1300 3 2017-12-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tylerclark
lvl.2
Flight distance : 60912 ft
United States

Hello,

I want to fly my Spark at my sisters house on Christmas which is ~15 miles away from the Mar-a-Lago where the president is. I just saw a giant ring around where he is. I just want to fly around where we are which is not close to him (and our address has a yellow ring, not red). The drone doesn't even have the ability to fly remotely close so I feel like it's an easy approval. How do I apply to unlock? And what are my odds of getting approved? I feel like there are SO MANY people wanting to fly DJI drones in south Florida that I can't be the first person to run into this problem.
Screen Shot 2017-12-22 at 11.38.46 PM.png

Thanks in advance!

2017-12-22
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

I think the airspace is set asside for air traffic dedicated to the President and his protection detail.  It is not about the drone flying to the President 15miles away, but it getting in the way of official aircraft.  Recently, some drone ran into one of the US Army Blackhawks working for him/his detail and left pieces of itself in the heli.  So I doubt you will be allowed to be flying with and around the security detail aircraft.  They hate drones.

Fortunately, the FAA is prosecuting the Phantom drone operator versus ignoring him and instead further restricting legal flyers.

2017-12-22
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

litchi, I guess!
2017-12-22
Use props
tylerclark
lvl.2
Flight distance : 60912 ft
United States

Update: I was successful to fly by using the Self Unlock. Not sure if that was any sort of authorization or if it was wrong but I was able to fly around and snap some photos and videos with the family! Took a while to get the Go software to recognize the Valid status, but once it did it was ready to fly.
2017-12-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules