New Spark Firmware Released (21/12/2017)
67914 333 2017-12-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mildman
lvl.4

United Kingdom

fans0fdf77f1 Posted at 2017-12-22 02:38
UPDATE : Latest FW v.900 with all batteries~OTG Connection~djiGo4 4.1.15
After firmware update , i go for a test flight , short distance....maybe i m wrong , GPS satelite log in took a long time 10-15 minutes to log in before can fly and after satelite log in, hover a little and crashed to ground , maybe GPS satelite not above 6 satelite ( sorry for my english )I will try again tomorrow. But i managed for fly later for a short distance 100 meters.

Looking forward to your update on this, if it has introduced problems with old Apps, that will tell us a lot.
2017-12-22
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

hawkins2000 Posted at 2017-12-21 05:47
Great...just in case...is a downgrade to .0800 / 0.701 still possible? Or are you stuck now on .0900?

Very good question!
The second firmware in 2 weeks, but still the Go4 v.4.1.22 not available?
And this time, the new available firmware is pushing a red "firmware update required" in the green "in flight (GPS)" corner?
Ok, flying with .701 and 4.1.14  was not affected and it was there just for 2 batteries.
But that was close to look like another "compulsory update"
2017-12-22
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 510968 ft
Israel

Mildman Posted at 2017-12-22 03:02
I'm waiting for this answer.

The user Wachtberger has already said that it works.
2017-12-22
Use props
Lian82
lvl.4
Flight distance : 796775 ft
Italy

hello it's been a while since I wrote here eh!

I follow an Italian forum much easier for me, but apparently I'm Italian in that forum with more experience. no good

I wanted to say that I have DJI go 4 4.1.17 for iphone (do not update yet ..)

will I upgrade to the latest version of the drone (only for the batteries) can I go back and stay the battery update or go back to the previous one?

P.S. 2.4ghz in europe only with IOS works without OTG, DJI still sleep? !! Halooo are there? I do not think so.

almost nobody for me in this forum uses CE, here many go to FCC MOD for Europeans.
2017-12-22
Use props
Snoopy 3d
lvl.2
United States

I'm a new Spark user and reading over the user manual I'm not finding anything on OTG (not sure what that stands for) so why all the negative comments on no OTG support? Am I missing something?
2017-12-22
Use props
Viking-Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2379249 ft
Spain

linkjar Posted at 2017-12-22 02:29
It needs to update all batteries.

Thanks for your reply
2017-12-22
Use props
JMR58
First Officer
Flight distance : 627966 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Arcicorsa Posted at 2017-12-21 14:25
I'm not saying that I'm flying this way but this option here is .. By the way, I do not know what you would like to see on the video.

Yes you do not have problems because this problem concerns people in the EU where more than 50% of people can not connect with Spark RC to 5.8Ghz and therefore we are limited to 150m.

Just did a testflight with Spark on new firmware (as post47) now with CS Android DJI GO 4.1.18.
Result is amazing, whitout otg distance of 530m with full video streaming available.

Only negative point is the top line in the app warns from 150m for adjusting antenna's, but videostream stays available as you can see on pics of screenshot!

Sorry i still have to find out how i can post CS screenshots directly.
So no otg cable or range extenders or whatever
IMG_1839.jpg
IMG_1840.jpg
2017-12-22
Use props
Zbig
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7349 ft
Poland

Snoopy 3d Posted at 2017-12-22 07:43
I'm a new Spark user and reading over the user manual I'm not finding anything on OTG (not sure what that stands for) so why all the negative comments on no OTG support? Am I missing something?

Exactly. USB OTG (On-The-Go) is an USB mode where the host-device relationship gets swapped. In case of DJI drones, it's used as a (somewhat inaccurate) short for a mode, where your smartphone connects with the Remote Controller not via WiFi but with a USB cable. DJI Mavic Pro and other drones do work like that. But DJI has never advertised OTG support for Spark, never mentioned it in any materials, etc. Someone has tried it anyway and it kind of worked. Now you have an angry pitchfork mob here screaming bloody murder over DJI having "removed support" for something that never was supported in the first place. That's the today's internet and a sample of modern society for you...
2017-12-22
Use props
Lian82
lvl.4
Flight distance : 796775 ft
Italy

OTG>Wifi connection
2017-12-22
Use props
Mildman
lvl.4

United Kingdom

djiuser_Kf4iPA3 Posted at 2017-12-22 06:00
The user Wachtberger has already said that it works.

Yes, thank you.  
2017-12-22
Use props
Mildman
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Zbig Posted at 2017-12-22 07:57
Exactly. USB OTG (On-The-Go) is an USB mode where the host-device relationship gets swapped. In case of DJI drones, it's used as a (somewhat inaccurate) short for a mode, where your smartphone connects with the Remote Controller not via WiFi but with a USB cable. DJI Mavic Pro and other drones do work like that. But DJI has never advertised OTG support for Spark, never mentioned it in any materials, etc. Someone has tried it anyway and it kind of worked. Now you have an angry pitchfork mob here screaming bloody murder over DJI having "removed support" for something that never was supported in the first place. That's the today's internet and a sample of modern society for you...

"pitchfork mob here screaming bloody murder over DJI having "removed support""

That's a completely inaccurate statement, it has zero truth in it all all.    We all know it was never supported at the time of purchase, however a range of 300m was promised....which we don't get.   We are simply asking DJI when and if it will be supported, as the spark in the EU and on Android is a useless product.
DJI ignore all direct questions.

So, I guess you're just another person who offers nothing to the debate and adds nothing to the solution...but still finds time to wander in here and throw accusations around.

Modern society indeed.
2017-12-22
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

JMR58 Posted at 2017-12-22 07:55
Just did a testflight with Spark on new firmware (as post47) now with CS Android DJI GO 4.1.18.
Result is amazing, whitout otg distance of 530m with full video streaming available.

Thanks a lot for this report from the real world. Very encouraging indeed.
2017-12-22
Use props
JMR58
First Officer
  • >>>
Belgium

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-12-22 08:52
Thanks a lot for this report from the real world. Very encouraging indeed.

Hey mate, you must have a fabulous armor, but for now i hope this update will release some pressure...!
There was not even a glitch or green bar on the screen at 530 m, i think Spark can go much further now on wifi...
2017-12-22
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

JMR58 Posted at 2017-12-22 09:14
Hey mate, you must have a fabulous armor, but for now i hope this update will release some pressure...!
There was not even a glitch or green bar on the screen at 530 m, i think Spark can go much further now on wifi...

Yes, thank you again. They are working hard on improving things indeed and more results will come when ready for release, I have no doubt about that.
2017-12-22
Use props
Vyborny83
lvl.4
Flight distance : 166014 ft
Czechia

Snoopy 3d Posted at 2017-12-22 07:43

Let me give you an explanation from the other side of a barricade. The spark as a hardware is capable of all the advanced features (or at least most of them) as Mavic Pro as one member of this forum proved with a modified version of the DJI Go 4. The limitations Spark has (compared to the Mavic) are purely software based (probably marketing decision to increase the sales of more expensive drones).

As far as I am concerned, I don't care whether I am using a WiFi or a cable, all I want is the range I was promised and a stable flight without disconnects. The problem in Europe is that a lot of phones does not support the 5,8GHz band. That means that when you set the frequency between the remote and the spark to 2,4 GHz, you loose the connection between the phone and the controller as the phone cannot use 5,8 GHz. There was a workaround to that, an OTG cable (explained a few post above). You used it to connect your phone to RC and could use the 2,4 GHz band for the spark which allowed us to use the promised maximal range of about 500 meters (US have different regulations, your max range is about 2 kilometers if I remember it right).

Unfortunately, this ability was disabled and due to some reasons the range of 5,8Ghz dropped significantly (about 50m in my case). I had to revert back to an older version of DJI GO 4 4.1.14 and spark firmware 01.00.0600 to restore the OTG support and get my range back. This is the reason why there are so many angry post lately and frankly, all those "older" pilots mocking us are only making that frustration worse. Seriously, one would expect that such "experienced" pilots would rather try to calm people down instead of provoking agry responses by stupid comments. All we want is the stability and the range that was promised in Sparks specifications and since there is a problem with 5,8GHz in Europe, the OTG solution is the best way.
2017-12-22
Use props
Filip3rd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 39390 ft
Iran

Upgrading ...
2639C56D-43BF-4B76-8F77-EEA547261E30.jpeg
2017-12-22
Use props
GJVenhuis
lvl.1
Netherlands

Not possible tot upgrade firmware using a Nexus 5x phone (android). Does not go past 5%. Did downgrade the DJI Go app from version 4.1.8 to 4.1.5. Problem not solved. How to proceed?
2017-12-22
Use props
wobbles
Second Officer
Flight distance : 547438 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just updated Sparky and all 6 batteries had zero issues , due to test it out Xmas day for some festive footage ....
2017-12-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

I understand that otg can give better video transmission , but can someone explain how using otg gives you better range (distance) when flying? What and how will connecting a cable from phone to RC give better long range distance.
2017-12-22
Use props
Firehawk989
Second Officer
Flight distance : 198904 ft
Canada

GJVenhuis Posted at 2017-12-22 10:52
Not possible tot upgrade firmware using a Nexus 5x phone (android). Does not go past 5%. Did downgrade the DJI Go app from version 4.1.8 to 4.1.5. Problem not solved. How to proceed?

Update with DJI Assistant 2 program on your computer, or an apple device if you have one or access to one.
2017-12-22
Use props
mtnlandpix
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-22 02:25
Apologies to all for side tracking this thread do realize it’s important.

Good luck to everyone and happy Christmas.

Merry Christmas Captain!
2017-12-22
Use props
Arcicorsa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 235892 ft
Czechia

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-22 11:46
I understand that otg can give better video transmission , but can someone explain how using otg gives you better range (distance) when flying? What and how will connecting a cable from phone to RC give better long range distance.

With OTG I can switch to the 2.4Ghz RC-AC link and I have more reach.. I am surprised that you ask...
2017-12-22
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-22 11:46

If you are in Europe, you cannot make WiFi connection between cell phone and RC on 5.8GHz as legal phones don't use frequency range DJI is using. Thus, you need to connect your device and RC using 2.4GHz band. That means that AC-RC connection will switch to 5.8GHz. Physics laws say, the lower the frequency of the signal, better the penetration and thus the range. Back in the radio age, AM radio could  be heard from couple of hundreds of km, if not even thousands. FM was far lower range.
2017-12-22
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

Excuse my ignorance, but how is RC firmware updated when using Assistant and PC? I watched video very carefully and there is no mention that RC needs to be turned on when upgrading firmware. Is it a bug in video or some other magic is going on when updating RC? Many thanks in advance.
2017-12-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

Arcicorsa Posted at 2017-12-22 11:55
With OTG I can switch to the 2.4Ghz RC-AC link and I have more reach.. I am surprised that you ask...

I understand that, but I think a lot of guys around here are mixing up the fact they think that somehow otg will give greater distance and it might need explaining that in fact otg won’t give you more distance, it will only allow guys on android to connect to 2.4ghz, those already on iOS are not having problems connecting to 2.4ghz, there are many from the US complaining about this but really they should not have a problem with this.
Running iOS on WiFi or otg there is no noticeable difference in video transmission , I also flew today using Crystalsky 5.8ghz no otg and video transmission is fine I was flying close to 300 metres.
Let’s hope between new firmware and upcoming software there will be less problems, but I do feel there are some misconceptions around here regarding otg.
2017-12-22
Use props
Elettrone78
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2840512 ft
  • >>>
Italy

xfirf_ Posted at 2017-12-21 06:45
As they are not supporting the OTG for Spark officially you cannot send it back because of this not working.
Yes its curious that they still not provide a fix for all platforms to be able to use it but it is at it is.
Maybe when more customers are complaining they will be faster with this, but threaten them by things like youre doing with your post does not help.

2017-12-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2017-12-22 11:56
If you are in Europe, you cannot make WiFi connection between cell phone and RC on 5.8GHz as legal phones don't use frequency range DJI is using. Thus, you need to connect your device and RC using 2.4GHz band. That means that AC-RC connection will switch to 5.8GHz. Physics laws say, the lower the frequency of the signal, better the penetration and thus the range. Back in the radio age, AM radio could  be heard from couple of hundreds of km, if not even thousands. FM was far lower range.

Thank you eYeShYeYe, I do very much understand this , sorry my point is that I believe that many users believe that by simply using otg even if they have no problem getting 2.4ghz ie iOS users think that somehow their aircraft will fly further.
2017-12-22
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-22 12:16
I understand that, but I think a lot of guys around here are mixing up the fact they think that somehow otg will give greater distance and it might need explaining that in fact otg won’t give you more distance, it will only allow guys on android to connect to 2.4ghz, those already on iOS are not having problems connecting to 2.4ghz, there are many from the US complaining about this but really they should not have a problem with this.
Running iOS on WiFi or otg there is no noticeable difference in video transmission , I also flew today using Crystalsky 5.8ghz no otg and video transmission is fine I was flying close to 300 metres.
Let’s hope between new firmware and upcoming software there will be less problems, but I do feel there are some misconceptions around here regarding otg.

Another things to consider are:
1. Latency
2. Interference

Using cable instead of WiFI so far, gave lower latency from AC to display device (average 300 vs. 200ms) which is either 50% or 33% better depending from what side you are looking.

EM interference between device-RC and RC-AC is almost non-existent in case of cable connection and it is there when not using cable. Note how DJI recommends turning off BT (which operates on 2.4 GHz range) to minimize interference. As one of the channels is on the same band in case of not using the OTG. When using OTG, you don't have to care about BT in case RC-AC is on 5.8GHz. And interference certainly affects the range, especially if it is close to the sources of the signal (so both AC and RC affected).
2017-12-22
Use props
fansa23dddd6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 33635 ft
Ukraine

Guys what about flight time with .900 ?
2017-12-22
Use props
JKL3
lvl.2
Flight distance : 812372 ft
Slovakia

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2017-12-22 11:56
If you are in Europe, you cannot make WiFi connection between cell phone and RC on 5.8GHz as legal phones don't use frequency range DJI is using. Thus, you need to connect your device and RC using 2.4GHz band. That means that AC-RC connection will switch to 5.8GHz. Physics laws say, the lower the frequency of the signal, better the penetration and thus the range. Back in the radio age, AM radio could  be heard from couple of hundreds of km, if not even thousands. FM was far lower range.

You are right. IMHO That's why the 5.8GHz connection works with Apple and CrystalSky devices.
That's why the 5,8GHz connection does not work with devices that are primarily intended for the EU market.
2017-12-22
Use props
fansa6d9d300
lvl.3
United Kingdom

JMR58 Posted at 2017-12-22 07:55
Just did a testflight with Spark on new firmware (as post47) now with CS Android DJI GO 4.1.18.

can i ask how are you getting the compass heading and map displayed together?
is this an android only thing as i'm running ios and for the life of me can't set it up like that.
2017-12-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2017-12-22 12:27
Another things to consider are:
1. Latency
2. Interference

Again I understand all that and thank you for you perfect explanation, however no matter what I have used WiFi or otg I cannot go any further nor am I limited by either, latency there is almost no visual difference in using otg and WiFi , I understand some very good guys around here have done extensive testing and their findings show there is a difference, however I’ve moved countries today and intend to do some flying over the next couple of weeks, will see how it goes. Thank you.
2017-12-22
Use props
jksphoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 114121 ft
United Kingdom

Got the firmware update notification on the app, also the dreaded safety quiz. Not updated just yet, but will do over the weekend.
2017-12-22
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

Although 100ms might not sound much, at the 50km/h in sports mode  it's about 1.4m difference.
That's why some ppl stick their analog TVLs to the top of the Spark to have really decent latency < 100ms.
FPV is all about the latency actually.
Here's slight insight into the matter:
2017-12-22
Use props
JMR58
First Officer
  • >>>
Belgium

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-22 12:41
Again I understand all that and thank you for you perfect explanation, however no matter what I have used WiFi or otg I cannot go any further nor am I limited by either, latency there is almost no visual difference in using otg and WiFi , I understand some very good guys around here have done extensive testing and their findings show there is a difference, however I’ve moved countries today and intend to do some flying over the next couple of weeks, will see how it goes. Thank you.

@hallmark007, thank you for your input in these fora, i have really learned a lot of your advices!
Enjoy Xmas and end of year, hope to hear from you again!..
2017-12-22
Use props
fans72437b43
New

Australia

Unpacked my spark last night in preparation for the onslaught of Christmas day when the young fella unwraps it. charged the batteries to full & read up on the process, got thought to the activation part & when i set the region to Australia it prompted me to update the firmware. so i did, with it to go to 99% after the drone turning off a couple of times it stayed on 99% now the is no WIFI coming from the drone & it just sits there with a full batty & 4 red lights on under the motors! might as well be a house brick!
if you hold the button down to change between iphone & remote there are no beeps it does nothing it just sits there laughing at me!
so i get on to the support page hey load up Assistant 2 - done nothing happens still the USB tone you get when you hook up a USB item sounds & sounds agian it just keeps going on & off. hence no spark app thing turns up in assistant 2.
for sale flash looking brick. will only fly when thrown!!
2017-12-22
Use props
JMR58
First Officer
  • >>>
Belgium

fansa6d9d300 Posted at 2017-12-22 12:39
can i ask how are you getting the compass heading and map displayed together?
is this an android only thing as i'm running ios and for the life of me can't set it up like that.

Hi, on android device you have compass radar as well as the map (ground plan).
Just checked with iOS phone only the map is available at screen bottom right, but with the Drone pointed at the right direction (with a good calibrated compass), and also a straight line for Homepoint...
Line of sight will always be the very best map, enjoy and safe flights!!

2017-12-22
Use props
Brambleman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20627 ft
United States

Arcicorsa Posted at 2017-12-21 08:03
But WHY?? I not have any issue with battery.. You and anywho have any problem with battery?? I do not hear on battery problem in the forum.. So WHY?? Dji is not transparent and does not say all of the truth...

I've read quite a bit on this forum about weird battery cell balance issues, like this thread for example:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-116116-1-1.html
2017-12-22
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Vyborny83 Posted at 2017-12-22 10:09
Let me give you an explanation from the other side of a barricade. The spark as a hardware is capable of all the advanced features (or at least most of them) as Mavic Pro as one member of this forum proved with a modified version of the DJI Go 4. The limitations Spark has (compared to the Mavic) are purely software based (probably marketing decision to increase the sales of more expensive drones).

As far as I am concerned, I don't care whether I am using a WiFi or a cable, all I want is the range I was promised and a stable flight without disconnects. The problem in Europe is that a lot of phones does not support the 5,8GHz band. That means that when you set the frequency between the remote and the spark to 2,4 GHz, you loose the connection between the phone and the controller as the phone cannot use 5,8 GHz. There was a workaround to that, an OTG cable (explained a few post above). You used it to connect your phone to RC and could use the 2,4 GHz band for the spark which allowed us to use the promised maximal range of about 500 meters (US have different regulations, your max range is about 2 kilometers if I remember it right).

First of all please accept that there is no barricade at all here. I am well aware in which of your perceived "drawers" you have placed me and others. All of your points raised are absolutely valid and have never been denied by anyone here, believe it or not. I 100% agree with you in almost all details when using a standard Android device. But what I cannot agree with is that only a few have brought in a tone and aggressivity into this forum that is simply not appropriate. Especially in view of the fact that there have been very clear and manifold statements by DJI representatives that the issue will not only be solved but in addition the use of OTG cable will officially be supported in the near future. Thus exactly what we want and are hoping for (and please do not ask me where these statements are, read the now close to (felt) hundred threads that have been created and you will find them).

It has been posted hundreds of times as well that you can solve the issue for the time being by going back to the previous App version which works perfectly with OTG.
Just do that I would suggest and fly happily like most of us are doing until a new and fixed GO 4 version will be released. And it will come, no matter what phantasies very few others keep posting here for reasons that cannot be eplained by any available facts.
Thus once again, I fully share your concerns but please let's all stay friendly Spark pilots who wish always happy landings for all, ok?

2017-12-22
Use props
xfirf_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 194911 ft
Germany

This is for the Crystal Sky.
2017-12-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules