Help....VERY DISSAPPOINTED
2222 37 2017-12-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans2432ae97
lvl.2
Flight distance : 26 ft
Canada

I have a brand new MP and I am unable to calibrate the compass. I keep getting the interference warning that tells me to move 4.9 ft. away. I've removed all rings, my watch, belt, etc. I've tried in different locations from inside my house, back yard, and a fairly big area that is all grass and I keep getting the same message.
    After two weeks of the flight simulator, lots of videos, and bad weather, I finally had the chance to fly it for the FIRST time, I tried to calibrate the compass (base on DJI preflight check list video) and got the message in my house, so I figured it was the house. The compass had one green bar and one small yellow so I figured it was OK to fly, since the DJI GO 4 app didn't give me any warning unless I went into settings and tried to calibrate. Figuring the compass was OK, based on the two colors that I saw, I tried to fly it with auto take off, after the home point was set. As it started to rise up it started to spin in a CW rotation and fly to my right. It was about 6ft. off the ground spinning, and not hovering, so I pushed the left joy stick down to get it to land. Wow what just happened I though. It DIDN'T take off and hover like the way it does in all the videos I've seen. Confused.
    I tried to calibrate again in a more open area the next day and got the same warning about interference and to move away. I check the compass in the settings and had the same color signals, one green and one yellow. Figured it was OK since neither one was showing red. This time I tried to take off manually so I could control the speed of the lift off. Same thing happened, as it started to rise the drone started to spin CW and roll to the right. It got about 2' off the ground before I landed it. I tried to recalibrate again in different locations and keep getting the same warning. Very confused and disappointed. Remember the excitement you felt before your FIRST flight, well for me that's turned to disappointment.
    So here I am with a total of 2 flights that don't even add up to 1 minute of air time and a drone that doesn't work properly. So now what, at my cost sent it back, wait a few weeks or more to get it returned and hope that one works properly.
    FYI..... I have updated RC and the MP with the newest firmware, and I use it with a iPhone. I even uninstalled the app and reinstalled
2017-12-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Welcome to the forum!

I only calibrate the compass when the app tells you to (not the interference notice, it is a different notification).
And indeed, stay away from anything big (building), metal, concrete etc. Preferably on a wide open space.
Make sure you follow the procedure right!

I would not suggest calibrate indoor. You might ruin the calibration process because of interference and have to do it all over again.

I also occasionally get a interference message, but until now have not had any issues with those and did not experience any strange flying behavior.

2017-12-22
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

What process are you doing? Are turning, or are you turning the drone. Different process works for different people.
2017-12-22
Use props
Brutale
lvl.2
Canada

Woe Posted at 2017-12-22 05:53
What process are you doing? Are turning, or are you turning the drone. Different process works for different people.

I've tried both ways. Turning the drone and also holding it out as I turn around. Tried CW and CCW nothing seems to work. I can can't get pass the first step of the calibration so I have to hit cancel.
2017-12-22
Use props
BluesDragon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 634291 ft
United States

This happened to me when I first received mine as well.  For me... I just forgot to remove those tiny little plastic lens protection covers from one of the sensors. Give it a good look over and try again.
2017-12-22
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Brutale Posted at 2017-12-22 05:58
I've tried both ways. Turning the drone and also holding it out as I turn around. Tried CW and CCW nothing seems to work. I can can't get pass the first step of the calibration so I have to hit cancel.

Strange. Are you using a phone or tablet. Having a small screen maybe a problem. Not sure if you tried an Imu calibration. If not try that and then try compass calibration.
2017-12-22
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

There are a lot of youtube videos that say to setup the Mavic and including  IMU and compass setups. So anyway i'm guessing why so many are doing this when they first get their drones?  But why are people setting up their drones inside a building? 3 days till Christmas so lets see what comes out of that mess with people needing help lol
2017-12-22
Use props
rparge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 173852 ft
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-12-22 05:44
Welcome to the forum!

I only calibrate the compass when the app tells you to (not the interference notice, it is a different notification).

FYI, V2.0 of the Mavic manual has an update on the compass requirements.
Here's a screen grab, page 54.

2017-12-22
Use props
wglovett
lvl.3
Canada

rolling56 Posted at 2017-12-22 08:04
There are a lot of youtube videos that say to setup the Mavic and including  IMU and compass setups. So anyway i'm guessing why so many are doing this when they first get their drones?  But why are people setting up their drones inside a building? 3 days till Christmas so lets see what comes out of that mess with people needing help lol

XD been wondering how lively forums will be on boxing day..  
2017-12-22
Use props
fans1351c572
lvl.1
United States

It shouldn't be an act of congress to set compass... 1 complete circle horizontal & 1 complete circle vertical that's it... No fancy stuff... If it doesn't calibrate i would return to store... Ür taking a chance my friend for a bye bye drone...
2017-12-22
Use props
rob59scot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 326939 ft
United Kingdom

Have you got the legs extended
2017-12-22
Use props
Brutale
lvl.2
United States

The DJI flight precheck video says to calibrate, so that’s what I’ve tried to do. And I’ve done it exactly like DJI SAYS TOO. Yes the legs are unfolded, and I turn it the way DJI says to. Which is to turn the drone around it’s axis. Nothing seems to work.
I just restored the MP to the factory settings and reinstalled the lasted firmware in both the RC and drone. Deleted the app and reinstalled. I’ll see what tomorrow brings.
2017-12-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Brutale Posted at 2017-12-22 11:57
The DJI flight precheck video says to calibrate, so that’s what I’ve tried to do. And I’ve done it exactly like DJI SAYS TOO. Yes the legs are unfolded, and I turn it the way DJI says to. Which is to turn the drone around it’s axis. Nothing seems to work.
I just restored the MP to the factory settings and reinstalled the lasted firmware in both the RC and drone. Deleted the app and reinstalled. I’ll see what tomorrow brings.

Hope you get it fixed or indeed, back to the shop.
2017-12-22
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Good luck man , hope you’re in the air soon.
2017-12-22
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Brutale, that must be frustrated for the difficulties that you have. Since you had done a factory reset and firmware refresh, I am also looking forward to your feedback.
Before the takeoff, I suggest that you calibrate the compass and IMU first, also, please wait for the aircraft status becomes "Ready to Go" and fly the drone in a place with fine GPS signal. See if it helps.
If the case persists, please contact support.us@dji.com and export the flight data to them and start a data analysis. Thank you. not to cali the cps.png

2017-12-22
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Sometimes you can get interference from your phone & RC so I suggest you place them a few feet away from you and look at the lights on the Mavic to see that it is successful. Make sure the legs are extended, gimbal clamp off and everything tuned on. In the app, start the calibration then put the RC on the ground, pick up the Mavic and move away then holding the Mavic level walk anti clockwise around it while holding the Mavic in roughly the same place. Keep turning around and watch for the lights to turn green. When the lights turn green, hold the Mavic vertically with the camera pointing down and repeat walking around it anti clockwise. Keep going until you see the lights turn yellow. Then you can put the Mavic down and get the RC and complete the calibration.
2017-12-22
Use props
EagleAttack
lvl.1
United States

Hopefully, the reset and all will work for you. I'd try to get DJI on the phone if you continue to have problems after all you've done.
2017-12-22
Use props
EagleAttack
lvl.1
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-12-22 14:01
Hope you get it fixed or indeed, back to the shop.

Are you referring to the DJI Pre-Flight app or indications from the DJI Go 4 app?
2017-12-22
Use props
fans7c22ff41
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25082 ft
United Kingdom

I started with a brand new magic this week and had exactly the same problem.  After more hours than I can remember turning it around every which way in various clear locations  & reading/ watching videos etc etc I returned it and got an exchange.

Compass calibrated first time.

Take it back.
2017-12-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

EagleAttack Posted at 2017-12-22 22:27
Are you referring to the DJI Pre-Flight app or indications from the DJI Go 4 app?

No, the shop you bought it.
2017-12-23
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Dude take it back it, screw the aggravation and potential flyaway.....should have calibrated the first time u tried it.
2017-12-23
Use props
Brutale
lvl.2
United States

Retried to calibrate the compass to no avail. The lights never turn green in the horizon calibration step. Had to green bars in the compass settings, so I canceled out of calibration and tried to do a manual take off after the home point was set. The app showed everything was ok. About 1’ off the ground it started to spin CCW and yaw left. I made it land. Defective right out of the box.
2017-12-24
Use props
fans2e9aa3da
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7159 ft
United States

Oh image that another defective MP. If they could make a quad as reliable as the P3P the size of the MP they would have a winner
2017-12-24
Use props
Brutale
lvl.2
Canada

Called DJI Support (818) 235-0789 and after talking to 3 different people, being place on hold, and a 1 1/2 hours of my time I was insulted. It was suggested to me that the problem might be USER ERROR. I was told to sent it back and that they will see what's wrong with it, and I might have to use my DJI Care Refresh to replace it, since it's been over 14 days since I activated it. Not happening.   
  The Compass will not calibrate not matter what you do or where you do it, since the very FIRST time I tried to do it, BEFORE the FIRST time I ever tried to fly it. So since that was passed the 14 days it's out of the replacement time frame. WHAT? It was the first time I tried to use it.
   BEWARE THAT YOU SHOULD TRY YOUR DRONE WITHIN THE FIRST 14 DAYS OF ACTIVATION EVEN IF WEATHER OR YOU DON'T HAVE THE TIME TO. BECAUSE IF YOU DON'T YOU BE IN THE SAME BOAT AS ME.
Does it say that in the fine print some where?
  So a defective product seems like they want to spin it into, it was something I did wrong. USER ERROR.......I don't think so.The only way I'll send it back is when I get a Email insuring me that if MY drone (my property) can not be repaired and returned to me, that it will be replaced with a new one NOT a refurbished one. Class action lawsuit anyone? STILL VERY DISSAPPOINTED AND INSULTED TOO.
2017-12-26
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

Good luck. This is perhaps how DJI operates. Never hesitate to return any new products and waste your time to mess with it if it does not right out of the box. I returned my new gopro 5 the third day after finding out that it could not do OIS in 4k.
2017-12-26
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Brutale Posted at 2017-12-26 10:40
Called DJI Support (818) 235-0789 and after talking to 3 different people, being place on hold, and a 1 1/2 hours of my time I was insulted. It was suggested to me that the problem might be USER ERROR. I was told to sent it back and that they will see what's wrong with it, and I might have to use my DJI Care Refresh to replace it, since it's been over 14 days since I activated it. Not happening.   
  The Compass will not calibrate not matter what you do or where you do it, since the very FIRST time I tried to do it, BEFORE the FIRST time I ever tried to fly it. So since that was passed the 14 days it's out of the replacement time frame. WHAT? It was the first time I tried to use it.
   BEWARE THAT YOU SHOULD TRY YOUR DRONE WITHIN THE FIRST 14 DAYS OF ACTIVATION EVEN IF WEATHER OR YOU DON'T HAVE THE TIME TO. BECAUSE IF YOU DON'T YOU BE IN THE SAME BOAT AS ME.

If the problem is a result of a product defect -- which seems likely -- then you won't have to use Care Refresh: DJI will replace it free of charge.
2017-12-27
Use props
Brutale
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Support called and left a voice mail message on my phone that the status of my issue with the Mavic Pro, not being able to calibrate, was changed from a 'repair' status to a 'replacement'. They asked me to send everything that came with the Mavic Pro Combo back to them.
    It's nice to see that DJI support is doing the right thing. I always felt they should, since it is brand new with a total of less then 45 seconds of flight time, in 3 tries to get it to fly. Hopefully the new replacement causes me to sing my praise of DJI and the Mavic Pro.
2018-1-2
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You should calibrate turning the drone around on its central axis - you shouldn’t move from your position and the compass calibration is successful when the LED flashes green - not yellow!
2018-1-2
Use props
Brutale
lvl.2
Canada

Track my return which was received by DJI on  01/04/2018 at 10:11 AM PCT.  It's been over a week and the only thing I received was a email the next day, staying what they received. I have a voice recording that says that my case was changed from a repair to a new replacement. why haven't I received my new drone yet?
  Still have not heard anything since last week. WHAT GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE....... ARE YOU KIDDING ME. Thank the stars that DJI doesn't make parts for the ISS.
  PS:  DJI..... I just wanted to let you know something about business. "IT IS A LOT HARDER TO KEEP A CUSTOMER, THEN IT IS TO LOSE ON."  IT ONLY TAKES ONE NEGATIVE EXPERIECE TO DRIVE A CUSTOMER A WAY FOR EVER. I'M JUST ABOUT THERE. Juz'Sayin'

2018-1-11
Use props
djiuser_ipkBqIU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 34042 ft
United States

hi all im new here and just got a MP a week ago
2018-1-11
Use props
fans32897734
lvl.1
United States

I am disappointed, as well.  I think it's a great product, but customer service could use a lot of improvement.  At least there is this forum, which might help on some issues.

The store where I bought my Platinum didn't tell me about Care Refresh.  I found out about it online a week later and tried to get it, only to find out about the 48-hour rule.  My total flying time during the week was about 30 seconds.  I got it turned on, flew to 4', then landed because it started to rain.  It rained for a week.  Now I would have to make a complicated video to apply for Refresh.  Complicated for me, because I don't know how to do any of that yet.

Is DJI a new company?  Maybe their popularity has grown so fast, they haven't been able to keep up in the customer service dept.  Maybe they are trying and it will just take some time.  I would love to have a comprehensive manual that tells me how to do things, so I don't have to be bugging people here on forums about basic stuff.
2018-1-11
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>
United States

You may find this hard to believe, but DJI customer service is better than it used to be.
2018-1-12
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

fans32897734 Posted at 2018-1-11 09:40
I am disappointed, as well.  I think it's a great product, but customer service could use a lot of improvement.  At least there is this forum, which might help on some issues.

The store where I bought my Platinum didn't tell me about Care Refresh.  I found out about it online a week later and tried to get it, only to find out about the 48-hour rule.  My total flying time during the week was about 30 seconds.  I got it turned on, flew to 4', then landed because it started to rain.  It rained for a week.  Now I would have to make a complicated video to apply for Refresh.  Complicated for me, because I don't know how to do any of that yet.

Is DJI a new company?  Maybe their popularity has grown so fast, they haven't been able to keep up in the customer service dept.  Maybe they are trying and it will just take some time.

I think they're just trying to maximize their profits; gatekeepers / script-readers are cheap, but good customer service costs money.

I would love to have a comprehensive manual that tells me how to do things, so I don't have to be bugging people here on forums about basic stuff.

Well, googling is always an option because most questions that get asked have been answered already (often multiple times, in fact), but most of us don't mind already-answered questions being asked again and don't consider it to be "bugging" anyone.

As for Care Refresh, as long as you don't live in California or Massachusetts, you probably can get an inexpensive personal articles policy (PAP) from State Farm that provides broader coverage for less money. Call your local State Farm agent and see if they offer it (some do; others don't) and if not check the spreadsheet (second link) in this thread to find an agent in your state that will sell you a policy.
2018-1-13
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

Hi - i have calibrated my mavic 3 times. 1 when i first got it in march 2017 - calibration was a nightmare, failed so many times - eventually succeeded perhaps on the 4th time. At this time. Then i crashed it quickly (my own fault) and it went back to china for repairs. I recalibrated when i got it back - failed about 3 of 4 times before i got it right. Just recently after the latest app update i decided to calibrate agin - failed 2 times and succeeded on the 3rd attempt. all my calibrations have been done indoors. 1 tip is to keep the drones about 1.5m at least above the ground - you never know whats in the substrate, could be rebar in concrete or old buried metal materials under the ground - so keep the drone above 1.5m during calibration - has worked for me. Also once after a fail i checked my drawers in my desk and removed some magnets - after this it calibrated. Take a deap breath, suck up as much patience as you can muster, assume that it will take 3 attempts before getting right - now try again. I hope you come right, let us know. Finally if your drone should be in warrentee for 6 months. if the problem is a drone warrentee issue then they should collect free of charge as well as deliver new one free of charge too - anyway thats how my agents handed my warentee claim (for battery problem)
2018-1-13
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

rparge Posted at 2017-12-22 08:16
FYI, V2.0 of the Mavic manual has an update on the compass requirements.
Here's a screen grab, page 54.

Advise from a seasoned mavic pilot based on personal experiance and on the outcome of a previous thread discussing this issue.
I do not recalibrate every time when flying at a location farther than 10km away from last flight location.
I recommend that mavic pilots should not recalibrate each time flights are more than 10km apart.

1. it is not nessesary - almost every other flight i am at least a minimum of 20 km from my last location and pretty much every one of my flights happens more than 10km from my home (where the initial calibration was set). I have had flights hundreds of km away from home or last flight without recalibrating and this remains one area where i have not and continue to not experaince any issues.
2. for many, recalibration process is an issue, unnessesary recalibration invites unnessesary problems
2018-1-13
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
Thailand

Im flying with a compass calibration performed 10,500km away.  It works fine.  I see no point in redoing it unless it asks or i get yellow bar readouts.

2018-1-13
Use props
Brutale
lvl.2
Canada

Well to my surprise I received a NEW Mavic Pro Combo (based on the serial number) on 15-Jan-18. DJI Customer Support did the right thing and replaced it. There is hope after all.
  It's still in the sealed box, unopened, with the DJI tape all around the seams. I find it really sad that I can't decide to open it or sell it. There is a big part of me that feels like I don't want to deal with all the BS if it has another issue..... which many do. I have DJI Care Refresh and almost two months of my 12 months of coverage was wasted due to it being defective right out of the box. I don't even want to think about what's going to be involved to have the NEW serial number connected to my DJI Care Refresh account which reflects the serial number of the Mavic Pro Combo I sent back.

2018-1-17
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1624 ft
Australia

Buddy, I'm a DJI hater at the moment because of the crAPP shoo .....
Just make sure you check on the day that your device is on the list...or buy fruit...
But seriously, the Mavic is a great piece of kit!! Go out and fly it!

2018-1-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules