Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Climbing mountains; height restriction; max altitude
1779 5 2017-12-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ShortRouter
lvl.2
Germany

Can someone confirm this:

The Mavic doesn't measure actual AGL when the terrain changes. At low  altitude it uses the ultrasonic / infrared sensors for AGL measurement  but otherwise? From my understanding all it does is lock in the takeoff  point ASL and define it as 0 AGL. Once I attempt to "climb" a 6000 ft  mountain from ground level it will then inevitably refuse to climb any  further than the 1640 ft (500 m) "max altitude limit" from my takeoff  point...

1) Granted BLOS operation is permitted and
2) Actual AGL would be only around 30 ft (climbing close to the mountain)

How do I go about the 1640 ft height restriction then? Do I have to climb the mountain first, let the Mavic descend all the way down (sensors will give me "negative altitude") and then climb the mountain back to takeoff point on the top? Has anyone done this already?

Merry Xmas!

2017-12-25
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dude, you need to climb the mountain and then you will have 1640' plus 400' (in the US) in Europe you might have less.

Otherwise, find a .700 or less version and then hack the MP but you have been warned

"WITH GREAT POWERS COME GREAT RESPONSIBILITIES"       
2017-12-25
Use props
ShortRouter
lvl.2
Germany

dronist Posted at 2017-12-25 11:33
Dude, you need to climb the mountain and then you will have 1640' plus 400' (in the US) in Europe you might have less.

Otherwise, find a .700 or less version and then hack the MP but you have been warned

Yeah that's what I thought LOL. Seems pretty unnecessary, I'm on the lazier part myself that's why I'd like to let the drone check out what's up there instead climbing it myself hahaha
Gonna get them muscle legs because DJI makes me climb mountains whahaha
2017-12-25
Use props
trevor3
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1585568 ft
Jersey

ShortRouter Posted at 2017-12-25 12:04
Yeah that's what I thought LOL. Seems pretty unnecessary, I'm on the lazier part myself that's why I'd like to let the drone check out what's up there instead climbing it myself hahaha

I have taken off from 1850m or around 6000ft just fine and flown up a further 120m no problems you just need to climb up the mountain first
2017-12-25
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ShortRouter Posted at 2017-12-25 12:04
Yeah that's what I thought LOL. Seems pretty unnecessary, I'm on the lazier part myself that's why I'd like to let the drone check out what's up there instead climbing it myself hahaha

You can get those legs going or hack the MP it is your choice  

2017-12-25
Use props
ShortRouter
lvl.2
Germany

dronist Posted at 2017-12-25 16:29
You can get those legs going or hack the MP it is your choice

No more height restriction removal on the newest firmware (yes I did it without knowing you can't go back).  Or is it still possible?
2017-12-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules