Mavic Lost
2613 30 2017-12-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansfe22cbb2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 115213 ft
United States

I purchased it three weeks ago and I tried to use it to take videos last night, but I lost it somehow, I don't know what I can do now.
I manually had it return to home at around 40% battery because it is a little bit far away from me (3000 ft), I guess the wind was a little bit strong yesterday, and it lost signal during return, when the controller got signal, the drone has ony 12 percent battery left and it is doing an emergency landing, I found a 10 floor parking lot, and I tried to land there. Of course, I lost signal during the final landing and when I got there in a few minutes, it was not there.
My last GPS coordinate shows the drone was on the top of the building and I also confirmed this before it lost image.
Is it possible it will go to other places? I searched everywhere near the parking place and even climbed to the roof of the other two buildings close to it. I still haven't found it yet.

One thing to mentioned is that when I got close to the parking lot, my remote controller got a signal from drone (and drone battery was updated to 1 pecent) then it disconnected.

My question is what should I do now? Can I pull more information when it last contat? Can I contact DJI for replacement? Why does the drone give me such unreliable time prediction? I think it lost more than twenty percent within one minute. Besides, I bought the refresh plan a few days ago, can I use that? If not, can I cancel it? It is so crucial that I lost a drone with protection plan within three weeks of having it.

2017-12-25
Use props
fansfe22cbb2
lvl.2
United States

hmm, I am not exactly right about the battery information, here is the log
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/ITJVFNRHD5CLDCB8Z20Z/

Any suggestions what I can do?
2017-12-25
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

In the app go to find my drone it should show up the last coordinates.
2017-12-25
Use props
fansfe22cbb2
lvl.2
United States

Thank you for your reply! Merry Christmas!
But there is nothing in "find my drone" which is weird
2017-12-25
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

fansfe22cbb2 Posted at 2017-12-25 13:43
Thank you for your reply! Merry Christmas!
But there is nothing in "find my drone" which is weird

Merry Christmas.
If you open Google Earth and put in last location it give you this.

It looks like it landed on the street not the roof.
2017-12-25
Use props
1a1a11a
lvl.2
United States

G_Sig Posted at 2017-12-25 16:59
Merry Christmas.
If you open Google Earth and put in last location it give you this.
[view_image]

Thank you for the info, I lost the control while it was landing, it might be on the street, I search 50 meters around the building, not seeing anything.
2017-12-25
Use props
warpiggy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 109797 ft
Canada

Maybe some hobo picked it up.
2017-12-25
Use props
WebCo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 137362 ft
Australia

Sorry about your loss.... but it is unlikely you can cancel  DJI Care, or that DJI will be able to replace it as the drone seems to have been behaving exactly how it should be (i.e. there don't appear to be any errors.. and even if there were you need to provide them with the "faulty" unit).

I'd count yourself lucky though if all you have lost is your Mavic...

Not sure of the drone regulations in Atlanta, but in my neck of the woods (Australia) this flight would breach at least 3 flight regulations (no visual line of sight, flying at night and well over the max height limit) ... and could easily have resulted in thousand dollar fines as well.

Hope you get your drone back,  but please fly responsibly with your Phantom...
2017-12-25
Use props
1a1a11a
lvl.2
United States

WebCo Posted at 2017-12-25 23:04
Sorry about your loss.... but it is unlikely you can cancel  DJI Care, or that DJI will be able to replace it as the drone seems to have been behaving exactly how it should be (i.e. there don't appear to be any errors.. and even if there were you need to provide them with the "faulty" unit).

I'd count yourself lucky though if all you have lost is your Mavic...

flying within sight is regulation, I thought it is suggestion. And you are not allowed to fly at night? I think mavic is more visible in the dark. Yeah, I guess the altitude it too high, I seldom fly this high, but there are too many skyscrapers and I don't want to hit them. Anyway, thank you for the reminds, I will have a look at local regulations, I know certain places are prohibited, not sure about height and flying in the dark.
2017-12-26
Use props
marklyn59
lvl.4
Flight distance : 395072 ft
United States

Out of curiosity did you put your contact info anywhere on the drone?  If not, I'd watch craigslist, maybe someone found it and is trying to notify the owner some way.
2017-12-26
Use props
1a1a11a
lvl.2
United States

marklyn59 Posted at 2017-12-26 17:02
Out of curiosity did you put your contact info anywhere on the drone?  If not, I'd watch craigslist, maybe someone found it and is trying to notify the owner some way.

no,  I should leave my info on it, I never thought this can happen, I was told there are security cameras in the parking building and I might be able to get some help after holidays. I will watch craiglist for it. But why would someone take it, it is so dangerous if it starts while you were taking it. Thank you for suggestion!
2017-12-26
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

1a1a11a Posted at 2017-12-26 09:08
flying within sight is regulation, I thought it is suggestion. And you are not allowed to fly at night? I think mavic is more visible in the dark. Yeah, I guess the altitude it too high, I seldom fly this high, but there are too many skyscrapers and I don't want to hit them. Anyway, thank you for the reminds, I will have a look at local regulations, I know certain places are prohibited, not sure about height and flying in the dark.

Maintaining visual line of sight is a requirement and not a suggestion, but flying at night is not prohibited for recreational pilots.

The last entry in the log puts your Mavic at 33.75834345, -84.38864019, but in an urban location like that I'd be surprised if it were still in the same location where it landed.
2017-12-27
Use props
Welsh Mavic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 26493 ft
France

Sorry you lost your drone.

Regardless of what comments that can be made you have a good indication of where it landed.

You could ask the local cops if its been handed in but as mentioned you might be given some cufflinks you may not wish to wear; cops are cops and  ... well ...??

You can try Google alerts for anyone selling your done, do you have the serial number?  Put that in the alert or even someone trying to buy a controller etc etc.

Good luck anyway.  And I hope you find your drone.
2017-12-27
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Depending on the height of the parking garage, it may have had a rather hard landing.  Last IMU altitude was 208 feet and not yet within range of VPS.  Reportedly traveling at 13.7 mph (although my calculations say 8), at about 50-55 degrees.  That may have landed you on the Courtyard roof.
2017-12-27
Use props
Anthony566
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2488944 ft
United Kingdom

I am sorry to see you have lost your Mavic ....

But I am confused ....  you must have cancelled the on screen notifications about distance and power level ??  why would you do that ? the longer you go past 50% power level ( IMO ) or the notice that the GO4 app gives you to return home the more you are compromising your ability for a safe return.

I hope you find it.
2017-12-27
Use props
Ahmed Hussain
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1339761 ft
  • >>>
Kuwait

Sorry for the loss.

The last landing altitude record ( 208 ft) shows that it landed on a high building. That is the diffirance between home point level and the tall building which is the car parking roof.

Didn't find it means someone took it  
2017-12-27
Use props
1a1a11a
lvl.2
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-12-27 06:11
Maintaining visual line of sight is a requirement and not a suggestion, but flying at night is not prohibited for recreational pilots.

The last entry in the log puts your Mavic at 33.75834345, -84.38864019, but in an urban location like that I'd be surprised if it were still in the same location where it landed.

Oh, I should pay attention to it next time, I guess I won't fly out of visual line any more. Thank you!
I checked the surrounding, streets, I climbed up the courtyard roof (with authorization), and someone helped me checked the other roof today, it is not found. I also checked the security cameras on the parking deck, it is weird that I didn't see it landed there, something might happened after I lost signal. Do you have any guess?
2017-12-27
Use props
1a1a11a
lvl.2
United States

Welsh Mavic Posted at 2017-12-27 06:32
Sorry you lost your drone.

Regardless of what comments that can be made you have a good indication of where it landed.

ha, I wouldn't tell you that the building across is a police station...
and I finally got permission to view the cameras and I didn't see it landing, I am wondering what happened during the final landing.
BTW, do you think I can ask DJI to lock the drone? I still have the video that I used to purchase DJI care and I have SN in the video.
2017-12-27
Use props
1a1a11a
lvl.2
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-12-27 07:12
Depending on the height of the parking garage, it may have had a rather hard landing.  Last IMU altitude was 208 feet and not yet within range of VPS.  Reportedly traveling at 13.7 mph (although my calculations say 8), at about 50-55 degrees.  That may have landed you on the Courtyard roof.

Thank you for the information, I did check both roof across the street, nothing found. Is it possible that it can fly further away? Because I don't see it landing in the security camera (even though I had image of the parking deck before I lost signal).
2017-12-27
Use props
1a1a11a
lvl.2
United States

Anthony566 Posted at 2017-12-27 07:31

But I am confused ....  you must have cancelled the on screen notifications about distance and power level ??  why would you do that ? the longer you go past 50% power level ( IMO ) or the notice that the GO4 app gives you to return home the more you are compromising your ability for a safe return.

no, I didn't cancel that, I only got wind warning (which shows almost most of time), it didn't ask to RTH and I didn't notice the distance was almost 4000ft. I began manual return at around 40 percent battery, but apparently the wind was too strong, I am not experienced and I should not do this. I am learning the lesson.
2017-12-27
Use props
1a1a11a
lvl.2
United States

Anthony566 Posted at 2017-12-27 07:31

But I am confused ....  you must have cancelled the on screen notifications about distance and power level ??  why would you do that ? the longer you go past 50% power level ( IMO ) or the notice that the GO4 app gives you to return home the more you are compromising your ability for a safe return.

no, I didn't cancel that, I only got wind warning (which shows almost most of time), it didn't ask to RTH and I didn't notice the distance was almost 4000ft. I began manual return at around 40 percent battery, but apparently the wind was too strong, I am not experienced and I should not do this. I am learning the lesson.
2017-12-27
Use props
1a1a11a
lvl.2
United States

Ahmed Hussain Posted at 2017-12-27 08:37
Sorry for the loss.

The last landing altitude record ( 208 ft) shows that it landed on a high building. That is the diffirance between home point level and the tall building which is the car parking roof.

it is weird that I didn't see anybody and car that could took it from security camera of the parking deck (but the camera was not clear enough), I was the only car the drove to there after I lost signal, now I suspect it is not on the roof and even the direction may not be accurate.
2017-12-27
Use props
Caden Shelley
lvl.1
Flight distance : 135026 ft
United States

1a1a11a Posted at 2017-12-26 09:08

If there were skyscrapers around, and you were close enough to them, even with the altitude level you were at it's possible he was still within FAA guidelines, though to me still seems unlikely. If you still can't find it keep checking your DJI Go 4 app, as I believe when the drone turns on again it will update its last known location. However, this would only happen if it has gotten into the hands of someone else.
it also seems to me that you need to read the FAA guidelines, as you are very unaware of what they are.
2017-12-27
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

1a1a11a Posted at 2017-12-27 16:17
Oh, I should pay attention to it next time, I guess I won't fly out of visual line any more. Thank you!
I checked the surrounding, streets, I climbed up the courtyard roof (with authorization), and someone helped me checked the other roof today, it is not found. I also checked the security cameras on the parking deck, it is weird that I didn't see it landed there, something might happened after I lost signal. Do you have any guess?

Do you have any guess?

It was drifting to the northwest as it descended, so if it didn't end up on the parking garage I'd focus on the parking lot of the Hampton Inn across the street, though I don't believe it had enough height to land on the roof of that hotel. Ideally if you have a friend with a drone it might be worthwhile to have them fly around the area as it's sometimes easier to spot these things from the air, especially if it landed on a roof (e.g., that little building in the northwest corner of the parking garage) or in a tree. Good luck.
2017-12-27
Use props
Ahmed Hussain
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1339761 ft
  • >>>
Kuwait

1a1a11a Posted at 2017-12-27 16:28
it is weird that I didn't see anybody and car that could took it from security camera of the parking deck (but the camera was not clear enough), I was the only car the drove to there after I lost signal, now I suspect it is not on the roof and even the direction may not be accurate.

The Mavic was in landing case, yet you have seen the building down and the last record shows 208 ft altitude, which means almost the roof height with a last signal as you were near the parking building... You can't ignore all these and depend on unknown facts.
2017-12-27
Use props
Valdas Tomkus
New

Germany

In my opinion someone took it
2017-12-28
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Can you post the last minute of video?

I like the notion of getting a friend with a drone to help search.  You could launch from the top of the parking deck. Good luck!

DroneFlying, I'm curious why VPS altitude wasn't functioning if  he was close to the top of the parking deck.  Collision avoidance was disabled due to autolanding, but does that also disable the ultrasonic height measurement?
2017-12-28
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-12-28 07:14

I like the notion of getting a friend with a drone to help search.  You could launch from the top of the parking deck. Good luck!

I'm curious why VPS altitude wasn't functioning if  he was close to the top of the parking deck.  Collision avoidance was disabled due to autolanding, but does that also disable the ultrasonic height measurement?

No, the VPS height readings will still show up, but I can think of a couple of reasons it might not have in this case. First, Google Maps indicates that he was very close to the edge of the garage but still over it, though Maps isn't 100% accurate so he might not have really been directly over it. More likely, though, it's because he was still too high for the VPS height to be determined. His last recorded height was about 210 feet and based on the Google Street View image it looks like the garage was around 13 stories high, which would put him a bit out of the maximum VPS range of 40-ish feet above the surface.
2017-12-28
Use props
1a1a11a
lvl.2
United States

Ahmed Hussain Posted at 2017-12-27 20:51
The Mavic was in landing case, yet you have seen the building down and the last record shows 208 ft altitude, which means almost the roof height with a last signal as you were near the parking building... You can't ignore all these and depend on unknown facts.

yeah, I guess I should just let this go, I won't be able to find it any more.
2017-12-28
Use props
1a1a11a
lvl.2
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-12-28 07:14

I did check both manually and with drone, not find anything. It was not recording during the landing, do you think I can pull it from my phone even if it was not shooting?
2017-12-28
Use props
1a1a11a
lvl.2
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-12-28 08:26
I'm curious why VPS altitude wasn't functioning if  he was close to the top of the parking deck.  Collision avoidance was disabled due to autolanding, but does that also disable the ultrasonic height measurement?

No, the VPS height readings will still show up, but I can think of a couple of reasons it might not have in this case. First, Google Maps indicates that he was very close to the edge of the garage but still over it, though Maps isn't 100% accurate so he might not have really been directly over it. More likely, though, it's because he was still too high for the VPS height to be determined. His last recorded height was about 210 feet and based on the Google Street View image it looks like the garage was around 13 stories high, which would put him a bit out of the maximum VPS range of 40-ish feet above the surface.

the parking building is 10 floors, so I guess 30 meters, so the drone was around another 30 meters above the building.
2017-12-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules