1174 6 2017-12-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Harry Pottar
lvl.3
Flight distance : 13163 ft
United States

Hi and Merry Christmas,

I'm new to the Mavic, I have unboxed but not flown yet, I want to just practice take off, landing, hovering, figure of eights etc.

We live in Massachusetts suburbs in a small town, found out that our house at the end but the at the interjection of two no fly zones. One is a hospital helicopter pad the other is a small, very small municipal airfield that I have never seen in use, but I guess it must be at some point.

Can I practice fly in my own front garden, the front is large enough to fly around in, we are surrounded by large oak trees and a huge forest behind the house.

My plan is stay below the height of the house and well below the tree line, I want to just practice vey simple beginner mode maneuvers, I’m looking to learn to fly before I start taking video.

I’m I ok doing this, I do not expect a plane nor helicopter to fly that low over my house, just don’t want to get in trouble with some over jealous official.

tia
harry

2017-12-26
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

if you can take off, probably ok. but that type of NFZ may not let you even take off.
2017-12-26
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

NFZ's are like a total no go area - Invisible wall. The software does not allow you to do anything. Safety feature unless you have a licence and can get the area unlocked for licence reasons and have a good reason to fly in them. Download UAV Forcast as this shows you where the NFZ's are located. You will then be able to plan where you can fly and know where they are.
2017-12-26
Use props
Harry Pottar
lvl.3
Flight distance : 13163 ft
United States

Haven't tried to take off yet, but it does show as a no fly zone on the FAA App, just wondered if you could fly say to 10-15 feet before the restrictions, going to suck if I can not just hover practice in my own front garden.

Fully understand the restrictions placed around airports but I would have thought I could fly below my own homes roof top.

harry
2017-12-26
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

Try to take off. if it won't let you then there is nothing to worry about. you will have to go some where else, out of the NFZ to fly. I know, it's a bummer, but that is the FAA for you. it really depends on the classification of the NF. I have a grass field landing strip 2 miles away, I get the NFZ warning, just turn it off and fly, but keep an eye out for a small airplane. I also have a helicopter land pad at the hospital about 3 blocks away but that doesn't seem to effect my flying, but if I hear a chopper approaching, I will drop the Mavic out of the sky real fast.
2017-12-26
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Harry, the app will tell you if you can take off. Please check what the app says, find the coordinate Geo Zone that you are in according to this map: https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map, if you are not able to take off, you can try to apply for the unlock, or you need to move to a place with no restrictions to fly it.
If you only need to practice how to fly, I think the simulator can help you to learn. In the simulator, the drone will not really take off, but the app says it has taken off, and you can practice the operations on the app. Hope the info above can help.
2017-12-26
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

our house at the end but the at the interjection of two no fly zones. One is a hospital helicopter pad the other is a small, very small municipal airfield

I doubt very much that either one of those is a (true) no-fly zone. The "FAA app" you're referring to would be B4UFLY and yes, it includes all airports and heliports, but it's probably just showing that you're within the 5-mile radius that requires you to notify the airport / heliport operator and control tower (if any) before flying. In other words, you probably can legally fly from your house but only after notifying the hospital and airport of your plans, neither of which is likely to object.
2017-12-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules