iPad PRO doesn't retain DJI GO Settings
1436 10 2017-12-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
inspirelwdd
lvl.1

United States

I replaced my iPad Mini with an iPad PRO. Using Inspire v1.2 it doesn't retain my app settings nor will it allow me to Calibrate. When  I connect Inspire with RC and the screen shows Calibrate when I press the Calibrate option nothing happens.
2017-12-27
Use props
dan_vector
lvl.4
Flight distance : 613753 ft
Oman

Have you tried a new data cable? I’ve had a similar issue with my I2 and iPad.
2017-12-27
Use props
inspirelwdd
lvl.1

United States

yes I've tried another cable. Still same problem
2017-12-27
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Same has happened to me.  Something drops the USB connection to both my iPad Air 2 and iPad Pro 10.5" A10X as well on different drones and RC units.  I suspect some of it is the fault of GO 4 not maintaining the data line, and/or iOS 11.2.1 is monkeying around with the USB port and maybe switching to charging and back to data feed at times.  Often I can unplug and replug the Lightning cable and GO will show a connection when I look in the "About" section at the bottom of the GO menu, RC version and aircraft may say N/C or be blank which also means nothing will calibrate or store a setting until the connection is made solid again and the version show up there.

DJI should be talking to Apple as to why their devices are not communicating well and if the USB port operation is at fault and how to correct it.
2017-12-27
Use props
inspirelwdd
lvl.1

United States

thanks for the response. Please note, I'm using the DJI GO app, not the DJI GO 4
When I was desperate to try anything, I tried using the DJI GO 4 app and the interface recognized my Inspire v1.2 immediately and told me to use DJI GO and even sent me on the iPad to the App Store to download it (I already had it on the iPad Pro). I found that interestingly that the RC and iPad Pro recognized that it wasn't connecting to an Inspire v2. It recognizes that but doesn't save my settings! I'm missing something here, just can't figure out what it is.
2017-12-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, for the data that is saved in the flight control and the camera, the settings will not be reset when you use a new DJI Go.
Could you please tell me what settings are not saved? The ''Calibrate'' in the APP is for RC or gimbal? Thanks for the input.
2017-12-29
Use props
inspirelwdd
lvl.1

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-12-29 04:18
Hi there, for the data that is saved in the flight control and the camera, the settings will not be reset when you use a new DJI Go.
Could you please tell me what settings are not saved? The ''Calibrate'' in the APP is for RC or gimbal? Thanks for the input.

Update, after spending a couple hours with the Inspire v1.2 yesterday (12/28/2017), here is what I've determined:

1. Calibrate (for gimbal and GPS). When I open the DJI Go App and choose the button to Calibrate, the app is dead. I cannot Calibrate. I've now come to find that this is telling me the RC and the Inspire are not truly connected. This also means if I ignore the Calibrate and continue, the bird will fly, but I've lost my settings and even if I try to update the Name of the bird in the app itself and press SAVE it doesn't work. That was my first indicator that the app and the bird were not working properly. So, in summary, if I press Calibrate and nothing happens, every setting that I've configured is gone.

2. Its a game of which sequence of on/off is used for the app to connect and Calibrate to work. RC/DJI GO/Inspire I've tried different sequences of what to turn on first. Eventually if I try different sequences after about 4 or 5 attempts the app will finally recognize the bird and I can Calibrate. Then all my settings are there.

3. When I do get RC/DJI GO and INspire to recognize each other, MAX DISTANCE doesn't work. I can set 3000m and it will always revert back to 300. This has never happened in the past two years. Either a DJI or iOS 11 update has crippled this setting to not work. Since I replace my Mini with a new iPAD PRO, I'm assuming Apple has crippled this setting in the app. Or DJI has changed their flight control.

4. It appears as though DJI requires a pilot to be logged in to a DJI Account for the app to work. I just discovered this. And, that also means a pilot has to be on a cellular or internet connection for the app to work. All the crap online of putting your device in Airplane mode is a pipe dream.
2017-12-29
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

inspirelwdd Posted at 2017-12-29 07:34
Update, after spending a couple hours with the Inspire v1.2 yesterday (12/28/2017), here is what I've determined:

1. Calibrate (for gimbal and GPS). When I open the DJI Go App and choose the button to Calibrate, the app is dead. I cannot Calibrate. I've now come to find that this is telling me the RC and the Inspire are not truly connected. This also means if I ignore the Calibrate and continue, the bird will fly, but I've lost my settings and even if I try to update the Name of the bird in the app itself and press SAVE it doesn't work. That was my first indicator that the app and the bird were not working properly. So, in summary, if I press Calibrate and nothing happens, every setting that I've configured is gone.

Although you are using GO 3 and I'm using GO 4 with the I2, your results mirror mine where the settings are not being saved at times.  Even though the RC works for flying and the screens says "Ready to Fly" and green, but it isn't fully ready.

I suspect the two iPads I'm using are dropping the data line somehow, or GO isn't connecting to the USB right and the connection between the iPad and GO isn't right.  If I unplug and replug a few times it all links up again.   Not a cable issue as I've tried about 6 of them along with a new one from Apple Store.

Sometimes if I close down GO 4 and move to an app like Litchi or Autopilot, those apps will not connect right either.  It's as if GO alters the USB port somehow when I shut it off.  Could be the iOS SDK that DJI is using to make GO for Apple devices is messed up too - and maybe same for the app makers too.  I dunno, but something is wrong somewhere.

2017-12-29
Use props
Mark Guille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Hi,
Just to clarify, we are talking about the Inspire1?
What app setting are you talking about?
What exactly are you trying to Calibrate?
Max distance cannot be set for 3000m, I believe 500m is the max.
You do not have to be connected to the internet for the app, controller or aircraft to work.
It seems you may be experiencing more than one issue here, please answer mine and Mindy's questions and we will get this fixed for you.

Mark G.
2017-12-29
Use props
inspirelwdd
lvl.1

United States

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-12-29 10:55
Hi,
Just to clarify, we are talking about the Inspire1?
What app setting are you talking about?

1. Yes, Inspire 1 or technically referred to as v1.2

2. RTH altitude, name in the About section, max distance, RC mode 2 etc. etc.

3. As stated prior, when you connect RC and bird, the DJI GO app flashes a screen with CALIBRATE. I can press Calibrate and nothing happens. This has told me as previously stated that when this happens, settings are gone but bird can fly. NOTE if you just 'x' that screen you have the DJI Go app and can proceed from there, just with no prior settings. I agree with prior post by "fansa84fe8a4" that the USB connectivity appears to be suspect for data. As stated, if you power up/down and reconnect multiple times Calibrate will work and that tells me all my settings in app will be there.

4. Max distance has never been an issue in the past with my Inspire 1. I have the FPVLR enhanced radio and have been able to fly 2-3 miles with no problem if I wanted to. By enabling MAX DISTANCE now and it resetting to 500m, this is now crippling my work efforts. That's just under .25 mile. Our work team for two years now does have been recording flight video of canals and normally distance is always a half mile such that spotter has VLOS. This setting alone has crippled us.

5. you most certainly need internet if you fly the east coast of Florida with the amount of small airports. DJI app recognizes and enforces their GEO fencing.

6. Mindy I recognize the flight settings are not retained in the DJI GO app but on the Inspire itself. Calibrate as I've already stated is when you first connect with the app and that's for the gimbal on the bird.
2018-1-4
Use props
inspirelwdd
lvl.1

United States

Since nobody has posted a reply, I have an update that resolves most of the issues. For Mark Guille and Mindy I present the following:

On Friday, January 5th, I spent a few hours with the Inspire 1 here on campus refining exactly what is working and what is not. Here is what I found.

When you initially connect the Inspire 1 with the RC and you have a green light for a connection, the DJI GO app is started. The app opens with the camera view from the Gimbal and a screen pops up with the option to CALIBRATE. Here has been the initial communication failure that I've been posting information. If I press CALIBRATE and nothing happens, I can confirm two things. 1) I can x out the screen and lift off and fly. However ALL settings are not in the app. This has been my major problem with all of this. 2) if I press CALIBRATE and the screen pops up to show rotation horizontally of the aircraft and then vertically, I know at this point all my settings in the app are there. Full functionality is present and all is working as it has been.

HOW DO I RESOLVE CALIBRATE NOT WORKING? I have to turn on/off the bird, the RC, even shutdown the app and restart until FINALLY CALIBRATE will work. This may take 3 or 4 times for each until it works!! That is the solution which nobody in the form has been able to tell me a solution. I have the latest firmware for all hardware. I do believe there is a communication issue with the USB or something else. I've tried multiple apple cables etc. etc.

MAX distance was also solved. I just turned it off completely and with my extended radio I can now the necessary distance with VLOS required for my job.
2018-1-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules