Dynamic Home Point gone on RC?
6750 75 2015-4-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-4-21 06:23
rain/cold/wind today, no flying for me brother.
40kt gusts tomorrow as well.

Thanks for the update.. Yup stay indoors.. Better safe than sorry!
2015-4-20
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

GENETTICO Posted at 2015-4-21 07:55
That is great news.. Can you record your flight log via shou app or the like and share it with us? ...

Whidbey island WA. 2:30 PM  71 degrees F , KP is 3 which is quiet...pretty much and really depends on where you are. Flew at a local soccer fields park near my home it's huge and vacant often so it's great to test everything ..  no objects except a small cyclone fence 25 feet behind me , and my car . Otherwise just grass distant trees surrounding the area.. Was in GPS mode ,rth wouldn't work otherwise , iPad in airplane mode .
2015-4-20
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

I'm in airplane mode , but I have location services turned on which is for some apps that need your GPS location to work fully  , I have the iPads privacy setting for location services switched on for the dji pilot app.
2015-4-20
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

daver/m Posted at 2015-4-21 11:07
I'm in airplane mode , but I have location services turned on which is for some apps that need your  ...

This is great info Daver thank you for sharing! You thus far is the only person that has been able to set it and shared it woth us.

My understanding of putting your mini in airplane mode is that it disables the internal gps mode, nonetheless you must have had great reception on RC and not needed the "extra signal boost". can I bother you one last time and ask you if you can share a video of your flight log data? You. Should be able tk record it using the SHOU app screen recorder and then just uploading to youtube or just record with other device right of the screen.
If you do not have the app installed, you can get it here:

Using your ipad... Just click on the link provided on the description of video above! It will then ask you if you want to install app.

Thank you again for your time and for sharing this info!

Btw..and in case you did not know..... If you are in attitude mode and if you had recorded a home point sucesfully and the bird is still getting enough GPS signal.. RTH can be used. If the bird looses signal to RC.. Meaning.. You do not necessarily have to be on GPS mode in order to use RTH... Though it is the best way!
2015-4-20
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

i will look into your suggestion and try to post my flight , yes I realize in atti you can use rth , when I tested the other day and reset home point to rc it did not show the new home point at the rc until a few seconds after I tripped the rth button it asended then turned towards my position and then the new  rc position popped up on the app .. Can't say why it didn't show imeadiatly I'd of thought it would show the new rc location without initiating rth , next test will be on the move with the rc unit to see if it will continue to update the rc location as I'm moving around the test field ...

2015-4-22
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

Go to settings scroll down to privacy icon open it see location services at top open it , see if it's switched on then look below to see which apps you allow to use your GPS location  you'll see each app that needs GPS and can select never or while using app.. I have mine set to (while using) for the dji pilot app, google,  Google maps, weather radar, quake feed, tide graph, etc .. I'm Not positive the location feature still works in airplane mode ?  ... Anyone else have the answer,  is location services GPS off when the iPad is in airplane mode ?
2015-4-22
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

After checking out some of the apps using location services the apps didn't work , although on my weather radar the map moves when I hit the apps location button but no map just a blank grid,  so...? It's still using the GPS it seems for this to happen but then I'm not an expert of anything .. Anyone ?
2015-4-22
Use props
Rockeyes
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Surely a point here is that the DJI Controller is a primary GPS receiver (the other on the bird) . If the monitor / tablet we use has a GPS receiver built in and if compatible, it is used as a BACK-UP to the MAIN DJI GPS unit.  

So what I gather by these posts is that since the latest firmware installation, the backup GPS on the monitors is always required for an accurate fix!   Due to the main DJI GPS is not working correctly we are relying on a users iPad etc for an accurate fix.

It would be nice to see the amount and strength of the  GPS satellites being received by the Bird and the controller.
2015-4-22
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

GENETTICO Posted at 2015-4-19 23:06
USing SHOU app...

click on this link:

Flight record at
2015-4-22
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

The iPad mini was in airplane mode with my Bluetooth and wifi turned off too ,  and has no cellular account activated. All bird and RC GPS.
Only time I did link the iPad to my iPhone's hotspot was before liftoff for the pilot apps map location to come up, then unlinked and back to airplane mode. The pilot apps post flight video shows me resetting to the RC twice once just left of the birds take off home lock and again I walk farther to my right and reset to the RC , next I hit rth , and when she gets back to me , I retook control doing a 180 in place...
it works quite well for me.
2015-4-22
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

Rockeyes Posted at 2015-4-23 04:11
Surely a point here is that the DJI Controller is a primary GPS receiver (the other on the bird) . I ...

No it's the birds and the RC units GPS plugged to the Ipad giving the iPad the GPS signal for the map all the way as far as I see it , or ?? Anyone...
2015-4-22
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

daver/m Posted at 2015-4-23 05:47
No it's the birds and the RC units GPS plugged to the Ipad giving the iPad the GPS signal for the  ...

Not quite all the way as you mention it.. as I did tests,what I was told By DJI, and  my understanding ( though it could be flawed) and the videos I posted..
The App displays the combination of the strenght of both signals (RC MODULE and Tablet). If your reception is great on both or either (separately) then it will display it as such. (Blue dot and even orientation) If your reception is poor on the rc and you have the Tablet on airplane mode thus not allowing GPS of it, to compliment RC's gps module, then the app displays the red dot and perhaps not even the orientation of your Rc, but if you then turn the Airplane mode OFF and the tablet aids the reception... the dot now turns to BLUE as the reception has now being "enhanced".
You can see this on one of my videos.
IF the icon is only displaying the rc reception (without GPS signal from tablet) so then it should not make a difference on displayed information when you turn from airplane mode to regular mode.
2015-4-22
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

daver/m Posted at 2015-4-23 05:22
Flight record at

Daver,

Thank you so much for taking this much time on providing data to all of us. The video is great, and it shows just as you described. I guess I have to do more testing on more locations and see if I can make it work under other myriad of environments. I am excited it has worked for you, because it means that We might also have a chance it will for us too, but I am dissapointed on how poor the reception of  the RC's GPS module is.
I also got concerned watching your video, as it showed it set the home point to rc the first time, yet it did not change its location to match.. It only did so after you walked somewhere else, and it only recorded it after you hit the rth. Do you remember seeing it in the map whenyou were flying? Or does the log match your recollection of what happened?
Thank you again, your data is invaluable.
This is the video I referenced above:

http://youtu.be/Ia_sjREFyfo

2015-4-22
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

GENETTICO Posted at 2015-4-23 06:34
Daver,

Thank you so much for taking this much time on providing data to all of us. The video is g ...

If you watch again you'll see I update to RC to my left of the home point a few feet , that is when I walked to my right 30 feet or so and the blue icon disappears the RC is already now in auto update and on app as I stop walking the blue dot reappears at the RCs new location  (Then I hit the update to RC a second time ) you watch close and see the update RC note on the app the second time it's just after the blue dot appears at my new location that I walked to that it does update again but you can almost miss it cause it's so close to the RC already... Hope that makes sense , watch the RC units blue icon and the updated home to RC message on the app then you'll see it did auto update the RC position it just didn't show til I stopped walking for a moment , which makes sense as the GPS is doing its job , the previous firmware must have had the GPS set real sensitive I'm guessing thus the blue RC icon jumping all over the place , might have been setup that way for the auto update so it would keep up with the RCs movement more in realtime ...
Who knows but it works fine on the test field ..
2015-4-22
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

GENETTICO Posted at 2015-4-23 06:28
Not quite all the way as you mention it.. as I did tests,what I was told By DJI, and  my understan ...

Very good then ! Thanks .
2015-4-22
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

daver/m Posted at 2015-4-23 07:16
If you watch again you'll see I update to RC to my left of the home point a few feet , that is whe ...

Dave,
Since you took the time to record your screen and described your environment, I figured it would only be fair if I tested whether or not we turn off GPS module on our tablets( it tried ipad air on this test), when on Airplane mode.
Please watch this video I just made. While it does not conclusively determines the findings... It certainly let us know that it is using the GPS module, WIFI signals to triangulate position, or a combination of... But it is for sure using something..... My guess would be the GPS module!

http://youtu.be/Q1c6nQXdbns
2015-4-22
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

GENETTICO Posted at 2015-4-23 08:07
Dave,
Since you took the time to record your screen and described your environment, I figured it  ...

Excellent , I'm going to try it again and see if it works both ways just as you did , I thought it should and did work this way but couldn't get it to earlier today .. Thank you very good then !
2015-4-22
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

Ok I did something wrong in testing the iPads GPS when in airplane , should have known I guess? the iPad is receiving GPS all the time. Makes sense I had to find a ran over destroyed iPad once with the clouds find my iPad feature , I was able to follow it in real time as it moved 25 miles from where it fell off the top of a jeep , to a house the guy there found it on the road it was crushed and  we were both amazed at the fact it still could receive GPS , I'm telling you it was trashed took a direct hit and GPS still up and going so there you go ..
2015-4-22
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

Tested again gets GPS all the Time.
2015-4-22
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

Repost flight log in real time . RC home point auto update feature and auto return to home point .
2015-4-22
Use props
tdhines81
lvl.2
Flight distance : 988406 ft
United States

Got RC GPS location set for me.  Try flying the copter about 70' away from your location, then try to set RC GPS location.  It seems to work.  If I try to set RC location 5 or 10 feet away from inspire 1 location, it won,t work.  Using iPad air 2.
2015-4-23
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

tdhines81 Posted at 2015-4-24 04:34
Got RC GPS location set for me.  Try flying the copter about 70' away from your location, then try t ...

Great tip..thank you..l makes sense and will try it out tomorrow!
2015-4-23
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

tdhines81 Posted at 2015-4-24 04:34
Got RC GPS location set for me.  Try flying the copter about 70' away from your location, then try t ...

No go... i have tried just about anything.... Time for a dreaded call to DJI.
2015-4-26
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

GENETTICO Posted at 2015-4-26 20:28
No go... i have tried just about anything.... Time for a dreaded call to DJI.

It's not you.  Mine does the same thing - tested it several times yesterday.  You can reset Home Point to the bird's position any time you want, but it ALWAYS reports that the controller has insufficient GPS signal to use its position as the new Home.  Which is obviously a problem, since I think that would be the most common desire.  If I move, I want to set the point to where I am now - not where the aircraft is - probably at least 80% of the time.  My experience was that this failure occurred regardless of the relative positions of the aircraft and controller.

So in your dreaded call to DJI... let 'em know it's not just your system.
2015-4-26
Use props
tdhines81
lvl.2
United States

PeteGould Posted at 2015-4-26 20:46
It's not you.  Mine does the same thing - tested it several times yesterday.  You can reset Home Po ...

I tried it again just now and it works if the inspire is 70 to 80 feet away from the RC controller.  Sometimes I have hit the reset RC home point more than one time.  I always like to set inspire home point and RC home point at beginning of flight.  Again sometimes I have to set RC home point a couple times just seconds apart.  Some work some don't.  I do think their is a problem as well.
2015-4-26
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

tdhines81 Posted at 2015-4-27 09:26
I tried it again just now and it works if the inspire is 70 to 80 feet away from the RC controller ...

Yeah - I had read that if the Inspire is a distance away from the controller it will sometimes work.  I tried it several times with the bird hundreds of feet from the controller without success.  Glad to hear others are doing better.
2015-4-26
Use props
tim.durham00
lvl.1

United Kingdom

And me, I cant get it to recognise the RC as the home point at all.
2015-4-27
Use props
tdhines81
lvl.2
United States

upgraded to latest firmware and Dji pilot app if iPad air 2.   Now bird gps and RC controller will not set home point at all from ground.  Then if I take off in the air and move about 5' while the bird is in the air the bird location can set home point and the RC controller can set home point as well.  This is beginning to get rediculous for a quad that cost close to $3000.  I may have to go back to my APM board with mission planner and way points.  Come on.......don't they test releases.  This is a waste of my time.
2015-5-7
Use props
healbunny
lvl.2

Canada

I updated everything today, and flown it in park for 30 mins today, nothing wrong.  However, I found something very interesting compare to last app update. My tablet  (Samsung tabs 8.4 lte) will constant use the GPS when enter the dji pilot app. Maybe the RC constant use my tablet's GPS for accurate dynamic home point function, because I found my position was very accurate on the map (I move, the dot will move).
2015-5-7
Use props
healbunny
lvl.2

Canada

maybe you guys need a tablet with GPS on board (not wifi GPS like ipad wifi modes)...I believe only lte version has the real GPS module
2015-5-7
Use props
tdhines81
lvl.2
United States

Just went out and retested to be sure.  Bird and RC controller will not set home point at all while setting on ground.  When I arm bird, bird gps location will set correctly.  I rechecked the RC controller gps location and the location was not correct 65 to 300' off.  Seemed like it wandered around some.  Should I put iPad air 2 in airplane mode?
2015-5-7
Use props
michael1.woods
lvl.1

United States

tdhines81 Posted at 2015-5-7 16:53
Just went out and retested to be sure.  Bird and RC controller will not set home point at all while  ...

I've been having problems acquiring a gps signal using an both a iPad mini (wifi only) and  iPhone 6s which has gps capability - so I decided to buy a Garmin Glo for aviation to see if it helped at all. I tested it and here were the results:

ipad mini
- turning into airplane mode (everything off) the gps is not acquired at all
- turning on wifi and not connecting to a network the gps is acquired (blue dot appears) but setting dynamic home point doesn't work
- turning on bluetooth and connecting to the Garmin Glo gets me the blue dot and dynamic home point works maybe 40% of the time
- turning on bluetooth and connecting to the Garmin Glo gets blue dot - but this time I select RTH and THEN setting dynamic home point works 80% of the time

iphone 6s

- turning into airplane mode (everything off) the gps is not acquired at all
- turning OFF airplane mode gets blue dot but can't set dynamic home point
- turning on bluetooth and connecting to the Garmin Glo gets me the blue dot and dynamic home point works maybe 40% of the time
- turning on bluetooth and connecting to the Garmin Glo gets blue dot - but this time I select RTH and THEN setting dynamic home point works 80% of the time

Not sure what this all means but thought I'd share the results. Seems like getting an external GPS device gives the most reliable results.
2016-1-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

michael1.woods Posted at 2016-1-15 12:05
I've been having problems acquiring a gps signal using an both a iPad mini (wifi only) and  iPhone ...

Although you replied to a post that was 8 months old, thanks for doing the testing.
The GPS in the Inspire remote control works great for dynamic homepoint BUT not good enough to work with follow me. Just curious to see if your Garmin Glo and WiFi iPad Mini makes the follow me work or get errors.
2016-1-14
Use props
MichaelWoods
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-14 21:08
Although you replied to a post that was 8 months old, thanks for doing the testing.
The GPS in the ...

I tried the follow me with the Garmin Glo and my wifi iPad Mini (wifi off) and the follow me worked perfectly. The only error message I got was some kind of conflict error but I flicked the switch from F to P and back to F again, selected follow me again and it worked perfectly. I got up to 35mph and it kept up the whole time.
2016-1-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

MichaelWoods Posted at 2016-1-15 17:36
I tried the follow me with the Garmin Glo and my wifi iPad Mini (wifi off) and the follow me worke ...

That's great. I wondered how an external GPS would work. In my full size aircraft I had an original iPad and no GPS. I used to use a external GPS called Bad Elf and it worked really well. Then I bought a Dual XGPS150A and it was awesome.
2016-1-15
Use props
isa_aydin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 504692 ft
  • >>>
United States

my friends, let me explain, your problem. Neither you have problems with GPS  nor DJI did smth wrong. The problem is When you set homepoint to RC, app is getting GPS information from your device (phone or tablet you are using) not for Remote Control. Remote Control doesn't have any GPS devices inside. So when you use iPad Wifi it can not acquire GPS information. You have to use your mobile phone.

Let me explain what happened to me once. I was flying very very far away with my Phantom 4, using map, and really didn't care of my home point. I landed 3000ft away and turned of motors, and then restarted motors again, and at this moment it updated homepoint to its new location (3000ft away). So as you already understood there was no easy way to return home. I tried to set my home point to RC, but it gave me error saying can not acquire GPS signal. So without panic, I just turn off app, disconnect ipad mini wifi and put it  away. Then I connect my iPhone 6s, start the app, immediately go to MC settings, set homepoint to RC. This time it was successful and return  home safely.

I Hope it was helpful.  

Thanks
2016-3-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules