Anyone tell me who I can contact to try to get commercial drone use legalized?
2770 9 2014-10-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
celebrate1203
lvl.1

United States

If anyone can tell me who I would contact to try and get commercial drone photography legalized or how I can get a permit to do it commercially would be greatly appreciated.

First I want to thank you for taking the time to read this and imputting your opinion. I am supporting all drone pilots who want to make a go of this commercially that other drone users have spoiled it for us all.
The world of drones have given remote controlled model aircraft pilots a bad rap.
There is always one bad apple in the whole bunch that spoils it for everyone.
On one side of the coin you have, (and I am just as concerned if I may say so myself), is the issues of privacy and safety. I can see where there would be concerns remote controlled drone users doing invasion of privacy in the lives of the general public. I can also see the safety issues of a unqualified, (and I don't want to use the word, "PILOT"), lets just drone or rather remote controlled aircraft user. It is a major issue.

On the flip side of the coin with the adaptations of set of rules and standards for a qualified and certified licensed drone and remote controlled model aircraft pilot I strongly believe that the commercial usage of drones would be a real asset to the wealth of our economy. With the adaptation of regulations and commercial use permits and licenses pilots that were hired for image and video flights would be a real asset to the economy for such work for hire by realtors, travel agencies, farmers, business promotionals, topographical maps, law enforcement, fire fighters, news media, legal applications, and other qualified applications that are a asset to the state of our economy.

I also strongly believe that just like taking a drivers training class and test to qualify for a drivers license to drive a vehicle on the road, I strongly feel that by requiring anyone having the desire to commercially want to do work for hire with their drone, (or rather remote controlled model aircraft), should be required to take a course in drone flight and testing and upon passing the completed course then should be issued a certificate or license as a legal pilot for commercial work for hire abiding to the rules and regulations of the commercial guidelines. This would assure that safety issues and privacy guidelines are set.
I actually would require this of both hobbiests and commercial remote controlled model aircraft pilots alike and would definitely allow FPV's as it put the pilot in more control of the aircraft.
In my opinion the hobbiest drones and remote controlled model aircrafts are far safer then helicopters and planes as they are program to return to the point of origin if the battery gets low or it gets out of the field of the remote control signal.
I have yet to purchase a drone but I am looking at purchasing a DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus in February contingent of the current laws.
The proposal that I have made above would definitely address the safety and privacy issues along with promoting a better economy for everyone. With the proper regulations such as the ones I listed above would promote a better world for everyone.
Please consider this and give it a chance.
Thank you for your time.

First I want to thank you for taking the time to read my post.
The world of drones have given remote controlled model aircraft pilots a bad rap.
There is always one bad apple in the whole bunch that spoils it for everyone.
On one side of the coin you have, (and I am just as concerned if I may say so myself), is the issues of privacy and safety. I can see where there would be concerns remote controlled drone users doing invasion of privacy in the lives of the general public. I can also see the safety issues of a unqualified, (and I don't want to use the word, "PILOT"), lets just drone or rather remote controlled aircraft user. It is a major issue.

On the flip side of the coin with the adaptations of set of rules and standards for a qualified and certified licensed drone and remote controlled model aircraft pilot I strongly believe that the commercial usage of drones would be a real asset to the wealth of our economy. With the adaptation of regulations and commercial use permits and licenses pilots that were hired for image and video flights would be a real asset to the economy for such work for hire by realtors, travel agencies, farmers, business promotionals, topographical maps, law enforcement, fire fighters, news media, legal applications, and other qualified applications that are a asset to the state of our economy.

I also strongly believe that just like taking a drivers training class and test to qualify for a drivers license to drive a vehicle on the road, I strongly feel that by requiring anyone having the desire to fly as a hobbyist or commercially want to do work for hire with their drone, (or rather remote controlled model aircraft), should be required to take a course in drone flight and testing and upon passing the completed course then should be issued a certificate or license as a legal pilot for commercial work for hire abiding to the rules and regulations of the commercial guidelines. This would assure that safety issues and privacy guidelines are set.
I actually would require this of both hobbiests and commercial remote controlled model aircraft pilots alike and would definitely allow FPV's as it put the pilot in more control of the aircraft.
In my opinion the hobbiest drones and remote controlled model aircrafts are far safer then remote controlled helicopters and planes and easier to fly as they are programmed to return to the point of origin if the battery gets low or it gets out of the field of the remote control signal.
I have yet to purchase a drone but I am looking at purchasing a DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus in February contingent of the current laws. Yes I am a novice at this and yet to purchase my first quad copter but I first have to educate myself first and foremost.
The proposals and regulations that I have made above for both the hobbyist and the commercial pilot would definitely address the safety and privacy issues along with promoting a better economic environment for everyone along with keeping unskilled and unlicensed pilots from flying all together.
I also live in Northern Wisconsin and am looking for a drone club in our area if you know of any.
Please consider
Thank you for your time.

"FAA guidelines allow drones for recreational use if they weigh less than 55 pounds and remain under 400 feet, within the operator’s sight, and at least five miles away from an airport."
2014-10-24
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

As you live in the USA, the FAA is the controlling body responsible for your airspace.
So that would be your first point of contact.

2014-10-25
Use props
chapsrlz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2604163 ft
Mexico

for what i read in multiple forums and conversations i've had with lawyers for now its not illegal  to use your quad for commercial purposes in the us.
2014-10-25
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Well the FAA says otherwise and they control the airspace.

FAA
2014-10-25
Use props
celebrate1203
lvl.1

United States

Thank you so much for the link. this will definitely give me a sense of direction. I really appreciate it.
2014-10-25
Use props
SteveMann
New

United States

To answer your original question.  You can't.  There is no process to get licensed or permission to fly your sUAV for hire in the US because there are no rules for commercial sUAV operations.  This is the loophole that other posters have referred to.  No rules, nothing to enforce.

There have been two recent court cases where the FAA tried to enforce rules on sUAV operators.  Most significantly the Pirker case.  In Pirker, the judge basically dismissed the FAA's case because the FAA has no rules regarding this class of aircraft.  The other case, the cite escapes me right now, was dismissed because the judge wasn't convinced that the FAA had jurisdiction.

The FAA's fallback is 14 CFR 91.13 - Careless or reckless operation.  
91.13 (a) Aircraft operations for the purpose of air navigation. No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.

This was the charge used by the FAA in the two cases mentioned - not as commonly rumored to be because of commercial operations.  It may have been the commercial operations that got the attention of the FAA, but the actual complaint was 91.13(a).
http://www.kramerlevin.com/files/upload/PirkerDecision.pdf

Historically 91.13(a) has been the FAA's failsafe when they want to get a conviction from a licensed pilot.  If they can't get a conviction on any other charges, they always throw in 91.13(a).  Their conviction rate is near 100%.  Almost always a plea bargain where all other charges are dropped in exchange for a guilty admission to 91.13(a).  Being beaten in court by these two cases must have the FAA lawyers reeling.  The FAA says they have the jurisdiction, but so far two courts have said otherwise.

2014-10-25
Use props
chapsrlz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2604163 ft
Mexico

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2014-10-26 00:01
Well the FAA says otherwise and they control the airspace.

FAA

those are recomendations about what you can and cant do, but theres no law prohibiting,the comercial use of a drone
2014-10-25
Use props
shep941
lvl.2

United States

I'm new here but I did some looking into this issue before purchasing my Phantom. The FAA does have some info on it:

http://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=76240

This seems to suggest it is in fact illegal to use drones commercially. What I have found is that most people who are using them commercially (photography) are basically just charging for the editing of the photos taken. Invoices are structured so that the actual photography is free. Personally I may use mine for some realty and wedding photo purposes but I will be very selective on the areas in which I do this.
I do have to say this is not very frightening to me though: "When the FAA discovers apparent unauthorized UAS operations, the agency has a number of enforcement tools available to address these operations, including a verbal warning, a warning letter, and an order to stop the operation."

Basically they can say.. "Hey dude, stop doing that." Not quite the epitome of punishment.

2014-10-27
Use props
celebrate1203
lvl.1

United States

SteveMann Posted at 2014-10-26 11:49
To answer your original question.  You can't.  There is no process to get licensed or permission to  ...

Thanks for the input. That helps to clarify things.
2014-10-31
Use props
celebrate1203
lvl.1

United States

shep941@gmail.c Posted at 2014-10-28 07:23
I'm new here but I did some looking into this issue before purchasing my Phantom. The FAA does have  ...

That's interesting. You are the second person that I heard that you don't charge for the Drone flight but you can charge for the editing and that from what I heard is suppose to be perfectly legal from what I have heard. Actually I had seen this on a YouTube video.
http://youtu.be/hZrVh2tQcx4
2014-10-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules