Indoor realestate video with the Spark, thoughts on this video?
12Next >
7445 50 2017-12-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mariuss
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2480515 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Hello!

I recently came across a challenge which couldn't be done with the P4, que the spark. My task is to present an apartment; and this, with the spark as my only tool. The video below is not a finished product and i have logos or other information regarding the complex. Note that colorgrading and finetuning of stable pictures is not done. Your opinion is greatly appriciated!

2017-12-23
Use props
Fox Keegan
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10932 ft
United States

I mean, it looks really good!

But I can't see why I'd risk a potential crash flying indoors for stable videos, so I'm assuming you just walked with the drone in your hand while shooting the footage? Kinda like using it as an OSMO?

Honestly I looked at doing this but my phone has great stability control and 1080p so it's never worth the effort.
2017-12-23
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

It’s great outdoor, but indoor I would use a 360 degree camera (dual fisheye cameras are cheap nowadays) to get a better overview.
2017-12-23
Use props
fans7395dc4f
lvl.2
New Zealand

The spark is the first drone I have flown inside, it holds position really well and is easy to place precisely.
I did have a problem in dark hallway, it could no longer track its position and started to drift.
The video is excellent, not sure if the flutter from the propellers is a problem or not.
2017-12-23
Use props
rimza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3307 ft
Brunei

Good job on the video. Single bedroom apartment/studio with nice view of landscape. BTW whereabouts is the place?
2017-12-24
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

I am quite impressed but would slow down a number of the movements. Thank you for sharing.
2017-12-24
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

In my eyes there is really no need, to do the indoor by drone.
Get yourself a osmo mobil, which will do the same but with less noise and less to worry about a "fly away/atti switch"
just my2c
2017-12-24
Use props
manolism
Second Officer
Flight distance : 53035 ft
Greece

Nice video!! I liked it!!
Personally i am afraid to fly my spark indoor, perhaps because is my first drone and i have it two weeks only, but is a challenge for me to do it, only for the experience.
2017-12-24
Use props
Mark S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41801 ft
United States

I also liked it.  It does a good job at telling the story about this property.  I liked the outside view with the tag on the unit and when you flew to the balcony door.

You could debate that using some other camera is better indoors but with some practice you probably could enhance the story even more.  It was clear you were in good control of the Spark.  It would be cool to fly out of the balcony door, turn around with a bit of perspective view of the balcony, then fly back in.  Maybe with somebody siting on the balcony sipping a cup of coffee.  You might want to practice this carefully since you would be going in and out of ATTI and GPS modes.

Photography and videography are story telling tools.  To sell a piece of property you need a story that helps the buyer get some "feelings" about living there.  I don't know if you sell real estate but this type of presentation could help you "stand out in a crowd" and show something different about a property that you just cannot do with a conventional camera.  Depending on the specific needs you could combine some conventional photography with drone video.  All of this would work with high rise building or smaller single story units.

Get creative but stay safe and fly carefully.
2017-12-24
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Fox Keegan Posted at 2017-12-23 23:15
I mean, it looks really good!

But I can't see why I'd risk a potential crash flying indoors for stable videos, so I'm assuming you just walked with the drone in your hand while shooting the footage? Kinda like using it as an OSMO?

Thank you for a great Reply Keegan!

I did fly this with the controller, nothing is handheld. I'm not really concerned about crashing flying inside either, as i used the propguards and feel comfortable doing it. One could of course considering using a osmo and an iphone to do this. Maybe it would be better or worse, depending on the operator. Not sure if i answer your question to the fullest but thought of this as a challenge maybe?
2017-12-25
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

heliman Posted at 2017-12-23 23:56
It’s great outdoor, but indoor I would use a 360 degree camera (dual fisheye cameras are cheap nowadays) to get a better overview.

Thanks heliman, i'll look into this! Not sure if the fisheye would make a "nicer" looking result though?
2017-12-25
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

fans7395dc4f Posted at 2017-12-23 23:57
The spark is the first drone I have flown inside, it holds position really well and is easy to place precisely.
I did have a problem in dark hallway, it could no longer track its position and started to drift.
The video is excellent, not sure if the flutter from the propellers is a problem or not.

Thanks fans!

Flutter from the propellers, what exactly is that? I'm guessing one can see the propellers in the video if flutter is present?
2017-12-25
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

rimza Posted at 2017-12-24 00:47
Good job on the video. Single bedroom apartment/studio with nice view of landscape. BTW whereabouts is the place?

Thanks Rimza! You got the message right

This is in the westcoast of Norway
2017-12-25
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-12-24 01:30
I am quite impressed but would slow down a number of the movements. Thank you for sharing.

Agreed wachtberger! I did film all of this in 30fps as the spark (dji pay attention)  is incombatible filming anything else. Tried to slow down but the jitter becam present quickly unfortunately :/
2017-12-25
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-12-24 03:08
In my eyes there is really no need, to do the indoor by drone.
Get yourself a osmo mobil, which will do the same but with less noise and less to worry about a "fly away/atti switch"
just my2c

I see your point 7! I would think of this more as a gimmick or challenge of some sort. Will look into an osmo if this needed
2017-12-25
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

manolism Posted at 2017-12-24 06:47
Nice video!! I liked it!!
Personally i am afraid to fly my spark indoor, perhaps because is my first drone and i have it two weeks only, but is a challenge for me to do it, only for the experience.

Thank you manolism! It's a great experience to have, i try to get comfortable in all enviroments
2017-12-25
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Mark S Posted at 2017-12-24 07:18
I also liked it.  It does a good job at telling the story about this property.  I liked the outside view with the tag on the unit and when you flew to the balcony door.

You could debate that using some other camera is better indoors but with some practice you probably could enhance the story even more.  It was clear you were in good control of the Spark.  It would be cool to fly out of the balcony door, turn around with a bit of perspective view of the balcony, then fly back in.  Maybe with somebody siting on the balcony sipping a cup of coffee.  You might want to practice this carefully since you would be going in and out of ATTI and GPS modes.

Thank you Mark for some great feedback!

Using a slr-camera would be the better option i reckon for the indoor use, given that the guy behind the camera is stable and smooth. Your idea of getting a perspective with some coffeesippers and maybe some views is great! I did fly in and out of the apartment but as you said, the spark went in and out of atti/gps which made the scene not so smooth. I do not sell real estate, this is a test on how to present an apartment in a new manner to "stand out". This was 5 stories up and i tried to show that in the video as well, but also minimezed in/outdoor to prevent crashed etc. This is the first time i do this kind of project as i normally do bigger projects covering lets say the entire area and POI's nearby if that makes sense.

Have a nice day and thanks again!  
2017-12-25
Use props
LeeWireless
lvl.4
United States

Looks great for a first attempt.  Music is perfect.  
2017-12-25
Use props
Ben Palino
lvl.3
Flight distance : 382221 ft
Greece

Impressive, it definately works fine indoors. It could benefit from a 60fps mode though cause  I don't know how easy is to fly a Mavic indoors. Well Done!
2017-12-26
Use props
Cameron Dasso
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6115 ft
United States

That is really impressive. I read where others have said that you could do the same thing with a handheld device but I think it's really cool that you did it with a drone. Someone has to do different things to open up more possibilities. Awesome!
2017-12-26
Use props
Brambleman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20627 ft
United States

Mariuss Posted at 2017-12-25 15:57
I see your point 7! I would think of this more as a gimmick or challenge of some sort. Will look into an osmo if this needed

Why pay for an Osmo? Just hold the aircraft in your hand, hit record, and walk around with it. The gimbal and camera are operational when the AC is on without the props spinning
2017-12-26
Use props
mtnlandpix
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I do real estate photography. A Spark or even an Osmo doesn't have either a wide enough angle lens nor the low light capability of a DSLR. I usually use a 10MM lens and HDR photography.  I shoot lots of log homes with somewhat dark interiors.  This would be impossible with a Spark or an Osmo.
I am not throwing shade on your video.  You did an amazing job with a Spark.  You must be a confident pilot.  Keep droning!
2017-12-26
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

Mariuss Posted at 2017-12-25 15:51
Thanks heliman, i'll look into this! Not sure if the fisheye would make a "nicer" looking result though?

A good resource is http://360rumors.com
I use the xiaomi mijia
2017-12-27
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Job done me thinks. Good views. Nice apartment. Not sure about the surrounding area though, looks a little remote for me. Nice countryside views. I'm in..
2017-12-27
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Ben Palino Posted at 2017-12-26 15:36
Impressive, it definately works fine indoors. It could benefit from a 60fps mode though cause  I don't know how easy is to fly a Mavic indoors. Well Done!

Thanks Ben!

Would love to have som options on the spark. 30fps only is very limiting as one can see in the faster scenes ( who i would love to slow down)
2017-12-28
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Cameron Dasso Posted at 2017-12-26 15:50
That is really impressive. I read where others have said that you could do the same thing with a handheld device but I think it's really cool that you did it with a drone. Someone has to do different things to open up more possibilities. Awesome!

Thanks Cameron!

Nice to see that we share this view!
2017-12-28
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Brambleman Posted at 2017-12-26 15:58
Why pay for an Osmo? Just hold the aircraft in your hand, hit record, and walk around with it. The gimbal and camera are operational when the AC is on without the props spinning

If i have to hold my spark to do a shot i need to practice more imho. This entire sequence was shot during a period of 10-20 minutes as I was in a hurry so i had to stick with these shots but would love to do some more to get it exactly how i want. BUT i tried today to do a handheld and it does not look good actually, might be my unstable gimblearm though!
Edit: correction in last sentence
2017-12-28
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

mtnlandpix Posted at 2017-12-26 19:41
I do real estate photography. A Spark or even an Osmo doesn't have either a wide enough angle lens nor the low light capability of a DSLR. I usually use a 10MM lens and HDR photography.  I shoot lots of log homes with somewhat dark interiors.  This would be impossible with a Spark or an Osmo.
I am not throwing shade on your video.  You did an amazing job with a Spark.  You must be a confident pilot.  Keep droning!

Any feedback is good feedback! I was thinking about this when shooting. The apartment was really bright so the camera did okay imo. But as you say the lens is somewhat narrow which makes the video a little less informative as to see the size of for example the main room.

Thanks mtnlandpix!
2017-12-28
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

heliman Posted at 2017-12-27 00:56
A good resource is http://360rumors.com
I use the xiaomi mijia

Thanks Heliman!
2017-12-28
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

CoreyB10 Posted at 2017-12-27 03:32
Job done me thinks. Good views. Nice apartment. Not sure about the surrounding area though, looks a little remote for me. Nice countryside views. I'm in..

Thanks Corey!

Its actually a 4  minutes drive from citycentral and one basically live at the mountains Norway
2017-12-28
Use props
fans7395dc4f
lvl.2
New Zealand

Mariuss Posted at 2017-12-25 15:53
Thanks fans!

Flutter from the propellers, what exactly is that? I'm guessing one can see the propellers in the video if flutter is present?

At 40 seconds the image flashes. It might be light reflecting off the blades.
2018-1-22
Use props
DTL555
lvl.3
Flight distance : 177313 ft
  • >>>
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Great video, I like it a lot!
2018-1-22
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm not an advocate of indoor flying but this was an impressive video.
2018-1-22
Use props
Solestacz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 489193 ft
United States

great job of piloting and editing - great way to preview the property
2018-1-22
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

cool video ..
2018-1-22
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

I like it, all my flying has been inside so far (crap weather)  my Spark is well behaved inside. But I’ve read some stories. Flying out the window and away from the building is a neat image.
2018-1-22
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

DTL555 Posted at 2018-1-22 12:03
Great video, I like it a lot!

Thanks DTL555!
2018-1-22
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

A CW Posted at 2018-1-22 12:07
I'm not an advocate of indoor flying but this was an impressive video.

Thanks A CW!
2018-1-22
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Solestacz Posted at 2018-1-22 12:16
great job of piloting and editing - great way to preview the property

Thank you! Its a new perspective, I've never done this before so wasnt sure what and how to do this but the result is okay for what it is!
2018-1-22
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Thank you!
2018-1-22
Use props
12Next >
Advanced