Gimbal protection
1497 10 2017-12-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
coco60
lvl.4
Flight distance : 632096 ft
Canada

The camera gimbal assembly on phantom 3 and 4 are the most expensive parts of the drone and the least protected !!  It's been like that for many years DJI !!!  when are you going to find a solution about that ?
2017-12-22
Use props
coco60
lvl.4
Flight distance : 632096 ft
Canada

Gimbal protection

The camera gimbal assembly on phantom 3 and 4 are the most expensive parts of the drone and the least protected !!  It's been like that for many years DJI !!!  when are you going to find a solution about that ?
2017-12-22
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

Well, if you install the bubble and clamp (or the combination one like I bought), then nothing will happen to it when you travel.  If you damage it during flight, I'm not sure I'd put all the blame on DJI . . .
2017-12-22
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha coco,

The P2 Vision + (and previous products) used to suffer Vortex Ring State.  That was corrected with the P2 version 3 and all following Phantoms.  But back in the day, we learned how to fashion a gimbal protector from paper clips that protected the gimbal friction axel from loosening the camera.  I still have mine on my P3 Pro.  Is that what you are trying to note here?

If that is your issue, you really need to note that you are flying an entirely different product now.  DJI provides a simulator so you can practice in virtual space how to fly your product.  Sure this does use up battery product, but it is rechargeable.  You are also provided with "Beginner Mode" where you can practice flying in the "real" world, things like basic control and take-offs and landings.  When you think you are ready, you can turn off "Beginner Mode".  Remember now, you are the only one who knows you are using the simulator or Beginner Mode.

So now, you have mastered the basics and have a healthy fear of crashing your $1000-$1500 product.  What part of a safe landing do you not understand?  Do you need to go back and practice some more?  Then go back and practice some more.

There are hundreds of thousands of DJI Phantom products out there (probably millions by now - it is Christmas after all) with almost the same number of happy operators.  There are more quadcopters in the World's airspace than there are manned aircraft.

As Phantom fliers, we have all mastered Return to Home and the safe take-off and landing.  Our DJI Phantoms last for years without problems.  Sure there are occasional firmware issues but that has more to do with the various devices we choose to use than it does with DJI products under DJI's control.

I beg to differ with you , but the camera gimbal assembly is one of the most protected places on the Phantom.  The cage created by the landing gear assembly provides very significant protection.  Adding more protection increases problems with the function of the platform as a cutting edge flying camera.  

The obvious solution under these conditions is for the product user to practice more with the simulator and fly longer in "Beginner Mode", not for DJI to inhibit the use of its product for competent users by adding training wheels.  You can buy training wheels from other venders, but do be aware that they do inhibit the use of DJI's cutting edge flying camera technology.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-12-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I installed a 3D printed gimbal guard, that seems to do its job very well.

RedHotPoker
2017-12-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Apparently, the newest Mavic (next year) the gimbal is meant to be more recessed, or so i heard on the grapevine
Perhaps the next phantom could be too???
2017-12-22
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

In what way do you see the gimbal as least protected?
are you referring to the fact that its hanging under the drone like it does ?
if your concerned that it is so close to the ground you can purchase a pair of landing legs to raise the drone up of the ground.
there are gaurds you can purchase online that can protect the gimbal from impacts during landing but they do block out direct vertical down views from the camera.
im sure you realise that any form of barrier or gaurd that dji could put in place would most likely impede the vision of the camera itself.
2017-12-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I have already replied to your identical post.  

Which is bad forum form, making multiple posts on the same topic...

Naughty boy, and on Christmas weekend? Oh what a shame. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-12-22
Use props
SHamers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1001020 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi to all, I think in a few years the 360 ccd-chip will be the future. No gimbal anymore. Just film 360 and pick the part you need. At the moment Parrot is using it but not yet in the quality of a the 4K phantom camera’s
2017-12-22
Use props
SHamers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1001020 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi to all, I think in a few years the 360 ccd-chip will be the future. No gimbal anymore. Just film 360 and pick the part you need. At the moment Parrot is using it but not yet in the quality of a the 4K phantom camera’s
2017-12-22
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Coco, do you encounter any issue of the gimbal camera? I'd like to see whether we can help.
2017-12-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules