Unresponsive remote controller, Spark crashed in sea
4087 68 2017-12-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
warrenski
lvl.4
South Africa

Hi all, referring back to the thread's opening post, I just wanted to provide some feedback now that the case has been resolved. DJI completed their analysis of the provided flight data and confirmed that mine was indeed a warranty case. No additional information was provided by them with regards to the cause of the incident. I have to say that throughout our correspondence DJI's support was very responsive to my emails, and I was very satisfied with the manner in which the case was handled.

One disappointment though is that I wasn't compensated for the expensive 64GB MicroSD card that was lost with the drone, but there's no way (that I know of) for me to prove that this was in the slot at the time of losing the aircraft.

I collected my replacement Spark from a local distributor today, and look forward to hitting the skies again and capturing some footage.

A special thank you to @Wachtberger for his guidance on the forum and the information that he provided.
2018-1-9
Use props
teknikal90
lvl.2
Flight distance : 106601 ft
Canada

warrenski Posted at 2018-1-9 12:05
Hi all, referring back to the thread's opening post, I just wanted to provide some feedback now that the case has been resolved. DJI completed their analysis of the provided flight data and confirmed that mine was indeed a warranty case. No additional information was provided by them with regards to the cause of the incident. I have to say that throughout our correspondence DJI's support was very responsive to my emails, and I was very satisfied with the manner in which the case was handled.

One disappointment though is that I wasn't compensated for the expensive 64GB MicroSD card that was lost with the drone, but there's no way (that I know of) for me to prove that this was in the slot at the time of losing the aircraft.

good to hear you had a good experience!
Too bad about your SD card though I'm sure you're stoked by the result nonetheless.
2018-1-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Congrats warrenski enjoy the new spark , great result I believe all these cases are fairly judged by dji and a good endorsement that Pilot was not at fault.
Good luck..
2018-1-9
Use props
Shade220
lvl.3
Canada

Very good news.  Thanks for sharing.
2018-1-9
Use props
fans4b963ee7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30322 ft
United Kingdom

S.J Posted at 2017-12-23 23:53
Your main problem was you did not manually set the home point on your mobile device......This is a grave error done by 90% of the people who reported a Fly away ....Good luck next time...

The Spark manual doesn’t say that the home point should be set manually, so that’s irrelevant.
2018-1-9
Use props
fans4b963ee7
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Neroangelo Posted at 2018-1-3 04:31
DJI specs say themselves that the Spark can get up to 1.2 miles in the open...not 0.2 miles....

https://www.dji.com/spark/info

Not in Europe. That only applies in the US.
2018-1-9
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

After your kind PM I wish to join expressing my happiness about the good outcome also here! Thanks to DJI first of all. For your new Spark I wish you always happy landings! :-)
2018-1-9
Use props
Mariano500
lvl.2
Argentina

Great how the forum community supports and the provider's response.
2018-1-9
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

fans4b963ee7 Posted at 2018-1-9 13:00
Not in Europe. That only applies in the US.

that's not true. Distance doesn't depend on a country. It depends on how you configure your SPARK !
2018-1-9
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Kuwait

fans4b963ee7 Posted at 2018-1-9 12:57
The Spark manual doesn’t say that the home point should be set manually, so that’s irrelevant.

There are many things not written in the manual.
Also the instruction manual was written for the first firmware released by SPARK and not for the faulty firmware which happens to be the later ones !!
2018-1-9
Use props
dmsea1
lvl.1
United States

ADDvanced Posted at 2018-1-2 18:13
I just had a fly away too.  And I had just updated the app, prior to flying it on 12-30.  Not sure if this is related.  It was flying fine, then a compass error, and saying P-GPS, and IMUen Countersheading or something.

Then it just flew off and wouldn't respond.

I am a new flyer, just got the Spark this past weekend.  I remember reading that you need to recalibrate the Compass and IMU when there is a firmware update.  Maybe that was the issue?
2018-1-9
Use props
dmsea1
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for the update, and glad to hear they took care of you, too bad on the SD card though.  
Were you using an OTG cable with the remote or wifi?
2018-1-9
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
United States

The SD card, have you ever done a screenshot and had the settings set to show the available space / capacity of the SD card?
IMG_20180110_135720.JPG
2018-1-9
Use props
xfirf_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 194911 ft
Germany

Great to hear that you received support and everything has been resolved.

Also thanks for giving this feedback here.
2018-1-10
Use props
fans4b963ee7
lvl.3
United Kingdom

S.J Posted at 2018-1-9 20:33
that's not true. Distance doesn't depend on a country. It depends on how you configure your SPARK !

Oh really? Perhaps you’d like to enlighten us on how someone in the uk can configure their Spark to fly in fcc mode when they’re in the uk - without invalidating the warranty or affecting the Spark so that if something went wrong you could still get a repair/replacement under warranty?
2018-1-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

dmsea1 Posted at 2018-1-9 21:49
I am a new flyer, just got the Spark this past weekend.  I remember reading that you need to recalibrate the Compass and IMU when there is a firmware update.  Maybe that was the issue?

Where did you read that, it says opposite in your manual.
2018-1-10
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Kuwait

fans4b963ee7 Posted at 2018-1-10 01:27
Oh really? Perhaps you’d like to enlighten us on how someone in the uk can configure their Spark to fly in fcc mode when they’re in the uk - without invalidating the warranty or affecting the Spark so that if something went wrong you could still get a repair/replacement under warranty?

You have to use a third party software like NLD
2018-1-10
Use props
fans4b963ee7
lvl.3
United Kingdom

S.J Posted at 2018-1-10 05:15
You have to use a third party software like NLD

Which would invalidate your warranty. Lose your Spark using NLD and you won’t get one under warranty.
2018-1-10
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Kuwait

fans4b963ee7 Posted at 2018-1-10 05:32
Which would invalidate your warranty. Lose your Spark using NLD and you won’t get one under warranty.

that's what NLD guarantees. We will never lose the SPARK using NLD software.
2018-1-10
Use props
warrenski
lvl.4
South Africa

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-1-9 13:41
After your kind PM I wish to join expressing my happiness about the good outcome also here! Thanks to DJI first of all. For your new Spark I wish you always happy landings! :-)

Thanks again @Wachtberger!

I'm naming my new Spark "phoenix" as it's risen from the ashes haha
2018-1-10
Use props
warrenski
lvl.4
South Africa

dmsea1 Posted at 2018-1-9 21:49

Welcome @dmsea1. It could have been the case that recalibration was necessary, but I'd prefer to only do this if/when prompted by the software. If it's necessary after a firmware update, then it should be an easy thing for DJI to enforce in the software.
2018-1-10
Use props
warrenski
lvl.4
South Africa

dmsea1 Posted at 2018-1-9 21:51
Thanks for the update, and glad to hear they took care of you, too bad on the SD card though.  
Were you using an OTG cable with the remote or wifi?

I was using the RC with a wifi connection.
2018-1-10
Use props
warrenski
lvl.4
South Africa

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-1-9 23:00
The SD card, have you ever done a screenshot and had the settings set to show the available space / capacity of the SD card?
[view_image]

That's actually a very clever thought! Unfortunately I didn't take a screenshot, but I will make sure to do that with the new card.
2018-1-10
Use props
dmsea1
lvl.1
United States

warrenski Posted at 2018-1-10 13:39
Welcome @dmsea1. It could have been the case that recalibration was necessary, but I'd prefer to only do this if/when prompted by the software. If it's necessary after a firmware update, then it should be an easy thing for DJI to enforce in the software.

Yeah, I totally agree.  They should prompt you to re-calibrate if needed.  I have watched so many vids trying to get caught up to speed, and someone had said that it is a good practice to re-calibrate both if there is a firmware update - but likely not a necessity and more of a precaution.  Something that I think I will do moving forward to be on the safe side.  Thanks again for the reply!  
2018-1-10
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

warrenski Posted at 2018-1-10 13:36
Thanks again @Wachtberger!

I'm naming my new Spark "phoenix" as it's risen from the ashes haha

Excellent choice!
2018-1-10
Use props
dmsea1
lvl.1
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-10 03:20
Where did you read that, it says opposite in your manual.

I have watched so many videos and read the manual(s), including the one that you have to download, and I have found a lot of conflicting information.  Where in one case, I have heard to only re-calibrate when asked or going over 100 miles from original calibration - and another saying it is a good practice to re-calibrate after a firmware update, but most of this is personal experience and just recommendations.  But also have read that even though the software says there isn't a problem with the IMU or compass, that doesn't mean you did a good initial calibration - so just trying to reduce the noise and get a good process to minimize fly aways.  
2018-1-10
Use props
Neroangelo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7441 ft
United Kingdom

fans4b963ee7 Posted at 2018-1-9 13:00
Not in Europe. That only applies in the US.

I can't find anything that says Europe should be any different...
2018-1-20
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Neroangelo Posted at 2018-1-20 15:28
I can't find anything that says Europe should be any different...

Europe is CE mode, US is FCC mode. Just read the specs again carefully.
2018-1-20
Use props
Neroangelo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7441 ft
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-1-20 15:55
Europe is CE mode, US is FCC mode. Just read the specs again carefully.

I stand corrected....
2018-1-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules