RC Gimbal Dial Malfuntion
1354 15 2017-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
IndianaDroner
lvl.2
Flight distance : 534006 ft
United States

After just updating to the latest DJI Go 4 app, and then upgrading the RC firmware to 1.9.3,  the gamble dial will not tilt the camera vertically any longer.   Instead, it twists the gimble horizontally.
I have no reason to believe anything is failing on the Drone itself as it was working fine before this update and the firmware update was only to the RC.   Also, the C1 button function to toggle the camera view from straight ahead and straight down still functions correctly.   It is possible I changed a setting somewhere in the App that alters this behavior but I have not been able to locate any setting that makes the gimbal twist left/right instead of up/down.  

Any suggestions?

Firmware

Firmware

2017-12-28
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Check that the RC is set to 'Mode 2' working in the aircraft status menu in DJI Go 4. This is the default and used by most. The RC can be customised and it may have gone to setting other than Mode 2.
2017-12-28
Use props
IndianaDroner
lvl.2
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-12-28 14:49
Check that the RC is set to 'Mode 2' working in the aircraft status menu in DJI Go 4. This is the default and used by most. The RC can be customised and it may have gone to setting other than Mode 2.

Thank you for the suggestion Aardvark.   Great suggestion but unfortunately the Mode was still at 2 and changing it didn't correct the problem.
2017-12-29
Use props
IndianaDroner
lvl.2
United States

Follow up on my original post;    I'm now convinced that this error is somehow tied to the RC firmware 1.9.3 update.   
2017-12-29
Use props
IndianaDroner
lvl.2
United States

IndianaDroner Posted at 2017-12-29 05:56
Follow up on my original post;    I'm now convinced that this error is somehow tied to the RC firmware 1.9.3 update.

By using the rollback firmware menu from the DJI GO 4 app, I selected the 1.6.0 firmware version and reimaged the RC with it.   After restarting the RC, the gimbal dial correctly controlled the camera tilt once again.   Of course, with that old of firmware date it insisted I update it to the latest again, and when I applied 1.9.3 again, the error returned.

Again, I'm not sure if there is a problem with the firmware (it would seem everybody that applied 1.9.3 would be complaining), but something in the 1.9.3 code may be forcing a setting that creates this unusual behavior.   I've been through every menu and can't identify anything that would make the gimbal twist horizontally instead of tild vertically.

Appreciate any suggestions from DJI Support
2017-12-29
Use props
calls4u2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 211604 ft
United Kingdom

Could try factory reset of RC, relink to bird? Djigo app could also be the thing here. Maybe try litchi? Either way it seems clear this bug has been introduced with the newer firmware and dji themselves should be responding rather than staying silent?
2017-12-31
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, I've just read your replies in another post and sorry for the late response. There is one point need to be clarified, the beta firmware is only for aircraft, instead of RC, please kindly note. Regarding the issue you mentioned, would you mind uploading a short video for double check? We'd like to look into it.
2018-1-4
Use props
IndianaDroner
lvl.2
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-1-4 19:29
Hi there, I've just read your replies in another post and sorry for the late response. There is one point need to be clarified, the beta firmware is only for aircraft, instead of RC, please kindly note. Regarding the issue you mentioned, would you mind uploading a short video for double check? We'd like to look into it.

Here is a link to a very short video.  I'm turning the RC Gimbal dial with my finger and note the Gimbal is turning instead of tilting.   Very odd.

I understand that the Beta code is for the aircraft and I'm not confident it will correct the problem but I'm at a loss as what to do next.   I'd love to try and revert to the RC 1.9.2 firmware to see if that corrects it but I don't know if that is an option to me.  I appreciate your insights.

2018-1-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

IndianaDroner Posted at 2018-1-5 15:11
Here is a link to a very short video.  I'm turning the RC Gimbal dial with my finger and note the Gimbal is turning instead of tilting.   Very odd.

I understand that the Beta code is for the aircraft and I'm not confident it will correct the problem but I'm at a loss as what to do next.   I'd love to try and revert to the RC 1.9.2 firmware to see if that corrects it but I don't know if that is an option to me.  I appreciate your insights.

Well received. I'll forward to our engineers for review and will come back if there is any update. Appreciate your patience.
2018-1-8
Use props
IndianaDroner
lvl.2
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-1-8 18:27
Well received. I'll forward to our engineers for review and will come back if there is any update. Appreciate your patience.

Thanks Susan.  I thought you and the engineers might find this interesting or helpful.  I downgraded the RC Firmware to 1.6.0 through the DJI Go 4 app.  As you'll note in the video, with that version of firmware installed, normal operation of the camera gimbal is restored.  

Unfortunately, that firmware is incompatible with the latest aircraft firmware so it I wouldn't be able to actually fly with that combination however, I think it demonstrates that the problem is somehow related to RC firmware 1.9.3 and aircraft firmware 2.00.0106.

2018-1-9
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

IndianaDroner Posted at 2018-1-9 15:49
Thanks Susan.  I thought you and the engineers might find this interesting or helpful.  I downgraded the RC Firmware to 1.6.0 through the DJI Go 4 app.  As you'll note in the video, with that version of firmware installed, normal operation of the camera gimbal is restored.  

Unfortunately, that firmware is incompatible with the latest aircraft firmware so it I wouldn't be able to actually fly with that combination however, I think it demonstrates that the problem is somehow related to RC firmware 1.9.3 and aircraft firmware 2.00.0106.

Thanks for getting back to us. We'll double check with our engineers.
2018-1-10
Use props
IndianaDroner
lvl.2
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-1-10 19:17
Thanks for getting back to us. We'll double check with our engineers.

Susan,

I wanted to provide you with an update on this issue.  The problem still persists - when using RC firmware version 1.6.0, after upgrading the the latest aircraft firmware, 02.00.070 and IOS DJI GO 4.1.22,  I was able to control the camera gimbal pan correctly.  However, once I upgraded the RC to the latest 1.9.3 firmware, the gimbal error has returned.  See post #8 video for the error.

In your reply a few weeks ago you mentioned that you would forward the issue to the engineers - have they looked into this matter at all?  These errors all started when I updated the RC to 1.9.3.  Since these errors all started when I updated the RC to 1.9.3 - could you please give me access to downgrade the RC to 1.9.2?

2018-1-30
Use props
BNags63
lvl.2
Flight distance : 228632 ft
United States

Had the same issue.  Resolved with Litchi app. Settings-Keys-C1 Long Press (Left).  Then try your gimbal. This worked for me. Couldn't believe how simple the fix was. Was racking my brain for weeks!
2018-2-1
Use props
BNags63
lvl.2
United States

Sorry, forgot to mention that once you tap "C1 Long Press (Left)" in the app, Look for "Gimbal Pitch/Yaw". Choose this for your C1 button.
2018-2-1
Use props
IndianaDroner
lvl.2
United States

BNags63 Posted at 2018-2-1 10:27
Had the same issue.  Resolved with Litchi app. Settings-Keys-C1 Long Press (Left).  Then try your gimbal. This worked for me. Couldn't believe how simple the fix was. Was racking my brain for weeks!

Wow!  How the heck did  you ever think to try that?!

It worked for me as well.  I'm thankful that somebody else had the same problem as me and that you found a solution.   It seemed to have perplexed the DJI engineers and I've been struggling with the problem since Christmas.

Whatever magic it was, it seems to have reset something in the non-volatile memory of the RC and straightened it out.  Thanks BNags for taking the time to reply!

2018-2-1
Use props
BNags63
lvl.2
United States

IndianaDroner Posted at 2018-2-1 17:25
Wow!  How the heck did  you ever think to try that?!

It worked for me as well.  I'm thankful that somebody else had the same problem as me and that you found a solution.   It seemed to have perplexed the DJI engineers and I've been struggling with the problem since Christmas.

I cannot take full credit on this. My new friend Luke across the pond pointed me in this direction. Just wanted to pay it forward. Now go fly!
2018-2-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules