lower the height and distance before you lose unaided line of sight with it! Yes, you can go higher with a spotter and fpv, but you can also go higher without.... so long as you can see the drone and safely manoeuvre it with regard to other air users and not endanger them.
If you read & study  the UK Airprox reports, then you will get a greater appreciation for where the authorities are drawing the limits regards heights, and who they regard as at fault during airprox incidents

The reality is that 400ft is more than enough for something small and white like a Phantom, and certainly a Spark! Something bigger like an Inspire, Matrice or M600 could potentially still be in VLOS at a greater height, but not that much more.  No, I don't fly at more than 400ft... it's  more than enough for me.
Someone also mentioned military traffic - fixed wing can fly down to 200ft agl  and Helo's down to ground level anywhere in the Uk as pretty much all of uk airspace is part of the military low flying areas. Most weeks I have things like Chinooks, Apaches and Hercs overflying my house and they're often not much more than tree-top height... certainly under 400ft!.
As to the DJI test, it's quite easy... if you can't answer the questions correctly by looking at the bit of paper that was included in the box, or at the drone code website, then honestly... you shouldn't be flying!

2017-12-26
Use props
spikeuk76
lvl.2
Flight distance : 441138 ft
United Kingdom

I agree with electro-nick completely. VLOS at all times keeps me well within the limits. Owners should also know the 150/50/30 rule.

As for the tests on the Dji Go app, you can't fail It! The only out come is you'll be able to fly your drone with the basic understanding of the rules. That's a good thing
2017-12-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

CoreyB10 Posted at 2017-12-26 06:47
Anyone know what happens when little Timmy gets all the questions wrong on starting his Xmas present up to fly......??

He gets to try again until he does get them right
2017-12-26
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Electro-Nick Posted at 2017-12-26 09:34
The drone code guide of 400ft is just a guide, not a strict law.  

For the law, you need to look at CAP393,  the UK AIr Navigation Order 2016, for the appropriate info, Specifically sections 94 and 95. And (as of Dec 2017)  there is no explicit rule restricting you to 400ft if you are sub 7kg. Having said that, you could easily be breaking the ANO and flying under  400ft in many instances.... why....? Because the 'catch-all' gotcha is that the drone pilot must keep their drone in unaided visual line of sight of the pilot at all times, enough to ensure that the flight an be conducted safely and without danger to others, either on the ground or in the air.   So, if you are flying and cannot clearly see your drone or judge distances/clearances from other air users or structural items, then you are not meeting the ANO. The smaller the drone, the lower the height and distance before you lose unaided line of sight with it! Yes, you can go higher with a spotter and fpv, but you can also go higher without.... so long as you can see the drone and safely manoeuvre it with regard to other air users and not endanger them.

Thats what ive been trying to tell Labroides re 400ft and the UK law, it was hard work, i didnt see him argue with you though, thank you, and yes, also the VLOS can, in effect restrict you to 100ft if your cannot see your drone past that. VLOS is paramount, and does overrule any other distance rules

I do know they fly low in many places in the UK on a regular basis, many are daily, but not regularly below 400 here,  the odd ones i have seen low are the Air Ambulance ( they land a few hundred meters away from me) and Police and the odd Osprey type heading in to/out of Lakenheath or Mildenhall, my point there was that i can hear them from a long way out, well before they get anywhere near, you have plenty of warning and time to land.  but, its that few and far between , i have not had to as yet.

My point about the test was not how hard or easy or fail or pass, it was the principle, grounding us until pass, i do not see what right they have to do this, like someone else said, you do not see car manufacturer's restrict our cars just because a new law/rule has come out (after purchase that is)

Yes, i can see the idea behind it and why, again, that too is not the issue either, messing with my product in a way that restricts me from using it in the way that was intended at time of purchase is wrong and that is what the issue is, no matter how many agree with the test, how it gone about is wrong.

I dont see Raleigh, Mongoose, Muddy Fox (and so on) bikes get clamped if you do not wear a helmet

If they did it to new products only (pre registered) with a warning leaflet explaining that there is a test, and that you must take and pass this before you are allowed to take off, that then is different, you will know about this at the time of purchase and alls well that ends well, doing it after i bought it is wrong.
2017-12-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 2017-12-26 23:18
Thats what ive been trying to tell Labroides re 400ft and the UK law, it was hard work, i didnt see him argue with you though, thank you, and yes, also the VLOS can, in effect restrict you to 100ft if your cannot see your drone past that. VLOS is paramount, and does overrule any other distance rules

I do know they fly low in many places in the UK on a regular basis, many are daily, but not regularly below 400 here,  the odd ones i have seen low are the Air Ambulance ( they land a few hundred meters away from me) and Police and the odd Osprey type heading in to/out of Lakenheath or Mildenhall, my point there was that i can hear them from a long way out, well before they get anywhere near, you have plenty of warning and time to land.  but, its that few and far between , i have not had to as yet.

i do not see what right they have to do this, like someone else said, you do not see car manufacturer's restrict our cars just because a new law/rule has come out (after purchase that is)

I dont see Raleigh, Mongoose, Muddy Fox (and so on) bikes get clamped if you do not wear a helmet

Your issue is that you somehow think that DJI is restricting your use of the product but that doesn't stand up to analysis.
The test:
   Takes a minute or two
   Is so easy that you can't fail.
    In the unlikely event that you do fail, you get to try again and again till you pass
Now ... where is the restriction on your use of the product?
2017-12-26
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Adding the test is the restriction in its entirety, this has to be completed else the product is grounded AND this was added after i bought the product, so, now you've gone from picking at the 400ft to my point about messing with the product after i bought it, another of which you cannot grasp, regardless of how easy it is, regardless of why its there, its the fact that they in effect grounded the product months after i had paid for it.

Thanks for the apology though, i know you didnt say it but the thought was there im sure ;)  i accept, lets just move on now eh?  
2017-12-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 2017-12-26 23:54
Adding the test is the restriction in its entirety, this has to be completed else the product is grounded AND this was added after i bought the product, so, now you've gone from picking at the 400ft to my point about messing with the product after i bought it, another of which you cannot grasp, regardless of how easy it is, regardless of why its there, its the fact that they in effect grounded the product months after i had paid for it.

Thanks for the apology though, i know you didnt say it but the thought was there im sure ;)  i accept, lets just move on now eh?

its the fact that they in effect grounded the product months after i had paid for it.
If you couldn't fly and the Phantom was only good as a paperweight, you might have a case.
But for the sake of a minute or two delay in your busy flight schedule, you can't argue that your use of the Phantom has been restricted.
There is no way you can argue that you have been grounded.
2017-12-27
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

But i was grounded, regardless as to how long the test takes, DJI grounded my product until i passed the test, now, lets say i was in the middle of no where, with no internet connection, i had had to cancel the test 4 times during my 2 weeks break because of no internet, that would then leave me with a grounded product because i couldnt pass the test,  and this all happened months after i bought my product.

My point again is, my product was made useless after i bought, no matter how many times you try to make it sound negligible, it still does not negate the fact that my product was rendered useless regardless as to how long it was for, thats my argument, if you was in that scenario i mentioned above, you cannot say you would have been happy about it, it could happen too, you do all you flight tests at home before you leave, everything put away for the journey but you didnt notice that the app had updated prior to putting the device away, thats it, ya screwed until you get back to civilisation by which time your holiday is over.

Simple terms, dont render my product useless, i feel thats a good enough argument in itself.
2017-12-27
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules