Inspire 2 drifting
1704 14 2017-12-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansdb6ff1f7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1998786 ft
United Kingdom

Flew yesterday in a mild wind. Latest Firmware () and IOS Go4 app. The I2 was drifting in a hover about 2 metres. Also had an issue where ATTI mode would engage for no reasonabout 10 metres away. Just wondering if the 2 incidents are connected. The drift was almost as if the I2 had lost satelittes for a second then re established a link.

2017-12-26
Use props
NJ Flying Slow
lvl.3
Flight distance : 765909 ft
United States

We’re you flying in an open field or is it possible there was a large amount of metal which could have disrupted the signal or caused interference?  I would try to recalibrate the compass in an open field just as a precaution. It is possible the two are related.
2017-12-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello Sir, your guess is right, when the GPS signal is poor and the aircraft enters into ATTI mode, the aircraft may not perform precision hovering.
Please fly the drone in the place with strong GPS signal, thank you for the understanding.
A-mode.png
2017-12-26
Use props
fansdb6ff1f7
lvl.4
United Kingdom

NJ Flying Slow  Posted at 2017-12-26 05:06
We’re you flying in an open field or is it possible there was a large amount of metal which could have disrupted the signal or caused interference?  I would try to recalibrate the compass in an open field just as a precaution. It is possible the two are related.

It's a field I've used every weekend for approx 12 months with no previous issues. Both with the Mavic and I2. Miles from anything metallic. Never less than 15 sats.  Never had any issues before this latest Firmware / IOS app "Upgrade".
2017-12-26
Use props
fansdb6ff1f7
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-12-26 05:10
Hello Sir, your guess is right, when the GPS signal is poor and the aircraft enters into ATTI mode, the aircraft may not perform precision hovering.
Please fly the drone in the place with strong GPS signal, thank you for the understanding.

There is nothing wrong with the GPS signal at this site. I have used it every weekend for 12 months with no issues until the recent firmware  update.
2017-12-26
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

When you say "drifting in a hover about 2 meters", do you mean 2 meters high or it was drifting 2 meters from its position? If the latter, what was the altitude of this hover?
Was this a circular "drift" or did it appear random as if caught by a draught?
How often do you calibrate your compass, did you calibrate before this flight?
Are there trees or any tall objects, hills etc. around this field? I'm just trying to build a picture of the area, a short video of the Inspire drifting and the area you are flying could be helpful.

Mark G
2017-12-26
Use props
fansdb6ff1f7
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-12-26 08:08
When you say "drifting in a hover about 2 meters", do you mean 2 meters high or it was drifting 2 meters from its position? If the latter, what was the altitude of this hover?
Was this a circular "drift" or did it appear random as if caught by a draught?
How often do you calibrate your compass, did you calibrate before this flight?

Hi Mark,
Drone was about 10m above ground level. about 5m in front of me. Line of trees about 10m behind me about 5m tall max. Not circular drift. It would float down wind about  2m before holding position. I'm used to  flying in ATTI mode and it was behaving in that manner albeit for only a short period of time (But no voice or monitor alert). Didn't make any attempt to relocate itself back to original location. I'd done an IMU recalibration so will try compass next.
2017-12-26
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Sounds about the same as the drift this guy was getting in another thread here:  Inspire 2 Shaking

Good luck sorting it out!
2017-12-26
Use props
fansdb6ff1f7
lvl.4
United Kingdom

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-12-26 20:55
Sounds about the same as the drift this guy was getting in another thread here:  Inspire 2 Shaking

Good luck sorting it out!

Thanks! No it's a different issue. I had the shaking I2 thing a few months ago. For me it was happening whenever the forward obstacle  avoidance was triggered. From memory I think I fixed it by rolling back and reinstalling everything I could one version at a time. This issue is a drift. If you're flying in a good breeze and switch to ATTI for 1 second. The I2 will drift downwind while retaining it's heading. That's what I'm getting.
2017-12-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fansdb6ff1f7 Posted at 2017-12-26 06:41
There is nothing wrong with the GPS signal at this site. I have used it every weekend for 12 months with no issues until the recent firmware  update.

It is normal that the aircraft cannot position itself in A-mode.
Have you tried another place to have a test? Please calibrate IMU and compass before flight.
2017-12-27
Use props
fansdb6ff1f7
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-12-27 05:47
It is normal that the aircraft cannot position itself in A-mode.
Have you tried another place to have a test? Please calibrate IMU and compass before flight.

The Drone is not in ATTI mode when it drifts. Please read the original post
2017-12-27
Use props
RichfromHowellN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 508255 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansdb6ff1f7 Posted at 2017-12-27 05:51

Have you tried flying it in a totally different area to isolate the conditions in your field are not a factor?  We understand that you have been flying this field for awhile and have not had this problem but I agree that you should still try to fly it in a totally different area to see if you are getting the same results.  Also check the position of your antennas.  Something simple as this could be causing it to drop out of GPS Mode into ATTI Mode on you.
2018-1-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fansdb6ff1f7 Posted at 2017-12-27 05:51

Sir, I agree with Rich, the drone will not position itself precisely if the GPS signal is weak, please try another place to see if the issue persists.
Thank you for the understanding.
2018-1-5
Use props
RobAlbania
lvl.4
Albania

I am also using latest firmware.  Hover is rock steady in all conditions so long as "P" mode is enabled and more than 9 GPS satellites.  Mine never switches to "ATTI" mode by itself.  So I think in your case - either something has gone wrong during the software upgrade, or there might be a hardware fault in the GPS receiver.
2018-1-5
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

Agreed, looks like FW upgrade has gone terribly wrong. You may have to send it back to DJI for repair cause doing all this upgrade and downgrade seems to be playing roulette.
2018-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules