Nevada Was Made For Drones
1921 31 2015-4-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
grangerfx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

This is my first serious attempt at making a video with my DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus. The video was recorded over the past week during my trip to Las Vegas for NAB 2015.

2015-4-18
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Granger,

I'm still up editing too. Hey, your link isn't working.

Jerry
2015-4-18
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
United States

jtrjr@yahoo.com Posted at 2015-4-18 16:59
Granger,

I'm still up editing too. Hey, your link isn't working.

It is too late for me to be editing posts. I wanted to say that I added a direct link. Perhaps I need more points to post a YouTube video or embed HTML.
2015-4-18
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

Mark,

I cut the link and pasted it into YouTube. It's 4:05am here, I was shooting videos last night and I've been editing since. I'm on my 4-5 cup of coffee since 11:00pm, so no booze talking here. That was awesome! The best I've seen yet bar none! Makes me want to trash everything I just spent the last 15 hours doing. I'm going to learn a great deal from that video. I can't wait to see your next one. You need to fix that link so others don't pass it by. A true inspiration! Great F'ing job!

Jerry
2015-4-18
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
United States

jtrjr@yahoo.com Posted at 2015-4-18 17:15
Mark,

I cut the link and pasted it into YouTube. It's 4:05am here, I was shooting videos last night ...

Thanks Jerry. That made staying up this late worth it. I deleted the failed embed attempt and left the direct URL link which seems to work for me every time. I used iMovie which I am starting to like now after considerable fumbling. This is only about the fourth movie I have edited. Let me tell you my secret:

When the movie "Dances With Wolves" came out, it won the oscar for cinematography. Later I heard a film expert grouse that all you had to do to win the oscar for shooting in that location was to turn on the camera and remember to remove the lens cap. Nevada has scenery like that too. I just select the best cuts and try to match the breaks in the music. That's all. Everything else is somewhat random.

I should also say that the real star here is the DJI Phantom Vision 2 Plus. It can make a complete amature like me look like an expert.

2015-4-18
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

Well you sure did it Man. I just checked the link here and it's a go. Wow, that was super! Now back to mine, don't bother watching them. It will only confirm that you did a great job. Good night or morning, whatever the heck it is!

Jerry
2015-4-18
Use props
Swerve
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Really nice video Mark. The music really adds to the enjoyment and very well put together. What is BLM land?
2015-4-18
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

Bureau of Land Management
2015-4-18
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

That is really spectacular! Fantastic video, and incredible views.
2015-4-18
Use props
Axeman This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-4-18
Use props
Swerve
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Is that like common land in the US?
2015-4-18
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

Swerve Posted at 2015-4-18 17:54
Is that like common land in the US?

Yes, it's basically Government land I believe and yes, all over the country as far as I know.

Jerry
2015-4-18
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

Axeman Posted at 2015-4-18 17:52
Awesome job Granger and the music was perfect for the landscape.

Axe,

We've got a lot of catching up to do after that one! Maybe I should go back to how fast and how far, just use the camera for video verification.

Jerry
2015-4-18
Use props
Axeman This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-4-18
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

If that was your first serious attempt at making a video,  I can't wait to see your future attempts.  This one is AWESOME.  It makes me want to make another trip out that way and do video myself.
2015-4-18
Use props
buzzcbr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316545 ft
United Kingdom

awesome !!!!
2015-4-18
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

Wow!  That is one beautiful video.  Wonderful scenery/locations.  Excellent flying too.  Well done!
2015-4-18
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

Oh, Here we go again......A new abbreviation......
2015-4-18
Use props
tonyray955
lvl.3

United States

Great video and editing too the music fits Nevada.

I live in Dayton Nevada which is about 15 miles east of Carson City so I know what your talking about.  
2015-4-18
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
United States

Thanks everyone! There is really nothing to making videos like this. Here are some things I do:
Drive for hours, fly for minutes.
Shoot a lot of video and use the 10% that will accidentally look good.
Fly in long straight lines but not so fast that the fans are visible.
EDIT THE VIDEO! (I can't stress that enough)
Find a good piece of music and check it first with YouTube to see if you can use it.
2015-4-18
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

grangerfx@gmail Posted at 2015-4-19 00:50
Thanks everyone! There is really nothing to making videos like this. Here are some things I do:
Driv ...

Mark,

How do you check it with YouTube first?

Jerry
2015-4-18
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

Can I add a little green and say California isn't too bad for the Phantom videohttp://youtu.be/jYb7OBKP6Qo
2015-4-18
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

jtrjr@yahoo.com Posted at 2015-4-19 00:52
Mark,

I don't think Vimeo checks for copyrights on the music.  I put a video there and used the ending theme from Jurassic Park and it's still on.  I know Youtube does check.
2015-4-18
Use props
Swerve
lvl.3

United Kingdom

jtrjr@yahoo.com Posted at 2015-4-18 17:56
Yes, it's basically Government land I believe and yes, all over the country as far as I know.

Jer ...

Cheers! Much appreciated.
2015-4-18
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-4-19 01:02
I don't think Vimeo checks for copyrights on the music.  I put a video there and used the ending t ...

Gerry,

I've got my hands full with YouTube and all this other stuff I'm doing! I'm not learning and signing up for Vimeo now too!

Jerry
2015-4-18
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
United States

jtrjr@yahoo.com Posted at 2015-4-19 00:52
Mark,

YouTube has a page where you can look up the song you want to see if you can use it in a video:

https://www.youtube.com/audiolibrary/ad_supported_music
2015-4-18
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Man, that is some wide open country!  

Some really nice cuts; I particularly liked the one with the bird soaring along with the camera and the one with the dust devil off in the distance.  I am so glad I finally have a fiber optic connection so I can watch all these videos in HiDef and see all the details that I might otherwise miss.  Seeing those abandoned buildings and long straights roads seeming to go nowhere just made me wonder if those were the sites of some of the Atomic tests back in the 1950's.

At one point in the video a different sound track popped into my head because it reminded me of driving across those straight and seemingly endless roads out west back in the 1970's and the song on the radio was "America's A horse with no name" -- can't help but see that movie play back in my head whenever I hear that song.

The sweetest shot has got to be that spectacular end where the music fades and you drop down into the shadow of the mountain to create your own version of a "fade to black".
2015-4-18
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

jtrjr@yahoo.com Posted at 2015-4-19 01:11
Gerry,

I've got my hands full with YouTube and all this other stuff I'm doing! I'm not learning a ...

I didn't suggest that you should.  
2015-4-18
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
United States

gil Posted at 2015-4-19 02:07
Man, that is some wide open country!  

Some really nice cuts; I particularly liked the one with the ...

Thanks! Remember all those shots were pure luck. There was no plan to them. I just picked the best from what I had when I edited the video. In other words: Don't stress about shots. Just fly.
2015-4-18
Use props
bahamasboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13845 ft
United States

Chiming in here!  DAYAM that was good!  However fav shot for this guy was the glide into the sunset and dropping into the shadow!  NICE setup and forethought!
2015-4-25
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
United States

bahamasboy@aol. Posted at 2015-4-26 12:30
Chiming in here!  DAYAM that was good!  However fav shot for this guy was the glide into the sunset  ...

I wish that was true. I just landed the drone and I was in the shadow of the hill at the time. The resulting video was purely accidental but looked awesome so I added it to the end of the video where it seemed to belong. The only actual forethought was in the editing.
2015-4-26
Use props
bahamasboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13845 ft
United States

Grange... you mean to say.... "Thanks, I waited 12 hours for that shot and measure the rate of the sunset which would allow me to glide into the shadow with seconds to spare"   right???  LOL
2015-4-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules