Calibrate gimbal yaw?
8777 23 2017-12-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Steamplane
lvl.1

Australia

When I was forced to upgrade to GO-4, the gimbal is now 10 degrees to the left after auto calibration.
How do I calibrate the gimbal yaw please?
2017-12-26
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

With DJI Go4 V4.1.20 (and perhaps earlier) there are roll & yaw adjustments in Gimbal Settings / Adjust Gimbal.

I've not tried the yaw adjustment myself, but it should work I would think.

There was also an alternate method to use during calibration, that was to have aircraft tilted back and resting on rear arms when calibrating.
2017-12-26
Use props
Steamplane
lvl.1

Australia

Thanks for replying.
Doing the auto calibrate with the drone sitting back does not work.
If you look at the menu in GO-4 there is no adjustment for yaw, it has been removed by DJI.
2017-12-26
Use props
MrPinaColada
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790082 ft
United States

Steamplane Posted at 2017-12-26 15:03
Thanks for replying.
If you look at the menu in GO-4 there is no adjustment for yaw, it has been removed by DJI.

Yeah I have the same issue, I've just been dealing with it lately It seems to straighten out in flight, but if I'm recording a scene for more than 30 seconds sitting still, you can see the image slowly yaw to the left. Wish there was a fix to this but I have yet to find one.
2017-12-26
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Steamplane Posted at 2017-12-26 15:03
Thanks for replying.

I'm looking, and I have it, perhaps because I'm on 02.0.0600 Beta firmware.

I remember the yaw adjustment was introduced earlier and then disappeared primarily because it didn't work.

Untitled - Copy.png
IMG_0137 - Copy.PNG
2017-12-26
Use props
Steamplane
lvl.1

Australia

That would be great to have but unfortunately its not in GO-4. From memory it looks a lot like the older DJI GO before the update.
2017-12-26
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Steamplane Posted at 2017-12-26 18:12
That would be great to have but unfortunately its not in GO-4. From memory it looks a lot like the older DJI GO before the update.

That is DJI Go 4. Or at least, the iOS version.
2017-12-26
Use props
Steamplane
lvl.1

Australia

Aardvark where did you get the beta version?
2017-12-26
Use props
Steamplane
lvl.1

Australia

Aardvark Posted at 2017-12-26 18:31
That is DJI Go 4. Or at least, the iOS version.

Ahh ok, I'm using Android.
2017-12-26
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Steamplane Posted at 2017-12-26 18:34
Aardvark where did you get the beta version?

The Beta firmware for the P4 (02.00.0600) can be requested by sending a personal message to one of the mods with your account login name (usually your email address). When it’s been authorised you can see it in DJI Assistant 2, and update from there.
2017-12-26
Use props
Steamplane
lvl.1

Australia

Is there a calibration pot on the controller board?
2017-12-26
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Steamplane Posted at 2017-12-26 18:39
Ahh ok, I'm using Android.

Might be available in next Android release. I have never heard of any calibration potentiometer for the gimbal yaw adjustment.

2017-12-27
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

If the gimbal yaw tilts, please try the steps below:
1. Power off the drone, try to push it in the opposite direction to the limit for several times and check again.
2. If it doesn't help, please try to calibrate the gimbal as the picture shows below.
See if it works for you. gimbal cali.png
2017-12-27
Use props
Steamplane
lvl.1

Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-12-27 05:37
1. Power off the drone, try to push it in the opposite direction to the limit for several times and check again.
2. If it doesn't help, please try to calibrate the gimbal as the picture shows below.

Thank you. Yes I have tried that and it did not fix the problem.
2017-12-27
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Steamplane Posted at 2017-12-27 23:21
Thank you. Yes I have tried that and it did not fix the problem.

Could you please provide me with a picture of the drone and a screenshot of view on the app? Thank you.
2017-12-29
Use props
Steamplane
lvl.1

Australia

Thank you all for your help, my fault with the yaw 10 degrees out is now fixed. After the last post by you Thor, I went back and attempted the calibration with the P4 arms perpendicular to the horizon rather than the body leaning back on the motors or leaning forward on the skids. With the arms pointing directly up the auto calibration fixed the 10 degree error.
With me now able to record footage out in awesome national parks I'm a happy camper again. I'm also a professional video editor so having the cinematography medium is part of my work.
Once again thank you for your valuable assistance.
Cheers, Dave
2017-12-30
Use props
Pradipwb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20545 ft
  • >>>
India

Hi can you please post picture how you calibrate or video
2018-3-8
Use props
Archangel3356
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4655896 ft
United States

I’m going to have to try this calibration again only this time perpendicular like Steamplane did. Didn’t work the other way for me either. Same issue on my Advanced but not on my Standard. Spent a while looking for that yaw setting myself after a recommendation about it a week ago but never could find it. Now I know why.
2018-3-8
Use props
Ronaldo Junior
New

Brazil

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-12-27 05:37

Great!!! Fix my P4P
2018-8-17
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Hi Ronaldo, it's good to know that it fixed your situation. Happy flying.
2018-8-19
Use props
Daruman9999
New

Netherlands

I had that yaw off flying by 10 degrees or so. So annoying and I'm going on vacation soon!
I've just tried the calibration exactly like on that image at point 2 from DJI Thor's post. I can't fly anymore today, but is there any other way to find out it's fixed other than flying?
I so hope this fixed it! I don't even know how this was caused
2019-8-22
Use props
Paulius Janulevičius
lvl.1

maybe your YAW motor sensors got damaged :/ I read like sometimes it happen, then you have to take apart gimbal to look at YAW motor itself
2019-9-5
Use props
sedeco
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8060653 ft
  • >>>

some time skay adj working  and some time no adj
2019-9-6
Use props
Simple Simon
New

Australia

Hey everyone, I had the same problem although the gimbal was off centre by only 5° so these are my attempts to trouble shoot this fault:

1. Failed=Auto calibrate gimbal using DJI go4 app v4.3.16
2. Failed=tilt airframe on 45° camera facing up then auto calibrate gimbal using go4 app
3. Failed=contacted dji support they could not solve this fault via software troubleshooting so advised to send too repairer.
4. Success=after watching reading many YouTube videos and dji forum posts decided to try a manual adjustment. This involved flipping the airframe onto the motors without the blades onto a level surface, gently rotating the gimbal in the opposite direction to the direction of the off centre until reaching the resistance (in my case it was off centre to the RHT looking at the camera so I rotated the gimbal to the LFT), then release, then attempt again and applying a little more pressure each time until the whole gimbal arm will eventually click a few times past the resistance point only by approximately 10°, then release, and finally turn airframe upright onto legs and power on, then use go4 app to auto calibrate, problem solved.

Be mindful that I have not conducted a test flight to check if this fault returns and will update post in future if it does. If you are not confident in conducting a manual adjustment yourself then I suggest you the return to the dji registered repairer who will do a great job at assessing and testing the gimbal before using a standard procedure to fix this common fault.

Hope this is helpful and safe flying.
2022-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules