Osmo with IPhone X & external microphone
5822 4 2017-12-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans803002c3
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thought I’d share my setup to support an external microphone via the  Osmo  Mobile with an iPhone X.
The iPhone can just about manage without heating up the Osmo, however, I’ll continue to look for a right angled lightening port that can centre the iPhone a little more.

The accessories used in this setup

Rode videomic me
Rode SC cable
Standard coldshoe (eBay)
Apple lightening to 3.5mm port
3rd party Extension arm (eBay)

In happy how it works, as you can see, you can also attach the standard DJI extension and tripod to the setup. Would advise filming in airplane mode to minimise any interference that can be picked up through the recording quality.

627C9AB8-BF57-4761-ABDC-9A9FAA3AFE45.jpeg
A80325D9-1102-4AD2-85DF-79F62F828B2A.jpeg
48014FE6-1007-4DF2-AD08-AC73BF19CD35.jpeg
2017-12-23
Use props
jrm11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

Cool setup. Thanks for sharing.
I'm curious... what benefits does using the Osmo in this way provide versus simply putting the phone/camera on a tripod?

I use my Osmo on a tripod when I am doing a motion time-lapse or active track. In other words, features that are Osmo specific. For any other use, I find it easier to skip the Osmo and go directly to the tripod. With a ball head, I can also get motion that's as fluid as the Osmo's controls.

Not a knock on the Osmo - I really like the product. Just trying to find out what benefits it adds to static tripod shots.

Thanks.
2017-12-23
Use props
fans803002c3
lvl.1
United Kingdom

It’s a good question, I mainly use the tripod for time lapses, however it could be useful to record school plays or even family occasions (Christmas get togethers ;) ) effectively over a period of time that makes sense not to handhold. It’s also nice for any active tracking but the microphone won’t swing in the same direction.
2017-12-23
Use props
jrm11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

fans803002c3 Posted at 2017-12-23 07:30
It’s a good question, I mainly use the tripod for time lapses, however it could be useful to record school plays or even family occasions (Christmas get togethers ;) ) effectively over a period of time that makes sense not to handhold. It’s also nice for any active tracking but the microphone won’t swing in the same direction.

Understood, and I use a tripod often for many of the same reasons.

What I was trying to get at is why use a tripod PLUS Osmo, instead of just the tripod without the Osmo?

What benefit does the Osmo provide you when mounted on a tripod? The tripod itself is the stabilizer.

Thanks.

2017-12-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wow, that cable won't last too long I guess.....
You def. need a 90 degree cable

Thanks for sharing your setup.
2017-12-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules