12Next >
2001 46 2017-12-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
warpiggy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 109797 ft
Canada

Was going to jump into  buying a mavic in the next 2 weeks or so. and now I'm worried. After reading all the problems people are having with this complex little machine and the anguish people must go though I think I may change my mind. I was so looking forward to get into this and now I am having second thoughts. In Canada Best buy wont even take returns even if its defective. And it sounds like DJI has a lot of problems in general. With apps, trying to get tablets and phones to work, Drones coming out of the box defective. Just not sure. My heart says one thing and my brain says another.
2017-12-25
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Been flying my Mavic for almost a year now and no issues. Not everyone can say that but they will say once it’s up and flying you will be VERY HAPPY. Other people experiences may not be yours.
2017-12-25
Use props
dydog
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11627 ft
Italy

Hi warpiggy,
if it can help you, I would highlight that DJI is selling thousands of drones all over the world.
The cases you read about on the forums are a little percentage among the total, and this is common for every technology.
Personally, I never experienced any issue with my Mavic, and I cross the finger.

If you buy the drone in your Country and add the DJI Care program, just be sure that you read ALL the manuals before flying and you can fly your drone without worries.
There are people on the forum who have the Mavic since the beginning and succeeded in flying hundreds of miles without any issue.

If you follow all the instructions, DJI will never let you alone in case of problem.
2017-12-25
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

FYI, for every one who posts here with a problem, I would guess there are 99 who are not having a problem and are not wasting their time on this forum, instead out flying and enjoying their Mavic.
2017-12-25
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

Locoman Posted at 2017-12-25 23:46
FYI, for every one who posts here with a problem, I would guess there are 99 who are not having a problem and are not wasting their time on this forum, instead out flying and enjoying their Mavic.

Well said.....
2017-12-25
Use props
Colin G4GBP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42533 ft
United Kingdom

FYI, for every one who posts here with a problem, I would guess there are 99 who are not having a problem and are not wasting their time on this forum, instead out flying and enjoying their Mavic.

Agreed! On any forum like this you generally only hear of the problems. Those with problems are more vociferous. I have had my 'pilot failure' issues but the Mavic itself has been great. Unfortunately our weather is totally unsuitable for flying at the moment.
2017-12-26
Use props
Guidutra5
lvl.2

Taiwan

Hi Warpiggy, i have my MP for almost 3 months now and I had no issues. I took it to Italy in -12º and no problems at all.
2017-12-26
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

Dear warpiggy,

I had problems with my MAVIC.
But, despite of this, I love this little bird, and I would, certainly buy another one if I could.
Buy yours and fly safe!
Cheers.
2017-12-26
Use props
Steve1503
lvl.4
Flight distance : 89104 ft
United States

We rarely hear about people who are having no trouble with the Mavic, but we hear quickly when something goes wrong. Just saying.
2017-12-26
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

@warpiggy
Bottom-line is this...if you can afford the cost of the Mavic and spend the time reading manual/watching videos all will be fine.  Not unless you are one of those guys that want to fly 2 miles out over water on your 1st flights,  set long distance records on your 1st flights or launch off a 10 story balcony.  If you intend on doing any of those 3 ill-advised thing, then be prepared to join the "I lost/crashed my drone club."
2017-12-26
Use props
cristianc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008143 ft
Australia

The reality is, you should be worried about purchasing any drone in general, they are supposed to be looked after regardless. I had my Mavic for almost a year now and always followed the pre-checklist and used common sense when flying it. (definitely not a toy). I am personally super impressed just how tough the Mavic and how much technology it packs.
2017-12-26
Use props
Jffoto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 709 ft
Sweden

Yeah whatever you buy, if its have a forum, you are only gonna read negative reports.. you never hear the good ones, i got my Mavic since August and no problems
2017-12-26
Use props
Jffoto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 709 ft
Sweden

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-12-26 04:34
@warpiggy
Bottom-line is this...if you can afford the cost of the Mavic and spend the time reading manual/watching videos all will be fine.  Not unless you are one of those guys that want to fly 2 miles out over water on your 1st flights,  set long distance records on your 1st flights or launch off a 10 story balcony.  If you intend on doing any of those 3 ill-advised thing, then be prepared to join the "I lost/crashed my drone club."

Agree, i flew my Mavic in Beginner mode for 2 days before switching to normal
2017-12-26
Use props
bernardren07
Second Officer
Flight distance : 48504 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Dont have to worry. I bought mavic pro for my first time but found that it easy for me to use. No issue anything. If you are first time then play short distance and u will use to it.
2017-12-26
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

Buy for the sake of heaven... buy.!
You can also have problems with a brand new car, which in most places in the world costs significantly more than a MP. Only the fewest refrain from buying the car if they really want it and can afford it. If you want to feel the very special pleasure of flying a fantastic drone, you will not find anything like a MP in the price range IMO.
2017-12-26
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Go with your heart and buy the Mavic. You'll thank us later.
2017-12-26
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

And just to take the most important point out of all the great postings above, DO buy it.  BUT ! ! !    READ THE MANUAL! READ THE MANUAL! READ THE MANUAL! READ THE MANUAL! READ THE MANUAL! READ THE MANUAL!
2017-12-26
Use props
HomePoint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Buy it, learn all about it and about all the controls and the software, then fly extremely sensible and you will enjoy it.  Re-read the posts where people have lost drones or had issues and you will mainly see that quite a proportion are self inflicted, almost a last cry for help by the pilot.  Enjoy!
2017-12-26
Use props
RL_XXI
lvl.3
Flight distance : 456 ft
United States

Exactly!! While I haven't had a chance to put any real air time on my bird (been less than a week since I got it), I have flown inside my home a few times with no issues at all.
2017-12-26
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

RL_XXI Posted at 2017-12-26 12:00
Exactly!! While I haven't had a chance to put any real air time on my bird (been less than a week since I got it), I have flown inside my home a few times with no issues at all.

I have flown inside my home with no issues at all.

Well, while I'm happy you haven't had problems flying inside, IMHO indoor flying is not recommended for novice dronies.  Get some good airtime and experience outside first.  
2017-12-26
Use props
RL_XXI
lvl.3
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-12-26 12:05
I have flown inside my home with no issues at all.

Well, while I'm happy you haven't had problems flying inside, IMHO indoor flying is not recommended for novice dronies.  Get some good airtime and experience outside first.

While I agree it's not the best of idea's if one is new to the sport, I have extensive drone experience, I've built 3 racing drones and have two other Yuneec Typhoons one of which I took apart and transplanted the electronics into a different air frame. Never assume someone is not experienced. Here's the Typhoon with mini me riding piggy back on the Typhoon before I modified it and after and one of the racers I built from scratch and programmed.

2017-12-26
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

RL_XXI Posted at 2017-12-26 12:19
While I agree it's not the best of idea's if one is new to the sport, I have extensive drone experience, I've built 3 racing drones and have two other Yuneec Typhoons one of which I took apart and transplanted the electronics into a different air frame. Never assume someone is not experienced. Here's the Typhoon before I modified it and after and one of the racers I built from scratch and programmed.

[view_image]

Then you're obviously not a novice. Hope you can get outside soon.  You'll love the way Mavic handles.
2017-12-26
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Just be sure you buy from a place with a return policy. It may take several tries to get one without some kind of problem, so best if you can buy locally. But if you can get a good one without defects, it'll be worth it.
2017-12-26
Use props
RL_XXI
lvl.3
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-12-26 12:21
Then you're obviously not a novice. Hope you can get outside soon.  You'll love the way Mavic handles.

I was impressed from the first launch with the way it handles but yeah I'm anxious to get into the blue.
2017-12-26
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

Well said, buy from best buy Amazon or local shops which have better customer service than dji. You should expect problems so if it does not right out of the box don't hesitate to return and refund. I suppose everyone should do that for buying any products.
2017-12-26
Use props
SteelTallon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 204094 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've had the Mavic Pro for almost a year with no issues (other than Go app 4 crashing).  I feel confident flying the Mavic Pro, not something I can say with the Spark though.
2017-12-26
Use props
warpiggy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 109797 ft
Canada

Thank you all for the support. 25 posts in one day all saying to buy. I cant wait to tell my wife. Thanks for all your imput.
2017-12-26
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Sure seems like there's a lot of negativity in the last several posts.  Almost a year of ownership and no problems of any kind at all.  Do read the manual and watch lots of YouTube videos, over, and over, and over.  Reading the manual is even more important when you UNDERSTAND what the manual is saying.
2017-12-26
Use props
Brutale
lvl.2
Flight distance : 26 ft
United States

Read the FINE print when it comes to the warranty, what’s covered and that if you have a issue after 14 days they can legally replace your brand new 15 day old drone with a refurbished one. What other company does that? BUYER BEWARE.
2017-12-26
Use props
ritomavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 204380 ft
United States

@warpiggy you have at least started on the right foot, researching and reading up. I'm sure the number of successful stories FAR outweighs the disastrous ones, you just don't see them in a forum such as this because most of the people posting are looking for help. "I flew around the neighborhood today and all went well" you won't see many posts like that.
2017-12-26
Use props
ritomavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 204380 ft
United States

https://forum.dji.com/thread-125923-1-1.html

I stand corrected.
2017-12-26
Use props
Sonic Monkey
lvl.1
United States

I’m also a prospective buyer and have seen a lot of very bad indicators of pervasive quality issues.  Reading these replies has only reinforced this: seeing comments like /no problem except the app crashes/ and /will take multiple tries to get one that works so buy local/. Wait what? App Store rating of 2 stars. 14 days to return for a *new replacement* - how confidence inspiring is that? Glad some have had good luck but if I’m honest that’s all it seems like - pure luck.  
2017-12-27
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1624 ft
Australia

I love my Mavic, but no confidence in the app right now and i am using another.
Go 4 was fine for many months, but not anymore.
2017-12-27
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I like my Mavic so much over my other drones, I've ordered a platinum pro as well.

or you could start with a jnr one first
I have had zero issues with my mavic

2017-12-27
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

It has always been the case that it is the unhappy that shouts most. Therefore, they will also be among the most noticed. People who, for example, download an app and use it without problems are usually inclined to not return and praise it. It will in many cases give a distorted picture of what the overall assessment of it is. We take for granted that the things we download work as intended. If they do not, we tend to whine and complain. That's the easiest thing and the same goes for the physical things we buy.
2017-12-27
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

FYI, I am one of the 99% who have been flying for over 6 months, essentially no problems, (expect ones I have made myself). Even though I really haven't had any problems,  I have been a pretty active forum member, trying to help those who ask and listen.
2017-12-27
Use props
Sonic Monkey
lvl.1
United States

Locoman Posted at 2017-12-27 05:13
FYI, I am one of the 99% who have been flying for over 6 months, essentially no problems, (expect ones I have made myself). Even though I really haven't had any problems,  I have been a pretty active forum member, trying to help those who ask and listen.

Those who have been flying without product and software quality issues: thanks very much for weighing in. Question for you: are you using latest app and firmware? There are many folks here (in other threads as well) who Indicate no issues but who also absolutely refuse to upgrade to the latest in large part I’m sure due to what they read here.

Btw: Thanks again for productive comments, the people in this forum seem to be reasonable and well meaning for the most part so it’s useful to hear from you.

To DJI: Real or perceived, your quality issues are outshining your market leadership position and are impacting sales. Whether or not this impact is material is difficult to measure. Your apparent customer service policies only deepen my concerns. I have the means to purchase immediately but have put off a purchase until various indicators, such as your app rating and feedback on various threads in this forum improve. It’s true that complainers are the most vocal but app store scores are not universally negative, for instance, so bad scores cannot be categorically dismissed. The only person more vocal than a complainer is someone who has fallen in love with a brilliant product. You need more of those people. Too many of your supporters have to caveat their support with material exceptions (“mechically great...but software is bad, etc). The world of tech is full bad quality and I’m not looking for more weekly/monthly firmware wars than I’ve already got as a tech enthusiast.
2017-12-27
Use props
eddieNoob
lvl.4
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2017-12-26 08:45
And just to take the most important point out of all the great postings above, DO buy it.  BUT ! ! !    READ THE MANUAL! READ THE MANUAL! READ THE MANUAL! READ THE MANUAL! READ THE MANUAL! READ THE MANUAL!

Also: Read the manual.
2017-12-27
Use props
eddieNoob
lvl.4
United States

RL_XXI Posted at 2017-12-26 12:19
While I agree it's not the best of idea's if one is new to the sport, I have extensive drone experience, I've built 3 racing drones and have two other Yuneec Typhoons one of which I took apart and transplanted the electronics into a different air frame. Never assume someone is not experienced. Here's the Typhoon with mini me riding piggy back on the Typhoon before I modified it and after and one of the racers I built from scratch and programmed.

[view_image]

Very cool gear pron, sir!!!!! Very.
2017-12-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

As it happens to be, a forum is visited quite often by people who have questions.
(that is the nature of a forum I guess)
So you will find a lot of questions / errors whatsoever here.
Not many people will come here and tell how much they like their product.

So this is a place where a lot of things will seem to go wrong.

Some percentage of these questions is a real issue, some is more user related (not reading the manual, not paying attention to something etc. etc. )

Yes, a drone is far from a toy and yes, if you or the technology makes an error, things might become expensive because your drone will usually be in the air.
If you are scared about this, buy Care Refresh (like an insurance that covers even user error, except for some cases that are stated clearly)

For the return policy, DJI does also have regular warranty and your reseller will have to cooperate with that.
I have not heard about local resellers that don't (here in NL they are obliged to) but I might be wrong about that.

From what I have heard DJI support is usually very cooperative. But it is sometimes hard to prove you are claiming under warranty as you don't always recover your drone after a crash.
Good luck with your choice.
2017-12-27
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules